Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé (7785 Views)

The Thorny Path To Italy- A Novel By Akíntayo Akinjide / 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide / Death To Baddos. Death To The Bees By Akíntayo Akínjídé (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 9:43am On May 23, 2017
Dedicated to Everyone who didn't do well in this past Jamb.

It was cosy. Death was cosy. She loved the feeling she was having. At that point, nothing felt sweet any more. Nothing felt bad as well. Everything felt numb. She needed to feel something and that thing must be death. Her body should soon start jerking and her lungs should soon start hurting her due to lack of oxygen. She wasn't even thinking of her Junior in school that just got admission into Babcock University. She could only enjoy the taste of death. The fragrance and coldness it emitted was strong enough to hold her still.

She dangled from the fan as she gave in to the power of the rope. The way the fan rolled her felt like heaven in itself. It took her back to those days in primary school when she went to an amusement park. The rope was strong and held her neck firmly. The plan was mapped out well. She would die the day no one was at home. To die in her room was better than walking on the street with shame.

Just three days ago, she was so sure she would be one of those destined to make it to the University. Her father had insisted that she compromised and just pass this examination.
' You're growing old', he said some months before.
' Yes', her mother said, staring at the wall as if she was reading from the words from it. ' This is your sixth time. Even those you bullied, those in Jss class would have gotten admission by now'.

After many deliberations and analysis, she considered their efforts and succumbed to do their wish. The guy that helped her was an expert, they did it smoothly. However, things went haywire when she saw the result, when her parent learnt she made 178 again.

Her mother didn't talk. Her father was the only one lamenting about how she was suffering, about how she should have gone to learn trading or any other craft.
She adjusted in her seat. ' Me? No. So that my juniors will now see me and call me what?'

That spooked her mother. She sat up like a cobra whose tail had just been crushed. ' You're a crazy. You're a fool. I think the doctors changed my child in the hospital. This irritating slowpoke couldn't have popped out of me'.

' But mummy...'
' Don't you dare mummy me...'
' Darling', her father said as he slumped in the sofa.
' Dear, leave me o. You made her stay in the state. You allowed her do her wishes".
' She's my daughter for crying out loud. Old enough to make decision for herself'.

Her mother fiddled with her neckpiece as she stared at the ground.
' That's just it. This is the height of it. You, Susan have been riddled with bad luck. My pastor said it but I didn't believe. '

Susan was shocked. Even if the world believed she had bad luck, should her own mother also make such pronouncement.

Her father sighed and sat up. ' I told you not to ever bring this up'.
He rolled the newspaper in his hand and rose to leave. Her mother moved to the edge of the sofa and the colour of her face began to change as she got ready to spit venom with her mouth and words and badgers.

' You gave her what she asked. When I told her to go to Mountain of Fire, she said no that she wants to go to Winners. That she would do confession and this and that. Confession be damned. If you can't go to CAC at least you can go to mountain of fire. This is a spiritual matter.'

' CAC my foot'. Susan said as she clambered out of the seat. Whenever her mother started to rant, no one could get the last of it. And the most painful part of it was that she wasn't ready for such useless banters.

' Let her be. She just saw her result. Let her recuperate before you tell to do anything'.

' Hear wretchedness streaming out of your mouth. You're flooding her head with mediocrity. I told you to pay some people to make her enter any school. There are people that pay'.

' Mummy...' Susan said and turned with her arm stretched. Anger spiralled through her vein. ' That's a sin'.

Her mother widened her eyes. ' A sin. You're stupid. You that wears trousers can call something a sin. You better go and see where your mate are making it. Go to the ant thou sluggard. See Vanessa. That fine girl, may God bless her. Ah! I wish I was her mother. She too. She doesn't have her parents that are willing. He who has head doesn't have a cap and vice versa. Didn't you see how she made it to the University'.

' Mummy!' She was so surprised at what her mother was saying. Her mother used to align with her belief. So she saw no reason her mother would suddenly find her actions repulsive.

' It's her belief. You have to...'

Her mother rose and stomped the ground. ' Oh ... Leave me o. You people are bad luck. She took it from your gene.'

Her mother stormed out leaving both of them in shock.

So as death cuddled her breathe and played with it, she knew she had to just give in to it. No one understood her.

Suddenly, the door burst open.
' Susan I've killed him. I've'.

Princess, her best friend, stopped in her track. Susan breathe that was already tuning into the rhythm of her jerking body suddenly began to hyperventilate as she hoped to hasten the death. Her body was beginning to lose consciousness. Susan loved it. Before Princess would have a chance at helping her, she should have given up the ghost.

However, Princess had training in taekwondo. Within ten seconds she had helped her catch her breathe again. Frustrated, Susan hanged on to the rope but two punches from Princess weakened her. She grunted as the pain surged through her body. Her energy depleted.

' Leave me'. She fought hard when Susan had removed the rope from the fan.
They crashed to the ground sending the plastic chair to the other side of the room.

They laid beside themselves for some times and Susan burst into laughter.
' I almost died. Death is sweet.'

Princess, still panting and staring at her, said, ' I've killed him. I've killed my Uncle'.

Susan froze for some seconds, then scrambled off the ground. ' You did what?'

Princess nodded and tears flooded her eyes.
' Did he try to rape you again. I thought he overcame that?'

' Me too. I just saw my result. I sent it to you on WhatsApp. I'm staying home too. I'm staying in that damn house with my aunty.'

' My phone was off'

' Yes. The message didn't get delivered. So, I was still crying when he came again. And I kicked and he was sprawling on the ground. I should have left him. But I didn't. I should have left him there. God!'

' What did you do?'

She sobbed again. ' I killed him. I stabbed him. I rushed to the kitchen, took a knife and stabbed him and it felt good. It felt good. I loved it and I stabbed him some more. If he was Jamb official I would have been more happy.'

' Don't cry.. what do we do?'

' I have to run away. That's the only solution. My Aunt will return tomorrow. I have to run away.'

' Don't... We will find solution. We will.... We will tell them he raped you, that....'

' We can't.'

They stared at the themselves.
' Then, I'll follow you.'

' No. You won't'

' I'll follow you. If I don't go with you, I'll kill myself. I can't live here alone'.

' You will suffer o'

Then, a facebook update entered her phone. Susan checked it and saw Kike's Facebook Update.

' I thank God. See my result. 308 baby.. I'm so going to the University'.

Susan burst into tears and brought the screen to show Princess. She glanced at Susan's face and joined her in weeping.
They hugged each other, sobbing.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 1:54pm On May 23, 2017
Oya come and read o

it's a short story .

oluwatymylehyn, Babsopey, BlissfulJeff, Atayis, rdvubiGoldenprinz, Tife101, wizsolzy, ikombe, Sammyfreshsmooth, Shakyroh320, Missmossy. holufunmie, harunablezin, damis28crown, marvwhite, olatex25 a

Evestar200 Nikkybrainz classysupanova Jummyjagz KlaireKlement mercielizzie AijaiI Sunxylove Janeify owolawitola Omavik ChubbyT MZdamola chibarbie Twaci daintyprincess blueheart
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 23, 2017
Interesting, funny and topical...........good one. More ink to your pen.

1 Like

Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 3:04pm On May 23, 2017
RaggedyAnn:
Interesting, funny and topical...........good one. More ink to your pen.
Thanks. Nice to have you in this thread

1 Like

Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by EvaJael(f): 3:47pm On May 23, 2017
Great one as always from Divepen1. I imagine how painful it is to fail JAMB after so many trials.
Divepen1...u didn't invite me buh issorite. I'm a big fan whether u call me or not #cheers
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by kingphilip(m): 4:01pm On May 23, 2017
since i wasn't invited lemme come and be going
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 4:01pm On May 23, 2017
EvaJael:
Great one as always from Divepen1. I imagine how painful it is to fail JAMB after so many trials.
Divepen1...u didn't invite me buh issorite. I'm a big fan whether u call me or not #cheers
Idobale mi re( accept my prostration)

I'm so sorry. I'm happy you even read and won't mind my big head.

I can't even start imagining o. I wrote from the experience of having to sit for jamb for 3 times ( And na my university get wahala, not jamb oo). I can't forget when a junior student saw me and said ah Senior Akin, you're thin o. I understand o, it's because you're yet to gain admission.

So how will it feel to retry 6 times
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 4:05pm On May 23, 2017
kingphilip:
since i wasn't invited lemme come and be going
Someone cannot play with you again. Oya there's a seat reserved for you at the top oo.. Lunch sef is there.
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by EvaJael(f): 5:02pm On May 23, 2017
Divepen1:
Idobale mi re( accept my prostration)

I'm so sorry. I'm happy you even read and won't mind my big head.

I can't even start imagining o. I wrote from the experience of having to sit for jamb for 3 times ( And na my university get wahala, not jamb oo). I can't forget when a junior student saw me and said ah Senior Akin, you're thin o. I understand o, it's because you're yet to gain admission.

So how will it feel to retry 6 times
Apology accepted. That junior student sha has mind. There are things I can't say to someone o. The experience must be horrible plus all the stress of running up and down in the name of registration. This year's registration was hell on earth.
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by comelyJummy(f): 5:07pm On May 23, 2017
I am not invited here, hope am not a gatecrasher. Nice story
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by daintyprincess(f): 5:14pm On May 23, 2017
lol thanks for the mention
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 5:38pm On May 23, 2017
EvaJael:

Apology accepted. That junior student sha has mind. There are things I can't say to someone o. The experience must be horrible plus all the stress of running up and down in the name of registration. This year's registration was hell on earth.
As in. It was really hard. someone even told me that she taught I was Muslim because it seemed I always recited something under my breathe.
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 5:41pm On May 23, 2017
comelyJummy:
I am not invited here, hope am not a gatecrasher. Nice story
Gatecrasher bi ti boo... welcome .. Will you like Freshly Pressed Non Alcoholic wine or would you love a dirty martini..

Thanks by the way for dropping by and even a comment.
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 5:41pm On May 23, 2017
daintyprincess:
lol thanks for the mention
You're welcome.
And thanks for dropping by..
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Galacious1: 6:42pm On May 23, 2017
Ride on friend.
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by EvaJael(f): 6:54pm On May 23, 2017
Divepen1:
As in. It was really hard. someone even told me that she taught I was Muslim because it seemed I always recite something under my breathe.
Lol...you haff suffer niyen
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by comelyJummy(f): 7:14pm On May 23, 2017
Divepen1:
Gatecrasher bi ti boo... welcome .. Will you like Freshly Pressed Non Alcoholic wine or would you love a dirty martini..

Thanks by the way for dropping by and even a comment.
Thanks sir i will like the first option.
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 7:35pm On May 23, 2017
EvaJael:
Lol...you haff suffer niyen
Lol.. yes oo
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 7:37pm On May 23, 2017
Galacious1:
Ride on friend.
It was short story
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by llaykorn: 7:50pm On May 23, 2017
Divepen1:
It was short story

Fine story you've got here. You forgot the 'k' while spelling taekwondo. cheesy
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 8:02pm On May 23, 2017
llaykorn:

Fine story you've got here. You forgot the 'k' while spelling taekwondo. cheesy
Thanks. It must have been when I was Editting.
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 7:06am On May 24, 2017
Using this medium to show the book cover for one of my next novels.

Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 24, 2017
Nice Story
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 1:39pm On May 24, 2017
Tahrah:
Nice Story
Thanks, Tahrah... I beg what's the meaning of your name..
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 24, 2017
Divepen1:

I Don't Know
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 24, 2017
Divepen1:

i guess tz derived from tarasha
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 24, 2017
boffinjay:
Meanin
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 2:55pm On May 24, 2017
boffinjay:
I was assuming it was Tara like Tara Durotoye ( Tara Orekelewa)
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 2:58pm On May 24, 2017
Tahrah:

I Don't Know
They don't have those rolling of eyes here.

Like seriously?
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by omeira: 5:24pm On May 24, 2017
Nice story, divepen
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by Divepen1(m): 6:49pm On May 24, 2017
omeira:
Nice story, divepen
Thanks Omeira
Re: Jambed Again... ( A Short Story)- Akíntayo Akínjídé by daintyprincess(f): 9:10pm On May 24, 2017
Divepen1:
You're welcome.
And thanks for dropping by..
waiting for the rest tho

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Light And Darkness (new Book From Me To Nairalanders) / An Open Sent-off Letter To 2015 / One Night Stand With A Virgin Chapter 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.