Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Advantages/disadvantages Of Multiple Websites For The Same Business - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advantages/disadvantages Of Multiple Websites For The Same Business (2026 Views)

Disadvantages Of Dating A Blogger (website Owner). / Discover the 10 Most Powerful Tips of Digital Marketing in Nigeria / Nollywood Is Now Developing Websites For Movies! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Advantages/disadvantages Of Multiple Websites For The Same Business by kheme(m): 1:53pm On Jan 08, 2010
what are the advantages/disadvantages of having multiple websites for the same business?

here's the situation. my client has me doing some SEO work on his current website, his MAIN website, and at the same time, he has someone else working on other website and he's even asking me to consider making a 3rd website. i have tried to talk this guy out of multiple websites but i need more concrete reasons to support my argument.

so far, what i can come up with is:

- if there are multiple websites for the same business, then which address do you ask people to visit or publish (in emails, cards, posters, etc)
- secondly, if google should spot both websites are having similar contents, then only one (whichever one google feels is more relevant) will be displayed in search results. the down site to this is that there's almost no guaranty as to which page of which website google will display.

so i need you guys to help me with more reasons why or why not to get multiple websites for the same business.

PS: when i say multiple websites, i dont mean multiple domain names pointing to the same site. i mean completely different websites with different designs altogether.

Main site: www.mountainviewcyprus.com/
sister site: www.mountain-view-hotel.com

you guys should check these pages against alexa and website grader.
Re: Advantages/disadvantages Of Multiple Websites For The Same Business by yawatide(f): 2:35pm On Jan 08, 2010
kheme: welcome back and happy new year  grin

I think this is a BAD idea, even if you are paid top dollar to do otherwise.  What he should do is have multiple domains which all link to the same "main" domain.

It is also BAD from a maintenance stand point - When you and/or the others leave and other people need to replace you (it does happen), how do the others know what is going on?

Again, VERY BAD idea. If the guy still has doubts, kindly point him to this post and/or have him contact me directly wink
Re: Advantages/disadvantages Of Multiple Websites For The Same Business by kheme(m): 2:52pm On Jan 08, 2010
lol. if i could point him here, i would have asked him to read the other thousand and one articles i've read. they guy doesnt even have time to send me an email and being that i'm new in the SEO business, he doesnt have much regard for my advices (or at least, that's what i think, lol). i will get the word to him somehow.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Is Launching Its New Offices In Ota Soon / CHAI.....HIRED KILLER Website...oyibo Ppl Sef / How To Draw A Map On Microsoft Word

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.