Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop (6275 Views)

Benefit Of Turmeric, The Most Sort For Herbs / Kaduna Dry Port Exports 5 Containers Of Ginger Weekly / After 7 Months Of Cultivation, Nigerian Soldier Harvests Her Rice (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 11:04am On Jun 05, 2017
Introduction:
Ginger/turmeric is well known in many human communities around the world. They are the underground rhizome of a perennial tropical crop called ginger plant(zingiber officinale and curcuma longa)

originally, the plant is native of south Eastern Asia but over centuries has been introduced to various parts of the world like the Caribbeans, the Americas and Africa. Presently, the top growers of the crop includes Jamaica, Indonesia, Fiji etc.

A mature ginger/turmeric rhizome is fibrous and has texture. The outer skin of the rhizome is brownish in colour while the inner flesh depending on the variety may be red, yellow or white.

Ginger In Nigeria:
Nigeria is one of the top producers of gingers/turmeric in the world. In Nigerian market ginger is well known in states like Gombe, Bahuchi, Benue, Nassarawa, among others are major producers of the crop.

Presently, the cultivation has been extended to Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Oyo states. In the market, ginger is available in various forms; fresh ginger rhizome, powder ginger and dry ginger rhizome.

Why Ginger/Turmeric
1. Ginger and Turmeric has high returns on investment.

2. Ready made market

3. Least affected by disease and pest.

4. The life cycle is short.

Other things to know about this golden crop. a.k.a Alert
Climatic requirement
Suitable soil for Ginger and Turmeric
Land preparation
Ginger/turmeric sourcing
Spacing
Seed rate
Time of planting
Planting
Cropping system
Planting materials
Mulching
Weed control
Fertilization
Pest and disease
Harvesting
Curring, boiling, drying(post harvest handling)
Expected yield
Uses of Ginger/Turmeric.

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2017
Cc: seun, lalasticlala
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 10:11pm On Jun 06, 2017
Ginger

1 Like

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 10:14pm On Jun 06, 2017
Turmeric

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by oyimaliski: 8:46pm On Jun 07, 2017
Aare2050:
Introduction:
Ginger/turmeric is well known in many human communities around the world. They are the underground rhizome of a perennial tropical crop called ginger plant(zingiber officinale and curcuma longa)

originally, the plant is native of south Eastern Asia but over centuries has been introduced to various parts of the world like the Caribbeans, the Americas and Africa. Presently, the top growers of the crop includes Jamaica, Indonesia, Fiji etc.

A mature ginger/turmeric rhizome is fibrous and has texture. The outer skin of the rhizome is brownish in colour while the inner flesh depending on the variety may be red, yellow or white.

Ginger In Nigeria:
Nigeria is one of the top producers of gingers/turmeric in the world. In Nigerian market ginger is well known in states like Gombe, Bahuchi, Benue, Nassarawa, among others are major producers of the crop.

Presently, the cultivation has been extended to Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Oyo states. In the market, ginger is available in various forms; fresh ginger rhizome, powder ginger and dry ginger rhizome.

Why Ginger/Turmeric
1. Ginger and Turmeric has high returns on investment.

2. Ready made market

3. Least affected by disease and pest.

4. The life cycle is short.

Other things to know about this golden crop. a.k.a Alert
Climatic requirement
Suitable soil for Ginger and Turmeric
Land preparation
Ginger/turmeric sourcing
Spacing
Seed rate
Time of planting
Planting
Cropping system
Planting materials
Mulching
Weed control
Fertilization
Pest and disease
Harvesting
Curring, boiling, drying(post harvest handling)
Expected yield
Uses of Ginger/Turmeric.

What is d planting requirement... Pls detail it
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 11:38pm On Jun 07, 2017
oyimaliski:

What is d planting requirement... Pls detail it
We are taking it step by step sir. The next subtopic is the Climatic requirement.
Stay tuned Thanks.
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by farydah: 3:51am On Jun 08, 2017
Aare2050:
Ginger
bros this is turmeric
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by farydah: 3:52am On Jun 08, 2017
Aare2050:
Turmeric
and this is ginger
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 5:14am On Jun 08, 2017
farydah:
bros this is turmeric
farydah:
and this is ginger
farydah:
bros this is turmeric

I discovered that after uploading.
I've tried to rectify it but not working.

Thanks for calling my attention
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by farydah: 7:21pm On Jun 08, 2017
Aare2050:

I discovered that after uploading. I've tried to rectify it but not working.
Thanks for calling my attention
ok nice. best wishes
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 9:32am On Jun 21, 2017
Land preparation already done. Ridges next..

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 6:39pm On Jul 05, 2017
Work in progress. Pictures soon
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 10:32pm On Jul 17, 2017
Work continue
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 10:16am On Jul 24, 2017
Growth stsrts

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 11:25am On Jul 31, 2017
Growth update

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by thomasfinerealt: 2:16pm On Nov 30, 2017
Aare2050:
Growth stsrts
Good afternoon please do you sell the seedlings or roots if yes please my email address is adesojielias@gmail.com I want to go into the farming of ginger and turmeric what is the cost of seedling � if I want o plant ginger and turmeric on an hecter each
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Aare2050(m): 3:19pm On Nov 30, 2017
thomasfinerealt:
Good afternoon please do you sell the seedlings or roots if yes please my email address is adesojielias@gmail.com I want to go into the farming of ginger and turmeric what is the cost of seedling � if I want o plant ginger and turmeric on an hecter each

Good afternoon
Message me and state what you need to know..
akbams2020@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by thomasfinerealt: 11:55am On Dec 02, 2017
Aare2050:

Good afternoon
akbams2020@gmail.com
Do you have a number I can call? Do you have a phone number
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by phoenixlor: 6:43am On Feb 03, 2018
Hello you can call me on 08153727448 i am a turmeric and ginger farmer from Southern Kaduna
Aare2050:

Good afternoon
akbams2020@gmail.com
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by olly6559: 1:24pm On Feb 04, 2018
please oh, what is the difference BTW Ginger and Turmeric
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by phoenixlor: 11:47am On Feb 05, 2018
There is a large difference although they belong to the same family.Turmeric ranges from yellow to orange in color while ginger is ash.Ginger has a peppery taste while turmeric does not.Although they have some similar uses as they have anti-inflammatory properties and burn cholesterol,
turmeric has wider applications than ginger.
olly6559:
please oh, what is the difference BTW Ginger and Turmeric
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by blecele: 3:07pm On Feb 05, 2018
please I am interested in this topic. How can get the rizhomes and at what rate. My email is obiageli7478@gmail.com and whatsapp number08119199028..please do well to continue with the the topic.
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by phoenixlor: 3:25pm On Feb 07, 2018
blecele:
please I am interested in this topic. How can get the rizhomes and at what rate. My email is obiageli7478@gmail.com and whatsapp number08119199028..please do well to continue with the the topic.
I am also a turmeric and ginger farmer from Southern Kaduna where over 80% of the ginger and turmeric in Nigeria is cultivated.I can also source the product for export quantity you can call me on 08153727448
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by phoenixlor: 3:35pm On Feb 07, 2018
Anybody interested in buying turmeric or ginger rhizomes can contact me. I also process and package .The pix are available below.[quote author=phoenixlor post=64866547]

Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by Payper(m): 8:17pm On Feb 07, 2018
phoenixlor:

I am also a turmeric and ginger farmer from Southern Kaduna where over 80% of the ginger and turmeric in Nigeria is cultivated.I can also source the product for export quantity you can call me on 08153727448
Greetings.
Please what's the price of a 40kg bag of ginger in Kaduna?
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by phoenixlor: 5:03pm On Feb 08, 2018
Payper:

Greetings.

12,000 Naira for fresh turmeric while 25,000 Naira for dried turmeric
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by muhamm3d: 6:44pm On Feb 08, 2018
Please I need fresh ginger for planting
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by musalfk: 10:16pm On Feb 08, 2018
contact me muhammad
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by musalfk: 10:20pm On Feb 08, 2018
at payper clean dry split ginger per bag for 40kg is 14k contact me.
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by slurity1: 3:15pm On Feb 18, 2018
phoenixlor:

12,000 Naira for fresh turmeric while 25,000 Naira for dried turmeric
is this your price per kg, or per ton or per bag?
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by phoenixlor: 5:01am On Feb 25, 2018
The price is per bag.
slurity1:
is this your price per kg, or per ton or per bag?
Re: Sustainable Cultivation Of GINGER/TURMERIC: The Golden Crop by phoenixlor: 5:11am On Feb 25, 2018
For fresh ginger it is 6,000 Naira while dried split ginger is 14,000 Naira
Payper:

Greetings.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Afdb Unveils Plan To Empower Nigerian Women In Agriculture / The Truth About Cocoa Farming in Nigeria / Buhari: Agric Varsities Should Tackle Dependence On Imported Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.