Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,140 members, 7,811,212 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Did Smartphones & Social Media Deplete Out Humanity? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Did Smartphones & Social Media Deplete Out Humanity? (434 Views)

Top 10 Cosmic Doomsday Scenarios That Could Wipe Out Humanity / Buy Smartphones Of Your Choice And Pay Later – Easybuy Mobile Device Financing / Did Smartphones And Social Media Deplete Our Humaneness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Did Smartphones & Social Media Deplete Out Humanity? by Papzey(f): 9:33pm On May 14, 2017
Humaneness is described as the sympathetic concern of the well-being of other in the English dictionary. It can also be said to be the quality of consideration or compassion for others. In Ren (Confucianism), humaneness is defined as Human-ness, the essence of the being human. And it further says the way of humaneness is human interaction. I am going to be focusing on the human interaction part. How much do we interact physically with each other in this new social media era? Why have smartphones depleted our human interaction with others and our environment?

In this social media era, with smartphones becoming widely available at affordable prices, and internet data subscription getting cheaper, physical human interaction has been suffering. The way people (especially teenagers and youths) are always immersed in their phones and the internet instead of connecting with the people around them in their environment is becoming alarming. The importance of the internet and social media cannot be overemphasized, but the adverse effects it is having on us should not be neglected.

There is a lot that can be learned on the internet. My own personal quote is that “you would be overwhelmed by the information on the internet”. We also connect and network on the social media, but at what cost? If you walk into a fast food restaurant right now, you would see people on the same table with their faces glued to their smartphones trying to upload pictures they’d just snapped on Facebook, SnapChat, and Instagram. This little gesture of using the phone instead of focusing on bonding with the people you are out with is harmful.

Imagine I am out on a date with my girlfriend. I am trying to reply my messages on WhatsApp while she is busy moderating her notifications on Facebook. This clearly shows that we are spending time together but we are not actually together. We are living in a world where constant seeking of likes and comments on social media contents is more important than going out and meeting people for real. We have replaced the normal reality with virtual reality. Girls now feel obliged to wake up each morning, bath, makeup and dress-up in different dresses just to snap pictures in various poses and upload on the social media. This does mean they are leaving their homes. Boys are out in a joint or location and they are constantly updating their statuses to their online friends/followers just for show.

Read more: http://www.rapportnaija.com/2017/03/social-media-smartphones-humaneness.html
Re: Did Smartphones & Social Media Deplete Out Humanity? by Papzey(f): 3:25pm On May 16, 2017
Please

(1) (Reply)

Comedian "I Go Die" Surprises Mum With A House (so Beautiful) / Muslim Cleric, Wife And Their 4 Children Butchered To Death / Linda Ikeji Tv Sets For My Bridal Story 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.