Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,354 members, 7,812,006 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Do Phones Really Cause Explosions At Filling Stations ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do Phones Really Cause Explosions At Filling Stations ? (538 Views)

Does Used Oil On Skin Really Cause Cancer? / 8 Safety Tips To Help You Around Filling Stations / How Petrol Attendants Cheat You In Filling Stations And Precautions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Phones Really Cause Explosions At Filling Stations ? by autojosh: 2:17pm On May 18, 2017
You have probably seen a sign telling you switch of your phone in a filling station.

The real question is , does a phone or its signal really cause a fire or explosions.

Over the years loads of researchers and engineers have taken this up.The answer always comes to this –NO.

The signals coming out of your phone have very little possibility of igniting petrol.

However its possible a spark from your phone battery can cause a fire.You and I know the possibility of your battery sparking is also very low.

So what is the real cause of these fires ?,two words STATIC ELECTRICITY.

Static electricity gets generated by almost everything you do,especially when two bodies meet.According to experts these fires are primarily caused by static electricity.

So how can we prevent explosions ?.Lets find out :

1.Stay In Your Car
As far as I know Nigeria does not have a self service gas station(I stand to be corrected,I haven’t seen one).So you don’t need to come out of your car .Static can be generated as you come out of your car and your foot robs against the foot mat.

If you have to come out at all stay outside until the refueling is complete,and tap the top of your car to get rid of static.

If for some reasons you have to do the refueling yourself ,make sure one hand is placed on top of the car to get rid of static,you should infact get rid of static electricity before touching the pump.I am sure you would have noticed some fuel attendants doing this, sadly not all of them do it.

2.Turn Off Your Engine
This needs no explanation,turn off your engine ! .

3.Place The Keg On The Ground
Kegs can also generate static .So when you are filling a keg don’t place it in your boot or on your car.Place it on the ground so the earth would absorb any voltage present.

4.In The Worse Case Scenario
If in the worse case scenario a fire breaks out while filling up, DONT pull the nozzle out !.Leave it in the car.And move far far away.

NOTE:

You should still switch off your phone ,when refueling,just in case .

I hope you have learnt something today.

Kindly share.

We love your comments ,keep them coming in !

https://autojosh.com/phones-really-cause-explosions-filling-stations/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Phones Really Cause Explosions At Filling Stations ? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:42pm On May 18, 2017
Re: Do Phones Really Cause Explosions At Filling Stations ? by MhissBelva(f): 2:48pm On May 18, 2017
Nice
Re: Do Phones Really Cause Explosions At Filling Stations ? by Donald3d(m): 3:02pm On May 18, 2017
Whizpete:
You just left me more confused than before...

What is STATIC ELECTRICITY biko?
undecided
Sorry about that
Static Electricity:
a stationary electric charge, typically produced by friction, that causes sparks or crackling or the attraction of dust or hair

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

URGENT PLZ: FORD FOCUS 2003 Or HONDA 1998 (ACADEMY)? YOUR CANDID ADVICE / See The Scary Note , The Person Who Broke My Car Side Mirror Left For Me / Honda Accord For Sale In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.