Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,999 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? (2734 Views)

My First Time Seeing GSD Mixed With Nigerian Local Dogs / See The Snake I Killed In My Kennel Tonight / Local Dogs Available. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Greene66: 9:22pm On May 28, 2017
undecided shocked

I don't even know the right expression.

So earlier this evening at about 7:00pm I and my partner were walking our 5/6 months old GSD puppy. It has been a while we walked him he has gotten lazy. So we decided to go on a long walk even beyond our usual area of walking we decided to extend further into the neighbouring estate.

Then suddenly, 2 loose local breeds began to charge us. They ran towards us and then my GSD began to react. He wanted to attack but he was on a leash which I was holding but he also growled and barked violently at them and they turned back but I ensured we don't stay too long since we are in wrong territory before their father or their fellow pack members come forth so we left the area and went back home immediately.

He was still looking back and growling even as we were walking back home. Seems he wasn't satisfied or he wanted a fight.

My questions are,

What went wrong?

Does it mean we cannot roam in another area with dogs? One of the passerby said it's because we don't live in that area that it's wrong territory for my puppy.

Was I wrong to leash my puppy? Should I have set him free to fight? My partner wanted me to free him but I refused since he is a puppy and they are two and its their area(dog territory I mean)

Did he feel defeated as he didn't get to mouth on one of them as he wanted? Because even after returning home the anger is still there I see he refused to play with the younger female. He is still 'vexing'. I think he feels defeated or conquered cry

Although I enjoyed the confrontation. My puppy ain't a bastard. He wasn't scared cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by slowice(m): 9:26pm On May 28, 2017
Hmmmmmmm
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Strahovski1(m): 9:36pm On May 28, 2017
In my opinion, you did the right thing. Do not let your dog in a fight outside his territory (your compound). He might win the fight, yes! But what happens to you and the owner of the dog he beat down? Is it your house?

So op, you were right to go home immediately and leash your dog. And your dog doesn't feel defeated infact, he won since they turned back as you said and did not come close. As long as he did not attempt to run away, you are the one who took him away then it's victory not defeat in my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Greene66: 9:41pm On May 28, 2017
Strahovski1:
In my opinion, you did the right thing. Do not let your dog in a fight outside his territory (your compound). He might win the fight, yes! But what happens to you and the owner of the dog he beat down? Is it your house?

So op, you were right to go home immediately and leash your dog. And your dog doesn't feel defeated infact, he won since they turned back as you said and did not come close. As long as he did not attempt to run away, you are the one who took him away then it's victory not defeat in my opinion.

Hmmm. My partner said same thing. But it isn't fair. They should be able to freely roam as long as no one looks for trouble.
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Akunyun(m): 9:43pm On May 28, 2017
You did the right thing by not unleashing your dog to fight them, it is wrong in all senses to do so. What the local dogs did is quite understandable because that is their territory and your dog walking around there posed a threat to them and all they could do was bark and feign an attack.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Strahovski1(m): 9:46pm On May 28, 2017
Greene66:

Hmmm. My partner said same thing. But it isn't fair. They should be able to freely roam as long as no one looks for trouble.

Not in dog world

2 Likes

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Greene66: 10:00pm On May 28, 2017
Akunyun:
You did the right thing by not unleashing your dog to fight them, it is wrong in all senses to do so. What the local dogs did is quite understandable because that is their territory and your dog walking around there posed a threat to them and all they could do was bark and feign an attack.

Thanks for the clarification as I was wondering what we did wrong to them as we were just going without looking at anyone.
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by femolacqua(m): 10:29pm On May 28, 2017
Your Gsd pup showed those local, who is boss.

1 Like

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by EddyNumerouno(m): 6:20am On May 29, 2017
Forget about victory or loss. You just saved your dog from a host of diseases. Never allow your pets interact with stray animals as most (especially local breeds) are carriers of diseases while being immune

4 Likes

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Caveatemptor(m): 8:02am On May 29, 2017
^^^
Very true.

Stray dogs that roam the streets are host to concoctions of diseases ranging from flea to ticks to even diseases that could threaten the life of your dog.
You did the right thing in not unleashing your dog and taking it home. Trust me.
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by KingAfo(m): 8:56am On May 29, 2017
Op why you dey talk like this now. You must be new in dog thing.
You expect the dog to fight?
A five month old dog?
With local dogs of age maybe 3 years + diseases
Next time don't even look back. Train your dog to keep walking.
Last year in abuja..i was walking my boerboel ,local Hausa hunters with their plenty dogs were telling me to release my dogs to fight. My dog was charging too.. I just carry okada with my dog. He was 2 years old then. What do they know?..illiterate and ignorant people.

6 Likes

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by timifizzy(m): 9:35am On May 29, 2017
KingAfo:
A five month old dog?
Last year in abuja..i was walking my boerboel ,local Hausa hunters with their plenty dogs were telling me to release my dogs to fight. My dog was charging too.. I just carry okada with my dog. He was 2 years old then. What do they know?..illiterate and ignorant people.

#wisdom. Awon alakoba

1 Like

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by miremoses(m): 6:35pm On May 29, 2017
Bro,forget the growling thing your pup did,if you had let him charge,i bet you your dear pup could have being in vet clinic by now,its like putting a fight between an area boy(thug) and someone who have not even fought before. These stray dogs you see on roads are pure thugs,I'm telling you from what I've encountered before

6 Likes

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by petsarena: 7:10pm On May 29, 2017
The local dogs did what they are supposed to do by alerting of an intruder being your dog. That's the territorial instinct at work. You did the right thing by not releasing your dog, because he may contact parvovirus since he is still a puppy. As for fighting, they will not fight him, they will just do the necessary introduction of sniffing their anal regions. Your dog will have bowed to them to tell them that he respects their authority had it been you released from.the leash.
Your dog barked because he feels covered by your presence , it does not have anything to do with dominance or aggressiveness.
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Greene66: 11:25pm On May 29, 2017
miremoses:
Bro,forget the growling thing your pup did,if you had let him charge,i bet you your dear pup could have being in vet clinic by now,its like putting a fight between an area boy(thug) and someone who have not even fought before. These stray dogs you see on roads are pure thugs,I'm telling you from what I've encountered before

Yes true. Even I know this
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Greene66: 11:29pm On May 29, 2017
petsarena:
The local dogs did what they are supposed to do by alerting of an intruder being your dog. That's the territorial instinct at work. You did the right thing by not releasing your dog, because he may contact parvovirus since he is still a puppy. As for fighting, they will not fight him, they will just do the necessary introduction of sniffing their anal regions. Your dog will have bowed to them to tell them that he respects their authority had it been you released from.the leash.
Your dog barked because he feels covered by your presence , it does not have anything to do with dominance or aggressiveness.

My pup does not respect authority sir. He has bitten 2 samoyed puppy breeds in the vet place twice. I had to pay for it. He is always looking for fight. He has even bitten my neighbor's little girl once when I wasn't around.

Thank God she understood and forgave me. Though I gave her money for treatment as he is a puppy and his bite isn't serious. So I doubt my boy will bow. But you are still correct
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Repairnigeria(m): 6:38am On May 30, 2017
so thug dog dey i no fit laugh finish
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Greene66: 4:43pm On May 30, 2017
KingAfo:
A five month old dog?

It appears you did not read the article at all. I never mentioned i wanted him to fight. Calm your nerves and read.

This same 5 months old comes from a litter of mad dogs. You need to see his father. big and mad. They attack first and ask questions later. So i know my dog but that isn't the topic of discussion. Read the article again. Its completely different

I have 6 dogs at my command/management.. point of correction. I only wanted to know what caused the Charge.
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by KingAfo(m): 10:29pm On May 30, 2017
Greene66:

It appears you did not read the article at all. I never mentioned i wanted him to fight. Calm your nerves and read.

This same 5 months old comes from a litter of mad dogs. You need to see his father. big and mad. They attack first and ask questions later. So i know my dog but that isn't the topic of discussion. Read the article again. Its completely different

I have 6 dogs at my command/management.. point of correction. I only wanted to know what caused the Charge.
The reason why your dog charged was written there only if you have the ability to read and understand
@miremoses @petsarena said it as well.
Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by LordPhoenix007: 4:55pm On May 31, 2017
A 6month old pup against a probably 2 year old local dog... Don't!!!
Same thing happened to me,a breastfeeding local dog charged my pup. I thought they were going to just interact till teeth almost went flying. I warded the local dog off, pulled my pup away. At 6 months,your pup is not as strong as she looks,also don't promote violence amongst dogs. You did the right thing my G
Greene66:

1 Like

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 02, 2017
You did a good thing. Don't allow your dog engage in unnecessary fights.

Greene66:

Re: 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? by UrennaNkoli(f): 9:04pm On Jun 02, 2017
Greene66:
undecided shocked

I don't even know the right expression.

Those breeds whether you call it basenji or mongrel are social species and are very territorial. They move in packs.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See What An Innocent Python Swallowed And Died. (photo) / American Cocker Spaniel Pups Available / Please Help Ticks Are About To Kill My Dogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.