Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali (61631 Views)

Bassey /Joshua: The 1st And Current World Boxing Champions Both Nigerian-British / South Africa’s Tete Makes Boxing History With Fastest World Title Knockout / Anthony Joshua: The World Heavy Weight Champion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Yomiwayne80(m): 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2017
blackberlin:
I'm a die hard AJ fan, but to be honest, I was a bit skeptical before the match cos I thought AJ was a bit inexperienced compared to Wladmir, even Lennox Lewis doubted AJ was gonna win. He's won most of his fights based on fitness, but yesterday, homeboy really surprised me. . . He showed everyone he's a combination of fitness and brains. He conserved his energy (they both did) till the latter rounds and then unleashed on bros Klitschko. He almost knocked egbon out cheesy grin. . . Omo komo grin

For the next 10 years, the boy's gon be beating everybody! Big ups Naija blood! cool

I heard Aj faked his exhaustion in round 6....part of his game plan
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
Yomiwayne80:

I heard Aj faked his exhaustion in round 6....part of his game plan

It's possible. Boxing is 10% power 90% brains. It's those tricks that actually determine who wins.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Yomiwayne80(m): 7:52pm On Apr 30, 2017
LorDBolton:

Exactly , the klitchsko I know couldn't loose his bearings so easily

Also when the ref ended the bout I was surprised Cos he was taking punishment but he wasn't actually being pummeled

Think I'm lying ? Go cheek out his face immediately after the bout !

I really think boxing is dead , no more gutter rats na ajebutter fight dem dey do ...

Until he die before you will know he's not been pummeled abi?
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Yomiwayne80(m): 8:03pm On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

Dude, different folks age differently. Stop comparing foreman to Klitschko. They both aged differently. Besides, Foreman retired earlier in his career and did not have as much mileage on him than Klitschko has right now and that's why he was able to come back.

Secondly, Klitschko lost to Deontay Wilder in the previous fight. In fact the fight was so bad that Klitschko could barely even get off punches talkless of landing them. That showed how much his skills have eroded. Like i said earlier, father time has caught to the man and he needs to walk away.

Please when did klitscko fight deontay? Date, time and video because I am not understanding you
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Yomiwayne80(m): 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:
Klitshcko beat the shit out of Samuel Peters, a Biafran....

Anthony Joshua, a Nigerian revenged.

BIAFRANS SHOULD THANK NIGERIANS

Bow down to someone greater than you like Klitschko did

In this picture.... Watch the younger kitschko behind Anthony... He was like "abi make I enter this ring kill this guy Now
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 8:55pm On Apr 30, 2017
Yomiwayne80:

Please when did klitscko fight deontay? Date, time and video because I am not understanding you

Sorry, it was his previous fight with Fury.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2017
blackberlin:

You dont know jack about boxing bros.

And would you be kind to expound on that please? Thank you.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 8:57pm On Apr 30, 2017
luminouz:

Ogbeni u can lie ooooo....klitschko was beaten by deontay wilder Where? Ur dreams N stop with d bullshiiit weak defence ur putting up...u contradicted ursef n its pathetic!!!!! Ur just a sore loser!! Hope u didn't use ur house rent to play bet9ja on d match!!!

I meant Fury, i corrected myself.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 9:00pm On Apr 30, 2017
aribisala0:

I am talking about ALL HIS FIGHTS OVER THE AGE OF 40 and you reference his LAST FIGHT

Eventually time will catch up no one is arguing that so what is your point?
You are contradicting your claim that age is everything
Or that a 30 year old Klitschko was better when infact he was only fighting journeymen .
My point is you cannot just say 40 is the magic number for everyone.
Some 40 year olds will beat some 20 year olds at THE HIGHEST LEVEL.
We have seen this many times

Fighting is all about speed, speed, speed. Hand speed, speed of thought, reaction speed and speed of movement. As you grow older, you begin to lose some of that speed. Yes, you acquire experience but at a certain age, your experience is not able to counteract the speed of a younger and better boxer. Yes, at 40 you can still beat some young guys but when you face a real challenger: a real killer then you would know you are in trouble.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by SirShymexx: 9:17pm On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

Fighting is all about speed, speed, speed. Hand speed, speed of thought, reaction speed and speed of movement. As you grow older, you begin to lose some of that speed. Yes, you acquire experience but at a certain age, your experience is not able to counteract the speed of a younger and better boxer. Yes, at 40 you can still beat some young guys but when you face a real challenger: a real killer then you would know you are in trouble.

You're another casual. grin

Heavyweight boxing isn't just about speed - it's more about power, chin, heart, technique, and experience. And age had absolutely nothing to do with yesterday's fight.

Based on your posts on this thread and the other bitter naysayers, I doubt anyone of you know anything about Wlad. Yesterday's Wlad was arguably the best Wlad that has ever stepped in the ring. And to those saying 10-15 years ago or if he were still youthful - the young Wlad was a flawed fighter that got knocked the fvck out by Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster. He never became a champion until Emanuel Steward became his coach, after his fight with Samuel Peters (I think they linked up in 2006). And after that, Emanuel Steward helped him develop the highly destructive jab that made him a great heavyweight champion and he was undefeated after that, until he got complacent against the awkward Tyson Fury.

Also, it takes time to master a new skill and Wlad didn't perfect the jab until 2008/2009, hence he used to hold people a lot and he was deemed boring. So, a younger Wlad wouldn't have beaten AJ. He fought one of his greatest fights yesterday, without holding and that was the first time his chin was proper tested, post-Emanuel Sanders. Age had nothing to do with it. Two warriors fought and AJ survived in the lion's den. Give the man his props.

When he beats both Fury and Wilder, you naysayers are going to come back with a next excuse. The same excuse you never made for Mike Tyson who fought straight bums and tomato cans because he was an interesting fighter. Tyson lost all his fights against prime hall of fame boxers and a journeyman like Buster Douglas but some of you think he's a god, when even Riddick Bowe was a better fighter than Tyson and would've knocked him out. No wonder he ducked Bowe.

Stop hating on the warrior. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by aribisala0(m): 9:20pm On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

Fighting is not alll about any one thing so quit talking nonsense.

Speed does not matter equally in all categories.Heavyweight boxers tend to be quite slow. It is lear to e you know little about boxing and are full of opinions .Why 40 why not 30 or 38 or 37 . Like I said people age differently. Mike Tyson was pretty much finished at the age of 30. In his case speed was very important because he was a very small heavyweight who was also very mobile.Once he lost that everyone was beating him. He was a very differentt and unique heavyweight . Younger and better you have not come up with what that means Lennox Lewis was pretty much unknown before the age of 27 even though he is same age as Tyson who was world champion at 20 and he retired around 36 meanwhile Holyfield who is his senior fought till he was nearly 50.

In my opinion if a boxer does not fight so many times he can carry on for much longer.We see Mayweather fighting once or twice a year till he is nearly 49

Sugar Ray Robinson considered to be the Best boxer ever foght over a hundred fights in an era when they fought fought 15 rounds.

He had a very successfull career up till the age of 44 and he fought over 10 times a year many times

Fighters with a defensive or counter punching style like Hopkins have lasted long after what was expected in their weight division

Go and watch Hopkins
against Pascal

Kelly Pavlik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5hsNdT5EI
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 9:39pm On Apr 30, 2017
SirShymexx:

You're another casual. grin

Heavyweight boxing isn't just about speed - it's more about power, chin, heart, technique, and experience. And age had absolutely nothing to do with yesterday's fight.

Based on your posts on this thread and the other bitter naysayers, I doubt anyone of you know anything about Wlad. Yesterday's Wlad was arguably the best Wlad that has ever stepped in the ring. And to those saying 10-15 years ago or if he were still youthful - the young Wlad was a flawed fighter that got knocked the fvck out by Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster. He never became a champion until Emanuel Steward became his coach, after his fight with Samuel Peters (I think they linked up in 2006). And after that, Emanuel Steward helped him develop the highly destructive jab that made him a great heavyweight champion and he was undefeated after that, until he got complacent against the awkward Tyson Fury.

Also, it takes time to master a new skill and Wlad didn't perfect the jab until 2008/2009, hence he used to hold people a lot and he was deemed boring. So, a younger Wlad wouldn't have beaten AJ. He fought one of his greatest fights yesterday, without holding and that was the first time his chin was proper tested, post-Emanuel Sanders. Age had nothing to do with it. Two warriors fought and AJ survived in the lion's den. Give the man his props.

When he beats both Fury and Wilder, you naysayers are going to come back with a next excuse. The same excuse you never made for Mike Tyson who fought straight bums and tomato cans because he was an interesting fighter. Tyson lost all his fights against prime hall of fame boxers and a journeyman like Buster Douglas but some of you think he's a god, when even Riddick Bowe was a better fighter than Tyson and would've knocked him out. No wonder he ducked Bowe.

Stop hating on the warrior. grin

He will beat Wilder and Fury?? You mean this lumbering fighter will beat the same Fury that did not wait till the 11th round to deal with Klitschko? hahaha. You mean this fighter with only 19 fights under his belt and suspect stamina would last against Wilder? You british kids sef, na wa o.

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 9:48pm On Apr 30, 2017
aribisala0:

Fighting is not alll about any one thing so quit talking nonsense.

Speed does not matter equally in all categories. Heavyweight boxers tend to be quite slow. It is lear to e you know little about boxing and are full of opinions .Why 40 why not 30 or 38 or 37 . Like I said people age differently. Mike Tyson was pretty much finished at the age of 30. In his case speed was very important because he was a very small heavyweight who was also very mobile.Once he lost that everyone was beating him. He was a very differentt and unique heavyweight . Younger and better you have not come up with what that means Lennox Lewis was pretty much unknown before the age of 27 even though he is same age as Tyson who was world champion at 20 and he retired around 36 meanwhile Holyfield who is his senior fought till he was nearly 50.

In my opinion if a boxer does not fight so many times he can carry on for much longer.We see Mayweather fighting once or twice a year till he is nearly 49

Sugar Ray Robinson considered to be the Best boxer ever foght over a hundred fights in an era when they fought fought 15 rounds.

He had a very successfull career up till the age of 44 and he fought over 10 times a year many times

Fighters with a defensive or counter punching style like Hopkins have lasted long after what was expected in their weight division

Go and watch Hopkins
against Pascal

Kelly Pavlik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5hsNdT5EI

And that's why speed matters a lot. Obviously its not the only thing. There is also technique, punching power, heart etc but with two fighters having the same in equal measure i will take the quicker boxer. There is a reason Ali is the greatest of all time: he punched like a heavyweight and moved like a lightweight.

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by SirShymexx: 9:48pm On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

He will beat Wilder and Fury?? You mean this lumbering fighter will beat the same Fury that did not wait till the 11th round to deal with Klitschko? hahaha. You mean this fighter with only 19 fights under his belt and suspect stamina would last against Wilder? You british kids sef, na wa o.

Lmao @ suspect stamina. You're a casual and I guess that's why you didn't see the sneaky left hook Wlad caught him when he was over-celebrating in the 5th round that got him shaken. Yes, he almost punched himself out in trying to end the match there due to inexperience and when you're as muscular as he's because muscles consume more oxygen than the normal average human being, you can gas out pretty quick. But he showed heart and that's what true champions are made of.

You mean the same fat gypsy cu.nt that got put to sleep by a slow and bummy Steve Cunningham? grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7pR_-7W3w

When AJ's punches hit him, he won't get up till the next day. grin
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by aribisala0(m): 9:56pm On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

And that's why speed matters a lot. Obviously its not the only thing. There is also technique, punching power, heart etc but with two fighters having the same in equal measure i will take the quicker boxer. There is a reason Ali is the greatest of all time: he punched like a heavyweight and moved like a lightweight.
You just keep mixing irrelevant points here we are talking about age and then you bring in Ali.How does Ali make your case was he immune to ageing.Did time stand still for him.?

Whether he is greatest of all time is just hype and opinion. He was the greates of his time. I don't see him as greater than Holmes or Lennox Lewis just louder . but that is irrelevant here.

People age differently that is all there is to it some boxers peak earlier than others and some do so later and last longer than others
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by tinktanker: 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

It should be something but i will like to see him fight Tyson Fury first.
AJ will beat fury hands down.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 11:04pm On Apr 30, 2017
tinktanker:
AJ will beat fury hands down.

Wait what?!?!?!? hahahahhaha, you mean the same AJ that almost got knocked out by a 41 year old Klitschko? The same Klitschko that Fury handled almost easily?

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 11:12pm On Apr 30, 2017
SirShymexx:

Lmao @ suspect stamina. You're a casual and I guess that's why you didn't see the sneaky left hook Wlad caught him when he was over-celebrating in the 5th round that got him shaken. Yes, he almost punched himself out in trying to end the match there due to inexperience and when you're as muscular as he's because muscles consume more oxygen than the normal average human being, you can gas out pretty quick. But he showed heart and that's what true champions are made of.

You mean the same fat gypsy cu.nt that got put to sleep by a slow and bummy Steve Cunningham? grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7pR_-7W3w

When AJ's punches hit him, he won't get up till the next day. grin

Every dog has his day but don't worry we will see what happens when your boy enters the ring. You Brits sure know how to hype your sportsmen after they show a little bit of promise hahaha.

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by SirShymexx: 11:24pm On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

Every dog has his day but don't worry we will see what happens when your boy enters the ring. You Brits sure know how to hype your sportsmen after they show a little bit of promise hahaha.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5236421_deontay_jpeg2c033f9d0fdf8df96f544e48381e107f

LMAO! And your rebuttal is the greatest yank hype job since Mike Tyson, yes? grin cry

And just like Tyson...Wilder has only fought tomato cans and bums...and his arse is going to get knocked the fvck out soon like Tyson when he steps in the ring with a half-decent opponent.

Anyway, let me get Teddy Atlas tell you how much of a bum Wilder is (Teddy Atlas is never wrong):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHGc9x-uW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Q2HMYCQcQ
grin grin grin grin
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 1:55am On May 01, 2017
SirShymexx:

LMAO! And your rebuttal is the greatest yank hype job since Mike Tyson, yes? grin cry

And just like Tyson...Wilder has only fought tomato cans and bums...and his arse is going to get knocked the fvck out soon like Tyson when he steps in the ring with a half-decent opponent.

Anyway, let me get Teddy Atlas tell you how much of a bum Wilder is (Teddy Atlas is never wrong):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHGc9x-uW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Q2HMYCQcQ
grin grin grin grin

Excuse me? how old are you again?
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by tinktanker: 4:41pm On May 02, 2017
davidif:

Wait what?!?!?!? hahahahhaha, you mean the same AJ that almost got knocked out by a 41 year old Klitschko? The same Klitschko that Fury handled almost easily?
i guess u watched. The back of tv while watching klitschko v fury fight
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Teebouye995(m): 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2017
blackberlin:

Do you know the meaning of a knock out? Google is your friend
that was a knock out bro, learn
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 01, 2017
Teebouye995:

that was a knock out bro, learn

Chai... Stop displaying your ignorance. We have knock down, knock out and technical knock out TKO which happens when a boxer falls down 3 times in a row.

School yourself.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Teebouye995(m): 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
blackberlin:

Chai... Stop displaying your ignorance. We have knock down, knock out and technical knock out TKO which happens when a boxer falls down 3 times in a row.

School yourself.

really?? so AJ won by what??
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Teebouye995(m): 4:52pm On Jun 01, 2017
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2017
Teebouye995:

really?? so AJ won by what??

By points/ Unanimous decision... Though he would have knocked Klitschko down for the third time in the same round to make it a TKO if the fight hadn't been stopped.

You've learnt something today. . . (you're welcome).
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 01, 2017
Teebouye995:

here, https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2017/apr/29/anthony-joshua-wladimir-klitschko-world-heavyweight-title-fight-live , help urself.

Lol. Yeah, the more you read headlines the more confused you get. If you like take it, if you like, don't.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Teebouye995(m): 5:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
blackberlin:

By points/ Unanimous decision... Though he would have knocked Klitschko down for the third time in the same round to make it a TKO if the fight hadn't been stopped.

You've learnt something today. . . (you're welcome).

lol, here again

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/anthony-joshua-beats-wladimir-klitschko-10325317
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 01, 2017
Teebouye995:

lol, here again

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/anthony-joshua-beats-wladimir-klitschko-10325317

Bros, I give up. Believe what you will. Those are not technical facts, just captions. Please talk to anyone who knows about the sport.

Au revoir!
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Teebouye995(m): 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2017
blackberlin:

Lol. Yeah, the more you read headlines the more confused you get. If you like take it, if you like, don't.

ure.d only one.who thinks odawise.

here again, http://boxrec.com/boxer/659461 , 19 ko on his card. but no, they are wrong and ure right.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Teebouye995(m): 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2017
blackberlin:

ure.d only one.who thinks odawise.

here again, http://boxrec.com/boxer/659461 , 19 ko's on his card. but no, they are wrong and ure right.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Teebouye995(m): 5:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
blackberlin:

Bros, I give up. Believe what you will. Those are not technical facts, just captions. Please talk to anyone who knows about the sport.

Au revoir!

shows you dont know about the sport afterall. mr teacher.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Paul Pogba Celebrates Eid Mubarak With His Wife, Zulay / Harry Kane Weds Katie Goodland (photos) / Iran Women Attend First Football Match In 40 Years (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.