Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,538 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Vision 2020: More like a mindless prediction than a realistic dream - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Vision 2020: More like a mindless prediction than a realistic dream (458 Views)

The Vision 2020 Is The New-normal / Can I Ever Live Like A Normal Humanbeing Again(beware Of The Evil)must Read!! / Change your vision - In the same boat - Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Vision 2020: More like a mindless prediction than a realistic dream by idrizeba95(m): 11:21pm On May 06, 2017
Sitting on that torn and tattered, two seater sofa, Maami was dressing me for school, buckling and buttoning everything on my Pink and Purple Alhikmat Primary school Uniform.

"Vision 2020" a voice beamed out from the speakers of Baba's new, glittering silver-coloured Panasonic radio.

The familiar voice of Tajudeen Ajani Ojuelegba channeled through the Radio with a tone of excitement as he reads out the "Koko inu iwe iroyin" (Newspaper review), I listened with rapt attention as he dallied and lavished his signatory Yoruba chants and word plays on the "Vision 2020", describing how beautiful, inspiring and fulfilled Nigeria will be by that year.

Tajudeen Ajani Ojuelegba, even at that time was a feted Newscaster, respected by almost all the Yoruba parents that I know within and out of our "Face to Face" compound, for his oratorical and eloquent delivery of news items in Yoruba language.

I could see Maami bobing her braided head to the pleasant and obviously awesome picture that Ojuelegba's words were painting in her mind, my eyes roved to Baba, who was sitting across the room, chewing stick plugged into mouth; although his response wasn't as obvious as Maami's, but i could see his pupils dilated as he starred into space with the look of "This might actually be true" on his wrinkled face. 

If my parents can be easily bought by that crispy Agenda, then who am i - a 10 year old boy, not to be sold and entranced?.

I remember hopping happily around school that day as I share the good news with friends, although, few of the naive boys and girls understood the reasons for my sudden and seemingly endless Joy, the joy that, my country, Nigeria, with the green and white flag will rise again above Africa, and won't stop there, until she reaches the wealthy and influential log of the Top 20 economies in the world. 

She will be wielding the same monetary, military and manpower as the mighty U.S.A, U.K, and Russia and other global super powers.

The arrant joy that in just a decade and half away, I will not only be the World Boxing Organization (WBO) world heavyweight champion but my country also will be a United Nation Organization (U.N.O) Heavyweight Nation.

The unbounded joy that in just 15 years time, I will look into the face of Rotimi Popoola "Romeo" - an older neighbor, who loved chewing and drumming praises about America and how you can't grow up in Nigeria and gather riches like Warren Buffet into our gullible brains, and tell him "You lied".

But Here I am, a dozen of years later, in front of that same Panasonic radio or should I say now Old and Rusty "asonic" Radio as the preceding letters in the emblazonry had chipped off.

Yes, Here I am! 
12 years after that Joy filled day, standing in front of that Radio, head bowed in deep thought, remembering everything I had dreamt of.

None, not even one have come to reality.

Me? An Heavyweight champion?
I've got just a year more to complete a lackluster and non-lucrative University course, after circumstances compelled me to switch career paths...four Painful times.

Rotimi Popoola "Romeo"? 
He travelled to his "milk and honey filled land" last year. 
Not without dropping another bombshell on why

"this 'giant of Africa' is nothing but a white elephant that will forever be tagged 'promising' and will never reach its full potentials just like THEO WALCOTT", his Analogy is so lucid especially with the addition of that last name.

And, my Nigeria?

She's been dipped into a gloomy economic recession that's showing no sign of dwindling. Surely, not even Professor Pellar if resurrected can perform an Abracadabra that will rescue her from this economic tailspin and fly her to her supposed position at the summit of the super power nation's log within 3 years,
at least, not with her unity hanging in the balance, as she saunter on the brink of her second civil war.

Was this what they saw and branded "Vision 2020"?, nothing, but Blurriness 2020.

therenaissanceng.com/vision-2020-more-like-a-mindless-prediction-than-a-realistic-dream
Re: Vision 2020: More like a mindless prediction than a realistic dream by Akinwale14(m): 7:58am On May 07, 2017
Huh undecided

1 Like

Re: Vision 2020: More like a mindless prediction than a realistic dream by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:49am On May 07, 2017
Yyeske happy Sunday! Can you call me on 08039587755

(1) (Reply)

Interested In Turning Your Book Into An Audio Book For Free? / The Girl Scorched By Fire | Based On A True Life Story / WHO'S GOT THE JUICE? By JJmotivates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.