Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) (1791 Views)

UTME 2017: JAMB Clarifies Position, Says Awaiting Results Candidates Can Apply / Download 2017 JAMB Brochure/syllabus Online In PDF File Now / 2017 Jamb Examination: Registration Commences Wednesday 15th Of March 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by Icosahedron(m): 9:09pm On May 13, 2017
I wrote my own exam by 1:30pm, today(13th May), and here are some useful tips for my fellow Jambites yet to write, also those that did write theirs today should try as well and contribute.

For the JAMB Mathematics, the questions I was asked to solve were drawn from the following topics

- Geometrical Constructions( I was asked a very 'tricky' question concerning locus of points)

- Plane Geometry( covers theorems concerning triangles, lines, and polygons)

- Circle Geometry (Make sure you undestand circle theorems)

- Simplifying fractions( I was not asked any question concerning 'algebraic' fractions, but you might be asked though)

- Permutations and Combination

Set( But no venn diagrams for me)

- Factorization( I was asked to factorize x^3 - x I first of all tried using the Factor and Remainder theorem and got (x-1) as a factoe and tried using Long division to get the other factors and stopped when I realized I would be consuming too much of my time and, instead, I factored out x to get x(x^2 - 1), factoring completely gave me x(x-1)(x+1) as the factors and that was option A, so I advice you all to always look our for alternative and simpler methods due to time factor.

- Calculus, some couple of questions came under derivatives and integrals so study them.

- Coordinate Geometry was set,

- Trigonometry and its applications came out as expected, again, try to know the values of sin30, sin60, tan30 and tan60 in surd form.

- Algebraic Structures, Binary operation did come out for me and the problem on limit was very tricky and I had to factorize multiple times before I could substitute.

- Number Systems, I suggest you study this topic very well.

- Matrices did come out, but none on simultaneous equations on matrix format, I guess the examiner considered the time.

- Commercial Arithmetic was set.

Final note, try to know Hero's formula concerning the area of a triangle and the length of its sides, I was actually expecting problems from Plane and Solid Mensuration, Indices and Polynomials but got none, I guess JAMB will probably set questions under these topics for the next set that would be writing.

Also, this year's questions were very cheap, although a handful of Jambites might argue otherwise, but in all honesty, if you compare the question sets to those of previous years(say 1995,1998,1999,2005, etc) you would get the gist, the standard has(slightly) reduced.

Last but not the least, if you wrote Mathematics today and found those problems extremely difficult, then here is a word of advice for you, look for a textbook with a gentle introduction to Number Systems, Fractions, Ratios and proportions, and simple linear and quadratic equations, make sure you understand the concepts and try solving all the problems in the exercises, After you have done that, then you are perhaps ready to advance, get sophisticated textbooks like Afolabi and Egb, these two books will prepare you to tackle problems of WAEC and JAMB standard and also set foundations for further mathematical studies.

Good luck.
Re: 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by Emmem005: 10:06pm On May 13, 2017
Anything on physics and Chem

1 Like

Re: 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by Jinf: 10:15pm On May 13, 2017
People will think i'm playing when i say i don't know any of the topics you mentioned. I hate maths. Not writing that shii!

2 Likes

Re: 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by opeyemihendrix: 10:32pm On May 13, 2017
Thanks Bro... I really appreciate . . but which one is HERO'S FORMULA again I don even taya sef

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by Icosahedron(m): 11:15pm On May 13, 2017
opeyemihendrix:
Thanks Bro... I really appreciate
but which one is HERO'S FORMULA again
I don even taya sef

Hero's formula is used to compute the area of triangle(especially acute-angled triangles) given its three sides 'only'. The formula is usually written as the square root of s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) where s = (a+ b+c)/2 i.e the semiperimeter of the triangle ABC where a,b,c denotes the lengths.
Re: 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by Icosahedron(m): 11:17pm On May 13, 2017
Emmem005:
Anything on physics and Chem

Read Nelkon and A-level Chemistry.

1 Like

Re: 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by Icosahedron(m): 11:19pm On May 13, 2017
Jinf:
People will think i'm playing when i say i don't know any of the topics you mentioned. I hate maths. Not writing that shii!
Tell me a little about your Mathematical background.
Re: 2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) by opeyemihendrix: 6:15am On May 14, 2017
Icosahedron:

Hero's formula is used to compute the area of triangle(especially acute-angled triangles) given its three sides 'only'. The formula is usually written as the square root of s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) where s = (a+ b+c)/2 i.e the semiperimeter of the triangle ABC where a,b,c denotes the lengths.

thanks gee

(1) (Reply)

Considering Schooling In Turkey Or Ukraine / Lists Of All Courses Offered By Nigeria University / UNIBEN Postgraduate Requirements (UNIBEN Postgraduate Guide)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.