Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,226 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it (2315 Views)

3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad / Help! Can I Study Medicine And Surgery With This Result? / Its Possible To Study Undergraduate Degree For Free In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 10, 2017
I write this piece, not to disparage any course, but to encourage those stuck in the valley of indecision, because of wrong, misinterpreted, and over hyped information mostly propagated by medical doctors and their relatives. They give people the ridiculous idea that their course is the toughest there is and make well deserving student loose hope before even trying. Don't get me wrong, for I know agree that it take courage and nerve to be one.

I once saw a relative of mine pick JAMB form and chose Human Physiology, I asked the really naive kid what he was doing and he said he wanted to secure admission the following session, it was a hard battle for us as I told him with human physiology he would end up at best a quack, hiding his identity to do Ultrasound scan for doctors who may be no better than him. I advised him to choose Medicine and that once he gets in, he'll scale through if determined enough. He heeded my instructions and months ago he called to tell me he have finally become the doctor fear and intimidation almost robbed him of.

Some may ask why I had the boldness to give such advice, it's because while the assertion that we can do anything we choose to do is a lie (for example, it is totally impossible for an 80yr old to win an Olympic sprint, no matter how much he believes), we can achieve much more than we think we can.

If you want to study medicine go for it, don't chicken out, because u are much more equipped for the course than you can ever know.

Innovate.

Sgt Ponzi Hater

NB: Post modified based on my current information
Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 10, 2017
Thank you but are you a doctor?

5 Likes

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 10, 2017
Tahrah:
I don't have to be, as long as I am informed.

2 Likes

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Donpre(m): 10:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
50% of 600+ mcqs, 10+ essay questions, steeple chase, vivas etc... On anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, and other advanced medical courses. Voluminous books with super voluminous contents. 8hours+ of classes everyday except weekends. Not up to 2 months break a year.

Please don't deceive peeps with statements like those. I'm an aspirant but as least I know what I'm getting into, but over 80% of aspirants out there think it's a bed of roses and this your post really isn't helping that. That's why a lotta peeps flunk, quit or just barely make it out, because they thought it was gonna be easy and didn't prepare themselves enough.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 5:30am On Jun 11, 2017
1st of all, i will like to state that i have been seeing most of your comments and posts on nairaland. They show a deep sense of insecurity and underachievement.

In as much as you try to convice people that ur ideology is right, you are a great example to potray that truly common sense isnt common.

Just look at this stupid thread u started and the title.
1) you are not a medical doctor. I dont think you are even in the field.

2) you made stupid generalizations. I dont know which mushroom school you finished from but i tell you from experience.. 1 as a medical doctor and secondly as one of the top students in my class that your assumption is false.

1st of all , i reiterate that in unilag, more than 60 % of the students that get into medicine were among if not the best in their various secondary schools.

Most of us had stellar scores in jamb ...250 and above because to a very large extent, unilag uses the merit system.

And lets say you get in through diploma.. OMG. You have to read twice as much as your colleague who got in through jamb because you would need to finish with a whooping 4.0 to 4.5 cgpa depending on the number of medical students they can admit that year to cros over to 200 level not forgetting your parents have comnitted abt 400k plus into funding the diploma tuition.

Ofcourse there are people that get in by various means other than through merit. This doesnt mean they are all dumb but some people just have the right connects and resources than others and may actually be smart but couldnt just make it through jamb or diploma.
From 100level in med school, you will know a good percent of those that entered through the back door. They wont even cope because the so called 50 % cut off you talk about. People find it hard to get that. Those ones are filtered out of the system or made to repeat.

Let us now assume , they scale through to college of medicine, unilag proper from 200level where the challenge starts.. Tests and incourses rush in and then you study like a mad person and u just end up with 49.99%. Go and ask real medical students in reputable schools. That score is like getting a 4.5 gpa brother.

You then get into 300level and then do 5 courses plus xx electives and GSTs, and during your professional exams, You are made to write exams monday through friday in quick succession then practicals of those courses monday through friday the following week. You are mentally and psychologically drained. At this point when results come out 40 percent of your colleagues that started the journey with you have either been withdrawn, asked to repeat or made to change course to another just because they couldnt make your so called 50%.

Let us still assume, they maneuver their way through this stage, then you enter 400 level where real clinical work starts where you are judged based on ur clinical acumen and dexterity in presentations of patient cases and detailed management. At this point, this is where many are called but few are chosen. You shall be weeded out of the system or repeat 2ce and still get weeded out.

As i speak to you. I know students that were in final year when i was a freshman, i have graduated and they are still in final year yet to pass clinicals.

So dont go around spreading wrong info about what you know little about. You say 50 % as though it were nothing. That 50% is a whole lot to real medical students where outrageous curriculums and unthinkable deadlines are in the factor.

I congratulate you for pushing your relative to go ahead and study medicine because true there is this ideology that to get medicine is ridiculously hard but there are a whole lot that get in through the right means and in medicine is where you find the most brilliant minds especially in nigeria. No pun intended on other courses.
Pls, do ask him how easy it was for him to scale through medical school.

Studying medicine isnt a Herculean fit to some i agree but it aint one someone who is unserious can dive into because one will end up frustrated probably worse than this guy whonstarted this thread with the ridiculous username...sgtponzihater.

Stop spreading shit around.

Work hard and any dream is achievable.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 11, 2017
Tahrah:

This guy cant be a doctor.. No doctor will put up such uninformed thrash.

3 Likes

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 11, 2017
Donpre:
50% of 600+ mcqs, 10+ essay questions, steeple chase, vivas etc... On anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, and other advanced medical courses. Voluminous books with super voluminous contents. 8hours+ of classes everyday except weekends. Not up to 2 months break a year.

Please don't deceive peeps with statements like those. I'm an aspirant but as least I know what I'm getting into, but over 80% of aspirants out there think it's a bed of roses and this your post really isn't helping that. That's why a lotta peeps flunk, quit or just barely make it out, because they thought it was gonna be easy and didn't prepare themselves enough.

Sometimes u don even have breaks in a year.. Sometimes we give ourselves breaks or thqnk God for strikes which gives us compulsory breaks.

1 Like

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 6:57am On Jun 11, 2017
Ominigreat:

This guy cant be a doctor.. No doctor will put up such uninformed thrash.
I thought as much.

1 Like

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by oldfoolnigger(m): 8:47am On Jun 11, 2017
op pls don't deceive average jambites into going for a course beyond their ability with this ur post.

the course mighty somehow exaggerated by medical students and doctors but,the fact still remains

medicine as a course is very very tough.
besides, anything that Has to do with life,u ought to know would be really really tough and hard
Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 11, 2017
An average student with much dedication will probably scale thru medicine. I wasn't informed of the intricacies though, but my brother inducting last week pushed me to write this post, to encourage anyone feeling less than worthy to be a doctor. Being a doctor is a great privilege and I never in any way mean to disparage the world's most respected course, in terms of how noble.
Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:58am On Jun 11, 2017
Ominigreat:
1st of all, i will like to state that i have been seeing most of your comments and posts on nairaland. They show a deep sense of insecurity and underachievement.

In as much as you try to convice people that ur ideology is right, you are a great example to potray that truly common sense isnt common.

2) you made stupid generalizations. I dont know which mushroom school you finished from but i tell you from experience.. 1 as a medical doctor and secondly as one of the top students in my class that your assumption is false.

Why do you bother responding to this buffoon ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Dbrainiac1(m): 9:01pm On Jun 11, 2017
sgtponzihater:
I write this piece, not to disparage any course, but to encourage those stuck in the valley of indecision, because of wrong, misinterpreted, and over hyped information mostly propagated by medical doctors. They give people the ridiculous idea that their course is the toughest there is and make well deserving student loose hope before even trying.

I once saw a relative of mine pick JAMB form and chose Human Physiology, I asked the really naive kid what he was doing and he said he wanted to secure admission the following session, it was a hard battle for us as I told him with human physiology he would end up at best a quack, hiding his identity to do Ultrasound scan for doctors who are no better than him. I advised him to get into Medicine by hook or by crook and that once he gets in, it will be the easiest course in the world. 80% who study medicine entered by runs anyways. He heeded my instructions and months ago he called to tell me he have finally become the doctor fear and intimidation almost robbed him of.

Some may ask why I had the boldness to give such advice, it's because while other students struggle to make As and 2nd class upper, medical student struggle to get 50%, at the end they act larger than life, when in fact they entered the course by runs and only have to score 50% to scale through.

If you want to study medicine go for it, don't chicken out, because u are much more equipped for the course than you can ever know.

Don't let the scammers fool you.

Sgt Ponzi Hater
Your brain dey pain you?

1 Share

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Dbrainiac1(m): 9:03pm On Jun 11, 2017
Yuck

1 Share

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 11, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Why do you bother responding to this buffoon ?

No mind me jare.. This is so that others wont be mislead and rather be ready for what they are up against... I dont take him seriously.
Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Omonoba1: 10:25pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ominigreat:

1st of all , i reiterate that in unilag, more than 60 % of the students that get into medicine were among if not the best in their various secondary schools.

Most of us had stellar scores in jamb ...250 and above because to a very large extent, unilag uses the merit system.

And lets say you get in through diploma.. OMG. You have to read twice as much as your colleague who got in through jamb because you would need to finish with a whooping 4.0 to 4.5 cgpa depending on the number of medical students they can admit that year to cros over to 200 level not forgetting your parents have comnitted abt 400k plus into funding the diploma tuition.

Ofcourse there are people that get in by various means other than through merit. This doesnt mean they are all dumb but some people just have the right connects and resources than others and may actually be smart but couldnt just make it through jamb or diploma.
From 100level in med school, you will know a good percent of those that entered through the back door. They wont even cope because the so called 50 % cut off you talk about. People find it hard to get that. Those ones are filtered out of the system or made to repeat.

Let us now assume , they scale through to college of medicine, unilag proper from 200level where the challenge starts.. Tests and incourses rush in and then you study like a mad person and u just end up with 49.99%. Go and ask real medical students in reputable schools. That score is like getting a 4.5 gpa brother.

You then get into 300level and then do 5 courses plus xx electives and GSTs, and during your professional exams, You are made to write exams monday through friday in quick succession then practicals of those courses monday through friday the following week. You are mentally and psychologically drained. At this point when results come out 40 percent of your colleagues that started the journey with you have either been withdrawn, asked to repeat or made to change course to another just because they couldnt make your so called 50%.

Let us still assume, they maneuver their way through this stage, then you enter 400 level where real clinical work starts where you are judged based on ur clinical acumen and dexterity in presentations of patient cases and detailed management. At this point, this is where many are called but few are chosen. You shall be weeded out of the system or repeat 2ce and still get weeded out.

As i speak to you. I know students that were in final year when i was a freshman, i have graduated and they are still in final year yet to pass clinicals.

So dont go around spreading wrong info about what you know little about. You say 50 % as though it were nothing. That 50% is a whole lot to real medical students where outrageous curriculums and unthinkable deadlines are in the factor.

I congratulate you for pushing your relative to go ahead and study medicine because true there is this ideology that to get medicine is ridiculously hard but there are a whole lot that get in through the right means and in medicine is where you find the most brilliant minds especially in nigeria. No pun intended on other courses.
Pls, do ask him how easy it was for him to scale through medical school.

Studying medicine isnt a Herculean fit to some i agree but it aint one someone who is unserious can dive into because one will end up frustrated probably worse than this guy whonstarted this thread with the ridiculous username...sgtponzihater.

Pls dont downgrade yourself to the level of that guy..He knows nothing and yet doesn't want to learn..

1 Like

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Topro: 11:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
Hope you know they remove one mark for every mark you miss. So if you get 200 out of 250. And you miss 50, your total score is 200-50 that you miss =150 /250.

So when they say 50 percent. It's 50 percent after negative marking. Research before saying things you don't know.

In first year I had 5.0 CGPA and I was a medical student. Highest in the whole school. From 2nd year you stop using CGPA just distinctions, credits and pass

1 Like

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 11, 2017
Topro:
Hope you know they remove one mark for every mark you miss. So if you get 200 out of 250. And you miss 50, your total score is 200-50 that you miss =150 /250.

So when they say 50 percent. It's 50 percent after negative marking. Research before saying things you don't know.

In first year I had 5.0 CGPA and I was a medical student. Highest in the whole school. From 2nd year you stop using CGPA just distinctions, credits and pass

I've been enlightened, but with so much insults and rage, as if I forced anyone to study medicine. I never expected such from medics.
Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by GdexFolami(m): 1:09am On Jun 12, 2017
sgtponzihater:

I've been enlightened, but with so much insults and rage, as if I forced anyone to study medicine. I never expected such from medics.
to b sincere bro I've been following ya comments ,what's wrong with u just tell me .you ain't reserved atall .you just spill shiits as it comes to your head

2 Likes

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by BabaPissmaker(m): 5:54am On Jun 12, 2017
@SgtPonzihater

Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:00am On Jun 12, 2017
I don't like it when people give attention to attention seekers. U guys should leave this guy alone. When e don tire, e go rest.
Re: Its Possible to Study Medicine, Go for it by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 12, 2017
Sorry to those I offended, I've modified the post based on popular demand and my latest knowledge, do ignore my previous comments and see me as a human being, that is a work in progress and is prone to harmless errors. As we remember June 12, may our dream as a country be reingnited and our dead hope receive life.

(1) (Reply)

Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option / The Freethinking Nigerian Youths [hear Us Out] / My bank and my refunded tuition fee. help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.