Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,832 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason (2296 Views)

Smartphone Design Is Officially Dead, The Beasts Are Already Here - Naijatechguy / Blackberry Priv, The Company’s First Android Phone Officially Dead; Monthly Upda / Motorola Is Officially Back In Nigeria; Unveils New Range Of Smartphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by TechPill: 3:19am On May 15, 2017
If you a music enthusiast then you should be familiar with the word MP3. For those of you who still can't get it - MP3 is a popular music file format that was owned and licenced by Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits.

That been said, MP3 the popular music file format is approaching its inevitable death. Well, the file format had helped Apple and Spotify become music monsters. People still choose MP3 format over other music file format, but its license is being terminated. Techpill has it that, the institute is probably scare of MP3 future.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Li7MeJ3EhsI/WRkIHwC0T_I/AAAAAAAABwI/QtxrBpYyShIYddq3le_XE8Cz61VE6v2ZACK4B/s1600/MP3-format-dead.jpg[/img]

Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits which owns the patent for MP3 audio format and licenses it, has just announced that it will be no longer support the format. Well, if you are wondering the reason behind it, let me put you in the known. The creator said the reason behind it is that there are better ways to store music files nowadays. So the termination of MP3 will only but help those other formats. Below is Fraunhofer Institute’s official statement:

"Technicolor’s mp3 licensing program for certain mp3 related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS has been terminated.”

The institute also said that well-known streaming, TV, radio service providers are now using ISO-MPEG codecs like AAC family or MPEG-H. Is this the end of the road for MP3? well, people can still use the MP3 because they don't need a licence for it.

Now that MP3 has been terminated in order for other superior audio formats to reign, So, what do you think about this? Share your views in the comment box below.

Source: http://www.techpill.net/2017/05/mp3-audio-format-is-officially-dead.html

seun, lalasticlala, mynd44

1 Like

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by TechPill: 3:20am On May 15, 2017
What is your take?
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by sleemoon(m): 4:31am On May 15, 2017
In as much my phone can play any other format they release, den IDGAD even if ma mp2 or mp2019

7 Likes

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by directonpc(m): 4:55am On May 15, 2017
mp3 can not die
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by heed101(m): 5:23am On May 15, 2017
Mp3 is supported by virtually all media player. Even if it dies, the carcass is still very useful. Cheers

5 Likes

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by lanre316: 6:27am On May 15, 2017
Don't mind the so-called mp3 creators. Mp3 can NEVER die as long as we still have devices that can play it. What they want you to do is do start using their newer aac format. Probably because because of the licensing fees from developers and device manufacturers, as licenses for mp3 is expiring and they can't make as much money from it like aac format.
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by Nobody: 6:31am On May 15, 2017
Heroes don't die bro... They live on even when they're gone.
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by Bahddo(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2017
If the other formats are superior why would you need to kill mp3 for them?

2 Likes

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by CALEB65(m): 7:25am On May 15, 2017
hmm.... I will patiently wait for the new audio format to come

1 Like

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by khalhokage(m): 7:48am On May 15, 2017
lanre316:
Don't mind the so-called mp3 creators. Mp3 can NEVER die as long as we still have devices that can play it. What they want you to do is do start using their newer aac format. Probably because because of the licensing fees from developers and device manufacturers, as licenses for mp3 is expiring and they can't make as much money from it like aac format.

AAC is Apple's Codec not theirs.
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by lanre316: 7:59am On May 15, 2017
khalhokage:

LOL. Apple use aac, alright. But it's not theirs. It belongs to Franhouffer Institute.
. Google it.

1 Like

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by khalhokage(m): 8:26am On May 15, 2017
lanre316:

LOL. Apple use aac, alright. But it's not theirs. It belongs to Franhouffer Institute.
. Google it.

I guess I was wrong.
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by falcon01: 9:14am On May 15, 2017
I actually don't care cos I never any of those.
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by Olibboy: 9:28am On May 15, 2017
Mx player can play any form of format or extension. I don't give a damn

1 Like

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by Nobody: 9:36am On May 15, 2017
khalhokage:

Advanced Audio Coding

1 Like

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by Funlord2(m): 9:58am On May 15, 2017
R.I.P MP3!
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by pinkyruledworld(m): 10:37am On May 15, 2017
mp3 may die but not anytime soon.
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by abumeinben(m): 4:21pm On May 15, 2017
We can misinterpret Sha.

Patent getting terminated does not necessarily mean extinction.

It means other researchers and institutes can start using the format without referencing anyone. Infact, .mp3 just got started.

Don't be surprised to see a heavy video file coded in .mp3 or a your Bitcoin code or .exe in .mp3
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by swagguElite(m): 4:23pm On May 15, 2017
I dont kno about odas but for me! ... If the Mp3 is removed n replaced with AKA Abi AAC ...It will look weird!

Am so familiar to mp3 dat any other code name will change the delight of music in ears ....imagine using AAC instead of mp3 it will sound like am listening to a PDF file thru your earpiece! embarassed

" ... Now MP3 has been terminated in order for other superior audio formats to reign"

By the way if they claim they ar oda superior formats ...why do dey nid to erase mp3 format to make d oda superior format reign ...unless they ar nt as superior as they claim!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by ITbomb(m): 8:33pm On May 15, 2017
directonpc:
mp3 can not die
What if aac can save your 5 minutes music under 1mb with better quality. won't you go for it and save more space on your memory card ?
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by Goahead(m): 8:57pm On May 15, 2017
To put things into perspective, someone should kindly upload a song recorded on both mp3 and AAC for us to examine. undecided
Re: MP3 Audio Format Is Officially Dead! Here Is The Reason by directonpc(m): 2:01am On May 16, 2017
ITbomb:

What if aac can save your 5 minutes music under 1mb with better quality. won't you go for it and save more space on your memory card ?
ur brain dey work (y)

(1) (Reply)

Dual Sim Samsung Galaxy Note 9 SOLD / How To Get 17GB Data For 3000 Naira On Glo Valid For 30 Days / Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G Vs Huawei P50 Pro Vs Iphone 13 Pro Max

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.