Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

How To Deal With Problem Tenants - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Deal With Problem Tenants (9391 Views)

Tenants To Pay 6% Stamp Duty - FIRS Tells Landlords & Property Agents / Novare Tenants Get 4-Month Free Rent In Abuja And Lagos / Marlians Not Allowed In My House, Landlord Issues Warning To Tenants - More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 21, 2017
The rental market in Nigeria is at an all-time high – instead of saving money to buy a new apartment for decades, or taking a mortgage, more and more young Nigerians prefer to rent property. This trend can benefit both the tenants, who receive an opportunity to get a nice place to live for a reasonable monthly payment, and homeowners, who get to make money with their property. However, conflicts between tenants and landlords are nearly inevitable, and today most landlords battle with how to deal with a problem prone tenant.

STUDY THE LAW
The relationship between the tenant and the landlord is regulated by numerous laws and policies, and the policies can differ from one area to another. Whenever you’re getting ready to deal with a problem tenant, first study your rights and responsibilities . Find out what you can do in each particular situation, whether you can evict the tenant before the rent contract is over, and whether a fine can be imposed on you as a landlord for terminating the contract. It’s best to have a copy of regional policies at hand, and supply your tenants with a copy as well, preferably before they sign the agreement.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
In order for you to have enough arguments and evidence for talking to the tenant, you need to have a case, which consists of every instance of the tenant violating the rental policies, as well as your actions in dealing with the issues. Every time you get a complaint from the neighbours or spot suspicious behaviour yourself, write it down , and include the date and time. Whenever you try to have a reasonable talk with a tenant, leave a note, or issue a warning, document those instances as well – eventually it will be easier for you to prove your point.

KEEP IT FAIR AND SAFE
Although you can be an understanding and loyal landlord, your safety, as well as the safety of other tenants, should come first. It means that you can’t let the conflict lead to a physical confrontation t hat can involve other people or do major damage to your health. If you feel like the conflict is about to go out of control, don’t hesitate to contact the police. And while the tenants can have different life stories that can explain their behaviour or late rent, you shouldn’t be compromising your rental policies for each particular case – you need to remain fair and unbiased to every tenant.

DAMAGED PROPERTY
One of the most frustrating things that can happen to a landlord is when he comes to the apartment only to find it in a completely unsatisfying condition. These problems, however, can be prevented – before you let the tenants inside the apartment, have them sign the lease agreement, and make sure to include clauses that explain the tenant’s responsibility in case the property is damaged. In case the damage is done, simply point to the corresponding clause in the agreement and make the tenant cover the expenses.

CONSTANT COMPLAINTS
It’s natural for tenants to occasionally make requests to their landlord – for example, when there are issues with conveniences or when they are bothered by the disruptive behavior of their neighbours. However, sometimes the complaints become so frequent that you simply don’t have the time to solve your own problems. In this case, sit your tenants down for a serious talk. Explain that you are always open for requests and suggestions, but you can’t spend 24 hours a day attending to their needs – usually this talk is enough to stop excessive complaints.

ILLEGAL ACTIVITY
This is one of the most dangerous things that can happen to a landlord, especially if illegal activity has anything to do with drugs, since you never know what to expect. If you suspect illegal activity taking place in your apartment , or you received complaints from other tenants, we do not recommend trying to solve these issues alone. The best solution here is to contact the police and let them take care of the situation. In case your tenant is arrested, you’ll need to consult your legal advisor before deciding if you want to evict the tenant.

NOISY BEHAVIOR
Some tenants believe that they are free to do anything as long as they are inside their rental apartment, but in reality loud or disruptive behavior can be annoying for the neighbors, which is why you may get complaints. In order to avoid this situation, include behavior rules into the lease agreement, so that you could have a leg to stand on when it comes to negotiating with the tenants. If there are multiple complaints or multiple instances of disruptive behavior from your tenants, make sure to document every instance, including date and time, details, and your steps in solving the issue.

LATE RENTS
If you’re a landlord, rent is likely your primary source of income, and when a particular tenant fails to pay the rent on time month after month, it can seriously affect your financial wellbeing. Before renting out your apartment, be sure to outline your rent payment policies in the agreement. Don’t forget to specify what is considered to be late rent in your opinion – while you can ignore rent that is three days late, the tenant’s failure to pay the rent for several weeks is a completely different story.

Source:
https://blog./2016/08/deal-problem-tenant-part-2/

www.naijapropertiesonline.com

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Lexusgs430: 7:21am On Jun 21, 2017
Take them to court and await your day in court. They might pack out before the case is heard..

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by TANKDESTROYER(m): 7:21am On Jun 21, 2017
Noted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Eugosc1(m): 7:22am On Jun 21, 2017
Good
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by oshe11: 7:22am On Jun 21, 2017
Give dem quit notice like the arewa youth or u kill dem for night n say armrobbers nai kill dem

why U go dey ask us dis silly question dis morning wen d solution is very easi...

tomoro u wud ask us hw to mk ur gf/wife cum undecided
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by DAVE5(m): 7:23am On Jun 21, 2017
Not a landlord yet, but I'm sure this wld come in handy when I become one

Shout out to the aspiring landlords!!!

Thanks op

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by gbegemaster(m): 7:23am On Jun 21, 2017
House rent shouldn't be your primary source of income.

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 21, 2017
Thanks, this should come in handy when I build my house.
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 21, 2017
Interesting..

ROXBURY HOMES BRINGS TO YOU THE BEST OF
LUXURIOUS LIVING WITHIN AFFORDABILITY..

SEMI-DETACHED FOUR (4) BEDROOM and TWO (2)
BEDROOM DUPLEXES WITH BQ ARE UP FOR SALE.
COMES FULLY EQUIPPED WITH MODERN GADGETS, and
CARPORTS WITH AMPLE PARKING SPACE.

FACILITIES: One Year Membership of Dream World Fun
City, Swimming Pool, Event Centre, Gym Centre, Round
The Clock Security.

Eleganza, Lekki-Lagos.

TITLE: Governor's Consent

PRICE: #47M (Semi-detached 4 bedroom duplexes);
#33M (two bedroom fully equipped semi-detached
duplex)
FLEXIBLE PAYMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE

Call/WhatsApp: 08075256644; 08169173378
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

www.naijapropertiesonline.com/listings/2nd-toll-gate-
ochid-hotel-road-eleganza/

1 Share

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by muller101(m): 7:24am On Jun 21, 2017
Seen next.
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 21, 2017
Nice topic very educative.
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by OLUJOSHINS(m): 7:26am On Jun 21, 2017
be ready for war.

The O.P's process will cost U time & money.

But if U are cool with the street way of drumming sense into people's brains, then U are good to go.

& for those thinking of trying out the new ponzi gibberish up there, BACK OFF OR WEEP WELL.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by aykevictor789(m): 7:30am On Jun 21, 2017
Nice one. This is really going to help. My tenants should get ready smiley
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Seankay323: 7:32am On Jun 21, 2017
Not had electricity in my house for 6 months at a rented apartment but paid rent before the transformer developed a fault and the landlord is taking forever to buy a new one wot can one do?
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by NwaAmaikpe: 7:40am On Jun 21, 2017
Seankay323:
Not had electricity in my house for 6 months at a rented apartment but paid rent before the transformer developed a fault and the landlord is taking forever to buy a new one wot can one do?

Pack out to a house that has electricity

And count your losses.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Iamwrath: 7:44am On Jun 21, 2017
Plant juju at their doorstep
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 21, 2017
oshe11:
Give dem quit notice like the arewa youth or u kill dem for night n say armrobbers nai kill dem

why U go dey ask us dis silly question dis morning wen d solution is very easi...

tomoro u wud ask us hw to mk ur gf/wife cum undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by FakoMaybach1: 7:59am On Jun 21, 2017
After reading this article, i quickly called my Ijebu landlady to tell her that her toilet tiles fell off. I did not think it was a big deal but men; dem no dey use wetin dey enter ear put for eye ooo
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by money121(m): 8:05am On Jun 21, 2017
grin
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Cleopatra4(f): 8:10am On Jun 21, 2017
Lexusgs430:
Take them to court and await your day in court. They might pack out before the case is heard..
Hmmmm..
Court will give them a period of a time to pay.
If d tenant is smart enough they fit drag d case reach 3 months..
U know what that means.
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by Lexusgs430: 8:15am On Jun 21, 2017
Cleopatra4:

Hmmmm..
Court will give them a period of a time to pay.
If d tenant is smart enough they fit drag d case reach 3 months..
U know what that means.

Unfortunately, that is the legal way to do things to avoid been on the wrong side of the law, facing stiff penalties imposed by the courts......

NB: Been a Landlord comes with advantages & disadvantages .......
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by money121(m): 8:18am On Jun 21, 2017
Another Stone coated Loading to Owerri... Are you Done with your Roofing Woodwork? And you need Quality New Zealand Roofing sheet?
Call/WhatsApp 08085310359..
Customers satisfaction is our watch Word

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by HAH: 8:59am On Jun 21, 2017
Please I need service of a good property lawyer in Abuja, I want to eveict a perenially defaulting tenant.

If you are one kindly quote this message for me to contact you.

Thank you
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by HAH: 9:00am On Jun 21, 2017
Please I need service of a good property lawyer in Abuja, I want to evict a perenially defaulting tenant.

If you are one kindly quote this message for me to contact you.

Thank you
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by ninovandross(m): 9:05am On Jun 21, 2017
juju/ thugs
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by lonelydora: 9:23am On Jun 21, 2017
A career Ikwerre landlord has no time for all these stories Op. If he gives you 24 hours to pack whether you are right or wrong, biko, pack. Unless you will have yourself to blame.
Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by lonelydora: 9:26am On Jun 21, 2017
gbegemaster:
House rent shouldn't be your primary source of income.

There are some many career landlords (their only source of Income is the rent) in southern part of the country. Do not joke with them.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Problem Tenants by eodavids(m): 9:36am On Jun 21, 2017
This is an important piece.

The most important area to settle very well with your Tennant under lease agreement is not the money involved in the rent but the behaviors expected of the Tennant.

It must be specified in such agreement that failure to abide by these rules can be invoked by the landlord to occasions the determination/termination of the lease contract.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract / Maximise Your Returns Now In Dredging Business With Locally Built Chines Dredger / Building Plan Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.