Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,912 members, 7,814,079 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students (994 Views)

'No Be Say I No Go Pay! They Go Flog Tire' T-shirt For Warri Schoolgirl, Success / FUTMINNA Creates Portal For Parents Of Their Students (photo) / Teachers Strip Students Unclad In Cameroon & Flog Them For Coming Late (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students by AjalaJ(m): 1:57pm On Jun 15, 2017
How do Nigerians feel about the act of flogging students in basic and intermediate Nigerian schools?

Sometimes it is necessary. very necessary. That is the only language some children understand, and whenever you are dealing with such children, speak to them in a language they’ll understand.

Ordinarily, I personally do not like the idea of flogging children. I grew up in a home where flogging was hardly done. My mother did a few times, but I can hardly remember my father flogging me. I didn’t grow up to be a bad boy for not being flogged enough (at least according to societal standards of good and bad).

However, I once taught in a Private Primary School where flogging is prohibited by the school management. And the bad thing is, the children knew it. They are fully aware that teachers are not allowed to flogged. The school regulation is that when a child misbehaves, you report them to the headteacher. That was extremely annoying; if you expect me as a teacher to always come and report a primary school pupil, then you have put me on the same level as the pupil (honestly that’s how I see it).

Well… this lead to…

Problems! Problems!! Problems!!!…

The children will always try your patience. They will do all they can to provoke you. And they’ll make a joke out of you and laugh among themselves. It was too embarrassing.

Guess what I did?

I’ll usually lock the classroom door and give them some good spanking hoping that some day, I’ll be caught and dismissed (I had prepared my mind for that). It so happens that the matter never escalated to the school management. Funny enough, the children who should report you to either the headteacher or their parents never get to do that. Reason? It will reveal what necessitated the flogging.

Ancient scripture captures it right:

“Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” - King Solomon.

So, when all else fails, flogging is a good option.

Source: https://www.quora.com/How-do-Nigerians-feel-about-the-act-of-flogging-students-in-basic-and-intermediate-Nigerian-schools

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng
Re: Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students by Coursetrouble: 2:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
If any teacher flog my pikin, I go flog am too.shikena!
Re: Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students by SEEDORF441(m): 2:05pm On Jun 15, 2017
To comot nonchalant attitude out of soul
Re: Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students by SEEDORF441(m): 2:06pm On Jun 15, 2017
To comot nonchalant attitude out of their soul
Re: Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students by smardray(m): 2:10pm On Jun 15, 2017
Dah time if u no beat me u dey waste ur time... I no go hear
Re: Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students by Illuminatus(m): 2:28pm On Jun 15, 2017
The fact that you are using Old Testament scripture to validate your point is just illustrative of where this thinking belongs. You don't need physical corporal punishment to raise children these days. These things have side effects and should be avoided. If you raise your child to listen to instruction and have discuss showing why they shouldn't do which and do the other, you would find corporal punishments needless.
Re: Why Nigerian Teachers Flog Their Students by BizLifeE: 7:28am On Jun 16, 2017
I'm sorry to say this: Some kids really need to be thrashed... Otherwise, their parents would cry for them in their old age, when it's too late.

(1) (Reply)

Any Course For This Result? / Amosun:parent To Pay WAEC Fee In Ogun / Free Paraphrasing Tool For Bloggers And Scholars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.