Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,920 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State (4319 Views)

Culture And Tradition Of The Ogho (owo) Kingdom Of Ondo State. / Ijaw Bride Who Was Frowning At Her Wedding Says It’s Tradition / Are Urhobos And Isoko And Ika Also Edo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 3:23pm On May 09, 2017
The Urhobo people occupy Central and Southern Delta State, Nigeria. With a population above three million, Urhobos are regarded as the fifth largest ethnic group in Nigeria (contested claim). Urhobo language is regarded as Edoid but not mutually intelligible to other Edoid languages apart from Isoko, which used to be regarded as Eastern Urhobo until 1958. Isoko and Urhobo people are, for all intents and purposes, one and the the same, although politically regarded as distinct ethnic groups. The Odovan tradition is also found among the Isoko.

An Odovan is a nickname or praise-name which every adult male Urhobo gives himself. The Odovan is mainly used during social gatherings by the peers of the bearer in a form of call-and-response. When the bearer hears his name called by his peers, he responds by giving a brief remark (mainly a deeper meaning of the name). The Odovan is mainly used in social gatherings where kolanuts and drinks are presented. The Odovan is also an important rite of passage for Urhobo males. Upon the selection of an Odovan, the Urhobo man becomes socially accepted by his peers and he gains a sense of pride and contentment.

The practice of Odovan dates as far back as those days when villages and tribes fought inter-tribal wars to conquer and possibly take over leadership of the defeated. While some tried to attack and conquer, the village to be conquered fought to defend her territories from attackers. It was in the midst of all these that men of great strength and bravery earned such titles, from their admirers and followers. Note that it was not only in cases of war that the Odovan tradition came to be derived. But that seems to be the origin. However, when someone does something outstanding in whatever sphere of life, people, especially admirers, may start referring to him by a particular name. If it is a name that the individual likes, he may decide to continue with it or otherwise choose one for himself. One who is a great singer, for instance, may be called "oghuoghuile", meaning “great singer”, to acknowledge his singing prowess. From then onwards, it may stick to the individual and in no time become his Odovan.

An Odovan such as "Adakaza" denotes great strength. When an outsider hears it, what immediately comes to mind is that that person is from a family of warriors, or is himself a warrior. This illustration goes to show that Odovan actually originated as a means of recognising people with great achievements. To this end, a son may decide to take the Odovan of his late father when he comes of age. In contemporary times though, an adult male who has come of age is free to take one for himself because, at social gatherings, the Odovan becomes very handy.

The Odovan tradition in Urhobo is gradually dwindling due to religious factors, as well as the lack of interest shown by younger Urhobos. This is something that should be corrected. There is nothing bad or devilish in bearing an Odovan. It is a symbol of Urhobo identity. In fact, any Urhobo man that lacks an Odovan is, for all intents and purposes, still a boy! Even Kings and chiefs have Odovans. The Agbon monarchy goes by the Odovan of "Ogurimerime"! God is ascribed different Odovans by Urhobos; one of which is Osonobrughwe (used mainly by Okpe and Uvwie Urhobos).

The Odovan is found in every Urhobo clan and some of the names serve different functions. Some of them are used to express truths of life, address social issues, allude to contemporary issues, show morality, identify the personality of the bearer, etc.

Below are a few Odovan in Urhobo and their translations (the call by the addressor signifies the addressee's Odovan while the addressee's response is the deeper meaning of the Odovan, as conceived by its bearer):

1. Addressor: Idavwarhan
Addressee: Ogba Igho Oke rue orhavan

Translation
Addressor: Mosquito larvae
Addressee: does not pay before being a member of the shrine.

2. Addressor: Iwhiri
Addressee: Ebieche Gbe-e

Translation
Addressor: Smoke!
Addressee: you cannot shut a door against it.

3. Addressor: Omo re eni’
Addressee: Obre udu re oro-o

Translation
Addressor: child of an elephant
Addressee: is not afraid of growing big

4. Addressor: Ojii o chi baiboro
Addressee: o che ku rhierie

Translation
Addressor: A thief that steals a bible
Addressee: shall repent

5. Addressor: Akpo kere eki
Addressee: oro cho phrun ko kpo

Translation
Addressor: life is like a market
Addressee: he who has finished selling goes home

6. Addressor: Oro vwe ero suo ohwo ofa
Addressee: Owevwe ke hwe

Translation
Addressor: Anyone who looks up to someone to live life
Addressee: such person will go hungry

Apart from these six examples, there are millions of other Odovans that Urhobo males have adopted. In fact, there are cases of two or more persons answering the same Odovan. Even some women have adopted the Odovan tradition, although they are not allowed to use it in presence of men, except if they are traditional chieftaincy holders. Generally, some women answer to:
Addressor: Iqueeni queeni (queens)
Addressee: iqueeni re'gbare! (queens that are complete)

So what is your Odovan? If you don't yet have one, which would you choose?

Kindly comment with your answers!

N.B: No 6 is personal to my patrilineage! Don't steal it as yours!! grin grin grin
Credits to Okoro Aghogho who wrote a dissertation titled "A Literary Study Of Odovan, An Urhobo Art Form" and from whom I got some deeper academic knowledge of the Odovan art, other than the traditional knowledge of it that I had gotten as an Urhobo man.

-Iroro Orhero

Pictures of two Urhobo men in traditional attires

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 3:38pm On May 09, 2017
Area Roll Call grin:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Nicho118
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie
Kirigidi
Lalasticlala
Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 5:09pm On May 09, 2017
fratermathy:
Area Roll Call grin:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Nicho118
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie
Kirigidi
Lalasticlala
Seun

Make register my name

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by FisifunKododada: 7:37pm On May 09, 2017
Love Urhobo gals - one nearly 'kill' me for Abraka grin

4 Likes

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Efewestern: 11:42pm On May 09, 2017
Osonobrughwe is actually the meaning for God In uvwie and it's not an odovan, correct me if am wrong.

also the odovan title is not popular in every clans in urhobo/isoko land, in uvwie for example if you are called your praise name you reply with KADA!

cc : fratermathy, Sanchez01

2 Likes

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 09, 2017
My Odovan is " Urhukpe 're Oghene" and the response is " ono se fwu " Translation : Addressor : Light of God Addressee: Who can put it off?

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Opharhe: 5:02am On May 10, 2017
fratermathy:
Area Roll Call grin:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Nicho118
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie
Kirigidi
Lalasticlala
Seun
I dey here o.
Let me go with one or two Edova I've heard before.

Call : Hun hun hun!
Response : Ije ve-en
Meaning: side talks or secrets will be exposed eventually.

Call: Agoma van!
Response: Avwo rie Oshare-e(Ughievwen)
Meaning: One does not become a man just by shouting or been aggressive.

Urhobo Wadoo.
Nairalandi mi yeeri o.

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Sanchez01: 5:46am On May 10, 2017
I laughed upon seeing the post grin

Bless you, Matty! The number two, Iwhiri is so personal to both my patrilineage and matrilineage. I grew up knowing that Edovan as one my paternal grandfather took great pride in before his passing. My uncles would tell stories about him and how interesting he was as a person. So it was registered in my subconscious not until my maternal grandfather passed on in 2006, and I discovered that his Edovan was the same as my patrilineage's. Interestingly, it was an Agbarho-Okpara-inland affair. The Edovan means a whole lot even to this day.

I'm still at a loss over Osonobrughwe. I could remember asking an uncle about this almost a decade ago and his response at the time wasn't so convincing. DBriteLitehouse, your Edovan is weighty. I love it.
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Nobody: 6:46am On May 10, 2017
Sanchez01:
I laughed upon seeing the post grin

Bless you, Matty! The number two, Iwhiri is so personal to both my patrilineage and matrilineage. I grew up knowing that Edovan as one my paternal grandfather tool great pride in before his passing. My uncles would tell stories about him and how interesting he was as a person. So it was registered in my subconscious not until my maternal grandfather passed on in 2006, and I discovered that his Edovan was the same as my patrilineage's. Interestingly, it was an Agbarho-Okpara-inland affair. The Edovan means a whole lot even to this day.

I'm still at a loss over Osonobrughwe. I could remember asking an uncle about this almost a decade ago and his response at the time wasn't so convincing. DBriteLitehouse, your Edovan is weighty. I love it.

Thanks Oniovo.I find the gathering of Urhobo men so interesting since my childhood,most especially the edovan session.You will hear funny ones like "eshu",ichristmasi",okpubuluku".
I love my Urhobo ethnic nationality in totality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Efewestern: 7:13am On May 10, 2017
seun and lalaaticlala do the needful abeg.

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Sanchez01: 7:41am On May 10, 2017
DBriteLitehouse:

Thanks Oniovo.I find the gathering of Urhobo men so interesting since my childhood,most especially the edovan session.You will hear funny ones like "eshu",ichristmasi",okpubuluku".
I love my Urhobo ethnic nationality in totality.
Same here grin

Peer sessions are always something to look forward to. Edovans leak freely and those who carry them are not in any way ashamed regardless of how absurd the names sound. I think the funniest I've heard is 'Agoma van', shared by Opharhe.

We are a very funny people.

2 Likes

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Amberon: 12:04pm On May 10, 2017
Hahahah... My mom was just tellinge about this (Odovan) yesterday.

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by JIGHU(m): 2:08pm On May 10, 2017
In Ugheivwen Clan of Urhobo it is called Edije not Edovan

My Edije is Ugo no fure

Obiebede

The White Eagle?

Can never go black
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by akoko11: 4:30pm On May 10, 2017
fratermathy:
Area Roll Call grin:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Nicho118
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie
Kirigidi
Lalasticlala
Seun

Yes I Don show. Here is my odovan

Addressor : omo Roghene mu kparakoko
Addressee: Osho se muo o

Meaning
Addressor: A child that is on the shoulder of God
Addressee : can never be afraid.

Area I hail o

2 Likes

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by sanandreas(m): 6:35pm On May 10, 2017
Truly Eki Mari Chuo.
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 10, 2017
JIGHU:

My Edije is Ugo no fure

Obiebede

The White Eagle?

Can never go black

I once answer the nickname of " The White Eagle " after much talk from peeps,I have to drop it.
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 10, 2017
akoko11:

Yes I Don show. Here is my odovan

Addressor : omo Roghene mu kparakoko
Addressee: Osho se muo o

Meaning
Addressor: A child that is on the shoulder of God
Addressee : can never be afraid.

Area I hail o

That was my maternal grandfather odovan.Nice one.
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Opharhe: 3:34am On May 11, 2017
Sanchez01:

Same here grin

Peer sessions are always something to look forward to. Edovans leak freely and those who carry them are not in any way ashamed regardless of how absurd the names sound. I think the funniest I've heard is 'Agoma van', shared by Opharhe.

We are a very funny people.
grin grin grin
Oniovo mi yeru we o

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Opharhe: 3:36am On May 11, 2017
JIGHU:

My Edije is Ugo no fure

Obiebede

The White Eagle?

Can never go black
Edidjere precisely. Om'Ughievwen o!
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by JIGHU(m): 10:07pm On May 11, 2017
Omu Ufo

Opharhe:
Edidjere precisely. Om'Ughievwen o!

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by JIGHU(m): 10:09pm On May 11, 2017
What Talk please ? Hope you know the deep meaning ?

quote author=DBriteLitehouse post=56399164]

I once answer the nickname of " The White Eagle " after much talk from peeps,I have to drop it.[/quote]
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 10:44pm On May 12, 2017
E threadi avware na, e nmo'ro phi front Pagi?
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Afriifa(m): 1:37pm On May 14, 2017
Evestar200:

Make register my name
lol
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Evestar200(f): 2:23pm On May 14, 2017
Afriifa:
lol
Yea
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by urheme: 10:26am On May 15, 2017
Efewestern:
Osonobrughwe is actually the meaning for God In uvwie and it's not an odovan, correct me if am wrong.

also the odovan title is not popular in every clans in urhobo/isoko land, in uvwie for example if you are called your praise name you reply with KADA!

cc : fratermathy, Sanchez01

My Uvwie Brother is on point.

Example:

Onorogu----------------------------Kada
Abo phorophoro--------------------Kada
Ajudjud ko opia--------------------Kada

I may not get the spellings correctly, but my dad was a chief in Uvwie land before he passed.

It was fun to see all these go on in a ceremony.

Efe... thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Efewestern: 2:38pm On May 15, 2017
urheme:

My Uvwie Brother is on point.

Example:

I may not get the spellings correctly, but my dad was a chief in Uvwie land before he passed.

It was fun to see all these go on in a ceremony.

Efe... thank you.

you are welcome bros.. your spelling thou. lol. you need to learn how to write in urhobo. the op can teach you that..

urhobo wadooo!!
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by drstainlex: 7:50am On May 19, 2017
My Edovan (edidje) is
Addresser Olokpa rho mue-evwe
Addressee Oji kpoko

Translation
Policeman that arrested a goat
Is a big thief

1 Like

Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by mrcharming110: 1:18am On Sep 22, 2017
Please, what about money is sweet[i] in odovan? and translation
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by mrcharming110: 1:25am On Sep 22, 2017
Please, what about money is sweet in odovan and translation ?
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Mastergt96: 2:03am On May 01, 2020
I agree with you also BECOS the odovan requires response!!!!
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Mastergt96: 2:09am On May 01, 2020
Very funny odovan ...bro please I am currently working on odovan for my project ..so please help me with any other uvwie own that you knw..thanks...
Re: The Odovan (Praisename) Tradition Of The Urhobos Of Delta State by Mastergt96: 2:13am On May 01, 2020
Example:

Please what does About phorophoro and Ajudjud ko opia..means
Thanks.....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Snake Na Oyibo Culture / Brief History Of The Okun (yoruba) People Of Kogi State / Why U Must Visit OGBA ZOO @benin City (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.