Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

What Happened To Google's Pixel? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What Happened To Google's Pixel? (474 Views)

See What Happened To The Hyena Found Roaming In The Streets Of Kano. Photos / Residents Gather As Elephants Are Spotted In Kebbi. See What Happened. Photos / Unexplained Phenomena Happened In Israel Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Happened To Google's Pixel? by MrGudMan(m): 5:25pm On Jun 08, 2017
At the last minute before I penned this post, I decided to do a quick research to see how much the Pixel has made in sales since it’s launch last year. Subconsciously, I had written the flagship phone as a failure even without any facts. I now have facts and my mind still hasn’t changed. The Pixel failed.

Here is an excerpt from the India Times

Pixel is lagging globally too. The smartphone has sold around 2.5 million units since its October 2016 launch, Counterpoint Research says. Analysts say Apple would have sold over 70 million phones while Samsung’s numbers would be over 80 million in the October-December period despite the latter’s trouble with flagship Galaxy Note 7, several units of which exploded or caught fire. Apple and Samsung are yet to report the numbers for the period.

I was really impressed with Pixel, I felt it had a good sleek iPhone like design, I felt it was a no brainer, and was going to break the near Monopoly Samsung has in the High-End Android market. So I can’t seem to fathom why Pixel failed.

It looks like Google was really confused at to what it wanted to do. Like how can you price yourself above the iPhone, what kind of pricing strategy is that? Talk about being the iPhone of Android. That ain’t working bruh. The android market is a different ball game. You forget that Apple has been able to sustain its ridiculously high price because it has a different OS and brings something different to the table.
Good phone, good specs, Google’s marketing and money behind and yet it hasn’t made the waves I expected it to make. Why? Because they had poor consultants advising them on their GTM Strategy.

Like, how can you explain poor sales when your biggest competitor has just been engulfed by a phone-fire-S8-incident? Pixel failed to capitalize on that fail by Samsung. Google failed to take advantage of compelling market trends at all.

And what happened to AMEA? Didn’t they get the gist about majority of total phone sales coming from AMEA? In Nigeria, I haven’t seen the Pixel in a single store yet. Had to resort to Amazon. Why? And why sign a shitty deal with Verizon in the US? How many millennials still use Verizon? Google failed woefully.

Did Google even do a proper market survey before venturing into the Smartphone market? With their checkered history over Nexus and Motorola, one would have thought that their Second Coming to be a blockbuster. All that money R&grin money spent on just Robotics? C’mon!

The Pixel doesn’t have anything special on a second look. They boast about having the best camera ever made but that’s only in low light. In bright light, the iPhone and S7 come tops. So what exactly did Pixel bring to the market? What what what?
There are talks about a Pixel 2, I can only hope Google corrects their mistake before launching Mistake 2.0
Stay True!

Miracle Roch

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

5 Foods Nursing Mothers Must Avoid / How To Control Your Computer/laptop With Your Mobile Phone / UNLOCK Any Type Of Phones Locked On Any Network - Iphone, Icloud, Samsung Etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.