Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,065 members, 7,852,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:48 PM

New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? (649 Views)

How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? / Nigeria Installs Full Body Scanners At Airports. / New Security Check (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by ayomifull(f): 2:18pm On Jan 08, 2010
Recent researches have shown that ct scans rely on dangerous radiation which is a known carcinogen, even in the relatively small amounts used with most CT's. There is also fear that there are a number of uncertainties involved in predicting cancer with the use of these scanners. This makes me wonder just how safe/unsafe this proposed full body scanners are especially for frequent flyers.
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by Nobody: 12:54am On Jan 09, 2010
Or the risk to an unborn child.
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by chika98: 1:05am On Jan 09, 2010
I can understand your worries as C.T scanners have a high amount of radiation as opposed to regular x-ray. I think they should have signs where pregnant women or those that suspect that they might be wear lead shields to cover around there but then again women of child bearing age shouldn't be exposed to that amount of radiation albeit small.
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by Nobody: 3:30am On Jan 09, 2010
The health hazard posed by the scanners are negligible.
They are not built for humans to live in rather a quick examination of the body lasting no more than 60 seconds. . . . I think. I guess the answer lies in the name . . . . 'scanner'.

I'd more worried if i stayed there for long periods.
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by Nobody: 3:53am On Jan 09, 2010
it would be easier if people just stripped n.aked before boarding a plane. It would make checking in more convenient for the checkers.

Once in the plane, they could be issued new clothes by the flight crew. Or just wear bikinis and briefs/boxers.  The plane temperature should be adjusted to suit the weather.
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by igbonla(m): 6:21am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

it would be easier if people just stripped n.aked before boarding a plane. It would make checking in more convenient for the checkers.

Once in the plane, they could be issued new clothes by the flight crew. Or just wear bikinis and briefs/boxers.  The plane temperature should be adjusted to suit the weather.

Ingenious! So we all go in nikid?
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jan 09, 2010
why not.
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by OAM4J: 7:39am On Jan 09, 2010
Is there anyone with a recent experience with the immigrations/airport securities? Will be flying to UK soon.
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by bluespice(f): 10:15am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

funny smiley
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 10, 2010
tpia.:

Once in the plane, they could be issued new clothes by the flight crew. Or just wear bikinis and briefs/boxers. The plane temperature should be adjusted to suit the weather.

Tpia, you're nuts! cheesy
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by Vicjustice: 9:54pm On Jan 10, 2010
I'm a little concerned with this development, but still, this particular scan which many people talk about as having "dangerous radiation" and carcinogen substance, is by far safer than flying with a terrorist on-board. Mind you, except for other factors, your risk of getting cancer for reason of this scan is 0.1% as long as you're not passing through the scan on daily basis, and even if you are a frequent traveller, your exposure to the ray is brief, making you safe with it. 
   But Ayo dear, you've always been a fearful flyer, i think this should be the least of your worries or have you gotten over your flight phobia  smiley wink cheesy grin?
Re: New Security Measures: How Safe Are Body Scanners? by OAM4J: 4:11am On Jan 11, 2010
this is funny. But may God saves us.

(1) (Reply)

Visa Made Easy: PART 2 / Hospitality / Visa Free Countries For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.