Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land (38093 Views)

Meet 50 Obas Who Rule Lagos With Oba Rilwan Akiolu / Oba Akiolu Arrives For Fashola's Photographic Foundation Ceremony In Style / Oba Rilwan Akiolu's Palace On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Externalhat: 1:42am On May 07, 2017
9jakool:

People like him like to twist history. He once claimed that the only Yorubas are Oyo and that oyo was never an empire. He also said most SW was under Benin. Bro, his yeye claims are laughable. grin

I stop reading when he said he knows nothing about Oranmiyan, you asked him to provide the list of the said SW town under Benin and he started throwing insult. You must be a very patient person in real life. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by 9jakool: 1:58am On May 07, 2017
Externalhat:

I stop reading when he said he knows nothing about Oranmiyan, you asked him to provide the list of the said SW town under Benin and he started throwing insult. You must be a very patient person in real life. cheesy

Hey bro, I no go vex for am.
I see trash like this all the time on NL. I dey laugh real hard. cheesy

You just gained a follower.

Make we rid of all these crap.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Externalhat: 2:19am On May 07, 2017
9jakool:

Hey bro, I no go vex for am.
I see trash like this all the time on NL. I dey laugh real hard. cheesy

You just gained a follower.

Make we rid of all these crap.

I respect your kinda person, very matured and patient. I dont have that kinda patience, many of them just conjure rubbish together and start spamming it everywhere as fact. His only contibution to this thread is insult, arrogance and some useless map cheesy cheesy By their warped logic, since Oranmiyan was sent to Benin to be the king(First King), can we now say Benin is Yorubaland. Oranmiyan was buried in Ile Ife and his staff still there till now. Oba Ewuare confirmed same and said he is the 40th while Oranmiyan brought Obaship to Benin and the first Oba of Benin.

The history of Lagos is even on Lagos state website, Awori's are owner of Lagos excluding Ikorodu and Epe Ijebu. Aworis (Olofin) migrated from Ile Ife, some children of Olofin Ogunfunminire, called the Idejos are the owners of Lagos land. All these are indisputable facts.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Christistruth00: 2:26am On May 07, 2017
history2901:
Could you please tell me the source of the book "in which british library is it" and also I would like to have all inforation on that book from the british library which is hosting it. And since the alleged author of the book keeps talking about the past (things which allegedly happened at least 60 years before he allegedly wrote the book), I would like to see historical documents proving those things.
You should take a look at the more than 400 year old map which I provided and comment over it.

Notes on Yoruba and the Colony and Protectorate of Lagos, West Africa
Alfred Moloney
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography
Vol. 12, No. 10 (Oct., 1890), pp. 596-614
Published by: Wiley on behalf of The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers)

Also note that the first English Slave ships reached the Niger delta in 1553. So deadly was the climate that, of those ships' crews of one hundred and forty men, one hundred died of fever.

Ruy de Sequeira who visited the area in 1472 named the area Lago de curamo.

Below is a map of the area from 1786. In the middle can you see place called Jabum where Lagos is? That is how the Portuguese pronounced Ijebu a sub tribe of the Yoruba who also own Epe,Ikorodu and even the area around lekki today.Tha Awori's were there but lived in numerous smaller settlements . To the bottom left can you see Popo ? The Popos are a sub tribe of the Yoruba and the King of the Popo's was in control of Badagry when the missionaries Thomas freeman and Henry Townsend first reached there in 1842.
Again near the middle of the map can you see a place called Odi in the exact location where Ijebu Ode (sometimes called Ode for short) a Yoruba town is today? Even the Lagos Island is labelled Jiboe (Jebu).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Nobody: 2:51am On May 07, 2017
Nice one bro, it also gives an address, i will visit the place the next time I go to london.
That being said, I read the page and except the reference to the alleged situation sixty years before writing the paper, it only talks about yoruba speaking peoples and where they live. It doesn't specify the yoruba speaking peoples as being sovereign in those places. It even mentions a place (illorin) which was being rulled by el sultan.
Christistruth00:

Notes on Yoruba and the Colony and Protectorate of Lagos, West Africa
Alfred Moloney
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography
Vol. 12, No. 10 (Oct., 1890), pp. 596-614
Published by: Wiley on behalf of The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers)

Also note that the first English ships reached the Niger delta in 1553. So deadly was the climate that, of those ships' crews of one hundred and forty men, one hundred died of fever.

1 Like

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Nobody: 2:54am On May 07, 2017
@externalhat, keep up your commedy, I am very much amused.

1 Like

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Externalhat: 4:37am On May 07, 2017
history2901:
@externalhat, keep up your commedy, I am very much amused.

Are you tired of insulting those that are lecturing you on your own bini history? You have been thorougly schooled, so go suck breast and let mature people discuss history. Capish?

3 Likes

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Christistruth00: 4:54am On May 07, 2017
history2901:
Nice one bro, it also gives an address, i will visit the place the next time I go to london.
That being said, I read the page and except the reference to the alleged situation sixty years before writing the paper, it only talks about yoruba speaking peoples and where they live. It doesn't specify the yoruba speaking peoples as being sovereign in those places. It even mentions a place (illorin) which was being rulled by el sultan.

Didn't you read the document I uploaded earlier.
Kingdoms of the Yoruba by Robert Sydney Smith page 13

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Nobody: 5:40am On May 07, 2017
Please, you have to reference the book.
I need to know if it is authentic. Tell me the library it is from and give me all available details.
Anybody can write a book and put whatever rubbish he wants on it. That is why I need the referrences.

Christistruth00:

Didn't you read the document I uploaded earlier.
Kingdoms of the Yoruba by Robert Sydney Smith page 13
Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Oxtonguy: 7:09am On May 07, 2017
BininEmpire:

Man stop deluding yourself, you know the truth, the Oba has spoken and I want you to get that into your fvcking skull,
Its a confirmed fake news, stop jubilating over our Yoruba land. Now let me come and be going smiley

3 Likes

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by laudate: 3:43pm On May 07, 2017
history2901:
The first pre-colonial map of the area was made more than 600 years ago and it shows lagos as part of Benin empire, and I am talking about the entire Lagos and even more than just Lagos, most of southwest nigeria and even territory outside nigeria were also part of the Benin empire.
So get your facts right. Why so much hate for the truth ?

Guy, what part of the Southwest was under the Benin empire? kindly list those communities, please. undecided

1 Like

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Nobody: 4:47am On May 08, 2017
Oxtonguy:
Its a confirmed fake news, stop jubilating over our Yoruba land. Now let me come and be going smiley

Why should I jubilate over Lagos?
You were our slaves, go thank the white men for librating you from our strong military, go learn about the history and great warriors of the Benin Kingdom

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 08, 2017
Benin didn't have slaves.
Benin had citizens of an extended empire.
We didn't participate in the slave trade.
BininEmpire:

You were our slaves, go thank the white men for librating you from our strong military, go learn about the history and great warriors of the Benin Kingdom

1 Like

Re: Oba Rilwan Akiolu Has Allegedly Said That Lagos Is Not Part Of Yoruba Land by Externalhat: 1:51pm On May 08, 2017
BininEmpire:

When they reply you in kind, you will cry to the mods. You are trying to compare an irrelevant and tiny Bini to a blessed Yoruba nation. Even your useless king dare not call Yoruba slaves. You must be out of your mind.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Emir Dantoro Suspends Officials For Allowing Fulani Herdsmen Enter Communities / Nigeria Bans Foreign Models & Voice-Over Artists In Advertisements / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.