Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising (9494 Views)

When ICE Cars Drowns in Flood,All-electric Cars Keeps Cruising:Check This Out / Auto Tanny Goes To Neutral While Cruising / Which Is Faster Between Power Bikes And Sport Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by prophetfire: 10:44am On May 06, 2017
honmusa:

Your explanation of overdrive is wrong.
You actually need overdrive if your are on highway cos overdrive is your last gear.
It is at overdrive you can achieve best fuel mileage and technically ,your vehicle speed is greater than engine speed.
pls does overdrive increase fuel consumption?
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by honmusa(m): 12:10pm On May 06, 2017
prophetfire:
The purpose of overdrive is to minimise fuel economy as possible at high speed .
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 06, 2017
prophetfire:

Turning overdrive off will increase fuel consumption at high speed because the car will not engage higher gears and to compensate for the higher speed car will run at higher rpm.
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by timifakay(m): 3:00pm On May 06, 2017
Suspense12:
I have tried to understand the real difference between driving in Sport (S), Economy (E) or Over Drive (O/D). I have read about it but it just seems to confuse as I have not gotten the tangible difference between in all those gear selection.

Which is more economical when it comes to fuel consumption ?
S, E or O/D

Which ensure smoother gear transmission and speed?

I appreciate your contributions...

Sport mode is meant for driving conditions when fuel economy is not as important as speed, i.e when you want to accelerate and attain top speed rapidly.
Economy is when you are more concerned about using the minimum amount of fuel, therefore you want even acceleration to prevent sharp braking. This way the car accelerates and drives without demanding for too much power from engine in order to achieve best fuel consumption rate.
Overdrive is when want to achieve highest gear ratio thereby allowing car move as fast as possible without engine being overworked.
Cruise control is what allows driver set a minimum speed for the car, therefore when engaged the car would automatically compensate to move at that speed except brake is applied to reduce speed.

Therefore Sport and Economy are drive modes while overdrive is maximum gear and cruise control is driver assist.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by samijay8(m): 3:48pm On May 06, 2017
Haven't see autojosh maybe he'll help here
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 06, 2017
Defcon1:

Hebrew 11:1
grin
Hebrews 11:1
lol
I claim it sir in Jesus name, Amen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What To Do When You Have A Tyre Blowout / Beware Of Fake Tyres, Electrical Equipment, SON Tells Nigerians / Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.