Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths (963 Views)

Agency Banking Business For Youths / The Death Camp Called NYSC Orientation Camp / Cheap Data For Youths, Students And Businesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths by munex007(m): 9:52am On May 25, 2017
I've been trying to understand why young Nigerians are excited about NYSC. I just don't understand it. I mean, if someone is busy, really busy in his life, he will frown at gallivanting in some obscure uniform for one year - wasting a whole year that should have been dedicated to productivity. But, trust those who are posting their pictures in that prison uniform, they will say, You are just a hater.

I don't hate you. I don't understand you. I am very worried that you are leaning on the rails of convention. Arguably, once someone deviates from the "Go to School – Get a Job – Get a Family" model, he is seen as a delusional fool who is certain to fail and is discouraged at every turn. But the truth is that we know our parents are great liars - they have failed and so, they subconsciously don't want us to be better than them. That is why they always say, Get a degree, get a job and then, do a Master's, and when you do a Master's and you're useless again like most Master's holders in the country, they nudge you on to get a PhD. You become fully useless and stupid.

Who wants a PhD holder in a structure less society?

But the NYSC thing our parents don't realise it has no redeeming quality, but they persuade us to do it because Nkolika and Musa and Bisola have done it. Oh, can't you see that Ade is serving? If you don't serve, you won't get a job.

Fucking lies! What job? They finish and there is no job because there is no one in his right sense that would be creating jobs for you to take. So, we end up having a world full of capitalist slaves. People who are enslaved on the premise that they are being made responsible.

The world has moved on from your NYSC..Since you have one unproductive year to rigamarole and wear prison uniform.

There are three types of people, those who have failed to master society’s formula for success, those who successfully replicated (copied) this formula, and then there are the trend setters, the innovators. These are the people that have taken the formula of the generation, learnt from it and improved on it.

The old formula was to study hard, get good grades and a degree, get a good job, work hard and earn your promotion to top management. These days, with everyone studying hard and getting good grades, and higher degrees, people have to find a new means to be exceptional. Some are spending decades and countless Naira pursuing post-post-post doctorate degrees. They spend most of their life preparing for life!.

The workforce has changed too; nepotism, tribalism and other forms of preferential treatments are more prevalent and this makes promotion next to impossible for many people. Companies are also promoting people without the pay to match the name, so you find professionals or Ph.D. holders with fancy job titles struggling to pay basic bills...A lot of companies are owing their employees months salary..The ones being paid have nothing to show after deducing their monthly expenses

The joy of every graduate is to get job within a short period of time after university education, but with this list i don't think there is any joy in graduating from Nigeria Universities, except if you have a job waiting for you, or you graduate from Nigeria Defense Academy(NDA) that have
automatic job.

The Nigerian economy today is in a tailspin. What used to work has simply stopped working. The economic rules have changed but we seem to be playing by the old rules of the game. Crude isn’t our biggest resource as a nation and even if diamond strewn the entire landscape of Nigeria, it still will not be our most valued resource. Our most valuable resource is our mind and we need to start changing our mindset from dogmas set by society.

It is time to defy the odds. To refuse to accept the status quo. To think differently and be different. To decipher abundant opportunities even in immense potential in such a great nation as ours. It is about lifelong learning. It is about building formidable network..

Considering the high level of expectancy ratio of we Nigerians especially students. Blue collar jobs are what we all popularly call Entrepreneurship while the white collar jobs are the opposite,obviously the relationship that exist between them categorically is just one being the giver while the other the receiver or taker. The problem I have detected so far is our life style,Lack of motivational forces to propel us to want to leave where we are today to the promise of better tomorrow, No body wanting to starve his/herself today for a better consumption tomorrow,The fear to do something new,procrastination, bluffs ,students going after attraction neglecting the aftermath of Their action to be distraction and finally rejection.E.t.c let us always live to remember that we’all wil get a Fraction of any sort of friction we cause ourselves or others. Start something today no matter how small it is,Save money so that you can save yourself your Tomorrow, Don’t wait for the government to provide jobs and the fundamental human needs cos you are the govt of your destiny..

Unfortunately most of us can't change this situation.. I will advice you to make the very best of your time during service. Get a skill, Get relevant certification, Read many self developments books, work on your interpersonal skills

I will leave you with this powerful quote from Steve Jobs:

“Your time is limited so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

Remembering you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There’s no reason not to follow your heart.” - Steve Jobs

Think deep.. Change your mindset

Ibn Nasr

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths by eezeribe(m): 10:15am On May 25, 2017
The scheme has outlived its usefulness.in a recent online poll,58% of the respondents voted for it to be scrapped.
Most of the youths who crave for it,are more interested in wearing the uniform for one year and keeping up with the joneses,they are just part of the bandwagon.
Most of the participants,would only realise that it was a fruitless venture after they pass out and enter the labour market

1 Like

Re: The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths by munex007(m): 12:01pm On May 25, 2017
Very true brother.. Most that have passed through it still regret the wasted time.

quote author=eezeribe post=56858181]The scheme has outlived its usefulness.in a recent online poll,58% of the respondents voted for it to be scrapped.
Most of the youths who crave for it,are more interested in wearing the uniform for one year and keeping up with the joneses,they are just part of the bandwagon.
Most of the participants,would only realise that it was a fruitless venture after they pass out and enter the labour market [/quote]
Re: The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths by kuchikau1: 1:52pm On May 25, 2017
People will not comment on ur post because it doesnt encourage wat their whole life depends on. Come to facebook and see how boys and girl crave to answer 'a corp member' with pictures campaign. Wen u try to advice dem, they call u names. Am a serving corp member but d scheme is total nonsense.

1 Like

Re: The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths by Doyin400l(m): 2:36pm On May 25, 2017
munex007:
I've been trying to understand why young Nigerians are excited about NYSC. I just don't understand it. I mean, if someone is busy, really busy in his life, he will frown at gallivanting in some obscure uniform for one year - wasting a whole year that should have been dedicated to productivity. But, trust those who are posting their pictures in that prison uniform, they will say, You are just a hater.

I don't hate you. I don't understand you. I am very worried that you are leaning on the rails of convention. Arguably, once someone deviates from the "Go to School – Get a Job – Get a Family" model, he is seen as a delusional fool who is certain to fail and is discouraged at every turn. But the truth is that we know our parents are great liars - they have failed and so, they subconsciously don't want us to be better than them. That is why they always say, Get a degree, get a job and then, do a Master's, and when you do a Master's and you're useless again like most Master's holders in the country, they nudge you on to get a PhD. You become fully useless and stupid.

But the NYSC thing our parents don't realise it has no redeeming quality, but they persuade us to do it because Nkolika and Musa and Bisola have done it. Oh, can't you see that Ade is serving? If you don't serve, you won't get a job.

Fucking lies! What job? They finish and there is no job because there is no one in his right sense that would be creating jobs for you to take. So, we end up having a world full of capitalist slaves. People who are enslaved on the premise that they are being made responsible.

The world has moved on from your NYSC..Since you have one unproductive year to rigamarole and wear prison uniform.

There are three types of people, those who have failed to master society’s formula for success, those who successfully replicated (copied) this formula, and then there are the trend setters, the innovators. These are the people that have taken the formula of the generation, learnt from it and improved on it.

The old formula was to study hard, get good grades and a degree, get a good job, work hard and earn your promotion to top management. These days, with everyone studying hard and getting good grades, and higher degrees, people have to find a new means to be exceptional. Some are spending decades and countless Naira pursuing post-post-post doctorate degrees. They spend most of their life preparing for life!.

The workforce has changed too; nepotism, tribalism and other forms of preferential treatments are more prevalent and this makes promotion next to impossible for many people. Companies are also promoting people without the pay to match the name, so you find professionals or Ph.D. holders with fancy job titles struggling to pay basic bills...A lot of companies are owing their employees months salary..The ones being paid have nothing to show after deducing their monthly expenses

The joy of every graduate is to get job within a short period of time after university education, but with this list i don't think there is any joy in graduating from Nigeria Universities, except if you have a job waiting for you, or you graduate from Nigeria Defense Academy(NDA) that have
automatic job.

The Nigerian economy today is in a tailspin. What used to work has simply stopped working. The economic rules have changed but we seem to be playing by the old rules of the game. Crude isn’t our biggest resource as a nation and even if diamond strewn the entire landscape of Nigeria, it still will not be our most valued resource. Our most valuable resource is our mind and we need to start changing our mindset from dogmas set by society.

It is time to defy the odds. To refuse to accept the status quo. To think differently and be different. To decipher abundant opportunities even in immense potential in such a great nation as ours. It is about lifelong learning. It is about building formidable network..

Considering the high level of expectancy ratio of we Nigerians especially students. Blue collar jobs are what we all popularly call Entrepreneurship while the white collar jobs are the opposite,obviously the relationship that exist between them categorically is just one being the giver while the other the receiver or taker. The problem I have detected so far is our life style,Lack of motivational forces to propel us to want to leave where we are today to the promise of better tomorrow, No body wanting to starve his/herself today for a better consumption tomorrow,The fear to do something new,procrastination, bluffs ,students going after attraction neglecting the aftermath of Their action to be distraction and finally rejection.E.t.c let us always live to remember that we’all wil get a Fraction of any sort of friction we cause ourselves or others. Start something today no matter how small it is,Save money so that you can save yourself your Tomorrow, Don’t wait for the government to provide jobs and the fundamental human needs cos you are the govt of your destiny..

Unfortunately most of us can't change this situation.. I will advice you to make the very best of your time during service. Get a skill, Get relevant certification, Read many self developments books, work on your interpersonal skills

“Your time is limited so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

Remembering you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There’s no reason not to follow your heart.” - Steve Jobs

Ibn Nasr

we have hear it
Re: The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths by Gidson05(m): 3:25pm On May 25, 2017
I luv this, wasted time n effort, always end up fraustrated without idea, d fruitless year wil sap all ur dreams in ur university days n turn u into a complete clueless job hunter ready to settle for watever life brings

1 Like

Re: The Distraction Called Nysc: An Urgent Re-think For Youths by omeira: 10:16pm On May 26, 2017
munex007:

automatic job.

Ibn Nasr

This is it. Thanks a whole lot for this piece brother. It's good to know someone out there shares similar views with you.
And yes, happy Ramadan. May Allah ease our affairs, accept our siyam and forgive our sins. Take care.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

... / Has Nysc Outlived Its Purpose ? / Which State Pays Corpers Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.