Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,120 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names (22765 Views)

5 Categories Of Npower That Are Likely To Be Retained In Their Various PPA. / 10 Animals That Don’t Look Dangerous But Are Actually Deadly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Nobody: 9:49am On May 26, 2017
wink wink
Animals and Their Various Yoruba Names
=================================
Cobra *** Ọka
Ox , Bull *** Malu
Spit-Snake ***Ṣebe
Dog *** Aja
Hedgehog *** Ọya
Pangolin *** Akika
Crocodile *** Ọoni
Alligator *** Ahọnrihọn
Pig *** Ẹlẹdẹ
Vulture *** Igun, Gunnugun, Gurugu, Akala
Wood-Carrier *** Arigiṣẹgi
Hawk *** Asa
Palm-Bird *** Ologiri
A species of Bird *** Olofẹrẹ
Sparrow *** Ologoṣẹ
Peacock *** Ọkin
Squirrel *** Ọkẹrẹ
Rabbit *** Ehoro
crickets *** Okinrin
Pouch Rat *** Okete
Wild Goat *** Edu
A species of Deer *** Ekulu
Shark *** Akurakuda
Rat/Mouse *** Eku/Ekute
Earthworm *** Ekolo
Sing Bird *** Ẹyẹ-Orin
Partridge *** Aparo
Horse *** Ẹṣin
Donkey *** Kẹtẹkẹtẹ
Camel *** Rakunmi
Ass *** Ibakasiẹ
Bat *** Adan
Pelican *** Ẹyẹ-Ofu
Water-bird *** Osin
Dove *** Adaba
Viper *** Paramọlẹ
Sea-Gulls *** Pẹju-pẹju
Yellow-haired Monkey *** Sọmidọlọti/Oloyo
Sea-Bird *** Yanja-yanja
Mosquito *** Ẹfọn/Yanmu-yanmu
A species of Beetles *** Yanrinbo
Raven *** Ẹyẹ-Iwo
Snail *** Igbin/Aginniṣọ
Freshwater Snail *** Iṣawuru
Stay *** Igala
Steer *** Ẹgbọọrọ-Akọ Malu
Trout *** Ẹja
Buffalo *** Ẹfọn
Monkey *** Ọbọ .
Ape *** Ẹdun
Lizard *** Alangba, -
Lobster *** Alakasa
Boa *** Constrictor Ere
Boar Ẹlẹdẹ *** Igbo,
Gorilla, Baboon *** Inaki, Inoki, Iro
Chimpanzee *** Elegbede
Phython-Constrictor *** Ojola
Electric Fish *** Ojiji
Scorpion *** Ojogan/Akeekee
Toad *** Kọnkọ
Antelope *** Egbin
Tick/Flee *** Eegbọn
Hippopotamus *** Erinmi
Rhinoceros *** Ẹranko bi Imado.
Reynard (Fox) *** Kọlọkọlọ
Hyena/Wolf *** Ikoko
Giraffe *** Agbanrere
Cow *** Abo-Malu
Crab *** Akan
Wild Pigeon *** Oriri
Porcupine *** Oorẹ, Eerẹ, Ojigbọn
Black-Ants *** Tanpẹpẹ
Centipede *** Tanisanko
Millipede *** Ọkun
Goanna *** Awonrinwon
Frog *** Ọpọlọ
Chicken *** Oromọ-Adiẹ
Nocturnal Animal *** Ajao
Hound *** Aja-Ọdẹ -
Elephant *** Erin/Ajanaku
Sheep *** Aguntan
Ram *** Agbo
Woodcock *** Agbe
A species of Woodcock *** Aluko
White-feathered Bird *** Lekeleke
Chamelon *** Ọga, Alagẹmọ
Crane-Bird *** Akọ -
Parrot *** Odidẹrẹ
Ostrich *** Ogongo
White-Ant *** Ikan, Ikamudu
Tortoise *** Ijapa
Tiger *** Ẹkun
Lion *** Kiniun
Pigeon *** Ẹyẹle
Pig/Swine *** Ẹlẹdẹ
Eagle *** Idi .
Guinea Fowl *** Awo
Guinea Fowl *** Ẹtu
Guinea Pig *** Ẹmọ-Ile
Jelly-Fish *** Ẹja-Odo
A species of Bird *** Afẹrẹgbojo/Afe-imojo
Spider *** Alantakun
Butterfly *** Labalaba
Bee *** Oyin
Cockroach *** Ayan
Cricket *** Irẹ
Crab *** Akan
Housefly *** Eṣinṣin/Eṣin
Gnats *** Kokoro-Ojuọti
Wall-Gecko Ọmọnle
Mouse *** Eliri
Colt Young Horse *** Agodongbo
Woodpecker *** Akoko
Palm-Bird *** Ẹga
Insect *** Ipin
Red-Ant *** Abonilejọpọn
Civet-cat *** Ẹta
Zebra *** Kẹtẹkẹtẹ-Abila -
Owl *** Owiwi
Lice *** Ina-Ori
Bed-bug *** Idun
Leopard *** Amọtẹkun
Hind *** Abo-Agbọnrin
Cat *** Ologinni
Turkey *** Tolotolo
Swallow *** Alapandẹdẹ
Kine *** Abo-Malu
Stallion *** Akọ-Ẹṣin
Gadfly *** Iru, Eṣinṣin- N la
Duck *** Pẹpẹyẹ
Jackal *** Akata/Ajako
And many more ....
**Kindly Share For Others To Learn**
You may also add those not mentioned above

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Evablizin(f): 10:06am On May 26, 2017
Op u r too much,in fact u de hot

1 Like

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 10:20am On May 26, 2017
Good one. I love it. Bravo, Op.
I know Parrot is Odidere but is it not also called "Aiyekooto" or is that a nickname ?

I used to think the Boa-constrictor you called "Ojola" was a myth in folktale stories until i actually encountered one in a so-called forebidden forest somewhere in Ilesha, Osun state, during my secondary school days.
A friend and i saw it's very long raised neck topped by a small round head. It blew a windy fire at us and all hell went loose. The wind was like a storm that threw us unbalance. Though we were able to escape but my friend, son of a great hunter, died just a couple of days after having developped a mysterious itching spots all over his body. I only sustained injuries from collisions with trees, thorns and spike ropes. I got suspended by the school authorities for the escapade. My only regret was the loss of my friend plus the fact that i didn't get to see its entire body.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Nobody: 11:23am On May 26, 2017
BlakKluKluxKlan:
I know Parrot is Odidere but is it not also called "Aiyekooto" or is that a nickname ?

I used to think the Boa-constrictor you called "Ojola" was a myth in folktale stories until i actually encountered one in a so-called forebidden forest somewhere in Ilesha, Osun state, during my secondary school days.
A friend and i saw it's very long raised neck topped by a small round head. It blew a windy fire at us and all hell went loose. The wind was like a storm that threw us unbalance. Though we were able to escape but my friend, son of a great hunter, died just a couple of days after having developped a mysterious itching spots all over his body. I only sustained injuries from collisions with trees, thorns and spike ropes. I got suspended by the school authorities for the escapade. My only regret was the loss of my friend plus the fact that i didn't get to see its entire body.

shocked shocked
Are you serious or for real?
cry cry
My condolences on the demise of your friend.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 1:26pm On May 26, 2017
Alero3Arubi:

shocked shocked
Are you serious or for real?
cry cry
My condolences on the demise of your friend.

Thank you, ma'am.
Yes ofcourse, it was real. It happened in 1969. The school was named Commonwealth College of Science and Techs. The proprietor's name was Mr. Lawrence Makinde ( may have been of blessed memory now). The school was very close to Ilesha General hospital then.

This friend's father was a great hunter-cum-herbalist, sort of. He told me of this thick jungle infested with all kinds of wild animals such that no amateur hunter ever came out of the place alive. It was such a thick jungle that as at 4-5pm, the undergrowths would become dark. He also talked about a very shallow stream that was full of fishes such that you could use baskets to scoop them. Being a lover of adventure, i persuaded him to take me there to fish. We set off one morning not telling anyone in the hostel. I was armed with a catapult and a two-edged dagger. I was actually very proficient in the use of a catapult. It took us several hours journey to get there around 4pm. We met the stream exactly as he had described it - very narrow and shallow - just about ankle deep - and full of big fishes. Immediately we dropped our bag to go to work, we heard a deep-throated growl across the stream. I actually thought it to be a lion or some member of the cat family.

As we looked across the stream, we saw this creature with a very thick, long neck having a almost human-like head except it was as small as a small children ball. As i drew my catapult, it opened its mouth and emitted a powerful current of air mingled with fire which struck both of us down like a flash. And that was from a distance of about 18 yards away. Thereafter, it was everyone for himself and God for us all.
Because the jungle had no pronounced path per se, we got lost coupled with the fact that it was already getting dark.
We immediately lost ourselves in the confusion.
As i waded through the jungle, i came across animals i couldn't see due to the darkness but which also scampered out of my path. I could not understand why they did not attack because i was a sitting duck for anything. I was terribly confused and shaken. Later, i started to hear the sound of moving vehicles which prompted me to change course with the belief that it must lead me to a major highway and it did.
The first vehicle that came along halted at my signal. I told the driver i was going to Ilesha. He told me to cross to the other side for Ilesha-bound bus as he was travelling away therefrom.
After about 1 hour wait in the darkness, i got a bus that took me to Ilesha. Though i had no money to pay, my mere appearance disuaded the driver from asking for the fare because i was virtually drenched in blood. He asked and i briefly told him my plight and that settled it. I got to the school compound by 10pm. I even had to somehow scale the fence because we had a stubborn hause guard behind the gates. I dared not go to the school's clinic for fear of detection so i managed to treat my wounds and live with the pains.

But when my friend's situation got rather worse ( his body was full of rabbies-like spots and itching seriously), he was forced to confess our escapade to his dad who sent for the school proprietor. Thereafter, the school team came to interview me. The wounds on my body made any denial impossible. That was when the news of my friend's demise was broken to me while i was sent home to go take care of myself probably spiritually. But to the glory of God, nothing apart from the wounds happened and i still live to tell the story.
But it was a harrowing experience never to be forgotten.

My true story.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by prettyangel10(f): 2:52pm On May 26, 2017
shocked
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Baba, elokan sha, you get mind, after the warnings and all that, you still went ahead to the "igbo oro". How did your friend escape back to town? who brought him?

Sorry for his demise.

1 Like

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 4:39pm On May 26, 2017
prettyangel10:
shocked

Baba, elokan sha, you get mind, after the warnings and all that, you still went ahead to the "igbo oro". How did your friend escape back to town? who brought him?

Sorry for his demise.

My prettyangel, unfurtunately, after we lost ourselves in the forest, i never set my eyes on him talkless of talking to him. But judging from the time i was told he arrived home, he got home before me perhaps because he knew the terrain more than i do.
Thanks for your sympathy.
Are you from that place and aware of that hell of a forest ?
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by prettyangel10(f): 7:05pm On May 26, 2017
BlakKluKluxKlan:

My prettyangel, unfurtunately, after we lost ourselves in the forest, i never set my eyes on him talkless of talking to him. But judging from the time i was told he arrived home, he got home before me perhaps because he knew the terrain more than i do.
Thanks for your sympathy.
Are you from that place and aware of that hell of a forest ?

You r welcome. No, not from Ilesha, but was just wondering what you guys might have gone through, I'm not aware of d forest o. Forest loun loun, wetin I dey find up and down.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Jabioro: 7:42pm On May 26, 2017
OP you have done something different.. kudos, remained the most blessed.. do more it

1 Like

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 7:45pm On May 26, 2017
cry
prettyangel10:

You r welcome. No, not from Ilesha, but was just wondering what you guys might have gone through, I'm not aware of d forest o. Forest loun loun, wetin I dey find up and down.

Because you are female, that 's all. Otherwise, adventures hold a lot of education. Iriri aiye po nibe. May God bless you eternally.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 7:55pm On May 26, 2017
prettyangel10:

I could invite you for sea voyage if you are afraid of the forest. It can be pleasantly satisfying.
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy, y'know. Omo Oodua kii beru.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by prettyangel10(f): 11:58am On May 27, 2017
BlakKluKluxKlan:

I could invite you for sea voyage if you are afraid of the forest. It can be pleasantly satisfying.
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy, y'know. Omo Oodua kii beru.

Thanks.

Let's not derail the thread. Have a nice weekend.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:43pm On May 27, 2017
prettyangel10:

Thanks.

Let's not derail the thread. Have a nice weekend.

Oh nothing untoward intended ma'am. I'm a born adventurist and i have a group of boat voyaging friends that go on annual sea vacation.
Strickly for married couples. We were all merchant Navy veterans who feel at home at sea. That's all. Cheers and good luck.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 11, 2017
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Oh nothing untoward intended ma'am. I'm a born adventurist and i have a group of boat voyaging friends that go on annual sea vacation.
Strickly for married couples. We were all merchant Navy veterans who feel at home at sea. That's all. Cheers and good luck.

So u are from ilesa?
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by dacovajnr: 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2017
But mouse suppose be asin nau angry na your own yoruba dialect you take compose ma op?
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 6:15pm On Jul 11, 2017
sexybbstar:

So u are from ilesa?

Nope.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Dynamiq(m): 7:23pm On Dec 22, 2018
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Thank you, ma'am.
Yes ofcourse, it was real. It happened in 1969. The school was named Commonwealth College of Science and Techs. The proprietor's name was Mr. Lawrence Makinde ( may have been of blessed memory now). The school was very close to Ilesha General hospital then.

This friend's father was a great hunter-cum-herbalist, sort of. He told me of this thick jungle infested with all kinds of wild animals such that no amateur hunter ever came out of the place alive. It was such a thick jungle that as at 4-5pm, the undergrowths would become dark. He also talked about a very shallow stream that was full of fishes such that you could use baskets to scoop them. Being a lover of adventure, i persuaded him to take me there to fish. We set off one morning not telling anyone in the hostel. I was armed with a catapult and a two-edged dagger. I was actually very proficient in the use of a catapult. It took us several hours journey to get there around 4pm. We met the stream exactly as he had described it - very narrow and shallow - just about ankle deep - and full of big fishes. Immediately we dropped our bag to go to work, we heard a deep-throated growl across the stream. I actually thought it to be a lion or some member of the cat family.

As we looked across the stream, we saw this creature with a very thick, long neck having a almost human-like head except it was as small as a small children ball. As i drew my catapult, it opened its mouth and emitted a powerful current of air mingled with fire which struck both of us down like a flash. And that was from a distance of about 18 yards away. Thereafter, it was everyone for himself and God for us all.
Because the jungle had no pronounced path per se, we got lost coupled with the fact that it was already getting dark.
We immediately lost ourselves in the confusion.
As i waded through the jungle, i came across animals i couldn't see due to the darkness but which also scampered out of my path. I could not understand why they did not attack because i was a sitting duck for anything. I was terribly confused and shaken. Later, i started to hear the sound of moving vehicles which prompted me to change course with the belief that it must lead me to a major highway and it did.
The first vehicle that came along halted at my signal. I told the driver i was going to Ilesha. He told me to cross to the other side for Ilesha-bound bus as he was travelling away therefrom.
After about 1 hour wait in the darkness, i got a bus that took me to Ilesha. Though i had no money to pay, my mere appearance disuaded the driver from asking for the fare because i was virtually drenched in blood. He asked and i briefly told him my plight and that settled it. I got to the school compound by 10pm. I even had to somehow scale the fence because we had a stubborn hause guard behind the gates. I dared not go to the school's clinic for fear of detection so i managed to treat my wounds and live with the pains.

But when my friend's situation got rather worse ( his body was full of rabbies-like spots and itching seriously), he was forced to confess our escapade to his dad who sent for the school proprietor. Thereafter, the school team came to interview me. The wounds on my body made any denial impossible. That was when the news of my friend's demise was broken to me while i was sent home to go take care of myself probably spiritually. But to the glory of God, nothing apart from the wounds happened and i still live to tell the story.
But it was a harrowing experience never to be forgotten.

My true story.

Sir, your posts are so enlightening and inspiring. Also, anything that has to do with animals and forests, I am so much interested in it. As for the sea; well, I have not had much experience with that. Besides, you appear to be a sort of a gifted person. I would like to meet you sir. I hope you are still in Nairaland and in Nigeria sir?
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 12:12am On Dec 23, 2018
Dynamiq:

Sir, your posts are so enlightening and inspiring. Also, anything that has to do with animals and forests, I am so much interested in it. As for the sea; well, I have not had much experience with that. Besides, you appear to be a sort of a gifted person. I would like to meet you sir. I hope you are still in Nairaland and in Nigeria sir?

Thank you.
Will be a pleasure.
Yes to both.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Dynamiq(m): 5:59pm On Dec 23, 2018
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Thank you.
Will be a pleasure.
Yes to both.
Thanks sir. I would contact you on phone (either Whatsapp or call). I have been able to find your number.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 7:15am On Dec 24, 2018
Dynamiq:

Thanks sir. I would contact you on phone (either Whatsapp or call). I have been able to find your number.

Uwlcm.
Okay.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Supgee: 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2019
Wow, thanks a lot. This just saved me some stress now.
Alero3Arubi:
wink wink
Cobra *** Ọka
Ox , Bull *** Malu
Spit-Snake ***Ṣebe
Dog *** Aja
Hedgehog *** Ọya
Pangolin *** Akika
Crocodile *** Ọoni
Alligator *** Ahọnrihọn
Pig *** Ẹlẹdẹ
Hawk *** Asa
Palm-Bird *** Ologiri
Sparrow *** Ologoṣẹ
Peacock *** Ọkin
Squirrel *** Ọkẹrẹ
Rabbit *** Ehoro
crickets *** Okinrin
Pouch Rat *** Okete
Wild Goat *** Edu
Shark *** Akurakuda
Rat/Mouse *** Eku/Ekute
Earthworm *** Ekolo
Sing Bird *** Ẹyẹ-Orin
Partridge *** Aparo
Horse *** Ẹṣin
Donkey *** Kẹtẹkẹtẹ
Camel *** Rakunmi
Ass *** Ibakasiẹ
Bat *** Adan
Pelican *** Ẹyẹ-Ofu
Water-bird *** Osin
Dove *** Adaba
Viper *** Paramọlẹ
Sea-Gulls *** Pẹju-pẹju
Sea-Bird *** Yanja-yanja
Raven *** Ẹyẹ-Iwo
Snail *** Igbin/Aginniṣọ
Stay *** Igala
Trout *** Ẹja
Buffalo *** Ẹfọn
Monkey *** Ọbọ .
Ape *** Ẹdun
Lizard *** Alangba, -
Lobster *** Alakasa
Boa *** Constrictor Ere
Boar Ẹlẹdẹ *** Igbo,
Chimpanzee *** Elegbede
Electric Fish *** Ojiji
Toad *** Kọnkọ
Antelope *** Egbin
Tick/Flee *** Eegbọn
Hippopotamus *** Erinmi
Hyena/Wolf *** Ikoko
Giraffe *** Agbanrere
Cow *** Abo-Malu
Crab *** Akan
Wild Pigeon *** Oriri
Black-Ants *** Tanpẹpẹ
Centipede *** Tanisanko
Millipede *** Ọkun
Goanna *** Awonrinwon
Frog *** Ọpọlọ
Chicken *** Oromọ-Adiẹ
Hound *** Aja-Ọdẹ -
Sheep *** Aguntan
Ram *** Agbo
Woodcock *** Agbe
Crane-Bird *** Akọ -
Parrot *** Odidẹrẹ
Ostrich *** Ogongo
Tortoise *** Ijapa
Tiger *** Ẹkun
Lion *** Kiniun
Pigeon *** Ẹyẹle
Pig/Swine *** Ẹlẹdẹ
Eagle *** Idi .
Guinea Fowl *** Awo
Guinea Fowl *** Ẹtu
Guinea Pig *** Ẹmọ-Ile
Jelly-Fish *** Ẹja-Odo
Spider *** Alantakun
Butterfly *** Labalaba
Bee *** Oyin
Cockroach *** Ayan
Cricket *** Irẹ
Crab *** Akan
Gnats *** Kokoro-Ojuọti
Wall-Gecko Ọmọnle
Mouse *** Eliri
Woodpecker *** Akoko
Palm-Bird *** Ẹga
Insect *** Ipin
Red-Ant *** Abonilejọpọn
Civet-cat *** Ẹta
Owl *** Owiwi
Lice *** Ina-Ori
Bed-bug *** Idun
Leopard *** Amọtẹkun
Hind *** Abo-Agbọnrin
Cat *** Ologinni
Turkey *** Tolotolo
Swallow *** Alapandẹdẹ
Kine *** Abo-Malu
Stallion *** Akọ-Ẹṣin
Duck *** Pẹpẹyẹ
Jackal *** Akata/Ajako
And many more ....

1 Like

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 27, 2020
@op

Leopard is Ekùn not the tiger. We have no word for tiger in the yoruba language since it’s not native to sub Saharan Africa.

Cheetah is Amotekun.

Your welcome
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by emmaodet: 8:01am On May 16, 2020
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Good morning sir,

Pls are you a merchant navy?
Which countries do you people go by ship for vacations, price and what month?
Thanks
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 10:27pm On May 16, 2020
emmaodet:

Good morning sir,

Pls are you a merchant navy?
Which countries do you people go by ship for vacations, price and what month?
Thanks

Sorry, i am not involved in the sea voyage though i was a qualified Merchant Navy
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by emmaodet: 10:57pm On May 16, 2020
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Sorry, i am not involved in the sea voyage though i was a qualified Merchant Navy

So which vessels or ships are into vacation cruise?
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 3:41pm On May 17, 2020
emmaodet:

So which vessels or ships are into vacation cruise?

Someone else posted that. I think you quoted the wrong person.
I too read the post you had in mind but don't have it on record.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by TAO12: 1:57am On Jun 16, 2020
sammyfrosh:
@op

Leopard is Ekùn not the tiger. We have no word for tiger in the yoruba language since it’s not native to sub Saharan Africa.

Cheetah is Amotekun.

Your welcome

The bolded is inaccurate.

The first European travellers to explore the Yoruba interior wrote descriptions of some Oyo-Ile shrines (in the Old Oyo Empire) with a carvings of tiger as decorative art.

The artist and natives have obviously see the real-life version of what they carved, and they of course have a name for it.

If you care to see the description in the eye-witness report, I will take the time to type it in.

Cheers!
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Nobody: 2:06am On Jun 16, 2020
TAO12:

The bolded is inaccurate.

The first European travellers to explore the Yoruba interior wrote descriptions of some Oyo-Ile shrines (in the Old Oyo Empire) with a carvings of tiger as decorative art.

The artist and natives have obviously see the real-life version of what they carved, and they of course have a name for it.

If you care to see the description in the eye-witness report, I will take the time to type it in.

Cheers!
Maybe they saw carvings of leopard not tiger bro. Tiger is found in the Eurasian continents not on our African soil.

The leopard is the one actually called Ekùn while the cheetah is Amotekun or owawa due to its spot that bear resemblances to that of the leopard’s.
Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by TAO12: 4:25am On Jun 16, 2020
sammyfrosh:

Maybe they saw carvings of leopard not tiger bro. Tiger is found in the Eurasian continents not on our African soil.

Richard Lander visited Oyo-Ile in 1826 where he described the carved wooden artworks placed around the principal shrine of Oyo-Ile.

He noted in his documentation that he saw "wooden images of tigers" as well as other animal images he wrote about.

I can give you the full quotation and reference to his documention of what he wrote that he saw at the shrine.

You wouldn't want to stand by your notion that this European saw a wooden image of the animal shown in the attachment below, but somehow in writting decided to spell it as T-I-G-E-R. Lol. It's obvious that's simply not true.

I can understand if this documented experience causes you to wonder how the Oyos (or Africans generally) knew about tigers to have carved them around an Oyo-Ile shrine.

But to suggest that this European saw the animal shown in the attachment below, but wrote tiger instead is not only to be close-minded, but also to be non-realistic.

But to answer this question, the ancient Oyo people's evident knowledge and experience of tigers (despite tigers being exclusive to Eurasia) is as the knowledge and experience of elephants by the western Europeans (despite elephants being exclusive to Africa and few parts of Asia).

People move around. People have contacts with others. Animals also go extinct.

The leopard is the one actually called Ekùn while the cheetah is Amotekun or owawa due to its spot that bear resemblances to that of the leopard’s.

This is what must be proven, especially since the assumption on which this conclusion is based has been proven untrue by the knowledge of "tigers" in ancient Oyo.

Moreover, Owawa is not close -- by any stretch of the imagination -- to any of the wild cats.

I have seen an Owawa killed before. It's a very, very, very small animal relative to the wild cats. It's size and feature is about that of say a grasscutter.

It's nothing comparable to any of the wild cats.

2 Likes

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 16, 2020
TAO12:

Richard Lander visited Oyo-Ile in 1826 where he described the carved wooden artworks placed around the principal shrine of Oyo-Ile.

He noted in his documentation that he saw "wooden images of tigers" as well as other animal images he wrote about.

I can give you the full quotation and reference to his documention of what he wrote that he saw at the shrine.

You wouldn't want to stand by your notion that this European saw a wooden image of the animal shown in the attachment below, but somehow in writting decided to spell it as T-I-G-E-R. Lol. It's obvious that's simply not true.

I can understand if this documented experience causes you to wonder how the Oyos (or Africans generally) knew about tigers to have carved them around an Oyo-Ile shrine.

But to suggest that this European saw the animal shown in the attachment below, but wrote tiger instead is not only to be close-minded, but also to be non-realistic.

But to answer this question, the ancient Oyo people's evident knowledge and experience of tigers (despite tigers being exclusive to Eurasia) is as the knowledge and experience of elephants by the western Europeans (despite elephants being exclusive to Africa and few parts of Asia).

People move around. People have contacts with others. Animals also go extinct.

This is what must be proven, especially since the assumption on which this conclusion is based has been proven untrue by the knowledge of "tigers" in ancient Oyo.

Moreover, Owawa is not close -- by any stretch of the imagination -- to any of the wild cats.

I have seen an Owawa killed before. It's a very, very, very small animal relative to the wild cats. It's size and feature is about that of say a grasscutter.

It's nothing comparable to any of the wild cats.
Let me just leave this here bro.
It should clarify more on the matter.

https://www.facebook.com/262884720484190/posts/2516458288460144/?d=n

1 Like

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by TAO12: 2:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
sammyfrosh:

Let me just leave this here bro.
It should clarify more on the matter.

https://www.facebook.com/262884720484190/posts/2516458288460144/?d=n

I have seen this picture and this post many, many times.

Whoever wrote the Facebook post was simply pursuing the same kind of argument you're pursuing.

His argument is simply that: If tigers were ever seen by the Yorubas, then there would at least have been artworks depicting it.

He then argued the contrapositive that since there has never been any such art work depicting tigers, then the Yoruba word Ekun must refer to an animal other than Tiger.

Now, the premise for his contrapositive argument here is what is false. And this is my point.

We know it is false to say there has never been any such artwork because Richard Lander visited the capital of the Great Oyo Empire in the year 1826, and he saw carvings of different animal around the principal Oyo-Ile shrine.

For some of these carvings he documented the following words: "wooden images of tigers".

Now, the question which you must honestly and truthfully consider to yourself (devoid of any polemical motive) is that: an European sees artworks of the animal below, and then wrote that what he is seeing is a tiger?

No, that's simply not true, unrealistic, dishonest, and farfetched.

This is the evidence we need to shut the viral but false idea that there were no knowledge of tigers in Yorubaland.

Yes, out ancestors knew tigers and Lander's documentation proved that they did as they carved artworks of it.

Similarly, the Europeans knew about Elephants, even though Elephants aren't found in Europe.

Finally, just like I have done, the Facebook post also mentions that the claim of equating Owawa as Cheetah is nonsensical.

1 Like

Re: Animals And Their Various Yoruba Names by barcaboi(m): 6:10pm On Oct 07, 2021
Alero3Arubi:
wink wink
Cobra *** Ọka
Ox , Bull *** Malu
Spit-Snake ***Ṣebe
Dog *** Aja
Hedgehog *** Ọya
Pangolin *** Akika
Crocodile *** Ọoni
Alligator *** Ahọnrihọn
Pig *** Ẹlẹdẹ
Hawk *** Asa
Palm-Bird *** Ologiri
Sparrow *** Ologoṣẹ
Peacock *** Ọkin
Squirrel *** Ọkẹrẹ
Rabbit *** Ehoro
crickets *** Okinrin
Pouch Rat *** Okete
Wild Goat *** Edu
Shark *** Akurakuda
Rat/Mouse *** Eku/Ekute
Earthworm *** Ekolo
Sing Bird *** Ẹyẹ-Orin
Partridge *** Aparo
Horse *** Ẹṣin
Donkey *** Kẹtẹkẹtẹ
Camel *** Rakunmi
Ass *** Ibakasiẹ
Bat *** Adan
Pelican *** Ẹyẹ-Ofu
Water-bird *** Osin
Dove *** Adaba
Viper *** Paramọlẹ
Sea-Gulls *** Pẹju-pẹju
Sea-Bird *** Yanja-yanja
Raven *** Ẹyẹ-Iwo
Snail *** Igbin/Aginniṣọ
Stay *** Igala
Trout *** Ẹja
Buffalo *** Ẹfọn
Monkey *** Ọbọ .
Ape *** Ẹdun
Lizard *** Alangba, -
Lobster *** Alakasa
Boa *** Constrictor Ere
Boar Ẹlẹdẹ *** Igbo,
Chimpanzee *** Elegbede
Electric Fish *** Ojiji
Toad *** Kọnkọ
Antelope *** Egbin
Tick/Flee *** Eegbọn
Hippopotamus *** Erinmi
Hyena/Wolf *** Ikoko
Giraffe *** Agbanrere
Cow *** Abo-Malu
Crab *** Akan
Wild Pigeon *** Oriri
Black-Ants *** Tanpẹpẹ
Centipede *** Tanisanko
Millipede *** Ọkun
Goanna *** Awonrinwon
Frog *** Ọpọlọ
Chicken *** Oromọ-Adiẹ
Hound *** Aja-Ọdẹ -
Sheep *** Aguntan
Ram *** Agbo
Woodcock *** Agbe
Crane-Bird *** Akọ -
Parrot *** Odidẹrẹ
Ostrich *** Ogongo
Tortoise *** Ijapa
Tiger *** Ẹkun
Lion *** Kiniun
Pigeon *** Ẹyẹle
Pig/Swine *** Ẹlẹdẹ
Eagle *** Idi .
Guinea Fowl *** Awo
Guinea Fowl *** Ẹtu
Guinea Pig *** Ẹmọ-Ile
Jelly-Fish *** Ẹja-Odo
Spider *** Alantakun
Butterfly *** Labalaba
Bee *** Oyin
Cockroach *** Ayan
Cricket *** Irẹ
Crab *** Akan
Gnats *** Kokoro-Ojuọti
Wall-Gecko Ọmọnle
Mouse *** Eliri
Woodpecker *** Akoko
Palm-Bird *** Ẹga
Insect *** Ipin
Red-Ant *** Abonilejọpọn
Civet-cat *** Ẹta
Owl *** Owiwi
Lice *** Ina-Ori
Bed-bug *** Idun
Leopard *** Amọtẹkun
Hind *** Abo-Agbọnrin
Cat *** Ologinni
Turkey *** Tolotolo
Swallow *** Alapandẹdẹ
Kine *** Abo-Malu
Stallion *** Akọ-Ẹṣin
Duck *** Pẹpẹyẹ
Jackal *** Akata/Ajako
And many more ....

Cobra is actually Sebe not oka; oka is viper

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Military Reject 'highly Unpatriotic' Calls To Sabotage Democracy / Best Site To Buy Youtube Views / Why Do Nigerians Do These Things?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.