Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:48 PM

MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv (54653 Views)

How To Transfer Airtime From Mtn To Airtel Or Glo To Etisalat And Vice Versa / We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks / MTN To End Blackberry Services In Nigeria On January 27 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by 14(m): 1:35am On May 21, 2017
Arsenalholic1:
Guys look out for Kwese App owned by Strive Masiyiwa. It will hit the Nigerian market soon.

Enough of DSTV ripping us off in our own backyard with the help of our cursed leaders

Actually thats the intent, econet's Kwese tv must compete with MTN's Dstv. This is a very good business deal by NARSPERS. These guys see something we all dont see, they always think of the future. As it stands, African tv market will lipfrog decoders and will move to smart phones, thats what Kwese tv is targeting. For Naspers to hand over multichoice africa to MTN, mtn already has bigger subscribers of 200 million across Africa compared to Econet's 10 million. MTN will just suffocate Econet's kwese tv.

This is to punish Strive masiyiwa, who said, during his launch of Kwese tv, That he wants to murder or kill DStv across africa.

why do you think Naspers is keeping SA multichoice? They know Kwese tv will never succeed in entering South africa. Naspers are just thinking 5 to 10yrs ahead, where Africans will be excessing content via smart phones rather than decoders. Due to the economic downturn in the continent, multichoice africa has lost subscribers, getting them back, they would have to wait for the economy to pick up. The question will be, when will that happen? they cannot continue throwing money into a hole. MTN will take over multichoice africa, and focus on growing the mobile tv excess rather than try to grow decoder subscribers. It makes sense if a network offer those channels for free, knowing they would make profit when people buy Data in order to watch those mobile channels.

Very clever people.

2 Likes

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by thesicilian: 2:30am On May 21, 2017
14:

MTN will cut off some channels that dont get big viewership just to cut cost, as you heard, Multichoice africa is operating at a lost in the whole of africa except in SA where they are still making a profit. That means the profit they made in South africa was used to service the entire continent to cover the shortfall. So if MTN or any other companies takes over, there wont be that luxury, they would have to dig deep into their pocket or trim down the channels to stay afloat. With the current channels are there on Dstv, dstv is making a loss, how will the new company start making money with the same channels? mind you, those channels contracts have to be re-negotiated, its not gonna be easy.
Okay, I get your point.
But don't you think the reason they are making a loss at DSTV may be because their services are so expensive, and only few can afford it? Plus the obvious fact that no savvy person would want to pay for services that he or she did not enjoy? for example in the Nigerian setting, you pay over 6,000 naira for the compact package and you only get to watch it 3 or 4 times a month either because of your busy schedule or because there's hardly electric power?
I may be wrong, as I don't have details of their intricate working system, but I believe getting 1,000 naira from 200 people is much .more profitable in the long run than getting 50,000 naira from 4 people.

1 Like

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by AdeniyiA(m): 5:27am On May 21, 2017
All we want is PAYU subscription ...
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by otomatic(m): 5:49am On May 21, 2017
Africa should have anti-trust laws.

1 Like

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Kaybaba5(m): 5:54am On May 21, 2017
Who e help
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Mcreloaded(m): 6:52am On May 21, 2017
Iblame our leaders and politicians because apart from Dangote am yet to see any politician or leader past or present even though Dangote is neither who has a business or company of global standard like those in south Africa yet the billions we hear the loot is more than enough to start a business here that will employ thousands and yet they will be saying youth should go to the farm or start a small scale business when they the politicians seat on billions hidden without investing a kobo knowing fully well that they and their 5th generations to come will be taken cared of from the loot.

Which past president in Nigeria have a company in Nigeria that employs over 1000 Nigerians I wonder.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by jfleece(m): 7:13am On May 21, 2017
breadandbutter:
My tickets don cut cry
guy u funny ooo
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Nobody: 7:42am On May 21, 2017
Madeu:

Most of the Telecom coys are still making ROI, couple with The Nigerian factor of doing business. 2G and 3G are free in most countries. Just a matter of time Data price will drop. Lagos state govt now offers free wifi spot. Google and FB doing the same thing.
it will be after this useless govt leaves before anything can become cheap
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by ceejay80s(m): 7:48am On May 21, 2017
northvietnam:
Shoprite go soon buy Alaba international
funniest talk ever
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Revolva(m): 8:17am On May 21, 2017
na dem dem ....make dem buy a,m sef
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by northvietnam(m): 10:21am On May 21, 2017
ceejay80s:
funniest talk ever

since South Africa ti take over naah.. e go soon hapn

1 Like

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by 14(m): 11:05am On May 21, 2017
Origin:
Competition is sweet I tell you.

Econet's Kwese tv has come to Nigeria and has even bought the NPL rights.
Kwese tv will most likely have have a PAYG option instead of fixed and they are already trending all over Africa.

I see "smart" CEOs and I wonder. Most Kwese tv staff were formerly from Multichoice. Rumors of inadequate staff welfare and high use of contract staff at Multichoice (as most companies now do)

Now your staff are with your competitors and they know your secrets. They know how much you made from the NPL and made a far better offer.

The largest market in Africa and yet you can't give back to your customers. It's always about the profits, profits profits that still hardly gets into the hands of stockholders. Anyhooos its all business.

Biggest market in what way? Dstv is making a loss in n8geria, lets see if kwese tv can operate and make profit only from mobile tv. You must be very careful, nigeria could be left with no satelite tv. You think its cheap to run satelite tv with multiple channels that you need to pay for.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by 14(m): 11:34am On May 21, 2017
thesicilian:

Okay, I get your point.
But don't you think the reason they are making a loss at DSTV may be because their services are so expensive, and only few can afford it? Plus the obvious fact that no savvy person would want to pay for services that he or she did not enjoy? for example in the Nigerian setting, you pay over 6,000 naira for the compact package and you only get to watch it 3 or 4 times a month either because of your busy schedule or because there's hardly electric power?
I may be wrong, as I don't have details of their intricate working system, but I believe getting 1,000 naira from 200 people is much .more profitable in the long run than getting 50,000 naira from 4 people.

Dstv prices are the same across the continent. It depends on the affordability. Many people in SA can afford DStv, because south africa has bigger middle class. Its not easy to run a satelite tv in Africa. Strive musiyiwa will get a shock of his life, when he will be just throwing money from his econet to deep hole.

Many people think DStv is making a killing with profit in the continent, little do they know that subscription is very low in Africa. Just only over 8.5 million subscribers across Africa, 6 million of them are in South africa.

2 Likes

Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Arsenalholic1: 1:34pm On May 21, 2017
14:

Actually thats the intent, econet's Kwese tv must compete with MTN's Dstv. This is a very good business deal by NARSPERS. These guys see something we all dont see, they always think of the future. As it stands, African tv market will lipfrog decoders and will move to smart phones, thats what Kwese tv is targeting. For Naspers to hand over multichoice africa to MTN, mtn already has bigger subscribers of 200 million across Africa compared to Econet's 10 million. MTN will just suffocate Econet's kwese tv.

This is to punish Strive masiyiwa, who said, during his launch of Kwese tv, That he wants to murder or kill DStv across africa.

why do you think Naspers is keeping SA multichoice? They know Kwese tv will never succeed in entering South africa. Naspers are just thinking 5 to 10yrs ahead, where Africans will be excessing content via smart phones rather than decoders. Due to the economic downturn in the continent, multichoice africa has lost subscribers, getting them back, they would have to wait for the economy to pick up. The question will be, when will that happen? they cannot continue throwing money into a hole. MTN will take over multichoice africa, and focus on growing the mobile tv excess rather than try to grow decoder subscribers. It makes sense if a network offer those channels for free, knowing they would make profit when people buy Data in order to watch those mobile channels.

Very clever people.
Wow! This is very expository and eye-opening.

MTN really have the advantage here going by what you've said. On the flip side, this could literally have their feet being held over a fire. As they will have to make their prices and consumption rate fair, or people will move to the competition.

Let's see how this goes though. I just hate the mindless ripping off of MTN and DSTV in Nigeria.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Arsenalholic1: 1:38pm On May 21, 2017
EzeeYFB:
how does it work abeg n shey we go fit dey watch our matches n other better stations? Cos dstv dey show pple pepper
It's an App that can be downloaded on a phone.

The idea is to get people watching their favorite stations and chanbels on phone without the headache that comes with subbing your decoder.

And yes, the last I read, Strive Masiyiwa got the rights to stream matches from Europe.

You can like his page on FB to learn more.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Afritop(m): 8:49am On May 22, 2017
MAN WANT TO DEAL WITH US
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by EzeeYFB(m): 11:12pm On May 22, 2017
Arsenalholic1:
It's an App that can be downloaded on a phone.

The idea is to get people watching their favorite stations and chanbels on phone without the headache that comes with subbing your decoder.

And yes, the last I read, Strive Masiyiwa got the rights to stream matches from Europe.

You can like his page on FB to learn more.
that's cool man.
What about the data consumption and subscription fee like?
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Arsenalholic1: 8:16am On May 23, 2017
EzeeYFB:
that's cool man.
What about the data consumption and subscription fee like?
I can't say yet bro. But I am 100% sure it's going to be very affordable -- 'cos that's the plan.
Re: MTN To Acquire DSTV And Gotv by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 04, 2017
Timelezz:
So dstv intends offloading thier exploitation of Africans to another south African company that has mastered the art of corporate thievery and profiteering while sparing their customers in south Africa.

Time for Nigerians to do the needful; ditch mtn and dstv for ctl and glo or any other telecom until these animals from Zululand bring same service they deliver in south Africa back here .

The ANC Government is officially one of the most corrupt government in Africa and is robbing white firms (dstv) blind through BEE and they are selling out or risk bankruptcy.

And they are using Nigerian patronage to offset official mismanagement.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shameLEZZ grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Your Android Phone Malfunctioning? Get Help Here / Finally Gotten The Itel S31. My Personal Review Follows / How To Know Those Who Saved Your Contact On Whatsapp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.