Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,154 members, 7,845,807 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management (30585 Views)

Drone Shots And Photos Of Covenant University CU! Architectural Wonders!! / The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students / Meet Dr. Timothy Aneke Who Ordered The Shaving Of Covenant University Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Lancelott(m): 12:21am On May 06, 2017
Akainzo:

Let me give you this hypothetical situation: You check into an hotel which clearly stated it is a Non-Smoking facility and you signed at the reception that you will not smoke. You however were caught smoking and thrown out.

Would you be suing to enforce your fundamental rights of choice?
Like I said refer to the case of courtouise I stated above. but let me answer your hypothesis from a legal point. you can sue and I'll tell you how. Now a hotel with strict non smoking policy also has rules as regards privacy. Now if a notice is placed in the lobby you'll smoke in your room and the hotel has no right to intrude into your room it's called invasion of privacy which is a breach of contract. A hotel staff cannot enter without knocking... now if you are caught smoking under hotel management rules, they'll afford you the courtesy of notifying you on their non smoking policy... and why do you think hotels have ash trays in rooms?? for decoration?? the hotel was a bad example as I can tell you ways to sue... like I said loop holes
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Lancelott(m): 12:27am On May 06, 2017
Okay imagine this scenario. imagine if CU had a rule as black Thursday where everyone must wear black... they introduced the rule during your stay on campus and suddenly you are caught in between because black is forbidden in your own church... So will you go against your doctrines to please their doctrines?? Not all churches celebrate Easter hence they won't attend Easter programmes.... that is termed forceful conversion. They are imposing their religious beliefs upon others.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Akainzo(m): 6:47pm On May 06, 2017
Lancelott:
Is it listed that you must attend all church programmes I ask again, if you are a member of seventh day Adventist or deeper life I think that does not celebrate Easter, so you'll compulsorily attend Easter programmes knowing fully well its against your belief. Contracts have what you call clauses my dear. Don't argue based on the principles of the church, CU is recognized as a separate entity trust and as such is billed that way. They cannot impose their beliefs of the church on members of other churches. So if they suck human blood on Wednesdays, that means you'll join them because you signed up for the tenements of a school and not a sect... look at the case of courtouise and Chelsea. when they loaned him to athletico, they signed an agreement that he won't play against Chelsea but he did..do you know why?? because the football law super cedes their agreement. The constitution provides loop holes for such agreements.

Nope, the football law is not what it is, it is the EUFA provisions/rules but if he had been loaned to a club under the English FA, he would not have played against Chelsea.

So you see, rules and agreements matter. Any member of the 7th Day Adventist that knowingly signs up to an agreement that warrants Easter, knowing fully well he / she doesn't celebrate Easter would be in breach of that agreement and thus would be suspended and cannot claim any fundamental rights under Nigerian laws.
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Lancelott(m): 11:46pm On May 06, 2017
Akainzo:

Nope, the football law is not what it is, it is the EUFA provisions/rules but if he had been loaned to a club under the English FA, he would not have played against Chelsea.

So you see, rules and agreements matter. Any member of the 7th Day Adventist that knowingly signs up to an agreement that warrants Easter, knowing fully well he / she doesn't celebrate Easter would be in breach of that agreement and thus would be suspended and cannot claim any fundamental rights under Nigerian laws.
First of...it was a written agreement between the two clubs wasn't it? Your technicality no carry weight. secondly there is no listing of Easter in the agreement....guy read those citations given by the op...in case you don't know what I mean by citations, the examples listed eg this vs that... and lastly they signed up for an educational institution. CU is licensed under the NUC not a religious organization. Don't confuse both...I get your point but to say they can't sue because they agreed is wrong... quick correction, if it's not listed that you must attend Easter programmes, but it's written in an assumed form such as "you are expected in spiritual activities... " then trust me that's called entrapment and renders the agreement invalid. it can also be noted as intentional concealment by the school in a bid to mislead. Trust me grounds to sue.
I hire you in a bank and you sign after reading the T&C of the company where it States you'll participate fully in the company's activities but I don't explicitly specify... you find out after signing that you have to engage in marketing which might involve professional prostitution or sleeping with rich customers to close accounts. You refuse based on principles and sue...will they use the you signed up for it excuse?? understanding matters bro. consult a lawyer
Re: The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management by Akainzo(m): 9:08am On May 07, 2017
Lancelott:
First of...it was a written agreement between the two clubs wasn't it? Your technicality no carry weight. secondly there is no listing of Easter in the agreement....guy read those citations given by the op...in case you don't know what I mean by citations, the examples listed eg this vs that... and lastly they signed up for an educational institution. CU is licensed under the NUC not a religious organization. Don't confuse both...I get your point but to say they can't sue because they agreed is wrong... quick correction, if it's not listed that you must attend Easter programmes, but it's written in an assumed form such as "you are expected in spiritual activities... " then trust me that's called entrapment and renders the agreement invalid. it can also be noted as intentional concealment by the school in a bid to mislead. Trust me grounds to sue.
I hire you in a bank and you sign after reading the T&C of the company where it States you'll participate fully in the company's activities but I don't explicitly specify... you find out after signing that you have to engage in marketing which might involve professional prostitution or sleeping with rich customers to close accounts. You refuse based on principles and sue...will they use the you signed up for it excuse?? understanding matters bro. consult a lawyer

Please, you are using analogies and citations that aren't relevant. Traveling for business ain't listed as part of the bank's service agreement either, but fail to show up for a scheduled business travel then go claim fundamental rights.

Like I said, my opinion is no case submission but they are entitled to go to court for actual determination.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pix : Meet The Man Who Invented/Started Examination / Four Students Celebrating The End Of WASSCE At Lagos Beach Drown / UNILAG Law Student Makes Ankara Ties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.