Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’: Nigerian Jailed And Ransomed In Libya - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / ‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’: Nigerian Jailed And Ransomed In Libya (638 Views)

We Pray For Death In Libya, Says Returnee (photos) / Nigerian Migrants Cry Out After Being Locked Up In Prison In Libya. Photos / Nigerians For Sale In Libya: Where Lives Are Auctioned For $400 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’: Nigerian Jailed And Ransomed In Libya by Bravo123: 12:55am On Jun 23, 2017
It was called “Morning Tea” – a brutal flogging with a hosepipe.

Every morning for four months, Seun Femi’s captors beat him at a makeshift prison in Libya.

“They would flog my head, my hands, my bum,” says the 34-year-old. “The guard would beat me until he got tired.”

Two of Seun’s fingers were broken during one of the brutal sessions. But the Nigerian says it could have been far worse. One man was beaten to death in front of him.

“I thought I was going to die in that prison,” he says.

Seun was one of the tens of thousands of West Africans who cross the Sahara Desert into Libya every year, from where they hope to be trafficked by boat to Europe.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) estimates there are between 700,000 and one million people in Libya awaiting their chance to cross the Mediterranean.

It was always a dark and desperate journey but now appears to be increasingly dangerous as undocumented migrants fall prey to militias and criminal gangs in war-torn Libya.

Earlier this year, the IOM reported that African migrants were being sold by their captors in “slave markets” in the south-western Libyan city of Sabha...

Read morehttp://alabingo.com/2017/06/thought-going-die-nigerian-jailed-ransomed-libya/

1 Like

Re: ‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’: Nigerian Jailed And Ransomed In Libya by farouk0403(m): 1:37am On Jun 23, 2017
Who send you?? you asked for it and you got what you deserve. i will not sympathize with any illegal immigrants
Re: ‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’: Nigerian Jailed And Ransomed In Libya by bencarson007(m): 9:22am On Jun 23, 2017
farouk0403:
Who send you?? you asked for it and you got what you deserve. i will not sympathize with any illegal immigrants

That you have enough to survive on deos not mean others do.
Our leaders have destroyed the country and people are just starting to look outwards and our youths here are kind hearted people who don't like violence compared to other African countries if not dem for don burn down Aso rock and all these government houses and senate chambers... Case in point is what the Burkina Faso youths did to oust their erstwhile president and what also happened in Libya and Sudan...
So pleases its not their fault they decided to migrate the way they did...
I don't support them but sometimes, you have little or no choice left...
Re: ‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’: Nigerian Jailed And Ransomed In Libya by farouk0403(m): 11:01am On Jun 23, 2017
bencarson007:

That you have enough to survive on deos not mean others do.
Our leaders have destroyed the country and people are just starting to look outwards and our youths here are kind hearted people who don't like violence compared to other African countries if not dem for don burn down Aso rock and all these government houses and senate chambers... Case in point is what the Burkina Faso youths did to oust their erstwhile president and what also happened in Libya and Sudan...
So pleases its not their fault they decided to migrate the way they did...
I don't support them but sometimes, you have little or no choice left...

I understand your point, i know there is hardship in this country, but we the youth need to start thinking outside the box we are more than 170million in Nigeria and each and every one of us need to patronize one or two things for his daily survival/daily need , why can't we take the advantage of our population to do something tangible for ourselves like buying and selling.

There is no capital right? lets start from the scratch or get access to loan, loan is not only from government there are family and friends out there that are willing to help maybe they are just waiting for you to ask to know how serious you are.

Our government have failed us but that doesn't mean we should fold our hands and keep on blaming them, we need to start something and lay the foundation of our future by either being politically oriented or business oriented.

Youth shall raise but we need to focus.

God knows i have both politics and business to do in some years to come. thou the latter is already in place.
Re: ‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’: Nigerian Jailed And Ransomed In Libya by bencarson007(m): 2:21pm On Jun 23, 2017
farouk0403:

I understand your point, i know there is hardship in this country, but we the youth need to start thinking outside the box we are more than 170million in Nigeria and each and every one of us need to patronize one or two things for his daily survival/daily need , why can't we take the advantage of our population to do something tangible for ourselves like buying and selling.

There is no capital right? lets start from the scratch or get access to loan, loan is not only from government there are family and friends out there that are willing to help maybe they are just waiting for you to ask to know how serious you are.

Our government have failed us but that doesn't mean we should fold our hands and keep on blaming them, we need to start something and lay the foundation of our future by either being politically oriented or business oriented.

Youth shall raise but we need to focus.

God knows i have both politics and business to do in some years to come. thou the latter is already in place.

We are all trying to hustle... But the government is bad, banks won't lend and don't even go near family for loans cos many won't give but rather want to jubilate over a person's struggles...I have family members that are multi millionaires but it is easier for a camel to pass thru the eyes of a needle than for them to even listen to you not to talk of give to you.
So that's the problem of some serious youths...

(1) (Reply)

TOP 10 MOST LIVEABLE CITIES in 2017: Lagos At The Bottom Of The Barrel. / Having A Child In Canada / Man Survives Ghastly Accident,car Somersaults, Blames The Govt For Not Helping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.