Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

The Palava Of Cheap Alternatives. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Palava Of Cheap Alternatives. (422 Views)

Six Alternatives To Bitcoin You Should Consider - Bitcoin Alternatives / Alternatives To Gas Chromatography / Best Free Alternatives To Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Palava Of Cheap Alternatives. by Greenville990: 4:43pm On Jun 02, 2017
Sharp guy k’rash is always looking for the best bargain, believes he is on top of all negotiations and will definitely get away with the best prices. He will always brag that he can make anyone sell to him what was never intended for sale. Opting for the nearest alternative that will serve same purpose is never his problem.

Living in Lagos can be a real deal. In the midst of all this petrol scarcity makes it worse, prices of everything has jacked up. Transport fare, groceries, wears, and even bribes police and lastma take is now on the high side. I am not an expert in discussing Nigerian problems, I am in the “e go better” team.

Courtesy visit is what k’rash enjoys doing, and this cool Saturday is just right to say hello to Mayowa who lives in the outskirts of Lagos. Now he has to remain on top of his game so as to maintain his bragging rights. But this bus conductors have hiked the bus fare. Mile 2 to Oshodi is now 200 Naira. ‘How man go do na’ ? This trip cost 70-100 Naira on a good day na!!!

He isnt from warri but he is sure not to carry last. See ‘Ise Oluwa’ mass transit bus approaching. These bus run on diesel he quickly thought, that means the 50 Naira rate should be intact. Like a veteran at jumping buses he grabs the handle of the moving bus and the conductor cuffed his waist with the left hand, assisting the sweating passenger onto the landing steps of the bus. After showing gratitude to the kind business minded conductor, he attempts to make his way onto a seat or possibly a safe place to stand and hold on to a top-railing. He was startled to find out, he was an additional burden to the already overflowing bus.

The rest of the journey was a story to be told to even generations to come as the experience is always a reference when essays like “the day I will never forget” is asked in GNS exams later in his University life. The air was hot, intense, stagnant, doused with several terrible body odors, the exhaust fume from the vehicle was seaping freely from the broken windows.

A micro climate so terrible that one would imagine the death of all on board before they get to their Oshodi destination was created. They were all choking but failed to acknowledge because the bus was cheaper. So we are willing so give up on our health just to get an immediate need of transiting from one place to the other. We take the options that risk the future in all matters. We deface the earth by felling trees indiscriminately for our immediate need of an apòtí. A tree provides oxygen for about 4 persons yet we don’t care, that same tree will conserve water, we don’t care, that tree holds the earth together, we don’t care; all we want is a cheap source of energy.

Just like k’rash we have began to suffer our love for cheap alternatives. Heat wave, mud slide, earthquake, epidemic diseases like Ebola and lassa ( we displaced these animals from their original habitat) , water related problems, drought, unpredictable weather, crop failure, food insecurity. If you free me……I can go on and on

I believe living sustainably and conservatively is not popular but it is the right to do. Reduce the emissions of greenhouse gases, recycle wastes and reuse items that could be reused.

This is my first post on Nairaland, please feel free to critique me constructively

1 Like

Re: The Palava Of Cheap Alternatives. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 02, 2017
For the avoidance of doubt, I hope you have traveled to saner climes. Green is already in our flag, we cannot afford to go green twice!

1 Like

Re: The Palava Of Cheap Alternatives. by Greenville990: 4:57pm On Jun 02, 2017
This experience is cool........ To be honest, (especially in this holy month of Ramadhan), I have only read of the said "saner climes". The going green I meant isn't just an appellation or some physical color on a flag. I meant a change of attitude. THANKS FOR BEING MY FIRST READER.
TarOrfeek:
For the avoidance of doubt, I hope you have traveled to saner climes.
Green is already in our flag, we cannot afford to go green twice!
Re: The Palava Of Cheap Alternatives. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 02, 2017
Greenville990:
This experience is cool........ To be honest, (especially in this holy month of Ramadhan), I have only read of the said "saner climes". The going green I meant isn't just an appellation or some physical color on a flag. I meant a change of attitude. THANKS FOR BEING MY FIRST READER.

I may understand what you mean. But economically we can't 'afford' to go green. My grand mama go come they buy kerosene or cooking gas.
No! before she roast my grandfather scatter.

(1) (Reply)

Unbelievable - Breathable, Wearable Electronics On Skin.. / Repair Dead Phone / Hire A Professional Masseur/masseuse On Workclick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.