Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,757 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future (9442 Views)

The 5 Tips To Property Investing You Need To Remember / Land Investment Myths And The Truth About Them / Creating An Environment For Happy Property Investing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Nobody: 6:56am On May 23, 2017
If you’ve been investing in houses you’re probably listening to advice you’ve come across and believe to be true. But is it? Just because something is considered “common wisdom” that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s entirely true. It may be only partly true or it might be true only in certain circumstances. There are many property investment concepts that have been commonly maintained as being true…but are, in
reality, myths. Following are five common myths that stop people from investing in property:

Myth #1 – HOUSES ARE ALWAYS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE LAND CONTENT
Some parts of Lagos and Abuja are highly desired and yes, the price of land is leading to increases in property value. Remember, however, that not all land is the same. You won't need to look too hard to find thousands or hundereds of hectares of land in other parts of the country that won’t grow in value.
Why? Because nobody wants to live there! Desirability plays a huge part of real estate growth. In fact, without it, you won’t see an increase in your property’s value. This is why your property research should be targeted towards those areas where people want to live.

Myth # 2 – YOU CAN ONLY USE YOUR SAVINGS FOR PROPERTY INVESTMENTS
Typically, a beginning investor or someone with a negatively geared property will need cash flow the most, therefore they might opt out of an investment opportunity if their savings aren't enough, instead of sourcing for funds from other options or loan to secure it.
Then, once they’ve owned the investment property for a time, they have the option of switching towards paying down the principal to increase their equity in the property. Bottom line, interest only loans are a tool to be used in connection with a well-planned property investing strategy.

Myth # 3 – ONLY WEALTHY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO INVEST
With the growth of property values all across Lagos and other parts of Nigeria, this myth does appear to be true, but in reality, many individuals with incomes below #100,000 naira are investing in houses. An online survey done by naijapropertiesonline .com found that of the 253 households who responded, 37 percent have an income under #200,000 naira monthly. Data also showed that 29 percent of those respondents had incomes between #100,000 and #150,000 and 34 percent making more than #1,500000 per year.

Myth # 4 – PROPERTY ALWAYS GOES UP IN VALUE
Certain real estate cycles might make this myth seem to be true, however it’s not. One quick look at the history of market values will show you, without question, that property values don’t always rise… sometimes they remain stagnant and at other times they even fall. To mitigate any negative market changes, be sure that you’re always investing in houses or units in a suburb with strong fundamentals (e.g social amenities and access roads)

Myth #5 – YOU SHOULD ONLY INVEST NEAR THE CBD
Buying near the Central Business Districts is a great strategy, however it’s not the only place to invest. While areas close to the CBD do have a tendency to do well in terms of capital growth, that doesn’t mean they’re the only areas with such potential. Savvy investors, depending upon their particular situation and goals, look for property situated in areas where market drivers are strong, even if that takes them outside of the CBD.

So how can you avoid getting caught up in property investing myths? Education, of course, but not just any education. Find successful property investors who are further down the property investing road than you are and learn from their mistakes. Meet up with like-minded people to keep yourself grounded in the truths about investing in property and for a bit of encouragement when the going gets a bit rough or you just need some good advice.

Source:
https://www.positiverealestate.com.au/5-property-investing-myths-kill-investors-futures/

www.naijapropertiesonline.com

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by eezeribe(m): 6:57am On May 23, 2017
Nice post.Thanks Op.
Similar myths were debunked in 'Trump's Strategies on Real estate' and 'The real book on Real estate' by Robert Kiyosaki.
I also learnt a lot from my own experience,after we built a Lodge in one of the public Universities.

lalasticlala,Mynd44
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Nobody: 6:58am On May 23, 2017
Insightful..

A PARCEL OF DRY LAND MEASURING 1950sqm or THREE
(3) PLOTS OF LAND. FENCED AND GATED IN A SERENE
ENVIRONMENT.
Suitable for Schools, Hospital, Church or Other Religious
Buildings and Corporate Office(s)

MainOne Cables Data Centre)

TITLE: Governor's Consent

PRICE: # (negotiable)

Call/WhatsApp: +2348075256644
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

Read also, www.nairaland.com/3803554/2-prime-plots-land-sangotedo
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by eezeribe(m): 7:07am On May 23, 2017
PropertiesNaija:
Insightful..

You are right.
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by ugleenerd: 7:14am On May 23, 2017
Lst buh nt d least.....dnt read post like dis...try Nd pray 4 sense frm God.... grin
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Teewhy2: 7:14am On May 23, 2017
Nice write up, if you don't study well before investing in property in Nigeria, you will burn your hands. That is how someone came to convince me to buy land in estates in ofada area of ogun state, saying sweet things about the place with my little salary I was paying every month denying myself of some things. 6-7years down the lane no major development around the area and value of property stayed stagnant till now.

Are you building on a swampy area, want to do pile foundation /Need Roof parapet.
Reduce the building load by making use of polystyrene material for your roof parapet and slab.
Click below to get more information

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by ileogbenfidel(m): 7:16am On May 23, 2017
Noted
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by solid3(m): 7:17am On May 23, 2017
I have learnt something on nairaland today. Nice one OP.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Miarose: 7:20am On May 23, 2017
eezeribe:
Nice post.Thanks Op.
Similar myths were debunked in 'Trump's Strategies on Real estate' and 'The real book on Real estate' by Robert Kiyosaki.
I also learnt a lot from my own experience,after we built a Lodge in one of the public Universities.

lalasticlala,Mynd44
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Miarose: 7:20am On May 23, 2017
Please can you share what you learnt from your experience? [quote author=Miarose post=56786784][/quote]
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by slazedeez: 7:21am On May 23, 2017
eezeribe:
Nice post.Thanks Op.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

please share your experience, we can all learn.
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Buylekkinownow(m): 7:24am On May 23, 2017
Point #3 good one - Myth # 3 – ONLY WEALTHY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO INVEST

Click to check out some other real estate property you can afford in lekki
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by menwongo(m): 7:24am On May 23, 2017
#1 is unanimously known
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by TheLogicalMind(m): 7:28am On May 23, 2017
PropertiesNaija:
If you’ve been investing in houses you’re probably listening to advice you’ve come across and believe to be true. But is it? Just because something is considered “common wisdom” that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s entirely true. It may be only partly true or it might be true only in certain circumstances. There are many property investment concepts that have been commonly maintained as being true…but are, in
reality, myths. Following are five common myths that stop people from investing in property:

Myth #1 – HOUSES ARE ALWAYS BETTER BECAUSE OF THE LAND CONTENT
Some parts of Lagos and Abuja are highly desired and yes, the price of land is leading to increases in property value. Remember, however, that not all land is the same. You won't need to look too hard to find thousands or hundereds of hectares of land in other parts of the country that won’t grow in value.
Why? Because nobody wants to live there! Desirability plays a huge part of real estate growth. In fact, without it, you won’t see an increase in your property’s value. This is why your property research should be targeted towards those areas where people want to live.

Myth # 2 – YOU CAN ONLY USE YOUR SAVINGS FOR PROPERTY INVESTMENTS
Typically, a beginning investor or someone with a negatively geared property will need cash flow the most, therefore they might opt out of an investment opportunity if their savings aren't enough, instead of sourcing for funds from other options or loan to secure it.
Then, once they’ve owned the investment property for a time, they have the option of switching towards paying down the principal to increase their equity in the property. Bottom line, interest only loans are a tool to be used in connection with a well-planned property investing strategy.

Myth # 3 – ONLY WEALTHY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO INVEST
With the growth of property values all across Lagos and other parts of Nigeria, this myth does appear to be true, but in reality, many individuals with incomes below #100,000 naira are investing in houses. An online survey done by naijapropertiesonline .com found that of the 253 households who responded, 37 percent have an income under #200,000 naira monthly. Data also showed that 29 percent of those respondents had incomes between #100,000 and #150,000 and 34 percent making more than #1,500000 per year.

Myth # 4 – PROPERTY ALWAYS GOES UP IN VALUE
Certain real estate cycles might make this myth seem to be true, however it’s not. One quick look at the history of market values will show you, without question, that property values don’t always rise… sometimes they remain stagnant and at other times they even fall. To mitigate any negative market changes, be sure that you’re always investing in houses or units in a suburb with strong fundamentals (e.g social amenities and access roads)

Myth #5 – YOU SHOULD ONLY INVEST NEAR THE CBD
Buying near the Central Business Districts is a great strategy, however it’s not the only place to invest. While areas close to the CBD do have a tendency to do well in terms of capital growth, that doesn’t mean they’re the only areas with such potential. Savvy investors, depending upon their particular situation and goals, look for property situated in areas where market drivers are strong, even if that takes them outside of the CBD.

So how can you avoid getting caught up in property investing myths? Education, of course, but not just any education. Find successful property investors who are further down the property investing road than you are and learn from their mistakes. Meet up with like-minded people to keep yourself grounded in the truths about investing in property and for a bit of encouragement when the going gets a bit rough or you just need some good advice.

Source:
https://www.positiverealestate.com.au/5-property-investing-myths-kill-investors-futures/

www.naijapropertiesonline.com

O boy, for that number 2, if you know the excessive and indiscriminate compound interests that Nigerian banks charge on loans you will do everything within your power to avoid becoming indebted to them. That's why there are so many toxic debts in our banking system. I have seen occasions when a loan of just N6 million became N 80 million debt in just a few years because of 28%
interest rate.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by money121(m): 7:39am On May 23, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Evablizin(f): 7:55am On May 23, 2017
Op 200likes 4 u
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Evablizin(f): 8:00am On May 23, 2017
Hw much u don win so far?
dully6:
i know you will love to win, why not take a step forward today...

1 Like

Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Interesting15: 8:04am On May 23, 2017
eezeribe:
Nice post.Thanks Op.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

Hi. How can I contact you?
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by whirlwind7(m): 8:06am On May 23, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

O boy, for that number 2, if you know the excessive and indiscriminate compound interests that Nigerian banks charge on loans you will do everything within your power to avoid becoming indebted to them. That's why there are so many toxic debts in our banking system. I have seen occasions when a loan of just N6 million became N 80 million debt in just a few years because of 28%
interest rate.

Exactly! You'd have to be making crazy money to ever consider taking a loan from a Nigerian bank. Imagine taking a loan to buy a property, and the compounding interests on same loan happened to climb far above the value of the property within a few short years!

I don't advise anyone to go this route!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by whirlwind7(m): 8:08am On May 23, 2017
eezeribe:
Nice post.Thanks Op.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

Can you be kind enough to elaborate on this, pls?
We are here to glean wisdom from each others experiences.
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Nobody: 8:17am On May 23, 2017
ROXBURY HOMES BRINGS TO YOU THE BEST OF
LUXURIOUS LIVING WITH STYLE..

SEMI-DETACHED FOUR (4) BEDROOM and TWO (2)
BEDROOM DUPLEXES WITH BQ ARE UP FOR SALE.
COMES FULLY EQUIPPED WITH MODERN GADGETS, and
CARPORTS WITH AMPLE PARKING SPACE.

FACILITIES: One Year Membership of Dream World Fun
City, Swimming Pool, Event Centre, Gym Centre, Round The Clock Security.

Lekki-Lagos. (BEFORE THE FIRST ROUND ABOUT)

TITLE: Governor's Consent

PRICE: # (Call to make enquiries on the payment plans)
FLEXIBLE PAYMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE

Call/WhatsApp: 08075256644; 08169173378
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

www.naijapropertiesonline.com/listings/2nd-toll-gate-
ochid-hotel-road-eleganza/

1 Share

Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by xtreemk: 8:36am On May 23, 2017
Awesome post,
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by Icon4s(m): 9:08am On May 23, 2017
ok
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by chukzyfcbb: 9:31am On May 23, 2017
So op what's your take on Ibeju lekki, it seems to be rave of the moment. It has been marketed so much that every tom dic.k and harry knows about the area.
However, despite the sweet talks of dangote refinery, free trade zone and all of that, I still feel its a little overrated.
- What's the nature of the land, swampy I guess.
- Seeing there are many suppliers, competition will force down prices
- The nature of speculative buying from individuals will dampen growth, because majority have the intention to flip lands and not actually erect building.

these are my take tho

1 Like

Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by chukzyfcbb: 9:36am On May 23, 2017
So op what's your take on Ibeju lekki, it seems to be rave of the moment. It has been marketed so much that every tom dic.k and harry knows about the area.
However, despite the sweet talks of dangote refinery, free trade zone and all of that, I still feel its a little overrated.
- What's the nature of the land, swampy I guess. if so, majority of the lands will remain fallow because the class of buyers are in the low middle class who can't afford to spend huge sums building on swamps

- Seeing there are so many suppliers (estates) in the area, its natural that competition will force down prices in future

- The nature of speculative buying from individuals presently will dampen growth, because majority of investors have the intention to flip lands and not actually erect building.

these are my take tho
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by bukitt: 10:40am On May 23, 2017
chukzyfcbb:
- What's the nature of the land, swampy I guess. if so, majority of the lands will remain fallow because the class of buyers are in the low middle class who can't afford to spend huge sums building on swamps

- Seeing there are so many suppliers (estates) in the area, its natural that competition will force down prices in future

- The nature of speculative buying from individuals presently will dampen growth, because majority of investors have the intention to flip lands and not actually erect building.

these are my take tho

Confirm! But which is preferable between ibeju lekki n mowe axis?
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by jeftalene(m): 10:53am On May 23, 2017
www.engineerosaz..com is where you find latest prices of all building materials in Nigeria and many more. check it out!
Re: 5 Property Investing Myths That Kill Investors' Future by phoenix480(m): 11:03am On May 23, 2017
The Ibeju Lekki axis has big potentials but I agree that it has been over-marketed as the next Dubai (I am also one of the marketers).

Some areas are solid, some are Swampy. Nevertheless, raft foundation will be needed which is expensive.

Normal economics would assume that due over-supply would drive prices down. Unfortunately this sometimes doesn't work with Real Estate in this country. My forecast is a two-tier pricing structure which Developed Estates will command more price than a "Bush" in that axis.

Yes, I agree that the speculative nature in that axis will slow down development. If external forces like the Government can deliver monumental infrastructure and projects in that axis.

chukzyfcbb:

these are my take tho

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Your POP Ceiling, Wall/deck Screeding, ARK & PILLAR Design / C Of O Land At Queens Court Estate. Shapati Lakowe, 7.5Million Naira Promo Price / Beach Front Court, Beside Lekki Free Zone Complex, Opp. Eko Tourist Center @4m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.