Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,121 members, 7,818,367 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? (7476 Views)

Orlean Invest West Africa Recruiting Graduate Trainee( 2.1 Degree Required) / Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? Discussion Continues! / 2.1 Degree In Accounting Yet No Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by thematrix2(m): 10:07pm On Jan 17, 2010
When I finished my first degree, I graduated with a 2.1 (2nd class upper)
yet, I had a very difficult time securing a worthy job.

At the end of the day, I got a teaching job with a monthly N15k,
Now tell me, if you were in my shoes, will you take a job like that
considering that you don't have any other income source?

I need comments please?
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Uchek(m): 10:24pm On Jan 17, 2010
My advice is that you accept the job if you have no job presently. It does not pay but use it a means to an end - to achieve your goals and vision for your life. An adage in Igbo says "you don't stand in one place to watch the masquerade". Treat the job as if it is worth a million dollar to you. Though you are not making much, but you are using your intellect, becoming an expert in the field which you are teaching and impacting the life of your students who may be Presidents, Inventors, World changers and leaders of tomorrow.

If l had known, l would have gone into teaching when l graduated years ago. It would have led me to getting my PHD at younger age and opened a door of business opportunities completely unrelated to teaching but which l could not discover because l did not go into teaching.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by thematrix2(m): 10:37pm On Jan 17, 2010
Thank you Uchek for your candid advice.

So I'm not loosing out after all.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 17, 2010
Though i had a 2.2 i started out with a job that pays 15k but today i thank god for it, after just 18months i have a job that pays 120k, based on the experience i got from the 15k job. from a graduate traniee to a manager.

Just be focused and pray that God blesses the work of your hand.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Eggyloo: 12:25am On Jan 18, 2010
I would go for it. See it as a stepping stone to greater opportunities. Its not like some jobs when u spend =N=18,000/month on transportation (if u aim for the staff bus), penalised with a certain fee when u come late for work and yet ''slapped'' with =N=35,000 at the end of the month.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by thematrix2(m): 10:49am On Jan 18, 2010
I guess that is the ugly situation most of us face.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by chanky: 11:21am On Jan 18, 2010
If is not too far from ur house,considering the transportation fee,Is better for you to accept the job,I remembered when I graduated 2006, I was teaching in a private schl where i was been payed N12,000.Later i got a better job.You discover most people working in VI earning around N45,000,end up having less than N18,000 at the end of the month, after you have removed transport fare and feeding.So take it in good faith.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by ReachRich(m): 11:36am On Jan 18, 2010
My broda u opened this same tread in naijahotjobs.I can understand your situatn.Just like others have adviced,go & take d job & build your career from there.It is beta than remaining idle.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Ojumiii(m): 1:48pm On Jan 18, 2010
Take the job, who know were it might lead you, anyway when you get there remember me.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by onlysose(m): 1:51pm On Jan 18, 2010
Let me  begin  like this, " when  the  desirable  is  not  available  then  the  available  becomes    the  desirable" . Do  you  know that  there are   many  graduates  earning  five thousand  Naira  a  month ? . take  the  job  go  into  the environment  persive  the  opportunities around and  utilize  them ,  then  the  world  before  you.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by KlinBoy: 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2010
I started with UAC on N5,000 without computer experience. left and joined a publishing firm for 15,000 (where i learnt my computer skills). Now I'm with KPMG on a N170,000 per month. the best is get the job, read-up free materials, do free cources online (UNITAR courses) and add them to your CV. Once you get a better job, do your masters and move up.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by real4life: 1:55pm On Jan 18, 2010
Take the teaching job for now, it is better than nothing. Besides, if you work hard, you can more than double that through extra lessons for kids and other jobs you can do at the same time.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Wrex(m): 1:56pm On Jan 18, 2010
Take the job as a stepping stone to a greater one. while on the job,look for another job(surf the net,buy newspapers,network ) and don't forget to build yourself.You will make it.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by july123(m): 1:58pm On Jan 18, 2010
thematrix2:

When I finished my first degree, I graduated with a 2.1 (2nd class upper)
yet, I had a very difficult time securing a worthy job.

At the end of the day, I got a teaching job with a monthly N15k,
Now tell me, if you were in my shoes, will you take a job like that
considering that you don't have any other income source?

I need comments please?
@ poster,accept the job.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by beknown(m): 2:00pm On Jan 18, 2010
There are many good advice here from many people.

Accept it and be ready to work hard to reach greater height. Aim to move forward in the same job or another one.

If you have entrepreneurship vision, you can also explore some private work depending on your skills, experience and hobbies.

The sky can be your limit.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by faithnnaj: 2:03pm On Jan 18, 2010
Na naija we dey, anything goes here.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by felifeli: 2:05pm On Jan 18, 2010
Take it for experience sake if it is within trekking distance of where you live (obviously not your own place). Otherwise you may be better off selling phone recharge card or pure water and I am not being wicked with my advice. Lastly don't start a family on this else your life is ruined.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by beneezy(m): 2:06pm On Jan 18, 2010
The degree has nothing to do with the success
Mine is a Third Class but my salary is N150,000 not with my universisty certificate that i spent 5yrs but just a computer program as simple as autoCAD that i learnt on my own in barely 5months.
You degree is good. But i will recommend u mix it with faith and and position yourself for opportunity.
Am waiting for you at destination SUCCESS
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by felifeli: 2:09pm On Jan 18, 2010
faith_nnaj:

Na naija we dey, anything goes here.

I have seen graduates getting paid minimum wage in UK and USA for your info and as temps !
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by wales(m): 2:10pm On Jan 18, 2010
You need to jump for it, since you don't have anyother one for now, which i know God will make you happy very soon  grin grin grin
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by felifeli: 2:13pm On Jan 18, 2010
On the brighter side it is good that younger Nigerians are getting wise to the fact that degree means jack; you need to get a marketable skill instead to make it in life. Bill Gates didn't go getting no 1st class uni degree,
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by princekevo(m): 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2010
My brother dey say, at all at all, na him bad pass.
half bread is far better than chin chin. A bird at hand worths million in the bush.
Hold on to what you got at hand, keep hoping and praying for the best.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Nezan(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2010
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. Accept the job and MOVE ON

^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by hafees: 2:32pm On Jan 18, 2010
My brother if u are taking that teaching job put your mind to 2 things, 1: u might end up as a struggling teacher for the rest of your life , 2: u might get lucky and move on. Frankly it is not a must to get a job working for somebody, my advise is if you can do fone calls and sell recharge u will earn more than that monthly and have time to write applications and attend interviews. School will not give u time, a cousin of mine was fired because he wanted to do interview with shell and the propritress was angry.

Again if you can organise home lessons for kids/family friends you will end more than that, school go use u so tay u will have cancer of the throat and brain. some schools even lock teachers and student inside the compound so no going out until 2pm. Think of what you can do, meanwhile put ur cv on all the hr consultants company sites and sharpen ur interview skills. My 10 kobo advice .May God help you
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Teminio: 2:36pm On Jan 18, 2010
Take it, such is usually a stepping stone to a greater height
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by neonet(m): 2:38pm On Jan 18, 2010
Bros, the first job that i got they started me with N19,550.Since then, i have worked with 3 firms and right now i am earning 200k plus.my advice to you is keep on struggling and never give up.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by newdeal(m): 2:41pm On Jan 18, 2010
Let me encourage you with this personal experience:

After I graduated, I went in for the 2002 Naval Short Service intake {that was all I ever wanted to do}. I got to the final stage but was schemed out for a candidate of the then F.O.C Eastern Naval Command, {the man was involved in the Missing Ship saga and later got dismissed from service}

I then headed to Anambra. I picked up a teaching job in a secondary school whose only external examination then was the one conducted by NABTEB {National Business & Technical Educations Board} and my monthly pay then was 8k. {yes! eight thousand naira only}. This was 2003. Despite the poor pay, I threw myself at the Job as if my life depended on it. In 2004, the position of Principal became vacant and the Bishop who owns the school told me to take over, even though I was not from that part of the country, and there were many teachers there who were older and more experienced than I was. I took the challenge. The following year, 2005, we became a center for both WAEC & NECO, suddenly, a school that had 250-260 students began to record 100 students in one class alone. That was when your man began to make some reasonable savings.
While there, I got involved with the Nigerian Red Cross Society and became the Youth Adviser for my area, as well, I took time out to obtain a professional qualification in management through distant learning.

When I was to apply for the visa that brought me to the UK in 2006, all the experiences and the qualification I mentioned came in handy to give the final push in my favour. Today, that era of 8 tons a month, like the Dinos, is gone, FOREVER  cheesy

Don't let the low pay discourage you, just do what you have to do with all you've got and before you know it, things will begin to work themselves out in your favour. Above all, remain focused on God, if you believe He Lives!
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by MrCrackles(m): 2:44pm On Jan 18, 2010
Topic. . . .

I wont. . .I will be better off driving my father around as i will prolly get 10x 15grand. . . .
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 18, 2010
Well, you know that a breast with the nipple already in the mouth is worth more than 5 millions breasts still caged in the bra. Accept the job, keep busy and keep looking out.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 18, 2010
Well, you know that a breas.t with the nippl.e already in the mouth is worth more than 5 millions breas.t still caged in the bra. Accept the job, keep busy and keep looking out.
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by oluclem(m): 2:51pm On Jan 18, 2010
macfarland:

Well, you know that a breas.t with the nippl.e already in the mouth is worth more than 5 millions breas.t still caged in the bra. Accept the job, keep busy and keep looking out.

lol cheesy cheesy
Re: Can You Accept N15,000/month With A 2.1 Degree? by blapo(m): 2:51pm On Jan 18, 2010
Just take the Job first, and start looking for others. A bird at hand is better than hundred in the bush.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibadan Electricity Company (IBEDC) Plc Fresh Job Recruitment (3 Positions) / FORTE OIL Calls For Submission Of Cv / Would You Sign An Offer Letter With An Acceptance Deadline Of 24 Hours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.