Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers (25995 Views)

COVID-19: Emirates Steps Up Safety Measures For Customers And Employees(Pics) / Chocotravel Uses Nude Flight Attendants In Ad Campaign (Video) / Abuja Nightclubs Where Strippers, Prostitutes Go Berserk For Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 10:31am On May 26, 2017
Lexusgs430:
Hotel food is usually over priced. I would tell you what I do.
I get to the hotel, take a shower and then a slight stroll to the main street, find posh buka and chop. On my way to the hotel, I stop at an eatery and buy night time snacks.... I sometimes stock my fridge with drinks purchased off site (depending on how long I intend to stay).........
At certain times, I indulge myself at the bar (man cannot live by juice alone)........

This is exactly what I do. Can't be wasting money that i don't have.

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Blessedrinno: 10:32am On May 26, 2017
is possible that there is a new price list,, her mistake could be that she did not inform you befor serving
i understand this cause am in hospitality industries too..thu sometimes staff play games...but new price list is very common
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Klington: 10:34am On May 26, 2017
happney65:
Nigeria..We are all thieves in this Country..Me and you..QED..Next topic please
agreed........ Every nigerian is a crimina.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by bukason: 10:36am On May 26, 2017
As much as i would like to ignore them sometimes, it bothers me on why someone will out-rightly want to shortchange people on already listed price. Those quiet thieves do them with a straight face as if its their right.

I met one the other day, this time it wasn't in a hotel but in one of our big shopping malls. Those girls/cashiers at the payment port during check out can swindle you without you noticing. The total value for the items i bought was #4040, i gave her #5000 and she keyed in #4500, and gave me #900 as balance when the cash drawer opened. I was like what is this one doing.

I said babe abeg when you finish whatever you think you are doing, don't forget to balance up, i can tip you when i feel like but not this time. it will definitely not work when you try to play a fast one on me. She looked at me as if i took away the food she was about to eat, opened the drawer during the next customer checkout and balanced me.

Imagine her doing the same thing to 100 customers in one day and not forgetting the wrong amount she always inputs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 10:40am On May 26, 2017
otokx:

Sad truth, the way Nigerians try to extort money from those that are meant to be their customers is alarming, it is every where you go - a culture that is so entrenched then they turn hand and point at other people.

You're right.

Petrol stations and pump attendants are big thieves as well.

People in this country are terrible.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by kennykendo(m): 10:46am On May 26, 2017
mascot87:
I will be very brief and I am sure we all can learn one or two things from this. I hope also that I construct this well.

I do travel out of my location here in Lagos very well to other part of the country and it's normal that I get an hotel to lodge.
On arrival to an affordable hotel, I pay for the hotel room and check in. Take my bath and relax a bit then I check the hotel menu list for breakfast, lunch or dinner as the case may be.

I do observe something for the past two years but didn't really take it serious not until when I travelled to Aba and Port Harcourt around March this year and same thing repeats itself.

After checking the menu list and the price of the food u want to eat. You call the restaurant and place your order but as soon as your order was delivered, the price is always more than what is on the menu list. Sometimes it could be has high as a thousand Naira.

I do pay all the time and didn't read any meaning to it but when I was at Aba around March, I protested when the same thing repeats itself and I said to myself that if such repeat itself anytime I travel and lodge in any hotel, I will only pay the charge as indicated on the menu list.
Fast forward to today, I travelled to Abuja and as usual lodged at an hotel in town.
Now this evening I ordered for my dinner at a fixed price on the menu list only for the price of my order to be far above what was written in the menu list. I told the lady that brought my dinner that I will only pay the cost of the dish in the menu list but she insisted that I will pay at #500 more than I was expected to pay giving me excuses that the price on the menu list was the old price.

I request to see the manager and within a second, she disappeared but I still went ahead to see the hotel manager but on my way, I met one of the hotel attendants who was listening to my argument with the lady and he told me that I shouldn't go to the manager cos there is nothing the manager can do and that they are working on the new price list but I ignored him. When I got to the hotel manager, i told him what happened and why customers cannot pay the exact cost of dish in the menu list but have to pay far more. He was suprised cos I saw the shock on his face. He sent for d lady that do serve dish for customer but not to expose her in my presence, he told me to go and I should pay the exact price on the menu list when she comes around to collect money.

When the lady later came around to collect the money, I saw the anger on her face which confirms my suspicion that those people generate income for themselves through such disgraceful means and it as become a common trend in some hotels (I don't want to generalize).

Don't know who else have noticed such but next time you lodge in an hotel and observe such, insist on paying the exact cost as seen on the menu price list.

I love honest people and sometimes give extra tips to them of some few cash even after rendering services to me but trying to play a fast one is a no no for me.

Let us be observant.

I think lalasticlala can also read this and add to his knowledge of snake grin grin grin

Sometime ago I traveled to Owerri for a meeting and had to lodge for 4days so I initially paid for 3 days and told the attendant that I'd renew my accommodation tomorrow because the raw cash I had on me was for something else.

As you know, different people observe different shifts. So I met another attendant who charged me an extra one thousand naira when I went to renew my accommodation on the excuse that the person who lodged me in the night was a new employee that didn't know everything as it should. Looking at her eyeball to eyeball and from the creak in her voice, I knew she was lying. I gave her the money and left.

Somehow I met the manager as he was leaving on the day I was checking out and laid my complaint. He acknowledged and left. I got to my destination and I got a call from the manager apologizing for the misconduct.

A month later I traveled again to Owerri for something else, went to the same hotel but the lady who overcharged me wasn't the one at the reception this time. But as I had paid, got into my room, had my bath and was about going out for a stroll, I met her coming out of a room with a guy and she was having a horrible smell of sex all over. She saw me and asked you are Kenneth right and I confirmed, I now saw the bitterness in her eyes despite her messed up and drunk state.

So since then, instead of going as per the price list, I ask for a discount. grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by DisGuy: 10:46am On May 26, 2017
My experience was mainly with the room charge itself.
I was at the abuja airport searching for hotels online. saw one for 15k on getting there the reception said its 25k per night, when i told him that the price i saw online he called another guy who looked perperlexed, even asking me what website erm your website. As usual they gave me the whole "it has not been updated talk" and made other excuses. I walked out to the next street to get another decent hotel.

At the new hotel they pretty much stuck to the food prices except one waiter tried to extort me after the 4th day sayinf the price is different because its room service...not minding the fact I've been ordering the same lunch for a few days.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Tjayjosh(m): 10:49am On May 26, 2017
mascot87:
I will be very brief and I am sure we all can learn one or two things from this. I hope also that I construct this well.

I do travel out of my location here in Lagos very well to other part of the country and it's normal that I get an hotel to lodge.
On arrival to an affordable hotel, I pay for the hotel room and check in. Take my bath and relax a bit then I check the hotel menu list for breakfast, lunch or dinner as the case may be.

I do observe something for the past two years but didn't really take it serious not until when I travelled to Aba and Port Harcourt around March this year and same thing repeats itself.

After checking the menu list and the price of the food u want to eat. You call the restaurant and place your order but as soon as your order was delivered, the price is always more than what is on the menu list. Sometimes it could be has high as a thousand Naira.

I do pay all the time and didn't read any meaning to it but when I was at Aba around March, I protested when the same thing repeats itself and I said to myself that if such repeat itself anytime I travel and lodge in any hotel, I will only pay the charge as indicated on the menu list.
Fast forward to today, I travelled to Abuja and as usual lodged at an hotel in town.
Now this evening I ordered for my dinner at a fixed price on the menu list only for the price of my order to be far above what was written in the menu list. I told the lady that brought my dinner that I will only pay the cost of the dish in the menu list but she insisted that I will pay at #500 more than I was expected to pay giving me excuses that the price on the menu list was the old price.

I request to see the manager and within a second, she disappeared but I still went ahead to see the hotel manager but on my way, I met one of the hotel attendants who was listening to my argument with the lady and he told me that I shouldn't go to the manager cos there is nothing the manager can do and that they are working on the new price list but I ignored him. When I got to the hotel manager, i told him what happened and why customers cannot pay the exact cost of dish in the menu list but have to pay far more. He was suprised cos I saw the shock on his face. He sent for d lady that do serve dish for customer but not to expose her in my presence, he told me to go and I should pay the exact price on the menu list when she comes around to collect money.

When the lady later came around to collect the money, I saw the anger on her face which confirms my suspicion that those people generate income for themselves through such disgraceful means and it as become a common trend in some hotels (I don't want to generalize).

Don't know who else have noticed such but next time you lodge in an hotel and observe such, insist on paying the exact cost as seen on the menu price list.

I love honest people and sometimes give extra tips to them of some few cash even after rendering services to me but trying to play a fast one is a no no for me.

Let us be observant.

I think lalasticlala can also read this and add to his knowledge of snake grin grin grin

Bros it's not a scam, it is called service charge.

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by ALAYORMII: 10:52am On May 26, 2017
otokx:

Sad truth, the way Nigerians try to extort money from those that are meant to be their customers is alarming, it is every where you go - a culture that is so entrenched then they turn hand and point at other people.

That's the way Nigeria is set up

From the government trying to extort the masses

To

Banks extorting their customers

To

Network providers extorting their customers

Etc

It's a norm

Corruption is Nigeria and Nigeria is Corruption

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by technicallyrich(m): 10:52am On May 26, 2017
Good people everywhere online,but also remember to write about your fellow rich men whom come to hotels to do shady deal from rituals to cociane bussiness.
There is corruption everywhere in nigeria and these you mentioned is one of the list.why don't you write about the shady oil deals happening etc instead you want to start been good off people managing to survive.
Mr Goodman you have been noticed for your anti corruption campaigns and buhari will soon call you.
Finally nigeria is a tribalistic nation so don't just mention ss and their igbo brothers in negative things but try to add the northerners that is if you are not too afraid to mention or write any negative things about the north.
Your one minute fame is over NEXT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 10:53am On May 26, 2017
everyone in this in country is one way or the other a scammer.

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Babs24: 10:59am On May 26, 2017
Same thing happened to me in Abuja. I never realized until now. Thanks for the exposure Sire.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Johnrake69: 10:59am On May 26, 2017
bangalee1:
So N500 is the cause of all this longstory.
The waiters are paid N18k-20K monthly in nigeria its not easy to live on that.
Am not encouraging stealing but the corruption happening in Aso rock is definitely greater than this.

Well said. We can't be fighting corruption when Nigerians are poorly remunerated. Until Nigerians are paid living wage we will only be paying lip service to the fight against corruption.

2 Likes

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by slex(m): 11:09am On May 26, 2017
Do not pay more than what is written on a menu. Bars and clubs are also not exempted.

If you want to give a tip ,yes you can.

If you are a waiter or waitress and you say you are being paid peanuts so your excuse is to add extra to a customer's bill? Then you must be insane.

When this happens to me i just 'double up' the waiter or waitress. Rubbish
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by chukzyfcbb: 11:10am On May 26, 2017
See the way some comments here are condoning such behaviour. When that american wrote a long post that was posted on nairaland about how Africans, Nigerians in particular are knowing for ripping them off, most of you abused his life, now see how majority are claiming they either do it or calling the OP stingy for not faking a blind eye to the deal. Hypocrites all of you, Hypocrites!!!

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by 2shure: 11:13am On May 26, 2017
Only broke niggis got time for lame shiits.
I lodged in a hotel jus me and my side bitch.
It was ao late.
Bleep noddles were just 1000.
By d time d fucking shit was ready
My bill was 3500 including bottled water.
Am like Bleep
I got couple of thousands
Y who get time to dey shout where is the manager.
Bleep by 10.39pm and u expect me to be yelling wherez d manager.
Fuc am not only messing myself up
Im bugin everyone else with noise.
Bleep.
If u buy shiiit for 500 and tpur bil becomes 2k.
Bro sho some love.
U big pass 2k sef
Unless u r the type dat wud come down from a bus jus cause maybe whr u r going is 70naira
And the conductor says 100 naira direct.

Fucck dis shiiit

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by samtol4(m): 11:19am On May 26, 2017
Factfinder1:
most hotels don't pay and feed their staff well so what do you expect Most people are just criminal minded
Are u justifying their criminality because of low pay ?
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by chukzyfcbb: 11:20am On May 26, 2017
Airforce1:
I don't blame them, they get paid peanut as salary.

So this daily money is used to support salary.

Dis life na understanding.
Stop that there is no moral justification for stealing.
waiters get tipped regularly. Tips alone on a very good day can fetch them as large as 5k but an average of 500-1k daily

Its like saying you don't blame a girl for being raped because she dressed provocatively, that's lame.

Or an armed robber should be freed simply because he needs money to pay his children school fees, Bs!!!
No moral justification for crime, none atalls

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by kingsley3218(m): 11:25am On May 26, 2017
In my Hotel,things ain't done that way,what u see is what u pay,shikenah!
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Denko2721987(m): 11:28am On May 26, 2017
it just goes to show the greed and rot we nigerians harbour within us.. And we would be complaining about the country been messed up by corruption when an average nigerian is 5 times more corrupt than its leaders and would become an extra 10 times corrupt if he/she becomes a leader in any capacity.. The most annoying thing is that u would see them in droves on sunday raising their so-called holy hands to worship god and on friday trooping enmass to mosques to bow down to their god or whatever god they choose to worship that they know absolutely nothing about but they harbour so much rot in their hearts, SMH. Even mathematics taught us that plus multiplied by minus is a massive MINUS..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by softwerk(f): 11:43am On May 26, 2017
mascot87:

Let us be observant.

So you sacked the poor girl in these hard times because you couldn't afford N500 tip that is legal in advanced countries for waiters?! sad

God is watching you!!!
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Denko2721987(m): 11:53am On May 26, 2017
chukzyfcbb:
See the way some comments here are condoning such behaviour. When that american wrote a long post that was posted on nairaland about how Africans, Nigerians in particular are knowing for ripping them off, most of you abused his life, now see how majority are claiming they either do it or calling the OP stingy for not faking a blind eye to the deal. Hypocrites all of you, Hypocrites!!!

my brother, nigerians are a terrible people.. TERRIBLE.. They dont even get ashamed by their terrible double standards and hypocritsy.. Defending whats expressly wrong.. And i get amazed when people wonder why this country has been this way for ages.. But when u take a peep into the mindset of an average nigerian, u would clearly understand why we have been a mess.. The people of Israel roamed the wilderness for 40 years before they evetually found their way to the promise land.. Nigerians have been in the promised land flowing with milk and honey for more than 50 years and are still roaming about lost.. Oo i forget that proverb that says a fool at 40 is a fool forever, so bad we have already gone passed the fool's boundary of no return.. 200 million mumu people as Lagbaja rightly said.. I am not acting all sanctimonous here but mehn we are something..

2 Likes

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by marvy7: 11:53am On May 26, 2017
Well, am not Suprised.. it happens in every sector of our economy in Nigeria, every body wants more, fuel attendants, mechanics, drivers, even in civil service Pple inflate price of projects just for there personal gain...den when u challenge d situation dey see u as being too stingy to part with ur token or too holy to let tins slide... In truth dis past year I av learnt from my work place dat nobody survives on dere basic salary bt from all dese fraudulent acts...av seen Pple resign jst becos dere is no form of "chua chua" (as they call it) in dere wrk place... Dis is exactly d corruption we ar fighting in Nigeria.....tell me how dese Pple won't b worse in public office!!!

I pity d coming generation!!!
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by galaxy2020(m): 11:58am On May 26, 2017
[quote author=mascot87 post=56878213]I will be very brief and I am sure we all can learn one or two things from this. I hope also that I construct this well.

NA BUHARI RECESSION CAUSEAM MY BROTHER. THE HUSTLE IS REAL MENNN....
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by kjhova(m): 12:01pm On May 26, 2017
Airforce1:
I don't blame them, they get paid peanut as salary.

So this daily money is used to support salary.

Dis life na understanding.

And these same people, whose obvious stealing you have rationalised thus, will still speak in tongues next Sunday or display as hajia at the next NASFAT or Anwarul session.

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 26, 2017
Your write up was plain vague. Hotels all over the world attach cost for room service. You are at liberty to walk down to the restaurant to have your meals or drinks at the bar.
Any cost attached on the menu list, is additional cost for room service, The hotel manager that you complained to don't know his or her job
Go and lodge at Sheraton or Reiz hotels in Abuja,or low budget hotels like ABC lodge and felt you have all the money in the world and request for room service, you will realise that Tax, VAT and additional cost for room service will be added. Drinks in your fridge will cost 150% more than if you have gone to the bar to have same.
I am a seasoned traveler in and outside Nigeria, i learnt to have my food and drinks outside the hotel i took lodging

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by ikorodureporta: 12:06pm On May 26, 2017
It happens everywhere, not only in hotels. Sometime ago, i wanted to buy a motivational book in one of those shops where Christian books are sold. I asked for the price & when i checked around d book, i saw a different price, about 20% less than wht i was told.....i jst left
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 26, 2017
mascot87:

Let us be observant.

I didn't read through the thread but let me add some of their ways especially against the owner:
1. They tell you to pay exact amount for what you eat but without giving you bill/receipt
2. They print bills for your meal but use pen and paper to write the bill for your drinks
3. They serve you their own drinks that they have smuggled in. you pay the company price but they make a huge gain for themselves as the owner's inventory is left untouched. (there's no way you can know this one, so don't bother)

LOL.... I can see someone complaining that you sacked the "poor girl" in these hard times because you can not afford a 500 naira tip. Bunch of thieving idiots.

Anyway, this is what I have learnt to do
1. I pay with POS as often as practicable
2. I only pay for what I see on the receipt... Printed receipt o (unless if I believe there's no cash register on location).

The funny thing is that the cheating game is usually played at big hotels/restaurants where they think you won't talk because you won't want to embarrass yourself. Unfortunately, I no get shame.

Case in point: I went to a restaurant in Silverbird Galleria (VI). I finished eating, they brought the receipt and the following conversation ensued:
me: why do I have 2 bills (one (printed) for the food, and one (handwritten) for the drinks)
Waiter: Our machine is new and they have not added this drink to it
me: I will not pay if it's not on the same bill. Or I will pay only for what I see on the printed bill (She was shocked). Where is the manager?
W: He's not around sir
me: Who is the most senior person around?
W: I am sir
me: ( I started writing my number on a paper). Take my number, tell the manager to call me when he's back. Then I will come and pay
W: wait sir, (she went back to the cashier/teller. Guess what, she came back with a solution)
W: Sorry sir. The cashier checked again and said they have fixed it but I didn't know. Sorry for the delay sir.

end of story

Who be mumu? was the bill not supposed to have passed through the cashier before getting to me? I just left. I think they have packed up now self. That's what those employees can do to a business.

4 Likes

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:13pm On May 26, 2017
seangy4konji:
Is Abuja Igbo landyou better look left and right before you cross the road today

You seem not to be aware of your environment. N

Guy Waka you dey Smell
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Airforce1(m): 12:16pm On May 26, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Stop that there is no moral justification for stealing.
waiters get tipped regularly. Tips alone on a very good day can fetch them as large as 5k but an average of 500-1k daily

Its like saying you don't blame a girl for being raped because she dressed provocatively, that's lame.

Or an armed robber should be freed simply because he needs money to pay his children school fees, Bs!!!
No moral justification for crime, none atalls

[b]The country is hard and not everyone is as fortunate or privileged like you are.

I don't have problem with people trying to keep my change because they might need the change more than I do.

Your leaders are corrupt so I expect the OP to write about them and not about a hustler struggling to survive.

God knows how many times I've let go of my change to hotel and bar attendants and It get to a point that sometimes this guys quarrel/fight on whom to attend to me because they know what they get from me and I feel good about it because this guy's are family men and women so I believe this little change mean allot to them and family.

I'm not rich, I'm a student but I thank God I have what it takes to put smile on this guy's faces.

The country is hard and some of this guys are on 10, 15, 20 thousand naira monthly salary (peanut) and they have family at home.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Visit To Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum In Ghana Pics & Video / Pregnant Woman, Two Others Die In Lagos-Ibadan Road Crash / Senate Inspects Lagos-ibadan Railway Site (video And Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.