Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,420 members, 7,819,514 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors (6189 Views)

Ice Cream Business How Lucrative Is It? / Help Me Oo...localbitcoins.com Is Frustrating My Hustle. / Invest And Never Regret Of Doing So With DHP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Blue3k(m): 9:12pm On Jun 07, 2017
•Labour, Justice, NTDC, Customs, Immigration, NIPC, others list non-functional phone lines •Websites not updated for months; Amina Mohammed still on FMoE site as minister
•Galaxy Backbone, Servicom, others working to rectify these, says Enelamah

By Soni Daniel, Northern Region Editor, & Emma Ujah & Emmanuel Elebeke

ABUJA — The drive by the present administration to ease the burden of doing business in Nigeria may suffer a serious setback due to a major deficiency in communication flow between government agencies and foreign investors who may want to conduct enquiries before making up their minds on whether or not to invest in the country.

This is because, as Vanguard investigations show, most Nigerian Ministries, Departments and Agencies, MDAs, which are the repositories through which foreign investors could access vital investment information about the country do not have functional telephone lines.

Vanguard’s findings show that despite huge budgetary provisions for telephone and Internet services yearly, all the MDAs still list non-functional phone numbers as their means of contacts on their wobbling websites.

Apart from parading dead telephone lines, many other government agencies do not bother to indicate their contact telephone lines on their websites as obtains in other countries.

Further findings reveal that where such MDAs indicate any telephone number at all on their websites, the numbers are either not working or cannot be connected to any of the networks currently in operation in Nigeria.

Of all the federal ministries surveyed byVanguard, only the Foreign Affairs Ministry provides a GSM number: 08038883494,which however, does not ring. The contact number does not ring either in the day or night, thereby rendering it useless to local and international inquiries.

The Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission, at Plot 1181, Aguiyi Ironsi Street, Maitama District, provides two telephone lines on its website: +234 (0)9 2900059,+234 (0)9 2900061, but neither is working. The two lines report that they had been switched off when our correspondent dialled them.

The Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, lists this line: 09-5234694, which it claims belongs to its Public Relations Officer (PRO) and the same line is meant for facsimile service, which unfortunately does not work. A call to the line, returns a troubling answer: “The number you have called does not exist”.

However, three other lines provided by the NCS for people to report any activity of smugglers to the agency given as 094621597,094621598 and 094621599, ring but plays music at the background with nobody answering from the NCS.

Embarrassingly, the Nigerian Immigration Service, NIS, which is expected to prepare visas for foreigners and investors at a faster rate under the new dispensation, presents a phone number on its website: Phone: +234-9-7806771. When Vanguard dialled the number last night, it kept returning the message: “The number you are calling does not exist.”

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, which is the major revenue generator for Nigeria, has inexplicably not provided any telephone contact on its website.

It simply says on its contact page: Corporate Headquarters, NNPC Towers, Central Business District, Herbert Macaulay Way, P.M.B. 190, Garki, Abuja. General Inquiries: Please fill out the contact form below or e-mail us atcontactus@nnpcgroup.com, Website problems, Please contact the webmaster atwebmaster@nnpcgroup.com.   The Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation, which is expected to attract visitors and in the process generate revenue for the country, provides this non-functional line: +234 9 234 2764, as its major contact on its website”www.tourism.gov.ng

Like others, the NTDC contact line keeps saying the number does not exist despite repeated dials.

To worsen matters, it does not have a running website at the moment. A search on its website address: www.tourism.gov.ng,returns: “The account has been suspended, please contact your host”.

A major corporation licensed by the Nigerian Government to protect Nigerian banks and customers’ deposits, the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation, NDIC, also lists over 20 lines: Tel: (09) 460 1380 – 9 (09) 617 1380 – 9, on its website but none appears to be working. When dialled, each of the number returns: “The number you are calling does not exist.”

In the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, there is no functional telephone number listed on its website.

The only semblance of what appears as a contact telephone symbol on the ministry’s website is: Via phone: 234 xxxxx…

In the Federal Ministry of Industries, Trade and Investments, which is supposed to serve as the coordinating agency for investment drive into the country, a symbolic Nigerian telephone code is the only item placed where a telephone number should appear on the website of the ministry. It has the symbol:Phone: +234 NIGERIA

Similarly, finding shows that the strategic Ministry of Mines and Steel lists a line: +234 9 523 9064, which returns a frightening response: “The number you have called does not exist. Please check the number and dial again.”

The same problem afflicts the Ministry of Interior; whose contact line 09-6713526,promptly greets the caller with the response: “The number you have called does not exist”.

The same scenario plays out in the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, where the Phone symbol, and234 xxxxx… appears as its contact telephone line.

The Ministry of Finance  did not also provide any telephone contact on its website.

Beyond the telephone line problem which afflicts virtually all the MDAs, the updating of vital information on their websites remains another source of concern.

Information is not regularly updated on most of the MDA websites, according to our findings.

For instance, in the Ministry of Environment, the picture and bio-data of the former minister, Amina Mohammed, who had since resumed as the United Nations Deputy Secretary-General, are still running on the ministry’s website as minister, months after she had exited the ministry for New York.

The website of the Federal Ministry of Justice and Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation is currently down with Error 404showing up whenever one tries to access it for any purpose. No explanation has been given for such a flop.

The website of Ministry of Labour and Productivity: www.labour.gov.ng, is currently down with no explanation on why such a vital communication route should be non-functioning, just as its contact telephone number: +234 9 5235973, does not ring when dialled for any information pertaining to the ministry and its numerous parastatals. The good thing is that the minister, Dr. Chris Ngige, picks all his calls and still uses the same line he used before his appointment as minister.

Although the website of the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture is regularly updated, it does not also have any telephone contact to assist anyone to get prompt access to any of the top officials of the ministry.

The good thing about the ministry is that unlike most other ministers, its head,  Alhaji Lai Mohammed, answers any phone call on his mobile phone.

The Ministry of Health on the other hand, has not bothered to put a telephone symbol or any number on its website, just like the Ministry of Education.

The saving grace for the Health ministry is that the minister, Prof Isaac Adewole picks his calls and responds to text messages. Apart from answering his callers —  known or unknown — Adewole also responds to tweets and Facebook enquiries of those looking for information about his ministry.

Many other ministers only pick and answer callers who are known to them and therefore shut out genuine information seekers for investments or any other official purpose.

Less than 30% MDAs have functional website, emails – NITDA

Meanwhile, the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) has revealed that less than 30 per cent of government Ministries, Departments and Agencies   have functional website in Nigeria.

The Director General of the agency, DR. Ibrahim Isa Pantami made the disclosure, yesterday, at the 2017 Digital Africa conference and Exhibition holding at Yar’ Adua Centre, Abuja.

The NITDA boss also disclosed that only 25 per cent of the MDAs have functional mobile phone numbers across the country.

He noted that the assessment was carried out in compliance with the Executive Order signed by the Acting President, Prof.Yemi Osinbanjo , on the promotion of transparency and efficiency in the business environment, which is designed to facilitate the ease of doing business in Nigeria as it relates to the use of ICT for efficient service delivery.

Responding to the communication flaws in the MDAs, the Minister of Industries, Trade and Investments, Dr. Okechukwu Enelamah, assured that the Federal Government is taking concrete steps to address the identified lapses so as not to hamper the EDBES drive in the country.

Enelamah said in an interview with Vanguard:“All MDAs have been directed to update their websites and the Ministry of Communications and Galaxy Backbone are working with them to do so.

“Also, Ease of Doing Business Secretariat (EDBES) and Servicom as well as consultants are rolling out a massive support programme to help the MDAs overcome their communication challenges and keep them up to date in terms of communicating with the world at all times,” the minister assured.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/06/ease-businesshow-nigeria-frustrates-investors/

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Blue3k(m): 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2017
Wow the level of ineptitude in The federal government is colossal. They threw who knows how many trillions in these MDA's over the years yet only 25% have working phones lines. It makes me wonder if the government marginalization is real. Its more likely they just suck at everything they do.

The federal government has this legion of useless workers who do what all day. You don't see services and they can nearly be reached. It's probably gets worse on state and local level.

11 Likes

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 08, 2017
You don't say
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by NwaAmaikpe: 10:22am On Jun 08, 2017
angry

Thank God for Enahoro, after drinking the palmwine, Mama Ehis forgot to collect her money
So he used the money to buy Cigarette from Aboki Mustapha and dashed me the remaining change.

Ramotu then collected the change from my pocket when she was washing my boxers

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by vcente(m): 10:27am On Jun 08, 2017
I believe the government should endeavour to fix these asap,instead of promising to do so or BLAMING THE PAST GOVERNMENT

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by TheMainMan: 10:28am On Jun 08, 2017
see hw slow d thread is despite makin fp

smh undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by jayesmalling(m): 10:29am On Jun 08, 2017
Zoology
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by addisoy: 10:30am On Jun 08, 2017
A BIG SHAME !! I HAVE NOTICED THAT ALL GOVT ORGANIZATIONS ARE NOT WELL ORGANIZED, PHONE LINES DON'T GO THROUGH, WEBSITES LOOKING LIKE UNCOMPLETED SITE, EVEN THEIR WORKERS ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH. YOU CAN'T JUST COMPARE WITH PRIVATE BUSINESS SETUPS, THEY ALWAYS ON POINT.

I THINK IT BOILS DOWN TO THE ISSUE OF POOR MANAGEMENT, INADEQUATE FINANCING AND LOOTING, WHERE CONTRACTS ARE NOT FULLY EXECUTED IF YOU ASK ME.

2 Likes

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Knownpal(m): 10:30am On Jun 08, 2017
Now who is to be blame? The IT personnel or the Ministries.

Big amount are being put to table to build these websites, but improper management everywhere. Inadequate information and a ministry that just want a website for having sake.

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Sibe007(m): 10:31am On Jun 08, 2017
Abysmal

JOKERS.....all of them
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by yinkakani(m): 10:31am On Jun 08, 2017
I don't know what to type sef
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by three: 10:34am On Jun 08, 2017
One major problem with Nigeria = MAGICAL THINKING

The Deep conviction that once we have said something it will simply come to pass

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by addisoy: 10:38am On Jun 08, 2017
Blue3k:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/06/ease-businesshow-nigeria-frustrates-investors/
A BIG SHAME !! I HAVE NOTICED THAT ALL GOVT ORGANIZATIONS ARE NOT WELL ORGANIZED, PHONE LINES DON'T GO THROUGH, WEBSITES LOOKING LIKE UNCOMPLETED SITE, EVEN THEIR WORKERS ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH. YOU CAN'T JUST COMPARE WITH PRIVATE BUSINESS SETUPS, THEY ALWAYS ON POINT.

I THINK IT BOILS DOWN TO THE ISSUE OF POOR MANAGEMENT, INADEQUATE FINANCING AND LOOTING, WHERE CONTRACTS ARE NOT FULLY EXECUTED IF YOU ASK ME.

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by DeLaRue: 10:41am On Jun 08, 2017
I often field requests from foreign clients for information which I should be able to obtain on a government website, but these websites are rarely functional or have any tangible information beyond endless photos of Ministers and civil servants attending functions.

When these clients persist, I send someone on the long trip to an MDA or Ministry in Abuja, for face to face enquiry. Often, Ministry staff have no answer to basic questions and are unaware of anyone who can help. These fruitless overnight trips easily cost over N150,000.

I dont know the way out for Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by obinna2nv(m): 10:42am On Jun 08, 2017
It's so sad. This is what nepotism and mismanagement gets you.
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by 5oyad: 10:48am On Jun 08, 2017
Tomorrow civil servanta go dey shout say dem never pay them salary. Which work dem dey do. Common phone they cannot answer

3 Likes

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 08, 2017
I don't even know what to say.

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by nkwuocha: 11:11am On Jun 08, 2017
What a useless country

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 08, 2017
Shame, big collosal shame. ordinary phone line is not going through. Nigeria should just be sold to China or the highest bidder.

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by datola: 11:20am On Jun 08, 2017
Brilliant investigation by Vanguard! That is the true state of most them including the CBN.

These government agencies are just sharing the oil money. No single added value.

Have you observed when all top government officials from the president to the ministers, senators and house members write a letter, all of them end the letters with the stupid dummy sentence: "Accept the assurances of my highest regard"

They should contract all these services to highly effective professionals of the 21st century to manage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by robotix: 11:21am On Jun 08, 2017
addisoy:

lol u forgot to add nepotism.
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 08, 2017
Wow still on first page despite being in front page for hours?
Naija no like read true true o. grin

Well a perfect way of wasting time is calling any Nigerian government line. A perfect way of getting snubbed is sending emails to any Nigerian govt email grin

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by senatordave1(m): 11:35am On Jun 08, 2017
5oyad:
Tomorrow civil servanta go dey shout say dem never pay them salary. Which work dem dey do. Common phone they cannot answer
You are over correct my broda.most of these civil servants do little or nothing to our development or industrialization but takes majority of our recurrent expenditure.thats why i pray that buhari omplements the oronsaye panel report and downsize the number of m.d.a.s and also reduce our recurrent expenditure and increase capital votes.

2 Likes

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by agabusta: 11:43am On Jun 08, 2017
datola:
Brilliant investigation by Vanguard! That is the true state of most them including the CBN.

These government agencies are just sharing the oil money. No single added value.

Have you observed when all top government officials from the president to the ministers, senators and house members write a letter, all of them end the letters with the stupid dummy sentence: "Accept the assurances of my highest regard"

They should contract all these services to highly effective professionals of the 21st century to manage.

You are so on point. All of them are just earning free money.

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Paperwhite(m): 11:59am On Jun 08, 2017
Corruption everywhere.Meanwhile whither is Buhari's body odour? undecided
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Oildichotomy(m): 12:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
I haven't been so impressed with reported news in a long while by our news houses.

This news takes the cake in actually bringing out lapses that can be remedied if sincerely they want to go forward as a country.

Big Ups to vanguard. That's what investigative journalism is all about

2 Likes

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by IBBG(m): 12:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
i luv the way journalist are exposing the fraud and decay in our system. If journalist keeps this up, i see some level of sanity returning to some agencies in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by longsnake(m): 12:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
I have warned all igbos in my area never to live. Because I'm still enjoying their daughters. Pls biko....
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 08, 2017
God is Able..
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 08, 2017
And this can be another form of employment for the citizen
Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2017
All these things are true because i usually reach companies through phone lines.

Nigeria has been like a walking corpse many years ago. We are just seeing the grave effects from 2016..

Nothing is working. That's why everybody wants to work with federal govt to collect big pay for doing nothing.

What are the Senators waiting for ? Saraki should saddle his donkey, and lead his colleagues to China to study how to run an economy.
Then enact laws to revive this country.

The finance minister and CBN governor are certainly helpless.

1 Like

Re: Ease Of Doing Business: How Mdas Are Frustrating Investors by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jun 08, 2017
5oyad:

When most of them celebrate that they go to work by 10am and go home 2pm.

You can imagine.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Dump All Your Savings In Bank / Should I Use 30k To Learn Forex? / Free Information On How To Make Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.