Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history (825 Views)

What's The Worst Thing You Ever Did Under The Influence Of Alcohol? / Us Blames North Korea For Wannacry Cyber Attack / Left-Hander Problems That Shows Why Being Left-handed Is The Worst(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by kabayomi(m): 7:04am On May 16, 2017
This is a general advice/tutorial for the normal people on how to protect their data and computer from this attack.

For companies go and hire a computer security expert!

Okay let's get started cheesy

Here’s how a ransomware works:

1. Someone accidentally runs malicious code on their computer (perhaps from an email attachment)
2. This code (called “ransomware”) encrypts many of the files on their hard drive (or does something else malicious).
3. The code then demands a ransom. It notifies the person that if they don’t do something (in WannaCry’s case, send the attackers $300 worth of Bitcoin), the software won’t unencrypt those files.

In WannaCry’s case, after 3 days, it escalates the demand to $600. Then after a week, it claims the data will be lost forever. This said, 7 days haven’t yet passed, so we don’t yet know whether the attackers will carry through on this threat.

As far as we know, only computers that are running Windows and are connected to Internet via cable are vulnerable to WannaCry. But it’s a particularly nasty piece of ransomware in that only one person on a network needs to download it. From there, it can spread through local networks automatically, using ports normally reserved for network file sharing.

WannaCry is able to do this thanks to an exploit called EternalBlue that may have been developed by America’s own National Security Agency (NSA), then leaked recently.

Due its particularly virulent nature, WannaCry shut down several organizations over the weekend, including much of Britain’s National Health Service — preventing doctors from being able to use MRI machines, and even turning off the storage refrigerators that kept donated blood cool.

How to protect yourself

1. BACKUP YOUR FILES!!!

2. Keep your software up-to-date. Don’t disable auto-update. Developers are constantly fixing security vulnerabilities. Even though it seems like a pain, install their recommended updates.

3. Don’t open suspicious email attachments.
Don’t rely on tools like anti-virus alone to protect you from these sorts of attacks. You personally need to be vigilant. Security isn’t a product — it’s a process.

4. IF YOU BECOME A MAGA PAYUP If your computer gets infected with ransomware, and you don’t have backups of your files, you may want to go ahead and pay the ransom. While this rewards the criminals, it’s a small price to pay for saving irreplaceable files, such as family photos.

5. SHARE THE WORD AND WARN OTHERS - if one person on your network downloads it it's over, so instead of keeping quiet share the information

Microsoft discovered the vulnerability that WannaCry exploits back in March, and they’ve released patches for all recent operating systems.

Many thanks to Quincy Larson from freecodecamp for the tips.
CC: lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by Ermacc: 7:09am On May 16, 2017
This is very helpful. I remember 2 years ago, i was carrying out a big data analysis for an NGO, i connected my pc to the internet through a public cable and suddenly, i was struck by a ransomware, it encrypted all my files and was demanding for $1000. You should also know that it encrypts subsequent new files when you connect to the internent. Its not a funny experience as i had to restart the analysis all over on a different pc to avoid wahala. Pls take this virus seriously, it can ruin your life, lose your job, contracts and a whole lot of information. Lalasticlala mynd44, the world needs to be aware.

1 Like

Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by shikshark: 7:13am On May 16, 2017
Nigeria is red on that map shocked, please we are still in recession abeg
Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by kabayomi(m): 7:21am On May 16, 2017
shikshark:
Nigeria is red on that map shocked, please we are still in recession abeg

It's a map of infected regions
Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by kabayomi(m): 7:23am On May 16, 2017
Absolutely right bro
Ermacc:
This is very helpful. I remember 2 years ago, i was carrying out a big data analysis for an NGO, i connected my pc to the internet through a public cable and suddenly, i was struck by a ransomware, it encrypted all my files and was demanding for $1000. You should also know that it encrypts subsequent new files when you connect to the internent. Its not a funny experience as i had to restart the analysis all over on a different pc to avoid wahala. Pls take this virus seriously, it can ruin your life, lose your job, contracts and a whole lot of information. Lalasticlala mynd44, the world needs to be aware.
Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by thesicilian: 8:17am On May 16, 2017
Just thinking, can't the accounts the ransoms are being paid into be traced back to the owners for arrest by the appropriate authorities?
Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by kabayomi(m): 8:21am On May 16, 2017
thesicilian:
Just thinking, can't the accounts the ransoms are being paid into be traced back to the owners for arrest by the appropriate authorities?

They request bitcoin payment, it's untraceable embarassed

1 Like

Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by IdeyFindWife: 12:32pm On May 16, 2017
Also, folks who go trolling around in Deep/ Dark Web corners just because they're learning how to use Tor via a "FOR-DUMMIES" e-book better be on the look-out!

As well as torrent / p2p site newbies!
Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by OgidiOlu3(m): 12:34pm On May 16, 2017
thesicilian:

They requested bitcoin. The account balance can be seen but the account holder is practically untraceable. Bitcoin may now be at risk of being shut down in different countries as it is now very obvious that it can be used for criminal activities and the perps won't be caught or traced.
Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by thesicilian: 4:59pm On May 16, 2017
OgidiOlu3:

They requested bitcoin. The account balance can be seen but the account holder is practically untraceable. Bitcoin may now be at risk of being shut down in different countries as it is now very obvious that it can be used for criminal activities and the perps won't be caught or traced.
Okay, Thanks.
Re: How To Protect Yourself from WannaCry - The worst ransomware in history by otakulin: 8:20am On May 31, 2017
As for backup, you can try aomei backupper special designed for ransomware to protect your data.

(1) (Reply)

Ambode Insists On Relocating Computer Village, To Commence Ikeja Model City Mast / Sampamonis Art Website Design Promo / Biafra News,about Nnamdi Kanu-read And Drop Ur Comment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.