Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair (1779 Views)

Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others / "Buhari's 2-Day Visit To Lagos A Slap On Nigerian Christians" - Catholic Bishop / Sam Omatseye: "Nigerian Christians Should Arm Themselves Against Attacks" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 24, 2017
Open a church in Nigeria and you can be sure to have at least 10 members in the first month and depending on how you market yourself and package your message, this number could quadruple over a few months.

There is something Nigerians are looking for especially the women but I am not sure what it is. They will enter any building on Sunday even if it is a shack, to listen to their favorite self-appointed man of 'god' preach on a topic that tickles their ears and at the end of the so-called service empty their pockets into the church's coffers, with no thought for how the money will be spent.

Nigerians like church, it is a tradition that does not necessarily have anything to do with reverence for God or righteousness. Some people spend hours getting ready for church to display their latest attire, others go to 'wash' that new car and still others go to give testimony about that prospering business or new husband or promotion. A great majority go to church to ask for help in the war against witches, wizards, elves, fairies, demons, devils, wicked men and women and Satan himself. They will scream all day and all night while the pastor urges them on, often daydreaming on how much money he will get from the sheeple or how many of the girls he will sleep with.

These Nigerian sheeple will curse and fight or even wish death on anyone who dares to challenge their man of God, to them he is God on earth, an infallible pope, their mentor, husband and lord of lords. In fact, their emphasis is always on how God is doing great things for their man of God, on how their church is growing - nothing about their impoverished communities and the plight of millions.

In the midst of dire and great need, these men of God spend millions upon millions of ill-gotten tithe money on frivolities like Jets, entertainment, new cars and opulent houses, not to talk of rock star type of living. And my people starve, borrow, die in penury, want and stress, while these their favorite pastors live in total luxury and comfort.

Why are Nigerians so terribly gullible, why can't they stop this madness and leave these churches completely and focus on the things that really matters such as;
- Living a godly life by emulating the lifestyle of Christ
- Helping real people with real needs

It's a case of huge despair, I don't know how we can fix this problem ??

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by eezeribe(m): 1:28pm On May 24, 2017
Nigerians are naturally gullible,it has nothing to do with religion.
After All,APC sold an impossible propaganda to the Masses and they bought it.

6 Likes

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by spartan117(m): 1:39pm On May 24, 2017
barely worth reading undecided
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 24, 2017
Lol
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by felixomor: 2:14pm On May 24, 2017
frosbel2:
Open a church in Nigeria and you can be sure to have at least 10 members in the first month and depending on how you market yourself and package your message, this number could quadruple over a few months.

There is something Nigerians are looking for especially the women but I am not sure what it is. They will enter any building on Sunday even if it is a shack, to listen to their favorite self-appointed man of 'god' preach on a topic that tickles their ears and at the end of the so-called service empty their pockets into the church's coffers, with no thought for how the money will be spent.

Nigerians like church, it is a tradition that does not necessarily have anything to do with reverence for God or righteousness. Some people spend hours getting ready for church to display their latest attire, others go to 'wash' that new car and still others go to give testimony about that prospering business or new husband or promotion. A great majority go to church to ask for help in the war against witches, wizards, elves, fairies, demons, devils, wicked men and women and Satan himself. They will scream all day and all night while the pastor urges them on, often daydreaming on how much money he will get from the sheeple or how many of the girls he will sleep with.

These Nigerian sheeple will curse and fight or even wish death on anyone who dares to challenge their man of God, to them he is God on earth, an infallible pope, their mentor, husband and lord of lords. In fact, their emphasis is always on how God is doing great things for their man of God, on how their church is growing - nothing about their impoverished communities and the plight of millions.

In the midst of dire and great need, these men of God spend millions upon millions of ill-gotten tithe money on frivolities like Jets, entertainment, new cars and opulent houses, not to talk of rock star type of living. And my people starve, borrow, die in penury, want and stress, while these their favorite pastors live in total luxury and comfort.

Why are Nigerians so terribly gullible, why can't they stop this madness and leave these churches completely and focus on the things that really matters such as;

@OP, is it only Nigeria that has gullible people as christians or church goers?
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 24, 2017
felixomor:

@OP, is it only Nigeria that has gullible people as christians or church goers?

Nope, but Nigeria comes first for having the most gullible people who believe and follow thieves parading as men of God.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by felixomor: 2:27pm On May 24, 2017
frosbel2:

Nope, but Nigeria comes first for having the most gullible people who believe and follow thieves parading as men of God.

Please where is the research or study u conducted?
To back this claim
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by OtemAtum: 2:30pm On May 24, 2017
frosbel2:

Cc: Analice107
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 24, 2017
felixomor:

To back this claim

Look out of your window or take a walk down the street you will see at least 10 churches and 10 crooks called pastors - grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by felixomor: 2:33pm On May 24, 2017
frosbel2:

Look out of your window or take a walk down the street you will see at least 10 churches and 10 crooks called pastors - grin

Sorry I cant see them.! undecided
Dont tell me u had to tell a lie
Are u a Christian?
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Pastafarian: 4:04pm On May 24, 2017
frosbel2:

grin

2 Likes

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by missrational: 4:33pm On May 24, 2017
felixomor:

To back this claim

Most of the richest pastors in the world are Nigerian pastors
https://www.wealthresult.com/entrepreneurship/top-10-richest-pastors-in-world
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 24, 2017
There's just no way you can paint Christianity in Nigeria with one long stroke though brother.

You mean to tell me that out of all the hundreds of thousands of churches in Nigeria, one can't find at least 50-100 churches that try to follow God's Word (in an honest & simplistic manner)....without all of the pomp and glory undecided

It would be like me judging Nigeria based on the lovely folks on NL.
Sure there are some mean, judgemental, callous, rude and irritating folks on here.
Sometimes I don't even believe they're real.
But I told myself that those types of people couldn't be the "only" people on here...I just have to keep searching.
Though I can only count the kind people I've met on "1" hand so far, it's still good enough for me not to base my perception of Nigeria on what "a whole lot of folks" do & say on here.

But of course, you have the right to believe how you so desire.
You don't have to always throw out the baby with the bath water though....
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by jonbellion(m): 6:06pm On May 24, 2017
missrational:

lol
cheesy
Pastorpreneurs cheesy
That's why every Tom dick and harry want to become pastors in Nigeria because it is the place gullibility and myopic thinking is celebrated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by jonbellion(m): 6:13pm On May 24, 2017
Most Nigerian Christians like magic tricks miracles
So the pastors prey on this mindset and give them what they want and in return the give the pastors what they also want. Their hard earned cash
we don't have any reputable scientific research centres but we have mega churches in every state
Nigeria is a failed country honestly

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 24, 2017
It is all about choice. If a grown adult decides to pay tithe to a "man of God" despite common sense and reason given to him by the creator then It's none of my business.

The only thing that bothers me is what they preach in some of these churches. I am really concerned because it hinders our development as a nation. Organized religion needs to go or be reformed to conform to modern day philosophy.

1 Like

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:23pm On May 24, 2017
The manner in which they defend these men as if they were there when God anointed them.

4 Likes

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Kondomatic(m): 8:41pm On May 24, 2017
I find it really funny when people who campaign and vote for APC and PDP accuse Christians of being gullible.
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by felixomor: 10:28pm On May 24, 2017
missrational:

Sorry, i didnt ask for statistics of richest pastors.
Do u know what is a red herring fallacy?
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by RosaConsidine: 1:02am On May 25, 2017
MZLady39:
There's just no way you can paint Christianity in Nigeria with one long stroke though brother.

You mean to tell me that out of all the hundreds of thousands of churches in Nigeria, one can't find at least 50-100 churches that try to follow God's Word (in an honest & simplistic manner)....without all of the pomp and glory undecided

It would be like me judging Nigeria based on the lovely folks on NL.
Sure there are some mean, judgemental, callous, rude and irritating folks on here.
Sometimes I don't even believe they're real.
But I told myself that those types of people couldn't be the "only" people on here...I just have to keep searching.
Though I can only count the kind people I've met on "1" hand so far, it's still good enough for me not to base my perception of Nigeria on what "a whole lot of folks" do & say on here.

But of course, you have the right to believe how you so desire.
You don't have to always throw out the baby with the bath water though....

The problem though is not with the pastors. Starve a plant of nutrients and it dies. Starve a fraudulent pastor of congregation or funds and he'll close up shop. The problem is with the congregation who personally don't even try to have some sort of personal communion with God or basic understanding of how the physical world works. They don't want to think for themselves. Sometimes, I even think those self acclaimed men of god deserve the money they get from their congregation as just payment for thinking for them. Churches keep springing up everywhere and few seem to wonder why lots of pastors aren't encouraging people to pastor themselves. Most people's Bibles are just accessories - one of those things to show the world that they're "good people". So long as God wants to interact with every human then it follows that he is accessible to every human.

I won't lie, the Nigerian sion of religious piety is baffling.
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 1:39am On May 25, 2017
RosaConsidine:

The problem though is not with the pastors. Starve a plant of nutrients and it dies. Starve a fraudulent pastor of congregation or funds and he'll close up shop. The problem is with the congregation who personally don't even try to have some sort of personal communion with God or basic understanding of how the physical world works. They don't want to think for themselves. Sometimes, I even think those self acclaimed men of god deserve the money they get from their congregation as just payment for thinking for them. Churches keep springing up everywhere and few seem to wonder why lots of pastors aren't encouraging people to pastor themselves. Most people's Bibles are just accessories - one of those things to show the world that they're "good people". So long as God wants to interact with every human then it follows that he is accessible to every human.

I do agree that people need to take responsibility for choices that they make.
People have a tendency to "worship" people instead of God. Especially people with titles....
People crave things that they want to believe "men/women in high positions" can provide.
Men in positions of authority, however do have a solemn responsibility not to mislead or deceive their congregations.
I just know that "all" Nigerian pastors cannot be corrupt....exploiting people and craving worship.
Probably a disproportinate number of "corrupt" pastors....but in the mix are some sincere pastors.
God always has a remnant of people striving to do the right thing....even if it's sometimes in ignorance.
There are issues in the U.S. also....but there are some honest hearted congregations and pastors.
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Wilgrea7(m): 5:34am On May 25, 2017
frosbel is back smiley
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by OtemAtum: 10:10am On May 25, 2017
RosaConsidine:

I love this. If people can go to church and pay neither tithes nor offering, churches would be offered for sale for better purposes like medical centre, football viewing centres, cinema houses, education centres, etc. I'm happy for some christians like Wilgrea7 who don't pay tithes. If every Christian in the world is like him, churches would be few in Nigeria. I'll start attending church again sef, to watch the gullibility of our nation and write the things I see in the churches for people to read.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Niflheim(m): 12:00pm On May 25, 2017
@frosbel2,

They are so gullible, that they role in "faeces infested mud" like pigs in the swine factory!!!

CAN YOU SPOT THE DIFFERENCE?!!!

1 Like

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Pastafarian: 12:21pm On May 25, 2017
Niflheim:
@frosbel2,

They are so gullible, that they role in "faeces infested mud" like pigs in the swine factory!!!

CAN YOU SPOT THE DIFFERENCE?!!!

one is wearing a chosen apron while the others are naked

they're all pigs though

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by oaroloye(m): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2017
SHALOM!

frosbel2:

WHAT! Only TEN?

This is a cynical assessment.

Nigerians did not invent Church.

You talk like a person who knows other countries, where people are different, but really diesn,t, and is merely bluffing

So what exactly is the problem?

In the midst of dire and great need, these men of God spend millions upon millions of ill-gotten tithe money on frivolities like Jets, entertainment, new cars and opulent houses, not to talk of rock star type of living.

THE LORD SAID THAT "THE WORKMAN IS WORTHY OF HIS HIRE!"

How dare you be angry because these men received money for SERVICES RENDERED.

How DARE you call that money "ILL-GOTTEN!"

HOW DARE YOU EXALT YOURSELF OVER THE PEOPLE WHO WILLINGLY PAY THEIR TITHES AND OFFERINGS!

And my people starve, borrow, die in penury, want and stress, while these their favorite pastors live in total luxury and comfort.

ARE THESE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT THEIR PASTORS JETS, ENTERTAINMENTS, NEW CARS, AND OPULENT HOUSES WITH 10% OF THEIR SUBSTANCE?

What did they DO with the OTHER 90%?

If you are talking about the people who die in "PENURY, WANT, AND STRESS"- us that not GOOD FOR THEM?

They PREFER to DIE rather than SERVE THEIR PEOPLE, as the Rich Pastors do!

Let them have at, then!

If you want a million Dollars, DO $1 million worth of WORK.

THESE people do do THAT MUCH WORK: their parishioners SAID SO.

DON'T YOUKNOW THAT ALL THIS ENVY WILL GIVE YOU ULCERS?

No wonder you are suffering from PENURY, WANT, and STRESS!

Since you know how to run a Church BETTER than those SUPOSEDLY CORRUPT Pastors, WHY DON'T YOU DO IT, instead of flapping your mouth in stupid frustration?

Isn't it because YOU DON'T REALLY CARE about "YOUR PEOPLE," but merely HATE RICH PROTESTANT PASTORS, and want to STOP THE FLOW of REVENUE to them.

You are an UNDERCOVER ROMAN CATHOLIC, are you not?
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 12, 2017
^^^^

Typical con man parading as a man of God, your judgment does not linger !!
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by plappville(f): 2:11pm On Jul 12, 2017
frosbel2:

True talk. I am fed up seeing christians advertising their Pastor and His wife on their whatsapp DP and FB pages. They dont even try to tell you what they feel about God. Its always " My pastor said this" "my pastor said that".

The most popular ones on FB are Oyedepo, TB Joshua, Adeboye, and Oyakhilome. You dare not question their sermon. They are perfect in everything according to their members . The truth is, these pastors are not the problem just like someone said above.

The members are. They are so weak minded that they accept everything without consulting God by themselves. They have made their pastors Mediators. Pathetic!

2 Likes

Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by TheNazarene: 2:21pm On Jul 12, 2017
Gullible Christians are those who don't read the Bible and seek God's face everyday.

But I wonder can someone who doesn't even read the Bible everyday call himself or herself a genuine Christian?
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2017
TheNazarene:
Gullible Christians are those who don't read the Bible and seek God's face everyday.

But I wonder can someone who doesn't even read the Bible everyday call himself or herself a genuine Christian?

When you read the bible do you ask God for wisdom to understand or do you follow your man of god's interpretation in the form of doctrine?

Are you always ready to reject false teaching, even from your so called man of god , if God himself were to give you a different interpretation of scripture that is opposed to what you have learned in church?
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by TheNazarene: 3:50pm On Jul 12, 2017
frosbel2:

When you read the bible do you ask God for wisdom to understand or do you follow your man of god's interpretation in the form of doctrine?

Are you always ready to reject false teaching, even from your so called man of god , if God himself were to give you a different interpretation of scripture that is opposed to what you have learned in church?

Why do you think it is said that you should read the Bible again and again and again? Because there can be so much revelation from a verse.

Even concerning worldly knowledge, it is said that a man cannot be an island, is it then in Christendom that you have all intepretation of God's Word?

The only reason I will reject an intepretation of the Word of God is when it contradicts the Word of God.
God giving you a different intepretation is different from God saying the other intepretation was false, get your arguments straight!

And by the way who is your 'man of God'?
Because me no get.

And ofcourse I ask God for wisdom and understanding when reading not only His Word but also my books.

Shey if you are reading your Bible everyday your man of God will give you intepretation everyday? Unnecessary question in the first place. angry
Re: Gullibility Of Nigerian Christians - A Case Of Despair by frubben(m): 4:17pm On Jul 12, 2017
OtemAtum:

I love this. If people can go to church and pay neither tithes nor offering, churches would be offered for sale for better purposes like medical centre, football viewing centres, cinema houses, education centres, etc. I'm happy for some christians like Wilgrea7 who don't pay tithes. If every Christian in the world is like him, churches would be few in Nigeria. I'll start attending church again sef, to watch the gullibility of our nation and write the things I see in the churches for people to read.
hahhahahah abi ooo. If we stop payingg tithe and offering, addeboye andd ko will start looking for job.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ozubulu Killing:Bishop Buries His Father In Grand Style.See Reactions(pics) / Humans Killed Humans Before God The Creator Of Humans Ever Did. / What Evidence Is Needed For Atheists To Believe God Exist? See Answer Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.