Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Churches Seems To Be More Successful - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Churches Seems To Be More Successful (881 Views)

UPDATE-PAKISTAN: 160 Houses And 2 Churches Burnt In Lahore: PHOTOS / Muslim Group To Form Shield Of Protection For Churches On Sunday / Muslims Converting Empty European Churches Into Mosques (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Churches Seems To Be More Successful by okgerald(m): 11:13pm On Jan 08, 2010
I have come to observe that in lagos and some other parts of the states i happen to travel to, churches seems to develop faster than mosques. A friend once invited me to her church(even though i took the pastor said with pinch of salt) and the ambiance was so nice. I wanted to invite her to my local mosque but was discouraged cos the place wasn't all that 'Behind'. Am aware that the most important thing is the message amongst other things but i think we need to work on our mosques to make them more inviting.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by AbuZola3(m): 11:45pm On Jan 08, 2010
Don't generalize, only a few mosques are not develop, in my place where i stay 95% of mosques are decorative and adorable
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by AbuZola3(m): 11:47pm On Jan 08, 2010
Wait a minute, did you say you attend church service
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by dominique(f): 10:50am On Jan 09, 2010
thats because most churches are interested in amassing wealth. . . wordly material wealth that Jesus preached against.
the preachings from the pastor of the church on the street where i live are mostly on tithes and offerings.always reminding the members not to rob God and the church. heck, he even said children should pay tithes from their pocket money shocked shocked. i'm afraid materialism has taken a front seat to worship in most churches.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 09, 2010
Churches teaches love peace,repentance&forgiveness.These is all what God is about.God inturn strengthens his church&have made it to grow not only in Nigeria but d entire universe
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by AbuZola3(m): 1:23pm On Jan 09, 2010
Church is a business center
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by muhsin(m): 1:29pm On Jan 09, 2010
@Poster,

Churches seem to be more successful because there are many of them or what? The beauty of building (church) or its number; or plethora  of  followers of a religion, etc does not make that religion to be true. I actually see no connection, or anything from that "observation" that could shake someone's belief about his faith and start asking nearly silly questions like this one.

Stay calm and focussed; don't just be that succumbed. Its a pure bluff.

Please forgive me if I am harsh. You can enlighten me on the point I miss. Thanks
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by isalegan2: 6:14am On Jan 10, 2010
Abu Zola:

Wait a minute, did you say you attend church service

Salaam Aleikum, 

This wasn't addressed to me, but I have to answer in the affirmative.  Yes, I have attended church services when invited by friends and family members who have (unfortunately) converted to born-again.  On the whole, maybe half a dozen times.  For me, it was educational, and as long as I do not stand up to make statements I absolutely do not believe, like, being born a sinner and God and man are one, etc., I don't see it as violative of my faith.

Attending church never for one minute made me interested in switching to that side.  On the contrary, it strenghtned my faith because I saw what I never want to be associated with: girls and women dancing around shaking their butts like they were at a party instead of a house of worship.  What in the world!  No offense to anyone if this is your way, but seriously, after the solemnity of salah, it was an experience to see that.  As I said, there are people in my extended family who have changed to born-agains.  This is not only affecting Islam, but even other traditinal Christian denominations.  Even here in the USA, many Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran churches are full of older parishioners because there is a huge movement to the evangelical/pentecostal style of worship.  It is not only in Nigeria and Africa. 

The desperation and hardship of life in many places may be contributing to this.  To be perfectly frank, the style of worship in churches will attract many, compared to the serious disciplined way of muslim prayer.  They get to talk in tongue and be demonstrative, and dance to live loud music and drums?  Once the glamour wears off, and more people are fed-up with the constant harrassment to donate money they do not have, while news breaks about another super-rich preacher defrauding the commoners, there will be a shift back.

Yes, "churches seem to be more successful," but things aren't always as they appear. 

NOTE: If there is a hadith or sunnah discouraging Muslims from attending a church service as a mere observer, I'd like to know it.  I certainly don't pretend to be scholar in the deen, so I'm open to knowledge.   
Respectfully,
I.G.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by zayhal(f): 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2010
isale_gan2:

Salaam Aleikum,

Attending church never for one minute made me interested in switching to that side. On the contrary, it strenghtned my faith because I saw what I never want to be associated with: girls and women dancing around shaking their butts like they were at a party instead of a house of worship. What in the world! No offense to anyone if this is your way, but seriously, after the solemnity of salah, it was an experience to see that. As I said, there are people in my extended family who have changed to born-agains. This is not only affecting Islam, but even other traditinal Christian denominations. Even here in the USA, many Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran churches are full of older parishioners because there is a huge movement to the evangelical/pentecostal style of worship. It is not only in Nigeria and Africa.

The desperation and hardship of life in many places may be contributing to this. To be perfectly frank, the style of worship in churches will attract many, compared to the serious disciplined way of muslim prayer. They get to talk in tongue and be demonstrative, and dance to live loud music and drums? Once the glamour wears off, and more people are fed-up with the constant harrassment to donate money they do not have, while news breaks about another super-rich preacher defrauding the commoners, there will be a shift back.

You have just hit the nail on the head.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by AbuZola3(m): 6:01pm On Jan 11, 2010
@isale- There are things that makes it abominable/church forbidden such as to go and receive blessing, healing but reason other than that is permissible
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by isalegan2: 3:31am On Jan 12, 2010
Abu Zola:

@isale- There are things that makes it abominable/church forbidden such as to go and receive blessing, healing but reason other than that is permissible

Thank you for you reply.

-Omo Isale-Gangan
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by MUNEER2(m): 1:47pm On Jan 12, 2010
@ Isale gan2

The reasons are more than that if you won't say I'm prying
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by alimat2(f): 2:05pm On Jan 12, 2010
isale_gan2:

Thank you for you reply.

-Omo Isale-Gangan

hmmmmmmmmm, omo isale gan-gan, eyin ti island

@Topic,

U as a Muslim u dnt have to compare the beauty of the church or the richness of the non Muslims with that of the mosque or the Muslims cos it is make to know that those that owns the world will definitely own it to its fullest  nd with all its goodness and its riches and that the best of richness and goodness is in life afterdeath.

One of the teaching of the holy Prophet is that this earth to Muslims is like that of a prison yard and to non-Muslim is a bed of roses and that paradise would be bed of roses for Muslims after death and prison yard for non Muslims.So u dnt hav to lose ur focus all u need is the message and follow the rules and laws of islam.
That  non Muslims are very successfully and most churches are beautiful shl not be a problem to Muslims but these days Muslims seems to compete and compare themselves with non Muslims in terms of richness.

Mushims should NEVER think of richness in this world!!!
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by isalegan2: 3:54am On Jan 13, 2010
alimat 2:

hmmmmmmmmm, omo isale gan-gan, eyin ti island

MUNEER2:

@ Isale gan2

The reasons are more than that if you won't say I'm prying
Feel free to elaborate.  Thanks. 

eta: Hope I'm not asking for trouble.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by okgerald(m): 8:55pm On Jan 14, 2010
Hi all , thanks for the reply, i am a muslim trying to build a solid relationship with my God. I Only made an observation and am happy for the sensible replies i got .

And why would mushin tell me am asking a silly question? I only made an observation and have the right to discuss it on this forum. Afterall thats part of the reason we are lall here. To ask and to get replies.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by AbuZola3(m): 8:57pm On Jan 14, 2010
True
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by MUNEER2(m): 3:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
isale_gan2:

Feel free to elaborate.  Thanks. 

eta: Hope I'm not asking for trouble.

Dearest Sister in Islam,

I'm so grateful you are giving me a chance to express my view about your going to church
Allow me to use your word 'elaborate' this in few steps

Firstly, the Prophet SAW strongly warned us against taking christians and jews as our intimate friends, they'll never love you wholeheartedly until you practice what they practice, that's the reason why your friends have been inviting you to their sermon undecided

Secondly, have they ever followed you to the mosque to pray? We all know they won't, so, the answer is clear undecided

Thirdly, in one of the Hadith of the Prophet SAW, he said 'you shall be resurrected amongst the people you love most on earth', in another, he said, 'you shall be resurrected according to what you die on', you don't want to die in a church. . . I pray you won't

Fourthly, the Prophet said, 'Our heart crumbles like a metal that is being rubbed against a concrete wall'. When you listen to what they have to say, your hatred for what they do reduces, and it's being replaced with likeness, and liking what they do will only lead you astray.

Finally, I want you to remember that what makes someone to become a Kufar very rapidly is not participating in what they practice, but not condemning what they practice. . .
So, it is better for you to spend your time over what you will neither be rewarded for, nor be punished for than spending it in the church lipsrsealed
I pray you understand my stand better than I've expressed, May ALLAH help increase you in faith
Masallam lipsrsealed
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by isalegan2: 11:29pm On Jan 17, 2010
MUNEER2:

Dearest Sister in Islam,

Masallam lipsrsealed

Wow.  Thanks for taking the time.

I really enjoy reading your post.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by babymi2(f): 12:46pm On Jan 18, 2010
Abu Zola:

Church is a business center
grin grin grin grin shocked shocked
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by muhsin(m): 5:51pm On Jan 18, 2010
@baby-mi,

Even some exponents Christian aboard NL testified to that, I can recall.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by Jairzinho(m): 9:47am On Jan 21, 2010
isale_gan2 = Sensible Muslim kiss kiss kiss
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by Deen4me(m): 3:55pm On Jan 21, 2010
@ isale_gan2

I saw propaganda videos about Sudan and Somalia being played.  I saw a Nigerian preacher stand in front of a church in America proclaim how he cannot wait for the day America would take over Iraq and Afghanistan and a particular African country and compel its people to worship American's god,

I am always impressed at the level of naivety we Nigerians display. This is just sad .

Find below excerpts from a fatwa for the scenario being discussed

"If your going to the church is just to show tolerance and lenience, then it is not permissible, but if it is done to call them to Islam and create opportunities for you to do so, and you will not be taking part in their worship and you are not afraid that you may be influenced by their beliefs or customs, then it is permissible."

The full fatwa is available below

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/111832/churches
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by isalegan2: 1:58am On Jan 22, 2010
Deen4me:

@ isale_gan2

I am always impressed at the level of naivety we Nigerians display. This is just sad .

What did I do?
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by Deen4me(m): 2:55pm On Jan 22, 2010
Sorry for the mix up i was referring to your quote below about  the pastor and urging US  invade iraq etc

I saw propaganda videos about Sudan and Somalia being played.  I saw a Nigerian preacher stand in front of a church in America proclaim how he cannot wait for the day America would take over Iraq and Afghanistan and a particular African country and compel its people to worship American's god
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by MUNEER2(m): 11:29pm On Jan 23, 2010
isale_gan2:

Wow.  Thanks for taking the time.

I'll try to respond to each point as I see them.

- taking (non-muslims) as our intimate friends -
I think this is common when growing up in Nigeria, especially, Lagos where all the tribes are represented.  As a teenager, I didn't have a problem with it, and probably had more non-Yoruba and non-Muslim friends than the other way around.  My primary school and especially secondary school was full of every kind of Nigerian.  Was never an issue.  (Of course, the friendship was limited to school.  My father was strict and we rarely brought just anyone to come hang out at the house no matter what their religion.) 
Even in university abroad, my best friend was as different from me as you can get, except she was a nice  girl who liked making international friends.  A great friend who would give you the shirt off her back. Religion never was an issue then either.  Nowadays, I tend to come in contact with a lot more Muslim women, but these women represent evey colour and nation you can think of.
I can't say my days of making friends with someone of a different background is past me though.  It's not as if they or anyone can make me believe or do something I don't want to do.  I'm pretty strong-willed grin   

- friends have been inviting you to their sermon -
Almost every time I've attended church has been to take a visiting relative from Nigeria to see a pastor they enjoyed watching on television, so don't tend to go along with any "friends." 

- followed you to the mosque to pray -
I didn't invite them.  You can't just go to mosque without knowing the rituals.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.

- you don't want to die in a church. . . I pray you won't -
I don't regularly attend, except for the aforementined relative outings, but I learned a lot when I did.  It was very eye-opening for me.  I saw first-hand pastors harassng parishioners for money they don't have.  I saw propaganda videos about Sudan and Somalia being played.  I saw a Nigerian preacher stand in front of a church in America proclaim how he cannot wait for the day America would take over Iraq and Afghanistan and a particular African country and compel its people to worship American's god, and, that the reason we black people have problems is because we've angered god and we need to remove the curse.  I could go on.

- you listen to what they have to say -
- not condemning what they practice -
I'm not sure how to respond to the above.  What they believe or practice does not sway me.  As for relatives who have switched over, some didn't quite take.  wink

I really enjoy reading your post and I tried to reply as best I can, without being flippant or causing offense and at the same time not putting all my business out there.   smiley

Dearest Sister in Islam

Please, check up this verses in the Qur'an, I'll strongly advice you use a Tafsir for adequate understanding of the interpretation 'cos i can't really type right now and you can possibly get back to me for your conclusion. . . undecided
(Q2:120, Q3:28, Q4:129 and 144)

Thanks sad

I'm sure my brother Deen4me has convinced you a lot,
Salam grin
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by ayinba1(f): 1:37am On Jan 25, 2010
@isale

I think what some posters are trying to point out to you is that, even though you say going to the church has not been an issue for you, or having close non muslim friends has not bothered you (my own interpretation, of course), it is not advisable to persist in these acts.

We as muslims (should) continually strive to be better in our deen. Especially for something mentioned in the Quran, I will give an extra effort to comply. We are not perfect but the aim is to strive for perfection.

As a male (again, my assumption), do you not see anything wrong in observing "worship" as described by you in the churches? (Note, I've been there, done that).

I pray that Allah grants you more understanding.

The churches are built for what they are built for and NO, you do not need any ritual to come into the mosque as a non muslim. Just observe the primary etiquette of removing your shoes, dressing modestly and covering your hair(females).

U should invite some of your non muslim friends.
Re: Churches Seems To Be More Successful by AbuZola3(m): 11:23am On Jan 25, 2010
@ayinba, i like ur zeal

(1) (Reply)

How Muslims Are Changing The Premier League / How Liverpool FC Prepares Players For Ramadan / Lessons From Muhammad's Ascension To Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.