Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) (28260 Views)

Gattuso Warns Napoli Fans Over Osimhen Expectation, Says We Have Not Signed Pele / Why Messi And Ronaldo Are Not The Goats But Pele And Maradona. / Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by lifah(m): 7:59am On Jun 27, 2017
I was going through twitter yersterday, when i stumbled upon some certain conspiracy theories. but this particular one keeps me wondering.

so what are opinions nairalanders?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by maxnedu11(m): 10:23am On Jun 27, 2017
yes it happened. In 1967, the two factions involved in the Nigerian Civil War agreed to a 48-hour ceasefire so they could watch Pelé play an exhibition game in Lagos . source Wikipedia

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by christejames(m): 10:28am On Jun 27, 2017
Wow!
This is enlightening. Didn't know our soldiers had the knowledge of ceasefire which they even adhered to...
Football is not just a game that unites Nigeria but our way of life.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by blingxx(m): 11:26am On Jun 27, 2017
this should make FP asap ... Evans news don do abeg

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Goldeno(m): 11:30am On Jun 27, 2017
Football!!! what would the world be without you?!!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by doughziay: 12:24pm On Jun 27, 2017
Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow Wow

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by marsoden: 12:41pm On Jun 27, 2017
doughziay:
Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow Wow

Siren or ambulance?

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by doughziay: 12:55pm On Jun 27, 2017
marsoden:

Siren or ambulance?
HEARSE

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by abdulhadi101(m): 1:35pm On Jun 27, 2017
yea...i heard it too grin, so e don dey wey we love football like this my girlfriend must hear this, ordinary to stop telemmodo make i watch 90mins match she go dey vex, in case u are reading this Madam A War was halted for 48hrs because of a football match tongue

123 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 27, 2017
abdulhadi101:
yea...i heard it too grin, so e don dey wey we love football like this my girlfriend must hear this, ordinary to stop telemmodo make i watch 90mins match she go dey vex, in case u are reading this Madam A War was halted for 48hrs because of a football match tongue

Hilarious.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Pheals(f): 1:45pm On Jun 27, 2017
an elderly man told me long ago and I failed to believe...I love football as a young lady, he added " Pele played for the two teams that day and scored for both side (opposition) "

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by falcon01: 1:55pm On Jun 27, 2017
marsoden:

Siren or ambulance?
dafuq??

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by chudyprince: 2:45pm On Jun 27, 2017
lifah:
i was going through twitter yersterday, when i stumbled upon some certain conspiracy theories. but this particular one keeps me wondering.

so what are opinions nairalanders?
As IPOB saga intensify, so shall they ceasefire to observe a minute of silence for the dullard of Daura.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by jieta: 3:54pm On Jun 27, 2017
i think some thing similar also happen in ivory coast when drogba took there world cup qualifier to a city were two tribe were fighting.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Onyenna(m): 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2017
Heard it too.. ..

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by ednut1(m): 4:19pm On Jun 27, 2017
Happened but wrongly reported. The war was going on in the east and not Lagos. Real cease fire wud only make sense assuming he played in onitisha ,umuahia or PH

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2017
ednut1:
Happened but wrongly reported. The war was going on in the east and not Lagos. Real cease fire wud only make sense assuming he played in onitisha ,umuahia or PH

You just had to spoil it for everyone didn't you ?

111 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by adexdon(m): 5:04pm On Jun 27, 2017
ednut1:

why Mr ednut

4 Likes

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by espn(m): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2017
chudyprince:
As IPOB saga intensify, so shall they ceasefire to observe a minute of silence for the dullard of Daura.
No matter what bro..Dont ever wish death upon anyone..Life is just a journey.. don't need to take it too serious..

20 Likes

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by olu77(m): 6:34pm On Jun 27, 2017
Of course we love to play and watch football in peace but not live in peace. After the war, we'll rather wish they rest in peace, the same people that couldn't live in peace.

5 Likes

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by spaggyy(m): 6:40pm On Jun 27, 2017
I don't know

Wait let me ask forefathers

2 Likes

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Uyi168: 7:01pm On Jun 27, 2017
I think something similar happened during the 2nd world war..
Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Prefola: 7:05pm On Jun 27, 2017
Wow datz gud tho
Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Alitair(m): 7:21pm On Jun 27, 2017
This is historic...!

Uchihaitaci:

You just had to spoil it for everyone didn't you ?
I tire for the guy!

6 Likes

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by napoleon77(m): 7:26pm On Jun 27, 2017
The Nigerian Ceasefire Legend

So did Pelé’s visit really cause a pause in hostilities in the Nigerian civil war? And if not, where did this story come from?

There are several versions of the ceasefire story on the Internet. One version states that the match took place in 1967 while another claims it was in 1969. There are reports that the match was played in Lagos and there are also accounts that it was played in Benin.

The ceasefire story is a myth, despite the reports of this story on websites like CNN, Time, The Guardian, The Telegraph, Goal.com, Wikipedia, Globoesporte.com, etc. There is no reported Nigerian evidence of this story. Two key Nigerian newspapers – Nigerian Daily Times (Lagos) and Nigerian Observer (Benin) – were researched for this piece. There was no mention of a civil war ceasefire for a Santos match in the 1969 issues of these two newspapers. Both papers extensively covered Santos’ two matches in Nigeria thus making them credible sources.

The reason why some versions of the supposed ceasefire story state 1967 could be attributed to an error in Pelé’s 1977 autobiography My Life and the Beautiful Game. He said in the book that he visited Lagos in 1967 with Santos, but he and Santos didn’t visit Lagos until 1969. Pelé travelled a lot with Santos in the sixties so it is no surprise that he got the dates mixed up. It is interesting that Pelé didn’t mention the supposed ceasefire story in his 1977 book and yet, he does in his 2007 autobiography Pelé: The Autobiography. He recalls the match taking place at Lagos in 1969. The Benin match isn’t mentioned in either of the books.

It is also assumed in some ceasefire accounts that the Midwest Governor, Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Ogbemudia, opened the SaPelé Bridge to enable Biafrans travel from Biafra into Benin to watch the match. Actually, the toll bridge was specifically opened on match day so that fans wouldn’t have to incur extra charges to watch the match not for Biafrans to have access to the match.

It is unlikely that any Biafran would have dared to travel from Biafra (south-east of Nigeria) to any of the two Santos matches. The fear of detention or execution by Federal soldiers would have deterred even the most passionate Biafran football fan. It also didn’t help that four days before the Benin match, a Biafran aircraft bombed a village, Obagie, eight miles from Benin. Four farmers were killed in the air raid and several were injured. This Midwest bombing would have made any ceasefire truce between the Nigerian Government and Biafra unlikely for Santos’ match in Benin. The Midwest Governor didn’t mention a ceasefire with Biafra in his account about the Benin match written in his ‘Eighteen Months of Stewardship’ report. This was published a month after the match.

Guilherme Guarche, Santos historian and Coordinator of Santos’ Memory and Statistics Centre, stated on the club’s website in early 2015 that the original source of the 1969 ceasefire story was a 1990 Placar magazine article on Pelé by Michel Laurence, a French-Brazilian journalist. This story is mentioned briefly in the article as one of the interesting incidents that occurred during Pelé’s football career.

“I’m not sure it’s completely true,” Pelé said in his 2007 book about the 48-hour ceasefire story, “But the Nigerians certainly made sure the Biafrans wouldn’t invade Lagos while we were there.” He recalled “a huge military presence on the streets” and protection by the army and police during their stay in Nigeria.

He also said in his book that the Santos’ business manager assured the players that the Nigerian civil war would be stopped for their exhibition match and it wouldn’t be a problem for the authorities.

Pelé, however, doesn’t raise his doubts about the ceasefire story during his 2011 interview with CNN.
He reinforced the ceasefire legend in this interview.

Aired April 27, 2011

Excerpted interview transcript:

Pelé: Yes, that’s — I feel proud of that. Because, you know, with my team, Santos — this you have in the film, my biography — we stop war. Because the people were so crazy for football — they love football, they stop the war to see Santos play in Africa.

COREN: Yes, you are referring to 1967, when the cease-fire —

Pelé: Exactly.

COREN: — was announced in Nigeria for 48 hours so that both warring factions could watch you play in Lagos. I mean, that is just phenomenal.

Pelé: All the Africans play — It is different — because we didn’t expect that. The same what I used to say, when we travel, where we stay, we try to give always good message. You know? This is a big responsibility, but I trust God.

Pelé’s global status, as well as the location of the incident (a civil war ravaged African country – Nigeria), made the ceasefire story believable. If any sports personality could stop a civil war in an African country in the sixties then it would be Pelé.

The only problem with Pelé’s Nigerian civil war ceasefire story is that it isn’t true.

http://africasacountry.com/2015/10/when-pele-played-in-nigeria-during-its-civil-war-did-he-really-bring-a-ceasefire/

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Dexema(m): 7:39pm On Jun 27, 2017
Pheals:
an elderly man told me long ago and I failed to believe...I love football as a young lady, he added " Pele played for the two teams that day and scored for both side (opposition) "

Your widows peak fit cut person hand.
Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Dexema(m): 7:46pm On Jun 27, 2017
napoleon77:
The Nigerian Ceasefire Legend

So did Pelé’s visit really cause a pause in hostilities in the Nigerian civil war? And if not, where did this story come from?

There are several versions of the ceasefire story on the Internet. One version states that the match took place in 1967 while another claims it was in 1969. There are reports that the match was played in Lagos and there are also accounts that it was played in Benin.

The ceasefire story is a myth, despite the reports of this story on websites like CNN, Time, The Guardian, The Telegraph, Goal.com, Wikipedia, Globoesporte.com, etc. There is no reported Nigerian evidence of this story. Two key Nigerian newspapers – Nigerian Daily Times (Lagos) and Nigerian Observer (Benin) – were researched for this piece. There was no mention of a civil war ceasefire for a Santos match in the 1969 issues of these two newspapers. Both papers extensively covered Santos’ two matches in Nigeria thus making them credible sources.

The reason why some versions of the supposed ceasefire story state 1967 could be attributed to an error in Pelé’s 1977 autobiography My Life and the Beautiful Game. He said in the book that he visited Lagos in 1967 with Santos, but he and Santos didn’t visit Lagos until 1969. Pelé travelled a lot with Santos in the sixties so it is no surprise that he got the dates mixed up. It is interesting that Pelé didn’t mention the supposed ceasefire story in his 1977 book and yet, he does in his 2007 autobiography Pelé: The Autobiography. He recalls the match taking place at Lagos in 1969. The Benin match isn’t mentioned in either of the books.

It is also assumed in some ceasefire accounts that the Midwest Governor, Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Ogbemudia, opened the SaPelé Bridge to enable Biafrans travel from Biafra into Benin to watch the match. Actually, the toll bridge was specifically opened on match day so that fans wouldn’t have to incur extra charges to watch the match not for Biafrans to have access to the match.

It is unlikely that any Biafran would have dared to travel from Biafra (south-east of Nigeria) to any of the two Santos matches. The fear of detention or execution by Federal soldiers would have deterred even the most passionate Biafran football fan. It also didn’t help that four days before the Benin match, a Biafran aircraft bombed a village, Obagie, eight miles from Benin. Four farmers were killed in the air raid and several were injured. This Midwest bombing would have made any ceasefire truce between the Nigerian Government and Biafra unlikely for Santos’ match in Benin. The Midwest Governor didn’t mention a ceasefire with Biafra in his account about the Benin match written in his ‘Eighteen Months of Stewardship’ report. This was published a month after the match.

Guilherme Guarche, Santos historian and Coordinator of Santos’ Memory and Statistics Centre, stated on the club’s website in early 2015 that the original source of the 1969 ceasefire story was a 1990 Placar magazine article on Pelé by Michel Laurence, a French-Brazilian journalist. This story is mentioned briefly in the article as one of the interesting incidents that occurred during Pelé’s football career.

“I’m not sure it’s completely true,” Pelé said in his 2007 book about the 48-hour ceasefire story, “But the Nigerians certainly made sure the Biafrans wouldn’t invade Lagos while we were there.” He recalled “a huge military presence on the streets” and protection by the army and police during their stay in Nigeria.

He also said in his book that the Santos’ business manager assured the players that the Nigerian civil war would be stopped for their exhibition match and it wouldn’t be a problem for the authorities.

Pelé, however, doesn’t raise his doubts about the ceasefire story during his 2011 interview with CNN.
He reinforced the ceasefire legend in this interview.

Aired April 27, 2011

Excerpted interview transcript:

Pelé: Yes, that’s — I feel proud of that. Because, you know, with my team, Santos — this you have in the film, my biography — we stop war. Because the people were so crazy for football — they love football, they stop the war to see Santos play in Africa.

COREN: Yes, you are referring to 1967, when the cease-fire —

Pelé: Exactly.

COREN: — was announced in Nigeria for 48 hours so that both warring factions could watch you play in Lagos. I mean, that is just phenomenal.

Pelé: All the Africans play — It is different — because we didn’t expect that. The same what I used to say, when we travel, where we stay, we try to give always good message. You know? This is a big responsibility, but I trust God.

Pelé’s global status, as well as the location of the incident (a civil war ravaged African country – Nigeria), made the ceasefire story believable. If any sports personality could stop a civil war in an African country in the sixties then it would be Pelé.

The only problem with Pelé’s Nigerian civil war ceasefire story is that it isn’t true.

http://africasacountry.com/2015/10/when-pele-played-in-nigeria-during-its-civil-war-did-he-really-bring-a-ceasefire/

Nice disclaimer, history shouldn't be distorted to suit anyone, not even the GOAT.

11 Likes

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by Kylekent59: 7:46pm On Jun 27, 2017
Pele striked from an angle and the ball hit d bar, then pele caused commotion saying the post wasn't measured well,so the referee called d officials and they measured d post and found out that there was an error in length so it was adjusted to its accurate position. Pele again striked from that same angle and scored.

The referee was like,this guy u be devil.

Great player in the history of football

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by napoleon77(m): 8:28pm On Jun 27, 2017
maxnedu11:
yes it happened. In 1967, the two factions involved in the Nigerian Civil War agreed to a 48-hour ceasefire so they could watch Pelé play an exhibition game in Lagos . source Wikipedia

Nice story but it's a myth!

The civil war was fought in the East. How could the 2 factions have agreed to a ceasefire in the East in order to watch a match in Lagos? Did the Biafrans go to Lagos to watch the match during the ceasefire?

13 Likes

Re: How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) by megafem1: 8:57pm On Jun 27, 2017
In 1967, the two factions involved in the Nigerian Civil War agreed to a 48-hour ceasefire so they could watch Pelé play an exhibition game in Lagos. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelé

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaju Pinnick Re-elected As NFF President (Photos) / Jose Peseiro Quits As Head Coach Of The Super Eagles - Pulse Sports / Diego Maradona Death Was A Form Of Suicide As Doctor Reveal Attempts To End Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.