Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? (12168 Views)

Top 7 Skills And Qualities Employers Look For In Candidates / Top 25 Most In-demand Job Skills Right Now, Per Linkedin Report. / Without A Job Yet? Learn These 5 Top Skills And Get A Job!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by KillerBeauty(f): 7:35pm On May 19, 2017
What are soft job skills and why are they important?

UNDERSTANDING AND HIGHLIGHTING YOUR SOFT SKILLS FOR PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYERS WILL GIVE YOU A VALUABLE EDGE OVER OTHERS WHO ARE VYING FOR THE SAME JOB.

Soft skills are some of the most difficult competencies for people to understand. Job seekers and hiring managers alike can struggle with the challenge of defining, demonstrating, and recognizing soft skills. Though they're extremely fluid and highly personalized to each individual, soft skills are a critical component for professional success — and are often the most distinguishing factor between applicants, so make sure you show off your soft skills right.

What are soft skills
Understanding Hard vs. Soft Skills

The term "soft skills" is often difficult to understand. As the name suggests, these skills aren't as solid and clear-cut as others. Soft skills are also referred to as transferable skills, interpersonal skills, or social skills. Soft skills may include nearly any ability that pertains to the way you approach others or handle your professional life. Soft skills are difficult to measure. There aren't many tests or professional certifications that will demonstrate your proficiencies in these areas.

Hard skills, in contrast, are those skills that are very easily measured and defined. This includes things like accounting, computer programming, plumbing, or dentistry. You can easily obtain a degree or professional certification in these areas. They're very teachable, and almost always attainable if you have the means to pursue a formal education in that area.

Hard skills apply to very specific professions. Web design skills aren't applicable to a career as a surgeon. A nursing education is irrelevant if you're looking for a job as an electrician. Hard skills lock you into a particular occupation.

On the other hand, soft skills are more flexible and can serve you well in numerous occupations. Though it takes more effort and creativity to properly demonstrate these abilities, they're valuable to almost any job that you might pursue.

Professionalism

Professionalism is a soft skill that will set you up for success in any field. It acts as the driving force that pushes you to advance in your career. Some key skills that demonstrate your professionalism are self-motivation, work ethic, and resilience. Employees who are very professional are continuously working to improve themselves and their job performance. They're skilled in time management and organization. They also possess the skills needed to overcome common challenges, such as patience and stress management.

Some accomplishments that demonstrate your professionalism include:

Consistently finishing projects ahead of schedule
Exceeding the projections for a campaign

Demonstrating attention to detail and catching minute errors early in the production process

Taking the initiative to go above and beyond what was assigned

Interpersonal Skills

Interpersonal skills are another important subset of your soft skills. These skills pertain to how you relate to others, both inside and outside the company. With your co-workers, teamwork and mentoring skills are valuable. When you're interacting with customers, it's important to demonstrate perceptiveness and empathy, which will help you understand and resolve their issues.

Demonstrating strong listening skills, emotional intelligence, and communication skills will serve you well no matter who you're working with. Those who are good at networking are a valuable asset to the company as well.

You can demonstrate your interpersonal skills by:

Building strong, ongoing relationships with customers
Working collaboratively with your co-workers

Leading seminars or providing effective training

Maintaining an extensive network of important contacts including vendors, clients, and partners

Leadership and Management Skills

While leadership skills are most relevant to those in a business management position, don't think that you have to be at the top of the pack to showcase these soft skills. Demonstrating that you're an effective leader will serve you well in any industry or position. If a hiring manager spots leadership potential, they may keep you at the top of the file for future promotions.

Management competencies are typically considered soft skills because they're so difficult to measure. Good managers are skilled with problem solving and project management. They're usually good at performing essential research and analytics. Strong leaders also know how to handle interpersonal issues that arise with those around them. They have critical observation skills that help them identify problems as well as conflict resolution skills to help them skillfully mediate disagreements.

Some accomplishments that will showcase your leadership and management skills include:

Successfully heading a major project with several others on your team

Skillfully delegating responsibilities to others
Identifying difficult problems and implementing innovative solutions with measurable results

Overseeing sales and marketing campaigns

Including Soft Skills on Your Resume

It's more difficult to feature soft skills on a resume than it is to highlight your hard skills. However, soft skills are just as important to potential employers. While all the applicants for a marketing position are likely to have college degrees in marketing, not all of them will have the same set of soft skills to bring to the job. This is truly where you can distinguish yourself from the competition.

Don't simply list off your soft skills without providing some measure of proof to back up your statements. Anyone can say that they have strong communication skills. Demonstrate yours by highlighting projects that required you communicate effectively with a diverse group of people. With soft skills, it's more important to show than it is to tell. Include measurable details wherever possible.

How many new clients did you land with your networking skills?

How much did you improve productivity with your problem-solving talents?

While training for soft skills is more difficult to come by, it does exist in some cases. If you've attended a workshop or seminar to help you develop a soft skill, don't hesitate to feature this on your resume. Not only will it demonstrate your expertise in that area, it will show that you recognize the importance of oft-overlooked skill sets and have dedicated yourself to making improvements in these areas.

Your soft skills can make the difference between a lackluster interview and one that lands you the job. Make sure you take the time to identify your strengths in these areas so you can shine a bright spotlight on the soft skills that make you stand out the most.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/advice/what-are-soft-job-skills-and-why-are-they-important?linkid=37007923

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:51pm On May 19, 2017
Tell them ooo...
please just tell them to learn a skill and advance!!
I don tire to write about am...
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by Jinora: 4:04pm On May 20, 2017
No matter the hard skill you possess if you lack soft skills you cannot excel in your profession.
Be salary staff or self employed, in a leadership position or just a low level staff your soft skill like your communication skill, time management skill, emotional intelligence etcetera is what will make you progress. You might be a guru in the ICT department but if you can't make deadline or you are always tardy you won't go places in the workplace. Also no university course teaches these soft skills its something you have to learn your self.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by ignis: 7:19am On May 21, 2017
Please is soft skill same as soft work?

2 Likes

Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by mekstaniac(m): 7:20am On May 21, 2017
Noted. Thanks OP
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by wintersnow(m): 7:20am On May 21, 2017
My gurl knows I gat hard skills tongue

1 Like

Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by veekid(m): 7:20am On May 21, 2017
Who soft skills help? Hard skills ti take over
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by Shugadpuna: 7:20am On May 21, 2017
Check my signature.... its our work o!
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by darfay: 7:23am On May 21, 2017
kpanshing can come in handy to service your boss for fast promotion
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by dfrost: 7:37am On May 21, 2017
Nice breakdown op albeit you can examples of such soft skill to wannabes.
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by kclee(m): 8:22am On May 21, 2017
nice write, good work op
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by benlash: 8:31am On May 21, 2017
Guys, Get In Here! 4 Types of Women You Should Totally Avoid

The Barbie

Very great looks. totally makes all the other guys jealous of you… but that’s all there is about her.

No brains whatsoever. What’s worse, she never makes any attempt to get knowledge [or maybe she really just can’t.]
continue reading:
http://mainvibes.com/guys-get-8-types-women-totally-avoid/
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by Nobody: 8:42am On May 21, 2017
ignis:

see this clown
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by tunde82seidat(f): 9:10am On May 21, 2017
Jinora:
No matter the hard skill you possess if you lack soft skills you cannot excel in your profession.
Be salary staff or self employed, in a leadership position or just a low level staff your soft skill like your communication skill, time management skill, emotional intelligence etcetera is what will make you progress. You might be a guru in the ICT department but if you can't make deadline or you are always tardy you won't go places in the workplace. Also no university course teaches these soft skills its something you have to learn your self.
But how do we learn ds soft skills?
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by lilreese: 9:36am On May 21, 2017
Nice post
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by sasquareT(m): 9:40am On May 21, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:
Tell them ooo...

please just tell them to learn a skill and advance!!

I don tire to write about am...
Oga Boss I will like to seek your opinion on some personal issues like now, pls can you leave your Watsap digits here for me, here is my digits if you don't mind chatting me up 08136340849, am also sending you pm right away
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 9:45am On May 21, 2017
sasquareT:

Oga Boss I will like to seek your opinion on some personal issues like now, pls can you leave your Watsap digits here for me, here is my digits if you don't mind chatting me up , am also sending you pm right away

lol.. Bro I no dey whatsapp again.

My phone don spoil. I will reply your mail so that we can communicate there.
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by mrww(m): 10:07am On May 21, 2017
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUUxKTYllcE/
Just click and like this picture on Instagram
#much love
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by Hassy4(f): 10:22am On May 21, 2017
This is a beautiful write up. I just finished one month internship on soft skills and Entrepreneurship training. Gave a 15min proposal presentation on a project. Would include that in my cv as u adviced asap. God bless you.
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by sasquareT(m): 10:49am On May 21, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

lol.. Bro I no dey whatsapp again.

My phone don spoil. I will reply your mail so that we can communicate there.
ok
but I've have not seen the reply of my pm.
here is my email address then femisasa@gmail.com
thanks
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by remainhidden: 12:37pm On May 21, 2017
I thought i was gonna see importexpert
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by CFC1(m): 12:41pm On May 21, 2017
[b][/b]Help needed! How can I manage 10k for a month on feeding as a student.

with the current economic condition I want to start Cookie my own food in school but I don't knw is 10k out of my pocket money will be enough.
idea and advice will be appreciated
thanks

I hope it gets to front page
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by jamjam1991(m): 12:46pm On May 21, 2017
ignis:
lol... the soft werk i sabi na yahoooo... and gambling all join soft na soft... wire takes over money must be made
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by osahon360(m): 1:57pm On May 21, 2017
Hassy4:
This is a beautiful write up. I just finished one month internship on soft skills and Entrepreneurship training. Gave a 15min proposal presentation on a project. Would include that in my cv as u adviced asap. God bless you.
Pls I would like to know whr u got dis internship from.Pls call or Watsapp 08169283082 Tanx
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by Hassy4(f): 8:32pm On May 21, 2017
osahon360:

Pls I would like to know whr u got dis internship from.Pls call or Watsapp 08169283082 Tanx
Ok, from harmony innovation hub, gwarimpa Abuja. It's not a paid one though, as in, we were not paid but we had access to their courses and even did online courses too for free
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by amoss88: 9:31pm On May 21, 2017
Hassy4:
Please how did you go about this I 'll love to enrole for this aswell.thanks
Re: What Are Soft Job Skills And Why Are They Important? by Hassy4(f): 10:09am On May 22, 2017
Send ur cv to this email and indicate ur interested in the internship ,heyes@hwwgs.com
All the best, if asked how you got the address, just say Hassana dt just concluded hers referred u

(1) (Reply)

Share The Experience About How You Got That Juicy Job Of Yours / Why Are There No Job Agencies In Nigeria??? / Job Search Pitfalls: Beware Of These Red Flags!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.