Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,234 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier (16733 Views)

Arik, Aero Lose N16.5m Daily Over Closure Of Warri Airport / Nigeria Air… FG Unveils New National Carrier / FG Still Eyes Arik, Aero As Fulcrum For National Carrier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Akin0: 10:48am On May 15, 2017
Good idea. Building on the already existed assets of the two companies, will be a good starting point for a national carrier. I will advice that the running of the national carrier should be privately managed, while the government will have a large percentage of contributions. The government should also ensure that all outstanding debt and legal issues that might come up from the past owners are managed and dealt with , in order to avoid future litigation. It would also not a bad idea to look at the model of Kenyan's airline , South Africa Airline, that will assist in ensuring the airline did not go into extinction like "Nigeria Airways".
Lastly, some of then airlines in the fleets of the Presidency could also be included. These are all the promises of BUHARi during his campaign for the election.

It is time to have our NIGERIA AIRLINE and take over the african countries and use NIGERIA as a HUB, thereby creating more job opportunities for our people.

IT IS POSSIBLE.

1 Like

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Gamboh55(m): 10:49am On May 15, 2017
it will still fail, they will never learn.

1 Like

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by felixomor: 10:50am On May 15, 2017
No matter the merging.
If u dont maintain,
It will go down.
If u allow politicians to use it for personal and political use,
It will go down.

We should start focusing on maintenance

1 Like

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by babapressy(m): 10:51am On May 15, 2017
Wao
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Nobody: 10:55am On May 15, 2017
Bubua should consider me as DG of dis national carrier, i assure you b4 my term is over Nigerian Airways will be the most sort after, the best & most outstanding airline in Africa
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by dedunji: 10:55am On May 15, 2017
Good one but I will like them to merge PDP & APC because the two party is made up of the same people just like VIO & FRSC in fact we have a lot to merge in this country eg Fulani and boko .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by midastouch: 10:56am On May 15, 2017
This is a VERY disturbing news.

Having a NATIONAL CARRIER is not a MUST.

Very soon, the budget allocated to maintenance will go missing and planes will start falling down from the skies.

Quota system will ensure that unqualified and ill fitting personnel will swarm the whole place.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by seeyouin2019: 10:56am On May 15, 2017
bastards on the prowl.. Why not just keep the tips to yourself and make all the money..?
mrugooo234354w:
Change your winning status today!!!!
Boost your financial status today!!!!!...see details below
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by joenor(m): 10:57am On May 15, 2017
Nice one, I hope we get beta performance from the merging.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by 360command: 10:57am On May 15, 2017
vickylincon:
I hope it's well managed
it seems you did not read the article very well. let me make you understand, it is a good move but what i dont like is that "FG wan go buy gbese"
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Nobody: 11:02am On May 15, 2017
Jiang:
Bubua should consider me as DG of dis national carrier, i assure you b4 my term is over Nigerian Airways will be the most sort after, the best & most outstanding airline in Africa
Your signature though.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Aburi001: 11:05am On May 15, 2017
NubiLove:
it would go down the way of nigeria airways.
Enemy of progress!
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Howmon: 11:08am On May 15, 2017
Collateral error
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by laka2016: 11:15am On May 15, 2017
How do they want to do this and still avoid all the pitfalls of the past. Have we or do we learn any lessons from the defunct Nigeria Airways?

1 Like

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by emmanuelpopson(m): 11:19am On May 15, 2017
I'm less concern with the above news but my take is they should fulfill their promise for the payment of liquidated Nigeria Airway's staff who are yet to receive their entitlements...PMB and co should look into this and do the needful...May 2017 is going again..

1 Like

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Nobody: 11:20am On May 15, 2017
Aburi001:
Enemy of progress!

nigeria airways, virgin nigeria, air nigeria... all went down the drain because they were stealing from those companies.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by PDPGuy: 11:21am On May 15, 2017
I would support this plan if the management of the new airline isn't drawn from the same set of individuals who ran both Arik and Aero to the ground. Those guys would surely do the same to the national carrier if given the opportunity.

The national carrier should be a long-haul only airline, which would takeover the long haul operations of Arik, Medview and Air Peace. In return, the aforementioned airlines (and others) would have a share of the national carrier's revenue via code-share agreements.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by vickylincon(m): 11:31am On May 15, 2017
360command:
it seems you did not read the article very well. let me make you understand, it is a good move but what i dont like is that "FG wan go buy gbese"
lols. govt can never go bankrupt..it won't affect them a bit
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Odumanudo: 11:32am On May 15, 2017
The idea is good. But my fear is the usual government interference in the management of the airline. I hope Politicians and their family members will not turn the airline if it comes to fruition to their personal means of transportation.
The airline if eventually emerged should be professionally run by the professionals without the interference from the ruling party and its members. Airline business is technical and capital intensive. No airline will survive with any form of corruption or mismanagement. The proponent of this idea should look at the pros and coin of the merger of the two airlines and adumbrate the viability of a national airline.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by koning: 11:32am On May 15, 2017
They want to combine the 'looting'. Mismanagement is the problem. Very shameful we don't have a national carrier. Flown Kenya Airways a couple of times.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by hardbody: 12:28pm On May 15, 2017
ceomike:
A likely merger and conversion of assets of Arik Air and Aero Contractors is one of the options being considered by the Federal Government (FG) in the buildup to a new national carrier for the country.

The option, according to sources, is due to the alleged debt burden of the airlines. Besides, despite government’s recent intervention since their takeover by the Assets Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), the airlines are not promising in terms of operations and debt payment.

http://guardian.ng/business-services/aviation-business/arik-aero-may-merge-as-national-carrier/

For the sake of Arik I will not patronize the merged entity. They will bring in their pride and ineptitude to scorn their patrons. I will rather pay higher figures to foreign airlines than patronize anything Arik again.

If FG is midwifing this, any of Airpeace, or the other airlines (not Dana sha) can partner with aero.

Arik is a No-No for me. And I will train my generations yet unborn to never go near Arik. I missed meetings due to their pride and callousness and yet they were too proud to realize they owed some of us some duty. The airline will suffer and die in penury (considering it is a limited liability company).
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by eternalcity(m): 12:47pm On May 15, 2017
Bye-bye to Arik and aero airlines. This is their untimely end.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Nobody: 12:52pm On May 15, 2017
Alero3Arubi:

Your signature though.

Yap, i want the position not because of the money and power but to help my fellow Nigerian citizen. it may seem far fetched but thats my aim
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Nobody: 12:59pm On May 15, 2017
Jiang:

Yap, i want the position not because of the money and power but to help my fellow Nigerian citizen. it may seem far fetched but thats my aim
May it happen to you.
But...
Me right now...

2 Likes

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by dele31: 1:00pm On May 15, 2017
Government has never been a good business man. I think the gov't needs to think about this very well so as not to end up the way Nigerian Airway did.
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Mayflowa(m): 1:18pm On May 15, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:
Let's hope they don't mess this up as usual....

Big as we are, Kenya and Ethiopia have thriving national carriers and we don't....

Nigerian Airways could and should have cornered the whole West & Central African markets

The insecurity in Nigeria would drive any traveller
Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by Fidha254(m): 2:13pm On May 15, 2017
Form a regional airline instead.. All Ecowas members each contribute lets say $250Million.. The total budget would catapult it one of the largest airlines ...

1 Like

Re: FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier by isnovic(m): 2:39pm On May 15, 2017
Nairaland, the government is reading all suggestions made here on Nairaland.

I remember not too long, I made a thread and gave my suggestions on how to resuscitate our moribund national carrier given the fact that we were losing so much money due to not fulfilling the second half of our BAFTA agreement with most countries.

The government can go a step further by employing private managers like Emirates and Etihad.
Tasked them in making the new national carrier a powerful regional brand in 5 years.

Then with a 10 years plan make it a major player in international aviation.

Stella Oduah Airport Business plan should be modified and implemented, as it tried to make the airport a business model with all the auxillary services of five star hotels, shopping malls and business center and bays.

What is your take on Nigeria Air industry considering that we lose as much as $2billion yearly

[b][/b].......

[b]My question is why is difficult to get the National Carrier issue right once and for all, and why is it that if one is not immediately possible in the short run why innovative ideas to work around it has not been evolved?

[b][b]Nigeria has got to put her house in order.

You have to see business as a war, as every country practice protectionism howbeit stealthily.
Our NCAA must as a matter of fact call for the review of all BASA agreement with all our partners with a Nigeria-centric terms, this terms must be subjected to rigorous review to ensure she benefit from the implementation of these agreement.
These agreement frequencies should be tied to principle of reciprocity and nothing more.

All these can be done by being purposeful, forward looking, smart and showing shrewd business sense.
Yes we do not have a national carrier, but we can find a way around this.
Provide the enabling environment where local heavyweight airline operators can merge under a special investment vehicle to form a consolidated airline operator that will carry the Nigeria brand for 5-10years whilst building the strength, structure, technical know-how, market and human capital
Something similar to the Oil industry JV but without the multinational deceits and crookedness
These has immense benefits for the local airline operators as they will build a strong brand locally, operate at leverage using partner aircraft for transfer flights, more revenue, broader business reach & structure and more experienced/skilled human capital while in return the country earns from reduced risk, less prone to corruption and management team will be made up of representatives from various airlines, more national earning as a result of providing a leg in the BASA agreement and other associated benefits like building manpower and management board to drive the national airline after the termination of the purpose investment vehicle.
Yes, we do no have the funds for aircraft. AMCON should be made to provide the seed capital for this joint venture and they AMCON, should be kept through out the life of the JV as financial auditor and advisor.
It is important, that a separate management team be employed to run the JV but with a special arrangement that sees the JV partners and the FG appointing the JV management team who will be tasked on accountable milestones like brand reach, profitability, airport development and structures[/b]

[/b][/b]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Passport Ranked Among Countries With Least Powerful Passports / 15 Things Foreigners Need To Know Before Visiting Nigeria / The Abuja-kaduna Airports: A Testimony - Reuben Abati

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.