Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Nigeria Is Lucky To Not Have Assumed The Status Of A Failed State–obilo - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigeria Is Lucky To Not Have Assumed The Status Of A Failed State–obilo (401 Views)

Man United Lucky To Have ‘special Talent’ Greenwood, Says Maguire / Lucky Dube - Trinity (instrumental) (free Download) / [ Reggae Mix ] Best Of Lucky Dube Mix | 2018 Edition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Lucky To Not Have Assumed The Status Of A Failed State–obilo by AyoolaOmole: 2:40am On Jun 15, 2017
•Let us concentrate on pressing national Issues – Usman Solomon.

•No individual or organization is stronger than the generality of Great Ife Students – Okediji Simon

•I have never in my lifetime experienced a speech so insightful – Participant.

Seasoned broadcaster, public affairs analyst, journalist, and former Splash FM employee, Edmund Obilo has in the light of the present climate surrounding Nigerian national integration, remarked the country has so far been lucky to not have assumed the status of a failed state. He stated this at Oduduwa Hall, Obafemi Awolowo University, during the June 12 political symposium put together by the office of Public Relations Officer of Obafemi Awolowo University Student Union, in commemoration of the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election which is predominantly acclaimed to have been won by Chief Moshood Kashimawo Abiola who had contested under the platform of Socialcial Democratic Party (SDP).

The event, which also featured an Inter-Hall debate competition entitled ‘June 12 commemoration, Crucial or Trivial’ , had been expected to have guests in the persons of Speaker, Osun State House of Assembly Najeem Salaam, Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives, Hon. Lasun Yusuf, Former OAU Student Union President, Paul Alaje , Lecturer, Department of Political Science, Obafemi Awolowo University, Mr. Usman Solomon Ayegba, and Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Honourable Mudashiru Obasa in attendance, only witnessed paper delivery by Edmund Obilo and the representative of Usman Solomon, Mr. Harrison amidst low turnout of audience which was hinged upon academic lectures, resultant of non-declaration of June 12, by the Federal Government of Nigeria, as Public Holiday.

In his keynote address titled “The Past, Present and Future of Democracy”, Mr. Edmund tasked students to embrace intellectualism and explore intellectual works, as readers are leaders. He said while studying Electrical Electronics, he read books centred on law and politics, before going on to study International Relations, mentioning that he is in fact presently a student of Political Science at the University of Ibadan, with plans to study Political Economy of Underdeveloped Countries abroad. “I am a sad Nigerian but I am hopeful. I believe I am a member of a generation that can build a new hope for Africa, I believe I am on a mission, I don’t know about you”.
Edmund Obilo shared an opinion which is in alignment with that of those who see Nigeria as sitting on a keg of gun powder, finding it mysterious that the country has so far survived what can be described as profound terminal disease.
”Considering the many cases of unresolved murder, mass killings on the part of government, political oppression and corruption, I have come to the conclusion that Nigeria is lucky to not have assumed the status of a failed state. Nigeria is one country that produces leaders and followers with weapons of destabilization; Nigeria has leaders and followers firing bullets and missiles of deceit at the heart of the country, yet the country has refused to die but I have a fear, Nigeria might be taking its luck too far. With the way we are going, we may wake up on morning and find that Nigeria has sunk with its citizens scattered in different directions”.

He explained Nigerians may continue to debate while the military elements who truncated democracy continue to dictate it, in the absence of necessary actions. Adding that what June 12 symbolizes in essence was the effort of Nigerians in demand for democracy order than being all about M.K.O Abiola who equally had his own flaws, detailing alleged conspiracies, which includes funding of military coups.

“It was a muslim-muslim ticket but he (Moshood Abiola) was loved by the Nigerian people in entirety. They came out to cast votes across every divide”.
He congratulated Nigerian students on standing firm in the face of oppression, calling on Nigerian universities and other tertiary institutions to reinstate students rusticated for expressing their preferences. “These students have the right to negotiate their own future. You find them (rusticated students) in the Universities of Lagos, Ibadan, Benin and Obafemi Awolowo University. The repositioning of our educational standard cannot be achieved in a brutal environment where students are scared to expressing themselves.

Delivering his address, Lecturer, Political Science Department, OAU, Usman Solomon, represented by Mr. Harrison, in a manner of one does not exactly favour the commiseration of June 12, rolled-out before the audience, two variant schools of thought on the subject. He said he was reluctant to accept the invitation, at first, for some reasons, noting that June 12 had become sensitive and emotional national and global discussion.

“The spectre of June 12 continues to hunt and hurt Nigerians. Some people believe that June 12 1993 election was the freest election and the commemoration is done in national interest. Others believe that June 12 is dead and should be consigned to the trash can of history where it belongs thus commemorating this annually or any event for that matter is not only a waste of time but an attempt to take the country backward” Suggesting that the importance of June 12 were missed, he cited lack of strengthened conduct of free and fair elections, independence of the electoral commission as examples. He closed with a unequivocal emphasis “There is no alternative democracy”.

While fielding questions, ATTENCAO asked the Public Relations Officer, Okediji Simon, whether or not the absence of politician invitees was influenced by the set of students who were critical of their invitation and had planned to greet their presence with massive protests, he denied such.

“Thanks for the question, the absence of some of our invitees wasn’t influenced by any individual or group of people. No individual or organization is stronger than the generality of Great Ife Students. Their absence was due to personal reasons also known to the leadership of the Union”.

Asked if his office had similar programs as the June 12 Political Symposium in stock, he responded “In November, We are going to organise a National Conference of All Nigerian Students where we will be hosting all Universities in the South-West”

http://attencao..co.ke/2017/06/nigeria-is-lucky-to-not-have-assumed.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Lucky To Not Have Assumed The Status Of A Failed State–obilo by Integrity4u(m): 2:42am On Jun 15, 2017
Edmund Obilo is always on point

(1) (Reply)

The Story By Fempire (Listen, Rate And Thank Me) / [music] De Corage X Mixzy – Aye / A Ghanaian Techie’s Observations Of Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.