Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,075 members, 7,811,014 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? (8533 Views)

Invest In Cashew Farming And Get Returns For 50 Years / Buy Your Cheap Farm Land, Hybrid Plantain Suckers And Cashew Seedlings(pic) / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 9:32am On Jun 08, 2017
Goodday gurus, please I have a friend that wants to invest in agriculture but he is confused between choosing from plantain farming and cashew farming. He has 10m.and its also willing to invest more in the long run. I came here for advises. Please gurus, what are your suggestions? Please advise.
Cc Hotmas
Cc world1
Cc legsupnigeria
Cc kenfarms
Cc sedulus
Cc jasper
Cc saluibello
All gurus, I need your advises. Thanks
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by kolafolabi(m): 9:42am On Jun 08, 2017
With 10 m, I advise he goes for both but if he insists on one, Cashew seed is the hottest in town but it takes 3years for a cashew tree to produce.. Plaintain takes less than 2 years... So the choice is yours

2 Likes

Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 10:04am On Jun 08, 2017
Please keep the advises coming pls. Thanks
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 10:44am On Jun 08, 2017
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Diamondcrown97(m): 12:51pm On Jun 08, 2017
Cashew nuts business is the best but it's long time investment, when I mean hot cake cashew nuts business is one...
Differences between both
*Plantain is perishable cashew nuts is not except the fruits which you can also make money from by processing it into finished goods like cashew juice
*cashew nuts business is determined by dollar value because most of the people involved in it are exporting it Out
*there are alot of Indians, Lebanese and all here in Nigeria with there warehouse ready to buy from you,
* the minimum they can buy is a full truck which is 30tonnes
* cashew season is just for 3-4 months
For more info check my signature and contact details...
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 3:31pm On Jun 08, 2017
Please keep the advises coming. Thanks
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
cashew plantation is the best and in high demands.....
I have an uncle that invested in cashew plantation in 1998 , he now cash out more than 20m from his plantation yearly. I will advise anyone to invest in this lucrative crops. the price of cashew nuts keeping doubling every year.
don't let anyone deceive you..... cashew is the true way.
it is like a treasure planted to last you for more than 50 years to come.

1 Like

Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 9:11pm On Jun 08, 2017
@sundson, how many acres or hectares is your uncle operating? Please take note that an acre is 6 plots and one hectare is 15 plots. So, how many acres is your uncle operating that makes him generate 20m yearly?

This my friend is thinking of export in the long run and he is willing to be reinvesting his profits till he gets up to 500 acres to 1000 acres for commercial exportation.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 9:11pm On Jun 08, 2017
Please gurus, keep the suggestions coming please. Thanks
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by world1(m): 11:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
karlxavier:
Goodday gurus, please I have a friend that wants to invest in agriculture but he is confused between choosing from plantain farming and cashew farming. He has 10m.and its also willing to invest more in the long run. I came here for advises. Please gurus, what are your suggestions? Please advise.
Cc Hotmas
Cc world1
Cc legsupnigeria
Cc kenfarms
Cc sedulus
Cc jasper
Cc saluibello
All gurus, I need your advises. Thanks

If your friend his not passionate about production and equipped with the right knowledge of what it take to own and run a farm please tell him to look more into the business of agriculture. He can even start as a commodity trader or an agro investor.
Let him operate along the value chain because 10m is not really much if his thinking about farming. Depending on his intending location, if his looking for good arable land with proximity to the market then the cheapest land he can get is N200k per acre.
Do you know how many acres of land he will need for plantain or cashew before he can breakeven?
Do you know how much it will cost him to do a standard total farm setup for plantain or cashew? Not to talk of mentainace.

As for the best among cashew and plantain. The answer is Plantain.
One of the thing you should always put into consideration is that (Never do or plant what you can't determine what to do with the output) what do you do with your cashew nut if there's​ no buyer or the price crashed since the produced is not 100% utilised in Nigeria yet. Can you as the farmer add value to your cashew nut? If yes are you already prepared for that? As a cashew farmer you are not in anyway a determinant factor in the industry if you aren't operating a commercial or massive cluster farm.

Agriculture is a business not a project you need to understand all it entails to succeed in your agric endeavour from A-Z before you start. Do jump into what you don't understand perfectly because you will surely​ jump out.

If your friend want a candid​ and not biased advise on Agribusiness investment then let him visit us at Highhill Agribusiness Business Development and Incubation Center (Habdec) located at Habdec Farmers Hub, Aaba/Sooro Village Via Wasimi Town, Ewekoro LGA Ogun state, Nigeria.
Zero8065220074

4 Likes

Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 3:44am On Jun 09, 2017
Thanks for your contribution sir @ world 1. Please, I need more contributions please.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by sedulus(m): 7:59am On Jun 09, 2017
For my own advice ....and a practical base plantain farmer....Plantain is more lucrative and can imaging get 600k on one acre in 8months ....

Now , With N10m now calculate how many suckers you will get to plant when just 900 pieces could only fetch u 600k in just 8months which keeps increase annually.... #10m will buy you and setup up to millions of plantain stand .Bro plantain don't die instead it keep increase annually which make the Rio more fat ...its never possible you lost on investment to plantain.... Visit : www.sedulusplantainsucker.com.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jun 09, 2017
karlxavier:
@sundson, how many acres or hectares is your uncle operating? Please take note that an acre is 6 plots and one hectare is 15 plots. So, how many acres is your uncle operating that makes him generate 20m yearly?

This my friend is thinking of export in the long run and he is willing to be reinvesting his profits till he gets up to 500 acres to 1000 acres for commercial exportation.

he is operating 200 acres of cashew plantation.
don't let them deceive you.... cashew is the way.
Nigeria generate billions of naira yearly on cashew nuts.
do your research and stick with the truth.
if you have someone as a banker, ask him or her and you will understand the kinds of billions transactions on cashew nuts deals yearly in Nigeria.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 09, 2017
Tola Fasheru, President of the Nigerian Cashew Association, told Bloomberg in an interview, that with about 160,000 hectares (395,000 acres) of land producing about 150,000 tons a year, farmers are seeking to bring an additional 340,000 hectares into cultivation to achieve industry targets. This, according to him, should raise annual export income from the product to at least $650 million from the $253 million earned in 2015.
Nigeria exports more than 80 percent of its cashew output, mostly as raw kernels, with about 60 percent of last year’s shipments going to Vietnam, according to the cashew association. “Virtually all the states in the country have the potential to grow cashew. Our sights are even beyond the 2020 target” as they seek to make cashew one of the country’s biggest exports,” Fasheru said.
Cashew is among 13 products identified by the Buhari administration under its national strategic plan to expand agricultural export income and end economic woes that made 2016 the first year of growth contraction since 1991 following the collapse of the price of oil, the country’s main export.
Nigeria is Africa’s sixth-biggest producer, ranked behind Ivory Coast, Tanzania, Burkina Faso, Ghana and Mozambique, according to the association. An output of 500,000 tons would make Nigeria Africa’s second-biggest producer.
Global demand for cashew nuts has surged 53 percent since 2010, outstripping production in at least four of the past seven years, according to the Reus, Spain-based International Nut and Dried Fruit Council. India is the leading producer with 1.73 million tons of kernels in the 2015-16 season, followed by Ivory Coast with 1.7 million tons and Vietnam with 1.1 million tons as global production rose 3 percent from previous season to 7.4 million tons, according to the council.

1 Like

Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 09, 2017
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development , Mr Audu Ogbeh , on Tuesday , said that the country would start processing its raw cashew nuts for export by 2019 .
Ogbeh made this known at the maiden edition of the 2017 First Bank Agric Expo in Lagos .
The expo is tagged : Reinventing Agriculture for Sustainable National Development .
According to him , the current worth of a tonne of roasted or processed cashew nut for export is $ 10 , 000 while the raw cashew nut is sold for $ 1 , 200 .
He said it would be better to process the nuts for export instead of exporting raw cashew nuts in order to benefit from the high cost of cashew nuts .
“ So in the next two years we will no longer export raw cashew nuts , but roast the cashew nuts for export .
“ If we produce a tonne of roasted cashew it will be sold at the international price of $ 10 , 000, whereas a tonne of raw cashew nuts sells for $ 1 , 200. ”
Ogbeh also said that Nigeria shipped a total of $ 600 , 000 worth of raw cashew nuts to Vietnam alone in 2016 .
(NAN )
Share Tweet
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 9:20am On Jun 09, 2017
Thanks for the insight @ sedulus farms. At sundson, I think the cashew should give him more than 20m yearly if he has 200 acres of cashew plantation bro. Check it well and be sure of what u are saying bro. Thanks for your contribution anyways. Please gurus, I need more suggestions please.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 09, 2017
“Cashew is Nigeria’s second largest non-oil foreign exchange earner, with a production volume of 180,000MT and an annual income of $250m. The crop has been earmarked as one of the five agro-industrial products among 13 products for diversification and it accounts for 200,000 jobs,” Faseru said
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 09, 2017
karlxavier:
Thanks for the insight @ sedulus farms. At sundson, I think the cashew should give him more than 20m yearly if he has 200 acres of cashew plantation bro. Check it well and be sure of what u are saying bro. Thanks for your contribution anyways. Please gurus, I need more suggestions please.

some of the plantations are still in their 2nd year, bcoz he keep on expanding year in year out. he started first with 100 acres of land.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jun 09, 2017
karlxavier:

I said "he now cash out more than 20m from his plantation yearly."
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 09, 2017
(NCAN) says it is excited about Oba Enitan Ogunwusi, the Ooni of Ife’s interest to invest in cashew plantation.
The National Publicity Officer of NCAN, Mr Sotonye Anga, said on Monday in Lagos that the plantation would cover 100 acres of land in Ile-Ife, Osun.
Anga said that this was coming at a time when the association was driving toward establishing new cashew plantations across the country.
The NCAN spokesperson said that existing cashew plantations were over 50 years old and the need for new ones was important.
“I am pleased to announce that the Ooni of Ife, His Royal Majesty, Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has joined Nigeria’s cashew family.
“The Ooni is now a cashew farmer and by farming cashew, we can build the future of Nigeria’s cashew and earn more foreign exchange and reduce the pressure on the Naira.
“The dynamic traditional ruler took to cashew farming so as to create jobs and make Osun the leading cashew powerhouse in Nigeria and worldwide.
“The state of the art modern cashew plantation owned by the Ooni covers over 100 acres of land in the heart of Yorubaland,’’ Anga said.
He also revealed that the opening of the plantation has been scheduled for June 7 to kick-start the 2016 cashew planting season and cashew expansion programme.
According to him, the establishment of cashew plantations will create diverse opportunities for other businesses to flourish.
He said: “Cashew plantation establishment is labour intensive and starting one has multiplier effects and creates diverse opportunities for other ancillary businesses to flourish.
“It will stimulate economic activities in rural areas, encourage urban to rural migration as people will go to where the money is and help diversify the nation’s economy.
“So, we are proud of this giant step taken by the Ooni of Ife in establishing a cashew plantation and we urge more well meaning Nigerians to do the same.
“Cashew is money making, health promoting, soil-conserving and environment friendly crop’’.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 11:38am On Jun 09, 2017
Noted. Please keep the suggestions coming please.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by karlxavier(m): 12:51pm On Jun 10, 2017
Keep them the suggestions coming please
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by femnet29(m): 11:51am On Sep 03, 2017
Plantain is more advisable, one because u don't know the future market profit of cashew, but many are are just thinking of present situation of things, but for many years ago plantain still the best,
I av good suckers of plantain with very big production with affordable prices, u can contact me, 08066725994.
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Goshiii: 12:21am On Jan 20, 2018
sundson:
cashew plantation is the best and in high demands.....
I have an uncle that invested in cashew plantation in 1998 , he now cash out more than 20m from his plantation yearly. I will advise anyone to invest in this lucrative crops. the price of cashew nuts keeping doubling every year.
don't let anyone deceive you..... cashew is the true way.
it is like a treasure planted to last you for more than 50 years to come.
Chai!! See money!! I bet when your uncle was making that investment, he was discouraged left right and center but look at him now. ���������
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by imhere: 8:23am On May 03, 2018
Cashew farming business is as lucrative as Oil Palm farming. It is a long term earning, in less than 3 years you are already making a hit.

Someone once said Agriculture is a business and not a project, that's nothing but the truth. Why don't you try cashew business out,, you will be glad you did. For now there is shortage in supply globally so marketing them isn't a problem....
http://www.enibest.com.ng/cashew-farming/

1 Like

Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by EXPORTFINANCE: 11:07am On Apr 12, 2019
Dear All,

We are a export company located in Lagos. If you have quality cashew nut of not less tha 47 KOR quantity we are ready to buy.
Please call us or whatsapp us on :08037171978 .

Payment in 3days max!....
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by EXPORTFINANCE: 5:41pm On Dec 30, 2019
CAN YOU DELIVER TO LAGOS WAREHOUSE AT A VERY COMPETITIVE PRICE?......

Hello Cashew Nut suppliers,

We are taking RCN 2020 crop in our Lagos Warehouse.

Supplier should take note of this specification:
Moisture not more than 10%
KOR - 48-50+lbs
NC- 190+

Payment on delivery after weight inspection and quality testing.

For Price confirmation...
Please call: 08037171978
08077881934 (WhattApp)
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by EXPORTFINANCE: 9:37am On Jan 13, 2020
2020 season loading..... we want 100 trucks of dried raw cashew nuts ...53+ kor, 160-175 nut count...payment immediately @ delivery to Lagos Warehouse....serious suppliers only!... call 08037171978, 08077881934 (whatsapp)
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by EXPORTFINANCE: 7:30pm On Jan 20, 2020
We want dried raw cashew nuts 2020!....
Cash on Delivery only!....
08077881934 (whats-app)
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by Chibab2: 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2020
I need a direct contact of a cashew nut farmer in Nigeria.. Please help me o.

Call 09099927776
Re: Between Plantain Farming And Cashew Farming, Which Is More Profitable? by bizzibodi(m): 10:51am On Oct 15, 2022
world1:

If your friend his not passionate about production and equipped with the right knowledge of what it take to own and run a farm please tell him to look more into the business of agriculture. He can even start as a commodity trader or an agro investor.
Let him operate along the value chain because 10m is not really much if his thinking about farming. Depending on his intending location, if his looking for good arable land with proximity to the market then the cheapest land he can get is N200k per acre.
Do you know how many acres of land he will need for plantain or cashew before he can breakeven?
Do you know how much it will cost him to do a standard total farm setup for plantain or cashew? Not to talk of mentainace.

As for the best among cashew and plantain. The answer is Plantain.
One of the thing you should always put into consideration is that (Never do or plant what you can't determine what to do with the output) what do you do with your cashew nut if there's​ no buyer or the price crashed since the produced is not 100% utilised in Nigeria yet. Can you as the farmer add value to your cashew nut? If yes are you already prepared for that? As a cashew farmer you are not in anyway a determinant factor in the industry if you aren't operating a commercial or massive cluster farm.

Agriculture is a business not a project you need to understand all it entails to succeed in your agric endeavour from A-Z before you start. Do jump into what you don't understand perfectly because you will surely​ jump out.

If your friend want a candid​ and not biased advise on Agribusiness investment then let him visit us at Highhill Agribusiness Business Development and Incubation Center (Habdec) located at Habdec Farmers Hub, Aaba/Sooro Village Via Wasimi Town, Ewekoro LGA Ogun state, Nigeria.
Zero8065220074
How can you say #10m is not enough for cashew plantation & he cannot breakeven on a cash crop were d world demand is more than d supply
How much acres does it take to breakeven?
In cashew business buyers comes for you.
He can get cheaper farmlands in my place a plot housing land is at most #50k not to talk of farmlands.
The cost of setting up a farm land varies from place to place and choice of land.if he bought land with forest he might need a bulldozer for clearing or he goes manually felling trees or using treekiller then burn d death tree in dry season to ash or use as firewood which is cheaper.
If he bought a treeless land or few trees land preparation is cheaper.
My friend he doesn't need #100m to start a cashew farm.
Dnt tell him plantain because you want to sell plantain suckers to him.
Cashew is better why
1.The main products cashew nuts is not perishable.
2.Little or no processing.
Just pluck dry & bag.
3.Can store for a year if price is not favourable to you.
4.World demand is higher than supply.
Infact you don't look for gold or crude oil cashew is gold,cocoa is gold.
5.Cashew is a cash crop a foreign exchange earner.
You can say that for plantain.what will he do if he can't get buyer for his plantain on time or he transport to the market and their is a glut bring it back home?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Super Gene Oil Palm Seedlings for Sale @Affordable Rate. Call 08136735663 now / Feasibility Study For Fish, Pig, Poultry Farming / 80 Acres Of Land Basically For Plantain Available For Cultivation In Ogbomoso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.