Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment (617 Views)

Uniben Law Student Destiny Ogedegbe, Graduates With First Class, Becomes Second / University Of Ibadan Law Student Jumps To Her Death During A Show / UNILAG Law Student Makes Ankara Ties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 04, 2017
Please abeg biko help me out here i havnt been able to do this assignment, the stuff is confusing me

Law of torts assignment

John a year two student in the department of insurance, university of Benin fresh from his knowledge of the tort of trespass to person, has result to commence an action against his roommate Tobi for threatening to stab him with their kitchen knife after a hitted argument.

(a) determine the appropriate action to be commenced by john and his chances of succeeding

(b) would your choice of action differ if Tobi had given John a friendly slap in the course of the action?

Support your answer with appropriate legal authority
Re: Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment by pressplay411(m): 11:33pm On Jun 04, 2017
Interesting. Over to the the Legal Eagles in the house.
Re: Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 05, 2017
pressplay411:
Interesting. Over to the the Legal Eagles in the house.
any one nor gree come out o
Re: Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment by AmanRoyal(f): 9:36am On Jun 05, 2017
TRESPASS TO THE PERSON
ASSAULT
An assault is an act which intentionally causes another person to apprehend the infliction of immediate, unlawful, force on his person.

It was said in R v Meade and Belt (1823) 1 Lew CC 184, that 'no words or singing are equivalent to an assault'. However, the House of Lords have more recently stated that an assault can be committed by the Court of Appeal in R v Constanza [1997] Crim LR 576.

It is much more authoritative that words will not constitute an assault if they are phrased in such a way that negatives any threat that the defendant is making. See:

Tuberville v Savage (1669) 86 ER 684

Stephens v Myers (1830) 172 ER 735

The claimant must have reasonably expected an immediate battery. Thus in Stephens v Myers (1830) 172 ER 735, the defendant made a violent gesture at the plaintiff by waiving a clenched fist, but was prevented from reaching him by the intervention of third parties. The defendant was liable for assault.
Re: Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment by AmanRoyal(f): 9:38am On Jun 05, 2017
PART B

CONSENT

Consent may be given expressly by words or be implied from conduct.

A person is deemed to consent to a reasonable degree of physical contact as a result of social interaction (see Collins v Wilcock, above).

Those who take part in sports also consent to a reasonable degree of physical contact during the course of play, ie within the rules, even to the risk of being unintentionally injured. However, there can be no consent to deliberate acts of violence (R v Billinghurst [1978] Crim LR 553).

What is meant by 'informed consent' and does English law recognise such a doctrine? Informed consent is the notion that consent is not valid unless all the risks of a surgical procedure have been explained. A person may not bring an action, in trespass or negligence, on the ground that they had not been informed of the potential consequences.

The issue in trespass is whether the patient consented to what was being done, and the issue in negligence is whether the patient should have been informed of the risks.

Every adult has the right to refuse medical treatment even if it will result in permanent injury or even death. However, a person may de deprived of his capacity to decide either by long term mental incapacity or temporary factors such as unconsciousness or confusion or the effects of fatigue, shock, pain or drugs. In such a case, it is the duty of the doctors to treat him in whatever way they consider, in the exercise of their clinical judgment, to be in his best interests.
Re: Plsss Any LAW Student/lawyer That Can Help Me With This Assignment by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 05, 2017
AmanRoyal:

PART B

CONSENT

Consent may be given expressly by words or be implied from conduct.

A person is deemed to consent to a reasonable degree of physical contact as a result of social interaction (see Collins v Wilcock, above).

Those who take part in sports also consent to a reasonable degree of physical contact during the course of play, ie within the rules, even to the risk of being unintentionally injured. However, there can be no consent to deliberate acts of violence (R v Billinghurst [1978] Crim LR 553).

What is meant by 'informed consent' and does English law recognise such a doctrine? Informed consent is the notion that consent is not valid unless all the risks of a surgical procedure have been explained. A person may not bring an action, in trespass or negligence, on the ground that they had not been informed of the potential consequences.

The issue in trespass is whether the patient consented to what was being done, and the issue in negligence is whether the patient should have been informed of the risks.

Every adult has the right to refuse medical treatment even if it will result in permanent injury or even death. However, a person may de deprived of his capacity to decide either by long term mental incapacity or temporary factors such as unconsciousness or confusion or the effects of fatigue, shock, pain or drugs. In such a case, it is the duty of the doctors to treat him in whatever way they consider, in the exercise of their clinical judgment, to be in his best interests.

thank you sir God bless you

(1) (Reply)

Ow A UNIZIK Student Proposed To His Girl Friend In The Bus / 28% Fail Law School Resit Exams / Study On Low Tuition In Saudi Arabia Plus Tuition Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.