Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,735 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

My Nigerian Star: Ndarabi Familola Fatima - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Nigerian Star: Ndarabi Familola Fatima (538 Views)

Roy Lan Uzoma, "My Nigerian Dream" Book Author (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Nigerian Star: Ndarabi Familola Fatima by Papzey(f): 6:01pm On May 20, 2017
I can't stop reading this sizzling piece I submitted into KonnectAfrica "Nigerian Star" online contest in October 2013. It made the first 20 cut and I am still proud about it till date. I believe it is worth resharing. Read and enjoy!

My Nigerian Star: NDARABI DAMILOLA FATIMO- IKORODU, LAGOS STATE

Ndarabi Damilola Fatima is a native of Ojagboro, Ilorin–East LGA in Kwara State. She advocates for development as a young change agent. She was born in Lagos to the family of Mr. and Mrs. Ndarabi on the 9th of January 1992. She’s 21 (now 24). She attended Lagos State Civil Service Model College, Igbogbo Ikorodu Lagos where she distinguished herself.

She was previously studying history and international relations at the Lagos state University, Ikorodu campus, Lagos. As her love for justice, order and humanity got stronger; she transferred to the prestigious University of Ilorin to study law in pursuit of her quest for more knowledge.
Her advocacy for change and development has been with her over the years, but it became visible when she became the Vice President of the Ikorodu Sickle-cell club, Ikorodu- she herself lives with sickle-cell disease (SCD). She works for Humanity First Charity Organization of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, where she renders selfless and humanitarian service to actualize her dream of touching lives.

She has undoubtedly contributed immensely to achieving the objectives and goals of the Ikorodu Sickle-cell club project. She has contributed by essentially creating and increasing SCD awareness by sharing knowledge through the lectures she delivers from time to time. Dami is strongly convinced that ignorance about sickle cell can be largely eradiated by salvaging the society through value re-orientation, thereby educating students in schools, those on the streets, markets and everywhere possible.

A recent WHO report estimated that about 2% of newborns in Nigeria are affected by SCD, giving a total figure of 150,000 affected children every year in Nigeria alone. This disease shortens life expectancy when we consider that malaria is common and still prevalent in the country. Sickle cell trait disrupts physical and health fitness, therefore any effort that goes into eradicating the ailment is commendable.

SCD may lead to various acute and chronic complications, and this has a way of adding up to the mortality rate in Nigeria. Unfortunately, this is one area where government hasn’t paid enough concern and support. “The pains I suffer from SCD, really taught me compassion and care. Due to my knowledge of how the pains of the crises make me feel, I feel so sensitive to the pains of others, no matter how little it is,” says Damilola.

Damilola doesn’t just know the fact about her ailment. She tastes the pains each time her crises surfaces, and because she knows what it feels to go through the excruciating pain that comes from the disease, she has decided to find her way into the hearts of many with her brilliant use of social media as an effective tool to draw attentions to the millions of Nigerians suffering from SCD.
Her commitment and passionate dedication to this struggle while working on several heart touching stories stood her out and endeared her to many. She engages in so many online group activities where millions of people suffering from SCD share their struggles and ordeals all over the world.
Disregarding her tendency to get weak easily, and being susceptible to strenuous activities, she continues to support the awareness of SCD. She provides information, and passes invitations across the society for the annual World Sickle-cell day convention that comes up every 19th of June which she also attends. Just like Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teenager who was recently nominated for Nobel Peace Prize, Damilola is becoming somewhat of the voice of the voiceless.

Damilola Ndarabi, a devoted Muslim, nicknamed Saphylulu (meaning an Ambassador of God), believes religion is a way of life and regards Islam as her greatest influence when it comes to humanity. She’s a firm believer of the importance of service to humanity and a member of the Ahmadiyya Muslim community in Nigeria, where she distinguished herself by working voluntarily and tirelessly for the Humanity First charity organization. She partakes in fund-raising events for the charity organization.

Her greatest stress and what makes her anxious is the fear of the future, the fear of not achieving her aim of helping people, she’s scared that either death or the challenges of her health will stop her. She says she’s driven by “a passion for people’s well-being irrespective of their tribe or religion. I hope to increase moral values among young Nigerians. I hate to see people suffer or ache, I tend to shoulder people’s problems a lot once I’m aware of it, and if I can’t do a thing about it, it depresses me a lot. I help people because it’s a priority, and because I have made a commitment to do so. This is the essence of my being, to be able to make a difference- and seeing the difference- is a feeling like no other.” She once told me.

The popular saying that “live and let’s live” is Damilola’s favorite quote. Her effort is to see a world where there is fewer or no sufferer of SCD. She continues to create awareness about it knowing well how costly it is to manage the crises. She preaches prevention.
Over the years, she has learnt the powerful lesson of “how a little thing can be so much at the other end, the lesson that a little effort can move mountains and completely change the life of an individual. I saw the tremendous need, and I felt enormous gratitude from other sufferers of SCD. As a result, I felt that I couldn’t turn my back and walk away.” She explains.

She hopes to give her all to Charity organizations, and to create a club for kids living with SCD. She hopes to become a philanthropist, Sickle-cell advocate, lawyer and a human right activist in the nearest future. She wants to be known as an epitome of justice, and a world known Humanitarian. She’s indeed a Nigerian Star, who is MAD (making a difference) in Ikorodu community, and the world at large through her online presence.

Already posted on: http://www.rapportnaija.com/2016/03/my-nigerian-star-ndarabi-damilola-fatimo.html

(1) (Reply)

I'm New Here / The Darkest Night / If Only.... Love Poem By ODIMEGWU ONWUMERE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.