Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight (21736 Views)

WHO: Drinking Alcohol Does Not Cure Coronavirus, It Increases Health Risks / Health Risks Of Passive Smokers / How Do I Gain Weight, I Am Too Skinny. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by michaelo2(m): 12:32pm On May 14, 2017
Every one knows being overweight is very bad for one’s health — that much, we’re all aware of. But recent studies have found that being too thin comes with its own set of serious risks and disadvantages, So if you are underweight, you might want to explore its health risks and get insights on how to add a few kilograms to achieve a healthy weight and thereby a healthier you!

How do you know if you’re underweight?

You can find out if you are underweight using a simple calculation to determine your body mass index or (BMI). This can be easily done by dividing your weight (in kilograms) by your height (in metres squared) as indicated below:

BMI (kg/m²) = Weight in kilograms ÷ Height in metres²\

As a matter of fact, BMI is used as a screening tool to identify whether you are underweight, overweight or at a healthy weight. Quite simply, a BMI value less than 18.5 means that you are underweight.

There are many serious health risks to being underweight, mainly:

Infertility: Underweight women primarily have problems with their ability to stay fertile. In fact being underweight causes a disturbance in the hormones which leads to ovulatory dysfunction and thus infertility.

Anemia: Because of a low food intake, underweight women could become anemic, thereby reducing the ability of their blood to carry oxygen to body cells. This can eventually lead to a variety of symptoms including fatigue, dizziness, pale complexion, reduced concentration and lethargy.

Osteoporosis: The risk of osteoporosis is higher for underweight women because of less than optimal intake of calcium which results in lower bone density. This problem is more predominant in teenagers, because they are at a stage when they experience the maximum depositition of calcium in their bones. And being underweight might disrupt this mechanism, resulting in lower deposits of minerals in their bones thereby increasing the risk of developing osteoporosis.

Amenorrhea (cessation of menstrual cycles): This is also more prevalent in underweight teens because they might have a disturbance in their hormones, a decrease in their fat deposits, combined with anxiety that might lead to loss of their menstrual cycle.

Lowered Immune System: The immune system is like a guard at the gate, ensuring that foreign and abnormal cells do not pass. This system needs fuel to take on invading infections, and unless an underweight person is eating very carefully, he or she could easily starve this disease defense guard. That means that very thin people are at extra risk forgetting sick during cold and flu season.

Internal Organs Become Prone To Injury: Low bodyfat means that ur internal organs are not safe. Yes, it is one of the functions of fat, protecting internal organs from physical injury. So, get ur fat % measured. There are a lot of methods like magnetic fields (those machines we hold), submersion in water, etc. The results may vary, but water submersion is considered the most accurate of them all.

Prone To Headaches: Since the brain is made up of fats, These fats are provided to it by the liver. If there are no fat cells in your body, your liver cannot supply the fat cells to the brain and you often get headaches because you brain does not get enough fat cells to use.

What you can do for a healthy increase in weight?

The simplest way is to have 3 meals a day along with 2-3 snacks. Make sure to include different food groups in your diet to achieve a healthy and balanced intake.

Additionally, you should stay away from soft drinks and sugary foods. Instead switch to foods that are high in nutrition such as smoothies, dried fruits and nuts.If you are an underweight teen, you could also have a snack at bedtime because growth hormones are highest during early sleep.

And don’t forget to exercise and increase your physical activity. This might help boost your metabolism and stimulate your appetite!

Remember that genetics plays an important role in determining our shapes and figures! However, this doesn't mean that you should give up and stop trying to achieve a healthy weight. In fact it means that you should try a little harder to maintain a healthy body. You can always consult with a dietitian to determine your healthy weight range and work out a meal plan created to suit your specific needs.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/05/downside-of-being-too-thin-or-underweight.html?m=1

cc: Mynd44 Dominique Lalasticlala

6 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by eezeribe(m): 12:48pm On May 14, 2017
Op,your source is unreliable and I think you are the owner of the website.
Where did you get your data from...
Where did you make the research...
You probably copied an article from a foreign website and pasted on your blog...
I won't be surprised if you did not major in any Health related profession but decided to blog about health,cos anything goes in Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by michaelo2(m): 1:16pm On May 14, 2017
eezeribe:
Op,your source is unreliable and I think you are the owner of the website.
Where did you get your data from...
Where did you make the research...
You probably copied an article from a foreign website and pasted on your blog...
I won't be surprised if you did not major in any Health related profession but decided to blog about health,cos anything goes in Nigeria.

Before nko i own the website, are you underweight or are those two pics there your family members

how did you know is unreliable, and for your information before anything goes on my blog i do the research, as a medical physiologist i know for a fact that below a certain weight limit is dangerous for ones health.

And oh Most of my points are from my basic sembulingam and guyton not foreign websites. Youd do yourself well to learn and stop criticizing.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by TWOYANSH: 2:24pm On May 14, 2017
HUMAN BEINGS WITH WAHALA. If you fat...na problem

You talk say make you slim... Dem go talk again

34 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by charleff512(m): 2:24pm On May 14, 2017
Source?
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Omotayor123(f): 2:24pm On May 14, 2017
tnx God I'm not Underweight tongue
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Papiikush: 2:25pm On May 14, 2017
If you are underweight, breeze will be controlling you upandan grin

michaelo2:

Before nko i own the website, are you underweight or are those two pics there your family members

how did you know is unreliable, and for your information before anything goes on my blog i do the research, as a medical physiologist i know for a fact that below a certain weight limit is dangerous for ones health.

And oh Most of my points are from my basic sembulingam and guyton not foreign websites. Youd do yourself well to learn and stop criticizing.

chineke... See finishing

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by doublewisdom: 2:25pm On May 14, 2017
michaelo2:

grin grin grin. This op get very serious badt mouth.

23 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Pavore9: 2:25pm On May 14, 2017
Nigerian economy is the cause of underweight in many.

2 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Omotayor123(f): 2:26pm On May 14, 2017
charleff512:
Source?
After it's on FPundecided

1 Like

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by TINALETC3(f): 2:26pm On May 14, 2017
lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Rayfield: 2:26pm On May 14, 2017
If somebody Fat, them go say he too Fat, if he slim, them go call am Lepa. Can't somebody become Orobo or Lepa in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by madridguy(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2017
Noted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Edu3Again: 2:27pm On May 14, 2017
You are Overweight problem. angry

You are Underweight Problem angry

Thank God for Jesus that it's by His stripes we were healed.
Not only did Jesus bear our illness but he also bore our sins.

Now which other religion has this type of benefit in the world, NONE grin

1 Peter 2
21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us,
leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree,
that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Just another reason one needs Jesus grin

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Omotayor123(f): 2:27pm On May 14, 2017
michaelo2:

on point cool

1 Like

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by wiloy2k8(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2017
lol
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Alitair(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2017
grin
So being skinny has negative health impacts too..

Kuku kill me o

IPOB

1 Like

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by diablos: 2:28pm On May 14, 2017
Lol...fake news everywhere... even nairaland health section isn't spared from false information.
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Sexytemi(f): 2:29pm On May 14, 2017
life and it various wahalas o...you're big wahala you're slim trouble
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by 2Ways(m): 2:29pm On May 14, 2017
Op that one na your own Ooo because as I dey so the only risk wey I sabi be say when breeze blow, im go carry you trowey for bush/gutter

1 Like

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by reidkrugger(m): 2:29pm On May 14, 2017
Hmmm. And most of doz your points tell u dat height is measured in metre square shay. Do u realize how difficult it is to nail dat ur bmi or bmx index, as in regarding d height required to split d weight? It means bros, about 90% of us are underweight.
Wake me up wen u modify. Thank u n dont mention.

6 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by creamylicious(f): 2:29pm On May 14, 2017
so weight is 65kg... height is 5ft 2inch..... underweight!!!!! stocking up on fatty foods from now onwards
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by G1ms: 2:29pm On May 14, 2017
If u are underweight i am very sorry sad
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by kinibigdeal(m): 2:30pm On May 14, 2017
Our president is not underweight....
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Homers123(m): 2:30pm On May 14, 2017
How much must one weigh to determine if you aree underweight?
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by G1ms: 2:31pm On May 14, 2017
creamylicious:
so weight is 65kg... height is 5ft 2inch..... underweight!!!!! stocking up on fatty foods from now onwards
What u need is continous dick.. trust me u will get fat after few months.

2 Likes

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Suko110(m): 2:32pm On May 14, 2017
At the end we will all die so.. .......

1 Like

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by abdulkayus(m): 2:33pm On May 14, 2017
OP, I am 168 to 169cm in height and weight 55kg, age 30 years old. Am I underweight? I have been trying to increase my weight for a while now but nothing. I do eat. Someone told me to go and get married, that I will increase in weight.
Pls, tell me how I can increase in weight and also if possible in height also.
Thanks
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 14, 2017
Omotayor123:
tnx God I'm not Underweight tongue

whick one be "tnx God"

nawa oo grin

1 Like

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by Nackzy: 2:33pm On May 14, 2017
But this guy jst pass a very good info.... N ur already lashing at him.... U c y weed isn't good for everyone....stop taking it so u can get ur senses bck

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by creamylicious(f): 2:34pm On May 14, 2017
G1ms:

What u need is continous dick.. trust me u will get fat after few months.
lol... yuck that thing is irritating
Re: Health Risks Of Being Too Skinny Or Underweight by ClaraJ(f): 2:34pm On May 14, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

481 New COVID-19 Cases, 266 Discharged And 5 Deaths On July 30 - (3,622 Tested) / I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice! / Rachel The Piper Foundation Reaches Out To The Poor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.