Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid (4168 Views)

My 18-Year-Old Maid And Her Boyfriends / My Husband Lied His Concubine Was His Aunt, Made Me Live With Her – Wife / "When You Still Live With Your Parents At 36" (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 11:19am On May 12, 2017
Hello Familylanders,
I'm expecting a 19 yr old live-in maid this weekend. I'm getting her so I can go look for paid employment.
Pls I'll need your help on the following
1. Likely questions to ask her

2. How best to live with her. To relate with her like a sister or an employee

3. Should she sleep with the kids or have her own room too. I live in a 3 bedroom apartment. With 2 toddlers. I really want to be at alert

4. Is it ok to let her bathe the kids

5. Is it ok to let her mix with neighbors. I had 1 sometime ago. Told people she's my sister. After a while they refer to her as "my girl". She had told people she wasn't my sister.

6. Someone suggested police report. Is it necessary.

7. Feeding: Do I let her eat whatever she likes? My previous one didn't like fish of any kind, gizzards, snail. But hubby n I do. I had to limit my cooking of these or I let eat something else eg Noodles. Later I noticed she started overdoing it

Pls mature responses wil be needed. Thanks

cc: lalasticlala
. onegai
. modath
. liftedhands
. iomoge2
. rofemiguwa
. beyedew
. tyconcepts
. zaynie
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by okonja(m): 11:21am On May 12, 2017
I'm coming back angry
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by izzou(m): 11:29am On May 12, 2017
Just treat her like a human being. Show her love,care and kindness. Whether you call her your sister or employee, the way you treat her matters.

Also,let her duties be defined. If she shouldn't Bathe the kids,then let her know.

8 Likes

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by talk2alabama: 11:34am On May 12, 2017
Engage me to draft out the rules she will follow. Have her to sign it..,

Thank me later...
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 11:42am On May 12, 2017
izzou:
Just treat her like a human being. Show her love,care and kindness. Whether you call her your sister or employee, the way you treat her matters.

Also,let her duties be defined. If she shouldn't Bathe the kids,then let her know.

About the bathing. Hubby insists I do. For fear of molestation. Stories we hear these days.

As for treatment. I treated my previous one like a sis. Even when hubby buys stuffs from fast food he buys for her too. Or i share with her. Buy her xmas stuffs apart from her normal pay. Gave her some neatly used clothes and shoes. I then noticed she started growing wings. Probably cos she was getting married or too much familiarity.

Imagine her dressing up one day. Unusually overly dressed. Got almost close to the door b4 telling me she wanted to go get something at the bustop. On a Sunday evening. I told her to get it on Monday morning. The next morning I reminded her of what she wanted to buy she replied she has spent the money
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 11:45am On May 12, 2017
talk2alabama:
Engage me to draft out the rules she will follow. Have her to sign it..,

Thank me later...

Bros kindly give me some tips here. I'd appreciate it.

I'm a very free person but I don't like when people take advantage of it. That's why am asking for the best way
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by izzou(m): 11:50am On May 12, 2017
hotmum:

About the bathing. Hubby insists I do. For fear of molestation. Stories we hear these days.

As for treatment. I treated my previous one like a sis. I then noticed she started growing wings. Probably cos she was getting married.

Imagine her dressing up one day. Unusually overly dressed. Got almost close to the door b4 telling me she wanted to go get something at the bustop. On a Sunday evening. I told her to get it on Monday morning. The next morning I reminded her of what she wanted to buy she replied she has spent the money

Most people prefer to take relatives as maids because they won't misbehave much and family members can intervene when she's getting outta hand. You can try that too

As for bathing the kids,you cant be very sure that you will always have time for that,especially now that you want to work.

Your husband should put his fears away and hope she isn't one of dem molesters grin

2 Likes

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by talk2alabama: 11:52am On May 12, 2017
hotmum:

Bros kindly give me some tips here. I'd appreciate it.

I'm a very free person but I don't like when people take advantage of it. That's why am asking for the best way

House rules... Draft out things she is expected to do and not to do. Define her boundaries.

Why are you employing her? To ease off your work load.....? Then bathing the babies should also be one of her job roles.

Spell it out to her she should observe cleanliness at all times especially when she is handling your kids.. If she wants to feed them, she should wash her hands properly and wash their untensils and wateva

I advise she sleeps in a separate room

U should take her to the doctor so the doctor can kmlw her health history ..

Get her good clothes too .. Your maid should be a reflection of you...

Warn her she should respect herself around the vicinity and should be wary of locals. Esp boiz...

Get a police report .. That she is the maid.. In case of things like she ran away or Smth, you shouldn't be accountable.. She has to sign it..

Remind her whatever she wants, she should ask, that you don't tolerate stealing .. And you would make sure you deal with her if she steals your stuff .. And have a very stern countenance when telling her this...

Tell her you don't tolerate dirtiness .

How good is she with English? She should not speak pidjin ever to the kids .. Define the kind of discipline she is allowed to mete on the kids... Should she report any bad behaviours from d kids to you? Or should she give a light smacking on them? Which ever d case may be. Define it

6 Likes

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 12:00pm On May 12, 2017
talk2alabama:

House rules... Draft out things she is expected to do and not to do. Define her boundaries.

Why are you employing her? To ease off your work load.....? Then bathing the babies should also be one of her job roles.

Spell it out to her she should observe cleanliness at all times especially when she is handling your kids.. If she wants to feed them, she should wash her hands properly and wash their untensils and wateva

I advise she sleeps in a separate room

U should take her to the doctor so the doctor can kmlw her health history ..

Get her good clothes too .. Your maid should be a reflection of you...

Warn her she should respect herself around the vicinity and should be wary of locals. Esp boiz...

Get a police report .. That she is the maid.. In case of things like she ran away or Smth, you shouldn't be accountable.. She has to sign it..

Remind her whatever she wants, she should ask, that you don't tolerate stealing .. And you would make sure you deal with her if she steals your stuff .. And have a very stern countenance when telling her this...

Tell her you don't tolerate dirtiness .

Thanks
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by talk2alabama: 12:01pm On May 12, 2017
hotmum:

Thanks
I modified my comment and added some tips
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 12, 2017
talk2alabama:
I modified my comment and added some tips

Gone through it again. Thanks a mil
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by ireneblush(f): 12:27pm On May 12, 2017
wow, a 19 year old live in maid? that's too risky for you and your family right now, considering the fact that the society is risky it self, at 19, she very well knows somethings more than you. Even if you set house rules for her she will still do that which pleases her. To avoid future regret and endangering of your household, I advise you get a Nanny that comes and goes. your toddlers should be in school, or if they are not put them in creche it will help you and help them too.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by pearlforlady(f): 1:02pm On May 12, 2017
talk2alabama:

Soo true, you've spoted all the necessities
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by talk2alabama: 1:21pm On May 12, 2017
pearlforlady:

Soo true, you've spoted all the necessities
yeah... I am a consultant wink

1 Like

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by talk2alabama: 1:22pm On May 12, 2017
ireneblush:
wow, a 19 year old live in maid? that's too risky for you and your family right now, considering the fact that the society is risky it self, at 19, she very well knows somethings more than you. Even if you set house rules for her she will still do that which pleases her. To avoid future regret and endangering of your household, I advise you get a Nanny that comes and goes. your toddlers should be in school, or if they are not put them in creche it will help you and help them too.
not everyone is as bad as u think.... cool

1 Like

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Onegai(f): 1:58pm On May 12, 2017
Hotmum,

1. Get a clear passport photo of her and do a full blood work, HIV, Hepatitis etc

2. Define boundaries. No phones during work hours and no fraternising with the neighbours on your time. No weird dressing or she wears a uniform.

3. Feeding her on outing trips doesn't mean you treat her like a sister. It means you treat her like a human being. Which is important, because she's looking after your kids. She should always eat what you eat, be it eba at home or suya outside.

4. Discuss salary and provisions. Are you paying for her toiletries? If so, will it be deducted from her monthly paycheck? Does she get part of her salary monthly to take care of her needs or will you provide them (hair styling, toiletries etc).

5. Does she get off days?

6. No sleeping with the kids. She can bathe them but let her have her nighttime to herself (to call her bobo, whom she will deny having, her family, her friends, relax, etc).

7. Define all duties and enforce boundaries. You may relax and she will relax too. And stop all this "I treat this random stranger like my sister", do you fight with her, beg her for jewelry (which she has rocked tire and then gives you, grudgingly), sometimes gossip with her, sometimes put up with her excessive demands, call her at 4am to fight over "Why didn't you reply that email, whose side are you on?!!", tell her to pray for your husband and your finances, ask for advice in not killing your husband etc. Do you do all that with your maid or nanny? Because that's how my sisters and I work so my nanny is most definitely not my sister and I don't take her as such. What I do is to treat her like an employee, decent and as fair as possible. She eats what I cook and once in a while I can be generous with stuff, if I have it (I got her good brands of shampoo and conditioner because she didn't want to spend her money and I understand where I live, things are not cheap enough for her to get from her salary).

8. Discuss clearly how long she's staying. Is she leaving for Christmas (so you can plan).

9. I will never do relatives in my house to help me. Sorry but No. Nada. Nyet. Ehn Ehn. Mbaa (someone add the Yoruba word for "No"wink. Because if that goes bad, it does reaalllllyyyy bad. From stealing (because they hate being the poor relative in your home) to interference (where they call every relative to give them updates of how you and your husband fought and what a horror-show you are, even if the fight lasted 10 mins, they will paint it as 1 hour and fighting daily) to grudges (you traveled abroad for business, bought 2 dresses for your child and bought only 1 dress for them, you are evil and her mother back home will be waiting for an opportunity to strike because of the perceived "injustice", no-one cares that you went abroad with limited funds to do business that will feed the family), not worth it in my book. I can't walk on eggshells around my home because I'm scared what someone's mum will say. Especially when it is your in-law. Oh boy... grin

11 Likes

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 12, 2017
Thanks a lot ma'am Onegai
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by beyedew(f): 5:45pm On May 12, 2017
hotmum:
Hello Familylanders,
I'm expecting a 19 yr old live-in maid this weekend. I'm getting her so I can go look for paid employment.
Pls I'll need your help on the following
1. Likely questions to ask her

2. How best to live with her. To relate with her like a sister or an employee

3. Should she sleep with the kids or have her own room too. I live in a 3 bedroom apartment. With 2 toddlers. I really want to be at alert

4. Is it ok to let her bathe the kids

5. Is it ok to let her mix with neighbors. I had 1 sometime ago. Told people she's my sister. After a while they refer to her as "my girl". She had told people she wasn't my sister.

6. Someone suggested police report. Is it necessary.

7. Feeding: Do I let her eat whatever she likes? My previous one didn't like fish of any kind, gizzards, snail. But hubby n I do. I had to limit my cooking of these or I let eat something else eg Noodles. Later I noticed she started overdoing it

Pls mature responses wil be needed. Thanks

cc: lala.sticlala
. on.egai
. m.odath
. lifte.dhands
. iom.oge2
. ro.femiguwa
. bey.edew
. tyc.oncepts
. za.ynie
1. Her views about life, what she feels the future has in stock for her, whether she has worked as a maid before, what she feels she can impact in the lives of your children. Do HIV test, hepatitis B test and full blood count.

2. Relate with her like an employee but treat her with respect too.

3. If the toddlers sleep with with you in your room, she can stay in her own room. If not, she should bunk with the kids, so that her attention can always be on them. 

4. Yes, but the first times should be under your supervision and make your children understand that they shouldn't be touched in an inappropriate way.

5. Depending on your environment, for me, no. Taking care of the children and doing stuffs in the home should take up much of her time anyway.

6. I didn't do this, so can't say.

7. My rule has always been eat whatever you want that is available, just don't waste my food, na there we go fight. Allowing her free liberty with food to me helps her to understand that she is part of the family.
Hth. Good luck dear in your pursuit.
Just a piece of advice too, if you stay with her and you see she is good and someone you'd like to keep, enrol her into any handiwork school. It goes a long way in curtailing her movements and free time to do nonsense and also helps in shaping her future.
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 12, 2017
But why Will you employ a grown up lady as your help?
Two days ago that was how I came across someone who employ a maid recently. You need to see the kind of body she as. This maid is not up to19 years but if you see her body as a whole you will think is close to 25years.

I told the boss the danger ahead and guess what her reply was? She said she knew, that she had promise her self to always take the maid along with her when ever she is going out.
My question now is of what use is a maid when you can not leave her to stay at home alone and assist with the domestic work?

please don't get me wrong, am not saying you should employ under age as maid but something less than 19 .

1 Like

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 1:58am On May 13, 2017
beyedew:

Thank you ma

1 Like

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 4:27am On May 13, 2017
I prefer a nanny, a 19 years old girl already knows too much, she will give you trouble if she is not humble. Just get, a nanny for your sanity to be maintained
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 13, 2017
I think you should be more concerned with her relationship with your husband.

hotmum.
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 2:34pm On May 13, 2017
MissCuppy:
I think you should be more concerned with her relationship with your husband.

hotmum.

I don't get you ma'am
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 13, 2017
hotmum:

I don't get you ma'am
You will get it when it all unravels.
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by inemani: 5:51pm On May 13, 2017
hotmum:

I don't get you ma'am

In a clear and concise term, she may be a threat to your happy home, knowing how some of the men folk are - dogs! Especially if the 19yr old is fresh fish lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Arijude(m): 9:12pm On May 13, 2017
Onegai:
Hotmum,

1. Get a clear passport photo of her and do a full blood work, HIV, Hepatitis etc

2. Define boundaries. No phones during work hours and no fraternising with the neighbours on your time. No weird dressing or she wears a uniform.

3. Feeding her on outing trips doesn't mean you treat her like a sister. It means you treat her like a human being. Which is important, because she's looking after your kids. She should always eat what you eat, be it eba at home or suya outside.

4. Discuss salary and provisions. Are you paying for her toiletries? If so, will it be deducted from her monthly paycheck? Does she get part of her salary monthly to take care of her needs or will you provide them (hair styling, toiletries etc).

5. Does she get off days?

6. No sleeping with the kids. She can bathe them but let her have her nighttime to herself (to call her bobo, whom she will deny having, her family, her friends, relax, etc).

7. Define all duties and enforce boundaries. You may relax and she will relax too. And stop all this "I treat this random stranger like my sister", do you fight with her, beg her for jewelry (which she has rocked tire and then gives you, grudgingly), sometimes gossip with her, sometimes put up with her excessive demands, call her at 4am to fight over "Why didn't you reply that email, whose side are you on?!!", tell her to pray for your husband and your finances, ask for advice in not killing your husband etc. Do you do all that with your maid or nanny? Because that's how my sisters and I work so my nanny is most definitely not my sister and I don't take her as such. What I do is to treat her like an employee, decent and as fair as possible. She eats what I cook and once in a while I can be generous with stuff, if I have it (I got her good brands of shampoo and conditioner because she didn't want to spend her money and I understand where I live, things are not cheap enough for her to get from her salary).

8. Discuss clearly how long she's staying. Is she leaving for Christmas (so you can plan).

9. I will never do relatives in my house to help me. Sorry but No. Nada. Nyet. Ehn Ehn. Mbaa (someone add the Yoruba word for "No"wink. Because if that goes bad, it does reaalllllyyyy bad. From stealing (because they hate being the poor relative in your home) to interference (where they call every relative to give them updates of how you and your husband fought and what a horror-show you are, even if the fight lasted 10 mins, they will paint it as 1 hour and fighting daily) to grudges (you traveled abroad for business, bought 2 dresses for your child and bought only 1 dress for them, you are evil and her mother back home will be waiting for an opportunity to strike because of the perceived "injustice", no-one cares that you went abroad with limited funds to do business that will feed the family), not worth it in my book. I can't walk on eggshells around my home because I'm scared what someone's mum will say. Especially when it is your in-law. Oh boy... grin
very sensible. No in yoruba means iro
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 13, 2017
MissCuppy:
You will get it when it all unravels.

Mtchewwwww
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 13, 2017
inemani:

In a clear and concise term, she may be a threat to your happy home, knowing how some of the men folk are - dogs! Especially if the 19yr old is fresh fish lipsrsealed

Well, good you said "some" of the men folk
Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Nobody: 1:32am On May 14, 2017
It is very unwise to have a live in maid. There are many agencies now. It's best to employ a nanny or helper who will arrive in the morning and go home at night. It's best not to treat employees as your friend. When boundaries are crossed, they will no longer respect your authority. Also I would rather hire a 50 year old women than a 19 year old girl. You may have faith in your husband but you should never have faith in his koboko.

2 Likes

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by Onegai(f): 3:48am On May 14, 2017
To everyone encouraging Hotmum to get a young child to be a nanny, because you are all afraid that 19 years old will snatch your husband, wehdone.

My sister and her friend refused to have a friend's nanny in their homes because she was exactly your girl, age 13, a mess domestically, kept wanting to watch the 6 and 7 year old boys bathe and wanting to be with them rather than older nannies or female babies. She touched her female charge's n.ipples in the name of "play" (a common occurrence I have seen, especially in lower-income environments with less privacy, they will kiss your child on the bare chest, handle his/her body and bum and get offended when one say "stop", because all na "play and affection" ) and scribbled "I love John" on every surface. Even though her mum was protesting her innocence, we found out later "John" was her mum's bf and had started sleeping with both mother and daughter, at an early age. So her mum sent her away so they won't be fighting over Man. But told everyone it was for her future.

That was the last case I saw last year. For over 15 years, I can testify to a large number of Abusers being young girls (they are victims themselves). Nigeria's problem with Se.xual Molestation is as bad as India's problem with Rape, just that it is underreported here. But speak to doctors and nurses, your eyes will clear. It is very common to hear of se.xual abuse cases of children inflicting it on other children.

Fear of being unable to handle your husband will leave your child open to abuse. You don't realize that by the time your husband is banging the maid, he is lost to all propriety and has probably slept with all of Lagos and their sister. At that point, he is of no use to you.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by DhcLtd: 6:49am On May 14, 2017
Are you in need of any of these domestic staff? Executive Drivers, House Maids, Cleaners, Cooks, Care Givers, Errand Officer, Laundry attendants, gardeners? Look no further because Domestic Help Company Nigeria is here to offer you the best services at an affordable cost. We post anywhere within and outside Nigeria. What are you waiting for? Call Now! 09063340080

Re: How Best Can I Live With my Live-in Maid by zaynie(f): 10:42pm On May 15, 2017
Hello Hotmum.
Sorry I'm just popping in.
For me a 19yo is a no. Not because I don't trust my husband or what but because at that age she has hopes and aspirations and can't be expected to be stable.
Don't be surprised if she sets off after working for 2months (enough to buy her JAMB form).
I don't also subscribe to employing underage....

Just get a nanny and have someone come in on weekends to clean the whole house.

Good luck.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Call Relate With Your Wife's Elder Sister. / Now I Know The Reason Why Men Beat Their Wife At Home / My Corp Member Niece Gave Her Brand new Car As Seed Of Faith In Her Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.