Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,039 members, 7,828,652 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Igbos And Igbos Should Have A Rethink... - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Igbos And Igbos Should Have A Rethink... (440 Views)

Yorubas And Igbos In Our Corpers Lodge / BIAFRA:Video Of Israelites And Igbos Celebrating Biafra Heroes Day 30th May 2018 / This Is Pure Wickedness And That Is What Igbos Are Struggling For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Igbos And Igbos Should Have A Rethink... by badnigga666(m): 10:41am On Jun 04, 2017
ON THE SIT -AT- HOME ORDERS BY IPOB AND WHY MAJORITY IGBOS DON'T BELIEVE IN THE BIAFRA REPUBLIC...
========================
The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) must be told that it shows lack of a sound knowledge of many countries in the world for one to believe that the only way to have unity or progress or development is to have a country with people that speak same language and practice same religion. South- Sudan the newest country in the world is still struggling for peace from 2011 to date. For IPOB to achieve Biafra in my view,the movement should start by convincing the Igbos to relocate their businesses back home.

In my modest understanding, majority of Igbos do not want Biafra Republic even if they believe in it. Majority of them still want united Nigeria for obvious reasons. Arguably there are more Igbos in other parts of Nigeria than the total numbers of Igbos in the five (5) states of Abia, Anambra, Enugu, Imo and Ebonyi including Bendel Igbos and Ikweres who are seen as Igbo cousins by some people. Arguably, also, the Igbos have more investments in other parts of Nigeria than the total number of investments in the South East. More so, the Igbos ,arguably, have more landed assets in other parts of Nigeria than in Igboland.

Those Igbos in South- East who have never gone out of South- East Geopolitical zone need to be reminded that majority of their kinsmen prefer to stay in other parts of Nigeria and do their businesses than in the East. For instance, the thousands of Igbos that left the North in answering the call for secession by the late Chief Odumegwu Ujukwu in 1967 came back to the North immediately after the civil war.

Arguably, every village in the North that has up to a population of fifty(50) people has an Igboman in it as either a provision store or pharmacy owner. Furthermore, Igbos traders in Monday market Maiduguri, Borno state ,for instance, for the six(6) years of insurgency they remained there despite repeated attacks on the market by Boko Haram members. Igbo traders in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states remained there despite the devastating attacks of Boko Haram.

However, my message to the Igbo youth is that you must say No to the instigation by your selfish political elite! You need united Nigeria more than other Nigerians! Please come with me I will explain how! I call on you to have a rethink and retrace your steps! Stop issuing quit notice to Northerners! It is true that the immediate past government gave about 50% of appointments to the “Indigbos”. My question to you is how did that make the “ordinary Igbos” richer than the rest of Nigerians? Did giving 50% appointments to the “Igbo elite” during immediate past government led to more electricity, Water supply, Good roads, hospitals, bridges to the Igbo land? The answer is NO!

Were the Igbos better than the rest of Nigerians during that period in terms of Poverty and unemployment reduction? The answer is also NO! Political appointments benefit political elite only! What the general masses need is “Dividend of Democracy" in terms of provisions of electricity, Portable Water supply, Good roads, hospitals and schools etc. In my humble opinion, you could only be marginalized if the government of President Buhari provides electricity, Portable Water supply, Good roads, hospitals and schools etc., to the rest of Nigerians and neglect the Igbos.

In my view, the renewed agitation for “Biafra” is triggered by some “selfish political elite” from that region whom might have participated in the unprecedented looting that took place during the previous government of which investigation is still ongoing. These people feared that if the present government gets stable the ongoing probes by the EFCC might caught up with them and as such they resort to instigating “youths” to cause unrest which might consume all of us if caution is not applied. We must resist this temptation!

THE IGBOS NEED UNITED NIGERIA MORE THAN OTHER NIGERIANS:

We have Igbos in the North who are University; Polytechnics ; Colleges of educations, and School of Health technology lecturers. We Igbos who are Students, Private Secondary/Primary Schools proprietors, Medical Practitioners, Architectural firms, Accounting firms, Quantity surveying firms, legal firms, Insurance companies, Stock Brokers firms, Banks, Bankers etc., carrying out their activities peacefully.

Also, 80% of Building Materials, Electronic/Electrical Appliances, Spare Parts and Pharmaceutical Equipment sellers, are Igbos. The major Markets in the North are populated by Igbos as traders. If you go to Sabon Gari Market, Kano; Monday Market, Maiduguri; Terminus Market, Jos; Sheik Abubakar Gumi Market, Kaduna and all major markets in the north are populated by Igbos doing their business without any harassment.

Most of the people from northern extraction staying in the southern part of the country or Igbo land are artisans or those who are doing “Menial Jobs”, such as: Manicuring, Pedicuring, Water Vendors, Butchers, Cobbler (shoe shiners), Tomatoes sellers, and others Menial Jobs. One must also acknowledge the few federal government civil servants there.

We are aware that you do not admit our students in your schools; you do not even sale shops to us to do business as petty traders, but you only give rent to Northerners. You do not sale a plot of land for us to build residential Houses, but you only give us as rent. We have never complaint! We sale Houses, and Shops etc to Igbos in the North.

Some people believe that because of our “ethnic” and “religious” diversities” we cannot co-exist peacefully. India has over 1,000 ethnic groups and India is the most multi-religious nation in the world but the country is progressing rapidly.

Prof. Farooq Kperogi said, “Many Nigerians think our country is unworkable because it was “forced” into being by the British colonialists. This view frankly amazes me, “he added,Is there any nation in history whose formation was the consequence of a democraticconsensus?”Also, “Historically, most nations were formed by conquests, expansionist wars, and forceful cooperation, not by consensus.”Furthermore, “many Nigerians also cherish the illusion that they inhabit the most diverse country on planet earth”.

Jideofor Adibe in his Thursday column (back page) Daily Trust of October 10, 2013 states that: “Ethnic Homogeneity is no guarantee that any nation will work as the experiences of Somalia, Burundi and Rwanda show. Similarly we have had countries break up after co-existing for nearly a century .We have also seen countries that started as agglomeration of different ethnic nationalities such as Germany, France and China succeeds as nation-state.”On the same note he added, “Being endowed with abundant national resources is no guarantee that a country will thrive as the cases of Democratic Republic of Congo and Liberia illustrate.”

However, It is on record that, we witnessed centuries of civil wars among the Yorubas (Ife and Mudakeke) who share ethnic ties with dialectical differences; we are also aware of civil wars among the Hausa states in the pre-colonial era. The case of Omulari and Ogulari struggle in the Igbo land is also not left out. Nevertheless, the pre-colonial era in the South-South witnessed a series of civil and communal wars.

All the zones of the federation have their socio- economic problems and developmental challenges. Let's demand for social justice within the context of Nigeria. Let's all Nigerians continue to demand for good governance.

Together we stand and divided we fall! May God Bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Igbos Should Have A Rethink... by taylor88(m): 10:42am On Jun 04, 2017
begging for one Nigeria

ur juju version has been outdated

upgrade my noggor
Re: Igbos And Igbos Should Have A Rethink... by NATIONALPASTOR: 12:23pm On Jun 04, 2017
Unity Beggars everywhere you go.

The Igbos don't want again, abi Na by force?

(1) (Reply)

Cdq Makes Jest Of Dammy Krane Over His Arrest For Credit Card Fraud In Miami / Expert Warns Nigerians Not To Kill Mosquitoes / I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.