Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,098 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" (13799 Views)

NYSC: How My Baby And I Passed Out In Style (Photos) / NYSC: How To Maximize Your One Year As A 'corper' / Obeying The Clarion Call: What Will Do If This Is The Way To Your PPA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by dammy13(m): 6:46am On May 24, 2017
When The National Youth Service corps kicked off at the turn of the 1970s, the goal was to unify Nigerians in as many ways possible.

With Nigeria just recovering from a devastating Civil War, starting the scheme seemed like the right thing to do. It's make people who would normally not travel to explore places far from home and embrace new cultures.

So yes, the farther-away NYSC throws you away from your state of residency, the closer they are to the original plan. But while the program hasn't evolved much, the way people serve Nigeria has evolved over time.

A few days ago, call-up letters were released for corpers to begin plans to depart for their 3-week orientation program in camp.

Now, something interesting happened. A Whatsapp group and Nairaland Topic was created for every state startef circulating in broadcasts. So you'll see a "Abia NYSC Stream I". For curiosity's sake, I tried to join. That's minus a 2017 NYSC group that has already garnered 25 thousand members.

Then I got hit with the shocker; every group was full. Now, one Whatsapp group can only take just over 250 people. Now, think about it. There are 37 NYSC camps in Nigeria, one per state. And all but a few were full the day I tried to get in.

That's over 9 thousand people already. This number is ignoring the fact that some states have more than one Whatsapp group. I still managed to find my way into many more groups later on though.
Based on Logistics.

Now, in the days leading up to camp opening, the biggest, most recurring question is this;

"How do I get to camp?"

30 years ago, a prospective Corper depended solely on word of mouth from people at motor parks to find their NYSC camps. You'd have to go to the park. Get a bus to the state where your camp is. Then get to the state, completely unsure what to expect, how much it will cost, or even how long the journey will take.

That has changed now. Not only do you know how much it will cost to get to camp, you also know how many hours you'll spend on the road, what the camp looks like.

And transport companies have taken advantage of this.

They provide buses specially to transport Corpers to camp as every batch is getting deployed.

Watching these Corpers make their way to camp, with as much as 500 texts getting exchanged by the hour, it's incredible how much they already know, what to expect, and how ready they are. And of course, the morale.

I mean, who would have known about a survival guide » list even in 2007?

And remember how in camp, you'd never really get the correct size?

Well, who would have thought Whatsapp could fix a government's incompetence?

If your jungle boot is too big, or khakis, you just need to mention it in your Whatsapp group, and so far so good, everyone's been getting sorted in all the 18 Whatsapp groups I currently belong.

Maybe it also makes Camp officials more responsible.

In 2016, a corps member died in camp as a result of poor management » by NYSC camp officials. Following the massive backlash, leading to a probe which indicted the NYSC .

Now, we expect that officials will become more responsible, considering whatever they do will never get under the radar.

But really, has NYSC changed?

I mean, you just need to look at the bicycle allowance corpers still receive for you to know that no one has touched the NYSC template in decades.

It's probably why some people think NYSC should be scrapped.

I'm not one of them. I think besides Olamide and Phyno's alliance, our closest shot at national unity is the National Youth Service Corps.

I just think it needs major reforms. One that doesn't look like it's coming any time soon.

Now, how's the morale?

http://fabinfos.com/nysc-how-the-internet-has-changed-the-way-we-obey-the-clarion-call/

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by dhope001(m): 6:57am On May 24, 2017
Okay
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by dapsoneh: 6:57am On May 24, 2017
Kk

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by kristonium(m): 6:58am On May 24, 2017
I hope it will also change your alawi too?

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by veekid(m): 6:58am On May 24, 2017
Isn't it improvement?

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by donlucabrazi(m): 6:58am On May 24, 2017
Well, you are just stating the obvious. Were you expecting the improvement in technology not to spread to prospective Corp members and how they prepare for camp?

Apart from that, you do not expect them to be naive particularly considering the volatile nature of the Country's SECURITY right now. They really need to have these tips at their disposal to prepare for eventualities, and all social media platforms come in handy

Lastly, the NYSC scheme is obsolete and needs serious reforms. But trust our archaic leaders and politicians, they are more interested in self aggrandizement than providing purposeful leadership.

Do not blame our COPERS for being apprehensive, their future is quite bleak and uncertain....

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by kingsilly(m): 6:59am On May 24, 2017
K
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Antoeni(m): 6:59am On May 24, 2017
Gud old days
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Benjom(m): 6:59am On May 24, 2017
Things would certainly change for the better.

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Larwin(m): 6:59am On May 24, 2017
kiss

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by ObaKlaz: 6:59am On May 24, 2017
'Clarion call' ko, Clarion Chukwura ni!

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Spidermon: 6:59am On May 24, 2017
A few good points

A few...
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by SexyNairalander: 7:00am On May 24, 2017
booked

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Houseofglam7(f): 7:01am On May 24, 2017
That useless thing should be scrapped angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Bonaventura(m): 7:02am On May 24, 2017
The Phyno and Olamide Alliance part really got me.
On a more serious note, NYSC has outlived is original intent and purpose. It needs overhauling.
Why not draw the bulk of Army intake, paramilitary and other from the NYSC camp. Why spend money in conducting these exercises that usually need graduates when you can have It all from the camp at minimal cost.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by abdeiz(m): 7:03am On May 24, 2017
See ehn they don't want to scrap it, do you know how much money they make from it, like hell they woulGood observation on how Corpers are taking advantage of technology to ease their ways to camp and socialize better. Its very hard to be alone in camp as you definitely know someone from somewhere.
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by chimah3(m): 7:03am On May 24, 2017
Cofa!
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by coalcoal1(m): 7:03am On May 24, 2017
cool
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Nobody: 7:04am On May 24, 2017
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by maxiuc(m): 7:04am On May 24, 2017
My father is still rocking my brothers NYSC boot to farm
My own boot will soon arrive for him

More NYSC boots to my father's cupboard

Make dem wait make I finish school first

Nigeria matter is out of hand

Na God go help us by dealing with all our past bad leaders

3 Likes

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by holyfather(m): 7:05am On May 24, 2017
They should shut it down already.
It's long overdue.
The scheme has overstayed its welcome.
It's just a waste of time... and resources.
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by tuoyoojo(m): 7:06am On May 24, 2017
information is power

NYSC has many lapses but I think its worth one's while especially if one takes it seriously
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Histrings08(m): 7:08am On May 24, 2017
Pfft
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by samtee37(m): 7:08am On May 24, 2017
Wetin b my own

Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by Alitair(m): 7:15am On May 24, 2017
The only change am hoping for has not happened yet! When it does i will let you know.
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by waledeji(m): 7:17am On May 24, 2017
samtee37:
Wetin b my own
Histrings08:
Pfft
coalcoal1:
cool
daredreman:
K.
CROWNWEALTH019:

No lie, you go school grin ?

See them.... no reasonable comments from them because the thread is not about shouting Afonjas and Igbos cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: NYSC: How The Internet Has Changed The Way We "Obey The Clarion Call" by colbankz(m): 7:21am On May 24, 2017
maxiuc:
My father is still rocking my brothers NYSC boot to farm
My own boot will soon arrive for him

More NYSC boots to my father's cupboard

Make dem wait make I finish school first

Nigeria matter is out of hand

Na God go help us by dealing with all our past bad leaders
u dae vex oooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Those Without JAMB Reg Number Are No Longer Eligible For NYSC / NYSC Orientation Camp Questions & Answers By Pcms / NYSC Batch B, Corpers Passing Out Today - Congratulations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.