Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,016 members, 7,953,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:32 AM

Urgent Engine Oil Question - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Urgent Engine Oil Question (923 Views)

please help urgent engine oil light / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage / Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Engine Oil Question by TKH(m): 2:09pm On May 22, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a Honda Pilot 2004/2005 and was advised on this forum to use 5w20 engine oil. That is also the Honda recommendation.

But I am just returning from major Total and Mobil stations here in Ibadan, and I am told that 5w20 is not available in Naija. Total said I should use 5w40 while Mobil recommends 5w30. Please I would like to confirm the availability of 5w20 in the country, and if not available, I would like to know the best alternative. I am assuming changing the oil is important and should not be unduly delayed. The car came with an 81k mileage.

In addition, can I use the "Honda" filter that I am being offered, or should I be wary of fake?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Urgent Engine Oil Question by hodusglobal(m): 2:26pm On May 22, 2017
Original Honda Oil filter will be naked with transparent nylon wrapped on its body and you will also see Honda written on it without packet. If they give you a filter with packet, that's imitation. You can check from the nearest spare part shop.

For the engine oil.
There are many engine oil products in the market which were better than most of the oils that we knew their names. If you are in Ibadan, check at Auto spare parts market such as Gate or Ogunpa. I'm sure you may get the type of the oil recommended for your vehicle over there.

Have a nice day!
Re: Urgent Engine Oil Question by oNj(m): 2:31pm On May 22, 2017
TKH:
Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a Honda Pilot 2004/2005 and was advised on this forum to use 5w20 engine oil. That is also the Honda recommendation.

But I am just returning from major Total and Mobil stations here in Ibadan, and I am told that 5w20 is not available in Naija. Total said I should use 5w40 while Mobil recommends 5w30. Please I would like to confirm the availability of 5w20 in the country, and if not available, I would like to know the best alternative. I am assuming changing the oil is important and should not be unduly delayed. The car came with an 81k mileage.

In addition, can I use the "Honda" filter that I am being offered, or should I be wary of fake?

Thanks in advance.
5w-20 is very much available in the country; someone on NL even sells/delivers nationwide.
Nevertheless, 5w-30/5w-40 is close to the recommended
Re: Urgent Engine Oil Question by ivoryhouse(m): 2:44pm On May 22, 2017
@Op try and use the recommended fluid for your vehicle to avoid avoidable issues. 5w20 is available in Nigeria
Re: Urgent Engine Oil Question by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 22, 2017
Though 5w30 and 5w40 are close but whoever told u 5w20 is not available in Nigeria simply wants u to buy what they have. There are several brands of 5w20 allover the market. If u can't source for it then check konga.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Engine Oil Question by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:55pm On May 22, 2017
Us a good brand of 5w30. Engine protection over better fuel mileage any day.
Re: Urgent Engine Oil Question by autotrader2: 9:09pm On May 22, 2017
You can use the Toyota Motor Oil 5w20 . It is excellent for the Honda Pilot. It is made by ExxonMobil and branded for Toyota in the US. It can be used by all engines that require a 5w20, that's your factory recommend oil spec

You can get it by calling or texting 09086679585

See our thread link below

https://www.nairaland.com/2880651/us-engine-oils-toyota-motor/26

Re: Urgent Engine Oil Question by AutoElectNG: 6:46am On May 31, 2017

(1) (Reply)

BMW 2004 Model 545i For Sale. / Mercedes-benz / Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Gets Special Quality Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.