Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! (955 Views)

Success, Sapele Schoolgirl Wants To Be A Lawyer, How her life has changed now / Uniben Law Student Destiny Ogedegbe, Graduates With First Class, Becomes Second / University Of Ibadan Law Student Jumps To Her Death During A Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 05, 2017
Please abeg biko help me out here i havnt been able to do this assignment, the stuff is confusing me

Law of torts assignment

John a year two student in the department of insurance, university of Benin fresh from his knowledge of the tort of trespass to person, has result to commence an action against his roommate Tobi for threatening to stab him with their kitchen knife after a hitted argument.

(a) determine the appropriate action to be commenced by john and his chances of succeeding

(b) would your choice of action differ if Tobi had given John a friendly slap in the course of the action?

Support your answer with appropriate legal authority
Re: If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by LUGBE: 9:45am On Jun 05, 2017
I will start by informing you to learn how to do your assignment with little guide, i did so about 14years ago and it helped me. Because of time i can only highlight, then you develop.

JNote: John has resolved and not result.

a. You should Take your mind to threat to life, limiting it to assault. You should know the difference between assault and battery. Build on it with sections in Criminal Act.
Note: The act of Tobi (assault) is an offence under the Law, John can Succeed if he sues Tobi with help of decided cases, laws , witnesses and if possible past record of Tobi can be cited.

B). Yes, my cause of action will differ, that action amounts to battery because it has caused bodily harm,then. Law has not recognized a friendly slap. Cite decided cases and Criminal Act on battery cases.

Too busy to continue,
Re: If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 05, 2017
LUGBE:
I will start by informing you to learn how to do your assignment with little guide, i did so about 14years ago and it helped me. Because of time i can only highlight, then you develop.

JNote: John has resolved and not result.

a. You should Take your mind to threat to life, limiting it to assault. You should know the difference between assault and battery. Build on it with sections in Criminal Act.
Note: The act of Tobi (assault) is an offence under the Law, John can Succeed if he sues Tobi with help of decided cases, laws , witnesses and if possible past record of Tobi can be cited.

B). Yes, my cause of action will differ, that action amounts to battery because it has caused bodily harm,then. Law has not recognized a friendly slap. Cite decided cases and Criminal Act on battery cases.

Too busy to continue,

please help me analyze this answers

Part A

TRESPASS TO THE PERSON

ASSAULT

An assault is an act which intentionally causes another person to apprehend the infliction of immediate, unlawful, force on his person.

It was said in R v Meade and Belt (1823) 1 Lew CC 184, that 'no words or singing are equivalent to an assault'. However, the House of Lords have more recently stated that an assault can be committed by the Court of Appeal in R v Constanza [1997] Crim LR 576.

It is much more authoritative that words will not constitute an assault if they are phrased in such a way that negatives any threat that the defendant is making. See:

Tuberville v Savage (1669) 86 ER 684

Stephens v Myers (1830) 172 ER 735

The claimant must have reasonably expected an immediate battery. Thus in Stephens v Myers (1830) 172 ER 735, the defendant made a violent gesture at the plaintiff by waiving a clenched fist, but was prevented from reaching him by the intervention of third parties. The defendant was liable for assault.
Re: If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jun 05, 2017
PART B

CONSENT

Consent may be given expressly by words or be implied from conduct.

A person is deemed to consent to a reasonable degree of physical contact as a result of social interaction (see Collins v Wilcock, above).

Those who take part in sports also consent to a reasonable degree of physical contact during the course of play, ie within the rules, even to the risk of being unintentionally injured. However, there can be no consent to deliberate acts of violence (R v Billinghurst [1978] Crim LR 553).

What is meant by 'informed consent' and does English law recognise such a doctrine? Informed consent is the notion that consent is not valid unless all the risks of a surgical procedure have been explained. A person may not bring an action, in trespass or negligence, on the ground that they had not been informed of the potential consequences.
The issue in trespass is whether the patient consented to what was being done, and the issue in negligence is whether the patient should have been informed of the risks.

Every adult has the right to refuse medical treatment even if it will result in permanent injury or even death. However, a person may de deprived of his capacity to decide either by long term mental incapacity or temporary factors such as unconsciousness or confusion or the effects of fatigue, shock, pain or drugs. In such a case, it is the duty of the doctors to treat him in whatever way they consider, in the exercise of their clinical judgment, to be in his best interests.
Re: If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by Awolumote(m): 7:44pm On Jun 05, 2017
You are only asking a lawyer or brilliant student to click your link for asking am answer to a question on what has been taught but only twisted. It shows you are not smart and dedicated to your studies. Learn how to discuss this kind of issues with yiut study group in your department.
Re: If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 05, 2017
Awolumote:
You are only asking a lawyer or brilliant student to click your link for asking am answer to a question on what has been taught but only twisted. It shows you are not smart and dedicated to your studies. Learn how to discuss this kind of issues with yiut study group in your department.

I understand your point sir. well next time I surely will.. tnks
Re: If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by LUGBE: 9:46pm On Jun 06, 2017
Ajehswag:
please help me analyze this answers

Part A

TRESPASS TO THE PERSON

ASSAULT

An assault is an act which intentionally causes another person to apprehend the infliction of immediate, unlawful, force on his person.

It was said in R v Meade and Belt (1823) 1 Lew CC 184, that 'no words or singing are equivalent to an assault'. However, the House of Lords have more recently stated that an assault can be committed by the Court of Appeal in R v Constanza [1997] Crim LR 576.

It is much more authoritative that words will not constitute an assault if they are phrased in such a way that negatives any threat that the defendant is making. See:

Tuberville v Savage (1669) 86 ER 684

Stephens v Myers (1830) 172 ER 735

The claimant must have reasonably expected an immediate battery. Thus in Stephens v Myers (1830) 172 ER 735, the defendant made a violent gesture at the plaintiff by waiving a clenched fist, but was prevented from reaching him by the intervention of third parties. The defendant was liable for assault.

I am really busy with preparation for appearance, you know what i mean.

Limit yourself to threat to life, and not trespass, Tobi has not trespassed because Tobi and John are room mate as the scenario portrayed.

Law of Tort is one of the easiest and reasonable cause you will find stress free if you are articulated.

Success
Re: If You're Not A Lawyer Or Sound Law Student Dont Click!! by Amgreat70(m): 2:13am On Jun 07, 2017
Guy I would have loved to help out but I ve jurisprudence work to do....
Besides where is ur Ese malami law of tort textbook,and I hope u can differentiate between assault and battery..... Especially wen it comes to threat to life....
And learn how to use Irac system in answering problem questions.

(1) (Reply)

Any Update On Federal Polytechnic Nekede ND Form? / Nigerian Police Declared A Kwararafa University Student [miss. Susan] Wanted / Unilorin Latest Uprates Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.