Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? (1914 Views)

Aba, Ngwa, Abiriba And Arochuwkwu Are Ancestral Ibibio Land. / Yorubas Have No Ancestral Link With Igbo, Olugbo Tells Ooni / Olu Of Warri, Ikenwole, Ayiri Emami Cross Over To Ancestral Palace Across River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Afam4eva(m): 6:26pm On May 30, 2017
I just watched an African American guy reveal his result on youtube and i kept asking myself how authentic these results are considering the fact that the result was broken down to every possible country that the person must have a DNA from. Does anyone know any Nigerian who has done these tests? I think the best way to know how true these results are if for a Nigerian to take the test and see if they'll say he/she is from Senegal instead of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by AworiLagosian: 6:45pm On May 30, 2017
Yes.

Like this man, who got the shock of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClublrAZLXQ

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by AworiLagosian: 6:54pm On May 30, 2017
He then later used another testing company and got this... Which was more satisfactory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcCQPa2TRg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Afam4eva(m): 7:00pm On May 30, 2017
I saw youtube comments from some Nigerians that did theirs and the test result was always almost 100% Nigeria. Some had 95% Nigerian and 5% Benin/Togo which is understandable due to migrations. Most groups in Nigeria will have a mix of something.

@Aworilagosian
I think the problem with that man's first test is not that it's not correct but the way AncestralDNA did their classification.

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by AworiLagosian: 7:02pm On May 30, 2017
Afam4eva:
I saw youtube comments from some Nigerians that did theirs and the test result was always almost 100% Nigeria. Some had 95% Nigerian and 5% Benin/Togo which is understandable due to migrations. Most groups in Nigeria will have a mix of something.

@Aworilagosian
I think the problem with that man's first test is not that it's not correct but the way AncestralDNA did their classification.

The second video from DNAland (Another company) said he was 95% Nigerian from the "Lower Niger Valley"

He came up as Yoruba1 and Esan2 which are roughly respective cognates of his actual ethnic groups (Itsekiri1 and Urhobo2) from Delta.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by AworiLagosian: 7:05pm On May 30, 2017
The way some of these Niger Deltans are beginning to think it is some kind of Identity is becoming perplexing.
It's like some of them don't know that region is a melting pot. (Nigerian factor)

1 Like

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Afam4eva(m): 7:09pm On May 30, 2017
AworiLagosian:

The second video from DNAland (Another company) said he was 95% Nigerian from the "Lower Niger Valley"

He came up as Yoruba1 and Esan2 which are roughly respective cognates of his actual ethnic groups (Itsekiri1 and Urhobo2) from Delta.
Yes, i saw that. DNAland is more precise with the ethnic group as opposed to AncestralDNA which focuses n countries and regions. For instance, what do they mean by Benin/Togo?

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by AworiLagosian: 7:24pm On May 30, 2017
Nigerian (Yoruba) Dna result.
lives in UK

Nigeria: 44%
Benin/Togo: 37%
Ivory Coast/Ghana: 15%
________
Trace Regions
Cameroon/Congo: 2%
Mali: 1$%
Africa SE Bantu <1%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG0DBuBeKWM
The guy sounds a bit dumb though, no offence. As well as that white lady with him who was mentioning Papua new guinea, Haiti and Jamaica, like wtf.

1 Like

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 30, 2017
AworiLagosian:
Nigerian (Yoruba) Dna result.
lives in UK

Nigeria: 44%
Benin/Togo: 37%
Ivory Coast/Ghana: 15%
________
Trace Regions
Cameroon/Congo: 2%
Mali: 1$%
Africa SE Bantu <1%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG0DBuBeKWM
The guy sounds a bit dumb though, no offence. As well as that white lady with him who was mentioning Papua new guinea, Haiti and Jamaica, like wtf.
Lol. What I see here is a woman holding the issue upside down. It's like referring to the square as the square root and vice versa. I'm not surprised she mentioned the Caribbeans and other small islands. A lot of the inhabitants of the small islands are descendants of slaves who were taken from Africa. It's why they have places like "Abeokuta" and "Calabar" in Jamaica. So we should be a reference for them and not the other way round.

On a lighter note, are you aware that most Caribbeans still loathe Africans because of the slavery thing till today? It's true that white marauders exploited and pillaged our lands, but our useless monarchs also sold our kinsmen for gun and rum.

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by AworiLagosian: 7:51pm On May 30, 2017
BiafraAngitator:
Lol. What I see here is a woman holding the issue upside down. It's like referring to the square as the square root and vice versa. I'm not surprised she mentioned the Caribbeans and other small islands. A lot of the inhabitants of the small islands are descendants of slaves who were taken from Africa. It's why they have places like "Abeokuta" and "Calabar" in Jamaica. So we should be a reference for them and not the other way round.

On a lighter note, are you aware that most Caribbeans still loathe Africans because of the slavery thing till today? It's true that white marauders exploited and pillaged our lands, but our useless monarchs also sold our kinsmen for gun and rum.

So how is that a reason to loathe Africans?
History was brutal, they should deal with it. In that era there were all sorts of tribal and clannish wars everywhere. And the losers were not exactly the luckiest people.

Didn't the same African returnees who came back to places like Sierra Leone and Liberia start oppressing the local African populations over there with their newly gained knowledge and skills? Research it, u'll see what they in turn did in all those places, even after seeing what it meant to be oppressed.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by AworiLagosian: 7:59pm On May 30, 2017
Yalla tribe. DNA results.
The Yalla/Iyalla are a small tribe from Cross River state of Nigeria.
Her results are not surprising.

Nigeria - 43%
Cameroon/Congo - 35%
Benin/Togo - 13%
Ivory Coast/Ghana - 7%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZeds5MxKvc

4 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 30, 2017
Following
Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Konquest: 1:40am On Jun 01, 2017
AworiLagosian:
He then later used another testing company and got this... Which was more satisfactory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcCQPa2TRg

~~~~~~
This video link above got me laughing till the very end. I loved the man's sense
of humour and the fact that his DNA
result clearly showed the Yoruboid/Edoid
ancestry, i.e, Itsekiri/Urhobo parentage!
The iconic Nigerian actor, Richard Mofe
Damijo's dad is Urhobo while his mum is Itsekiri, and this just
confirms that the centuries-long family
ties between Eastern Yoruboid and Edoid
groups based on oral and written traditions is very TRUE. From my
studies going back since the 80's, a
significant number of Itsekiris have
Urhobo mothers and vice versa.
Professor Itsay Sagay, Chief Sam
Amuka-Pemu, the Publisher of
Vanguard, radio gal Mashe Uwashe, are some of
those with Urhobo mothers.

This will open up unlimited opportunities
in using DNA to know the ethnic or
the ancestral origins of Anioma
people on both sides of the river Niger in
Delta North, Anambra, Rivers, etc. We need
to finally solve the rather annoying issue of
whether members of each of the communities are of Edoid, Igala,
Esan, Iboid, Yoruboid ancestries or even of mixed origins such as in Asaba, Onitsha, Ebu,
Ilah, Agbor, Ugbodu and Ukwunzu, etc.

Diaspora and Nigeria-based Ikweres of Rivers State need to do
this test from AfricanAncestry or DNALand to solve the issue of the ownership of PortHarcourt once and for all. If they are confirmed to be 100%
Ibos or VICE VERSA, then it will change
the historical narrative.

I remember in 2005, while going through
the profile of the co-founders of
AfricanAncestry [which has a large DNA
data base of African ethnic groups], they
both had Yoruba and European ancestries
of varying percentages. The Yoruba DNA
was in the maternal lineage for both of
them, but surprisingly, the male co-founder who is black and dark-skinned had a European paternal ancestry
and it points to the FACT that 1out of 4 African
American male has a DIRECT white
paternal ancestry!

This thread should be on the Front Page
because it is highly intellectual and illuminating! smiley
Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by YungMillionaire: 1:08am On Jun 02, 2017
Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Packout12: 2:20pm On Jun 02, 2017
I'm an American who just found out I'm mixed I'm half Nigerian the accent comes naturally to me. Why are some Africans offended when I speak Nigerian Pidgin English?
Re: Has Any Nigerian Done The Ancestral DNA? by Konquest: 11:36am On Jun 19, 2017
AworiLagosian:

(1) (Reply)

Fulani Man Selected By The Oyomesi As The New Alafin [Picture] / Pictures From Agila Carnival / Traditional Fulani Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.