Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Tenants That Never Pay On Time - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Tenants That Never Pay On Time (263 Views)

Tenants To Pay 6% Stamp Duty - FIRS Tells Landlords & Property Agents / Novare Tenants Get 4-Month Free Rent In Abuja And Lagos / Marlians Not Allowed In My House, Landlord Issues Warning To Tenants - More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tenants That Never Pay On Time by citygoldholding(m): 1:48pm On May 31, 2017
Tenants That Never Pay On Time
Leave a reply

I used to be too timid to ask these kinds of questions. It was easier to say “Ok” and not ask any questions. Unfortunately, I run across many landlords who just don’t want to “confront” the tenant or make him mad or don’t feel right asking those questions.

Remember, this is YOUR house! By not asking questions and making your tenant answer to you, allows the tenant to run your business instead of the other way around. Do not change the way you do business just because your tenant can’t or won’t follow your rules! Get rid of that tenant and find another one who will follow your rules. There is just no reason to keep a tenant that never pays on time. It’s bad for your bottom line.

Many times they will ask if you can waive the late fees this time. You will have to decide what your policy is on this and I have heard lots of different opinions on this subject. Once a tenant has been with us for a year, we will waive late fees once a year but we note it in Quick Books so that we can keep track.

We do not waive late fees during the first year, because if you don’t train them from the start, you will have tenants that never pay on time.

*If you waive late fee the first year, you train your tenant not to pay on time

Handling Tenants that Never Pay on Time

I was talking to a landlord the other day with a problem tenant. The woman moved into the rental house in January 2012 and has paid late every single year. This tenant is not very nice and has a new excuse every single time. The landlord felt bad for the tenant at first but that changed as time went on. The landlord didn’t charge late fees until the January 2016, rent was late and when she added them to the bill the tenant threw a fit! She asked me what I thought I should do.

I asked her if she wanted to try and work with the tenant and keep her or if she just wanted to get her out and start over. She was sick of dealing with her and just wanted to get her out. My advice to her was to follow her lease which spelled out how to deal with this situation.

Tenant that Never Pay On Time Cost You A Lot Of Money

Steps for Getting Rid of Problem Tenants that Never Pay On Time

A tenant at *WILL*
The first step in this instance is to send the 7 day warning to recover possession letter through your agent/solicitor.

Many times a tenant that has been difficult will see that you mean business, that you are willing to get them out of the house and they will straighten up. This has happened to me and the tenant ended up paying on time and being a good tenant. Other times, the tenant doesn’t have any intention of paying on time and needs to go. Only you can decide if you want to work with this tenant or not. If you don’t just follow the process and the tenant will either move out or you can set him out.

If the tenant refused to honor or fail to come up with his/her rent payment, ask your agent to issue him summon to court.

At this junction most tenants usually avoid court appearance and leave the house
on or before the expiration of the NOTICE.
However, if the tenant proof to be stubborn, initiate ejection proceedings against him and send him packing through court judgement.

Keep in mind that if you accept any money from the tenant during this process, you have to start over! If you want the tenant gone, do not accept any money.

Know the laws of the land or you will end up in trouble and with a tenant still living in your house that is not paying rent.

Dealing with problem tenants is part of ou job. It is never fun but if you have a policy in place for dealing with them, it does make your job easier.

Let us help you avoid the mistakes and many others, have made over the year.
For our services: Citygold Integrated Business Limited, Property Managers & Consultants.
kindly visit our office at : N02 Adeleke Close, Off Liberty,Road, Ibadan.

Tel:+2348104967138.
+2348140256418.

(1) (Reply)

Land Available In Orangeville Estate / A Plot Of Land In Okato Ago Palace Area For Sale Price 22m / Buy Plot Of Land At Victoria Spring Courts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.