Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,961 members, 7,952,871 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:20 AM

Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This (4850 Views)

What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? / Audi Q7 S-line 4,2 V8 FSI Versus Volkswagen Touareg R50 5,0 V10 TDI? / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by seal777(m): 11:32am On Jan 27, 2010
THE AUTOMOBILE EXPERIENCE IN NIGERIA IS FAST MOVING AHEAD OF V4 ENGINES AND THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE AS IT RELATES TO V6, V8 AND V10 ENGINES ARE LIMITED.
ARE YOU A   V6, V8 OR V10 ENGINE USER? PLS SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE INTERMS OF DRIVING, MECHANICAL AND SERVICE EXPERIENCE OF YOUR CAR
I AM A NEW ENTRANT INTO THE V6 CLASS.
PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THIS THREAD FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHER HIGHER ENGINE USERS.

GOD BLESS YOU AS YOU DO SO.
cool
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by seal777(m): 12:57pm On Jan 28, 2010
pls comment
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Onwan: 2:29pm On Jan 28, 2010
A little downside (If you call it that) on the fuel consumption side BUT overall, they are way better, stronger and longer lasting than the V4s.

When you are 1 spark-plug down in a V4, you will feel it seriously, BUT with a V6, V8, you hardly know.

Most importantly for me is the torque and speed; the bigger the better. (V8 max though)
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by bigfather(m): 4:21pm On Jan 28, 2010
Onwan:

A little downside (If you call it that) on the fuel consumption side BUT overall, they are way better, stronger and longer lasting than the V4s.

When you are 1 spark-plug down in a V4, you will feel it seriously, BUT with a V6, V8, you hardly know.

Most importantly for me is the torque and speed; the bigger the better. (V8 max though)

Yeah, i concur.Once you start, you can't stop ! cheesy
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Ximon: 4:38pm On Jan 28, 2010
What's a damn v4?even a v5 has a balancing shaft,you probably refering to an inline four cylinder engine.both engines have their advantages,it depends on the exact application.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by portacabin: 7:19pm On Jan 28, 2010
There are hardly no engines in V4 configuration. Most 4 cylinder engines(for cars) are straight 4s.
Most cars do not use upto 50% of the power,so the bigger engines are really a waste .
The bigger engines a smooth really, but I do not envy a V8 engine owner.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Onwan: 7:26pm On Jan 28, 2010
Poster is referring to 4 Cyl. engines as V4, so please understand.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 1:08am On Jan 29, 2010
I currently run an Audi A4 4,2L V8 Quattro, and have always been into larger engines. I would not buy an I4-engined car, as I'm a lover of big power and torque, combined with the smoothness only a V-configured engine can provide.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by seal777(m): 9:09am On Jan 29, 2010
@onwan,
thanks a lot for the clarification( i was refering to a 4 cylinder engine).

@portacabin
Refering to your statement,

There are hardly no engines in V4 configuration. Most 4 cylinder engines(for cars) are straight 4s.
Most cars do not use upto 50% of the power,so the bigger engines are really a waste .
The bigger engines a smooth really, but I do not envy a V8 engine owner.

i will like the expert in the house to clarify this assertion that cars hardly use up to 50% of the engine power.

THATS HARD TO BELIEVE, PLS CLARIFY.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by SUNNY45: 1:56pm On Jan 29, 2010
V4 engines consumes lesser fuel when compared to V6,V8 etc engines, I stand to be corrected!!!
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by kiretiv: 2:06pm On Jan 29, 2010
@ Sienna, I use 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE and it doesnt run as fast as my earlier 99 camry and still consumes a lot of fuel. The speedometer reads 180 km/hr while my earlier carry gets up to 220km/hr. Pls what do u advise I do to the vehicle cos it is V6 and consuming lots of fuel with less torque.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Onwan: 2:08pm On Jan 29, 2010
@Sunny45
As a standard you are very correct. For me personally; when a vehicle is built for a driver's comfort, I really enjoy it and really don't mind the fuel consumption. Unfortunately, most of these type of vehicles are from 6cyl up eg. Newer model BMWs, S type Jaguar, Range Rover Sports, LR3, etc

You see, its almost as if most 4 cyl vehicles are meant to be enjoyed by the people sitting in the back.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Onwan: 2:34pm On Jan 29, 2010
@Kiretiv
I'm sure you understand that your 04 Pathfinder is an SUV and it is bigger and weighs more than your camry. Just the same way the fuel consumption will be more simply because it needs more power to move that size and weight as fast and far as you would your camry.

It would do better with a V8 engine though. I will suggest you leave the pathfinder the way it is, so as not to have them mess it up for you.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by icemann(m): 4:29pm On Jan 29, 2010
i push a V6 honda accord (2005), its as smooth as silk and the gasoline consumption aint bad (compared to the V6 made by the american and germans )
i always keep an eye on the transmission fluid,( we all know the honda v6 transmission story)
i will suggest by a japanese if u are thinking V6 or V8
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Fixed: 5:06pm On Feb 02, 2010
Hi icemann, I also push a honda accord 2005 (v6) around. please can i get to photocopy your car manuals as mine came with none?

Thanks.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by bandore(m): 10:31pm On Feb 02, 2010
Well, a test drive of the v12 bmw and the cl600 was amazing, I still dream of it till today,, although a v8
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by icemann(m): 6:48am On Feb 08, 2010
Fixed:

Hi icemann, I also push a honda accord 2005 (v6) around. please can i get to photocopy your car manuals as mine came with none?

Thanks.

I also dont have a manual for mine, but i can look for one for you.
How do i contact you? have an email i can send it through?
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by icemann(m): 7:02am On Feb 08, 2010
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AC0505/AC0505MAINIXA.pdf
try this link
click on the page numbers to navigate to your desired pages
hope this helps
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by seal777(m): 9:34am On Feb 08, 2010
I took a trip to Epe this weekend with my 99 Toyota Camry V6 and the experience was fantastic.

I drive an EOD ’04 EDITION before I decided to get a second wife to help out in the run around business; I end up loving the second wife more and more and more and more.

The driving was smooth, fast and swift: fuel consumption was unbelievable despite moving on the A/C through the journey. I tried comparing the fuel consumption of my 4 cylinder Honda accord and the V6 Camry while on travels; sincerely it’s difficult to notice any difference.

I navigate most times between 120 and 160 max, it’s like the car was not moving from the inside but outside it was breezing across other vehicles on the road (I hope the FRSC is not reading this). I tried the D2 gear but had to quickly return it cos the car was about to fly.

I love sharing experiences, any one ha s a similar experience.

1 Like

Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Fixed: 2:39pm On Feb 08, 2010
@ Icemann,

thanks. been to the referred site before and still using it. however, what they have is online manual, meaning you can only download it one page at a time. Too engaging for me really.

anyway my address is ofismails@yahoo.com if you come across a complete copy.

thanks man.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 25, 2011
An I4 engine will not deliver its maximum power diffrently to a V6 0r V8. The more cylinders an engine has, the smoother it will run, even at higher RPM. An I4 will become coarse in the upper rev range, a V6 / V8 will be smoother, even without the inclusion of a balancer shaft in its design.

I will not buy an I4-engine vehicle. My current V8 is a joy to drive, I can't remember the last I4-engined car I owned, it's got to be back in 1990 - 1993.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by seal777(m): 2:56pm On Sep 25, 2011
Thanks bro, its been a while
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by kaymaxsoluxions(m): 5:23pm On Sep 25, 2011
A V6 3.0L turbo german specs Peogeut 406 saloon Car versus a V6 honda crv. Can any1 help to compare? i'll buy either.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 25, 2011
kaymaxsoluxions:

A V6 3.0L turbo german specs Peogeut 406 saloon Car versus a V6 honda crv. Can any1 help to compare? i'll buy either.

You're comparing two very different cars - a family sedan, and an SUV.

Peugeot 406 3,0 V6 turbo? There was never a turbocharged 3,0 V6 24V engine in the Peugeot range. The only turbocharged engine in the 406 was a 2,0 I4 8V (XU10 J2TE). The 3,0 V6 24V (ES9J4/S).

So the 3,0 V6 you're talking about here was never turbocharged, regardless of the spec. And to my knowledge, there isn't a V6 option in the Honda CR-V. The largest engine in the CR-V is a 2,4 I4 16V. So nothing to compare, really.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 25, 2011
Siena:

You're comparing two very different cars - a family sedan, and an SUV.

Peugeot 406 3,0 V6 turbo? There was never a turbocharged 3,0 V6 24V engine in the Peugeot range. The only turbocharged engine in the 406 was a 2,0 I4 8V (XU10 J2TE). The 3,0 V6 24V (ES9J4/S).

So the 3,0 V6 you're talking about here was never turbocharged, regardless of the spec. And to my knowledge, there isn't a V6 option in the Honda CR-V. The largest engine in the CR-V is a 2,4 I4 16V. So nothing to compare, really.

The first thing you have to ask yourself is what am I going to use the vehicle for and what is my economic status but based on what I saw in Nigeria, you should be fine in a 4cyl vehicle that doesn't weigh too much.

Automobile engine and general designes have improved drastically in recent years. You now have some 4 cyl engines making as much hp and torque as many 6cyl of recent years.

Here is a picture of us racing in SCCA (mine is the red MR2 (4cyl), my Brother fields the 6cyl BMW next to it), you can see a lot of different cars, most of those cars including the V8 COrvettes are within seconds of each other on the track. The fastest cars are usually the 4cyl cars overall, so like I said the lines are getting blurred.

Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2011
Siena:

An I4 engine will not deliver its maximum power diffrently to a V6 0r V8. The more cylinders an engine has, the smoother it will run, even at higher RPM. An I4 will become coarse in the upper rev range, a V6 / V8 will be smoother, even without the inclusion of a balancer shaft in its design.

I will not buy an I4-engine vehicle. My current V8 is a joy to drive, I can't remember the last I4-engined car I owned, it's got to be back in 1990 - 1993.

Especially for someone living in the hot bed of small engine heaven, you are missing out on a lot of performance vehicles grin

I wish we could get small hot hatchbacks that you Guys have available in Europe over here. I surf UK eBay to get my jollies once in a while but the Gestapos over here will not allow those to be imported.

Renault R5
Lotus Espirit
Original Mini Coopers with John Cooper Works
Mitsubishi Evos FQ

"May wey get head no get hat, one wey get hat no get head" cheesy
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^ Very interesting, Somorin. I scour eBay.com for GM LS-series V8 motors. That's what I'd love.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 25, 2011
Siena:

^^^ Very interesting, Somorin. I scour eBay.com for GM LS-series V8 motors. That's what I'd love.

We've installed an LS1 in a Porsche 914, a friend is shoving an LS4 into a Pontiac Fiero. I get goose bumps whenever I drive another friends LS6 powered monster Miata.

I'm currently working on transplanting a Ford 302 into a 67 MGB. I love the simplicity of the old non computer controlled engines. It is however my failing though as I really need to get up to speed on after market computer controllers which makes these swaps easier with modern engines.

What is your intention with an LS motor? To be shoved into the back of a Lotus Elise? grin
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^ Not into an Elise, replacing the V6 in a 1995 Audi A4 Quattro. I did a similar conversion in my old '96 Audi A4, but with an Audi S8 340 hp 4,2 V8. I've carried out quite a few conversions here, and was the first in the UK to install an Audi RS2 2,2 20V turbo I5 into an '87 Audi Coupe Quattro. This was bvack in '96. It was a regular at track days, and sprints, got some trophys with her too.

My V8 conversion in the A4 was a first too, and so far, it hasn't been replicated. The Coupe Quattro was magazine featured too. smiley
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 25, 2011
Removed to be on topic.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 25, 2011
Interesting stuff! Nice to see another auto enthusiast on here.

In the interest of not going off-topic, and derailling this thread, I'd start a fresh one, where any like-minded individual can chip in.

Nice to see your cars featured, I'll scan mine, and post in a fresh thread.
Re: Are You A V6, V8 Or V10 Engine User? Pls Check This by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 26, 2011
Somorin#1:

Removed to be on topic.

Have you opened another thread for modded cars?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical / Are You Traveling This Festive Period? You Need To Read This! / Es 350 Gear Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.