Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police (640 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Pastor Mathew Tagwai & 3 Others In Bassa, Plateau (Graphic) / Gunmen Attack Bassa In Kogi, Kill 20, Burn Down Churches And Houses (Graphic Pix / Ekiti Masquerades Attack Muslims Inside Mosque (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by smellingmenses: 2:33pm On May 15, 2017
Gunmen believed to be Fulani cattle herders killed 20 farmers praying inside a mosque over a land dispute in central Nigeria, a police spokesman told AFP Monday.

The attackers opened fire at the place of worship in Etogi village during morning prayers on Saturday, Niger state police spokesman Bala Elkana said.

“The gunmen opened fire on the worshippers inside the mosque during morning prayers and killed all the 20 worshippers,” Elkana said.

“They later shot sporadically on the village, injuring eight people.”

The shooting was a revenge attack after farmers killed one herder in a clash days earlier, the spokesman added.

The herders, who were raising cattle and farming, had settled near Etogi village on the condition that they would give a portion of their harvest to the community every season.

But the herders reneged on the agreement this year, refusing to pay the tax and instead claiming that the land belongs to them, according to the police.

“This led to a clash in which one herder was killed. The (latest) attack was to avenge the death,” Elkana explained.

Three suspects have been arrested in connection with the violence.

Deadly clashes between herders and farmers in Nigeria over land and water rights are frequent, especially in the Middle Belt region, which is considered the country’s agricultural heartland.

The resource conflict has been exacerbated in some areas by ethnic and religious tensions, with farming communities often Christian and herders Muslim.

Sparse vegetation in the north along with the gradual encroachment of the desert has forced largely nomadic herders to move south in search of food for their cattle.

That has led to clashes with farming communities over competition for limited resources.

Efforts by authorities to end hostilities between the two sides have not been successful.

The Nigerian government last year announced a plan to create grazing reserves for herders across the country to relieve tensions.

But farming communities rejected the plan, forcing the government to put it on hold:

http//punchng.com/herdsmen-kill-20-farmers-inside-mosque-police/
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 15, 2017
so what exactly would it cost to ban open grazing?
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by spinna: 2:47pm On May 15, 2017
Ethnic cleansing and land grabbing via malu.. in Nigeria yet nobody talks
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 15, 2017
Their father is away, VP can make the call now.

Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by OVI75(m): 3:14pm On May 15, 2017
APC is Fulani herdsmen
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by Justuceleague2: 3:48pm On May 15, 2017
These people are mentally mentally disabled
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by MasterChen: 3:49pm On May 15, 2017
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by ItsMeAboki(m): 2:52am On May 16, 2017
Now if this had happened against a Benue, Plateau or southern Kaduna community which are predominantly Christians, some e-rats and their likes would have turned it into a religious/ethnic conflict.
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by WORLDPEACE(m): 12:28pm On May 16, 2017
ItsMeAboki:
Now if this had happened against a Benue, Plateau or southern Kaduna community which are predominantly Christians, some e-rats and their likes would have turned it into a religious/ethnic conflict.
There's a question I have had on my mind. Isn't the average nomadic cattle rearing Fulani an Animist. Those hair braiding, skinny trousers wearing men and those women with navel revealing traditional clothes aren't muslims, are they? I grew up in the north central and I know those guys I've met are not muslims. Can you shed more light on this. What percentage of the cattle rearing nomads are actually muslims?
Re: Herdsmen Kill 20 Farmers Inside Mosque.. Police by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:47pm On May 16, 2017
WORLDPEACE:

There's a question I have had on my mind. Isn't the average nomadic cattle rearing Fulani an Animist. Those hair braiding, skinny trousers wearing men and those women with navel revealing traditional clothes aren't muslims, are they? I grew up in the north central and I know those guys I've met are not muslims. Can you shed more light on this. What percentage of the cattle rearing nomads are actually muslims?

They are not Muslims you are right. Mostly animists. Bit they dominate the nominal Muslims, so go figure.

(1) (Reply)

I Was Fair To All My Victims Except One Man - Notorious Kidnapper Evans / 3 Young Women Arraigned For Raping A Pastor / Jungle justice at suspected ritualists‘ den in Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.