Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,139 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple (2183 Views)

Top 3 Smartphone Brands Making Waves In 2019 / Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Unboxing - Other Smartphone Brands Better Sit Up / Top Quality Smartphone Brands Nigerians Should Stop Neglecting.(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by CodecJay(m): 9:04am On Jun 29, 2017
The world’s Technology field has passed the level of technology brands copying designs and ideas from each other, we all need companies that will go to their design and planning tables and come up with unique, amazing designs and technology that will WOW the whole world.

It feels so frustrating hearing that a new phone has been announced; rushing to take a look at the phone only to realize that it looks like a phone you’ve seen trending somewhere else in the smartphone market.

In this post, I want to draw up a comprehensive and detailed list of 6 Android producing smartphone brands that couldn’t withstand copycat natures from copying Apple.

Huawei

This company seemed to be ripping Apple off bit by bit by copying them mercilessly. Take a look at the photo below.

It is so pathetic how Huawei copied iPhone down to the last screw on its new P9. The picture below is not two iPhones stacked up on each other, that’s actually an iPhone on the new Huawei p9

Though they tried to differ in a way by migrating the fingerprint sensor and eliminating the mechanical home button, the two phones share the same styling and finishing.

Again, the company also copied Apple back in 2015 when they first released their Huawei mate S. They launched it with a feature called force touch.

The force torch was first released by Apple on their Apple watch and will later be seen on iPhone 6S as 3D touch.

Huawei’s force touch has the same functionality as the one from Apple which allows screens to detect different levels of pressure.

Oppo

While Oppo’s name is still yet to become a household name in the West, they’ve built an empire in the east to the extent they knocked out Apple and Samsung to take over the Chinese smartphone market.

Maybe it is because the Chinese technology market is really a place where nobody gives a heck where you copied your phone design from. Oppo has achieved a great feat even with its incessant copy of iPhone designs.

Take a look at Oppo’s R9 and it will remind you of how talented Apple designers could be.

Oppo R9 and R9 Plus officially unveiled: the most blatant, shameless iPhone clones we've ever seen

Also look at the new Oppo F1 plus

It’s good to know that the company has been dishing out good phones with good specs and there marketing strategy in China is second to none. But they should know that they cannot conquer the western world with this type of copycat strategy.

Lenovo

Back in 2014, Lenovo joined the leagues of iPhone copycats when they released their S90 Sisley. The phone has the same rounded metal edges and overall design as the iPhone 6. The speaker placement is exactly the same.

Although Lenovo is the fourth-largest smartphone vendor in China and they have shown off their prowess on this phone by making it superb in its level of smartphoness, the phone still falls into the class of iPhone look-alikes.

Compare the Lenovo S90 Sisley with the iPhone 6 below.

The S90 Sisley came with a 13-megapixel camera while iPhone 6 came with an 8-megapixel camera. Lenovo’s phone was a lower resolution 720p screen compared to Apple’s phone. The display is also slightly larger at 5-inches as opposed to the iPhone 6’s 4.7-inch screen.

Lenovo’s phone appears to be just as slim as Apple’s, but it comes with a much more larger 2,300 mAh battery compared to the iPhone 6’s 1,810 mAh battery.

OnePlus

How can I talk about iPhone copycats without including the latest dude that just joined up? The OnePlus 5 was released few days ago and it looked exactly like iPhone 7 plus. The similarities can be seen more from the back around the dual camera area.

OnePlus 5 Specs

Looking at the two phones from the front too, you can still see some similarities popping out.

From the front, the OnePlus 5 (right) also looks strikingly similar to the iPhone 7 Plus.

Although the OnePlus 5 looks like an iPhone, the company put in so much effort into this one to make sure that the smartphone stood out from other iPhone look-alikes and can be able to fend for itself in the smartphone market without the influence of its iPhone look alike design. The features are impressive and it is worthy to be called a flagship phone.

Read: Scratched, Bent and Burned: OnePlus 5 Passes Through The Dreaded Digital Drill Test

So, if you love the design of the iPhone 7 but you prefer Android to iOS, consider the new OnePlus 5.

Xiaomi

Xaiomi is a Chinese company that started 5 years ago. After producing ROMs for the Android freaks, they decided to dive into smartphone production.

Their phones are good, powerful and a force to reckon with in the Chinese and Indian market, but some of their smartphones and even their UI looks similar to that of Apple’s iPhone.

Right from the start, Xiaomi’s smartphone designs have been influenced by iPhone but that’s to an extent. I want to draw your attention to Xiaomi’s UI and how it’s very similar to that of iOS.

Samsung

Apple’s biggest rivalry in the smartphone world. Samsung won’t copy iPhone’s design like the others do and expect to go scot free. Samsung will steal not only design but ideas from iPhone and include them on their phones. An obvious example of Samsung stealing from Apple is the iPhone 4’s glass back panel which Samsung used on their Galaxy S6, Galaxy Note 5, and Galaxy S6 Edge also features a similar glass back panels.

Some new Samsung phones come with an all-glass back just like the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.

Also, the original galaxy s phone even looks like an iPhone.

It is just obvious Samsung copied a lot of ideas from Apple on its way up to become a Smartphone giant.

Samsung loves to copy Apple and being a big rival, they’ve been hunted so many times because of that. It’s about 5 years now since they concluded with the last case of patent infringement lawsuits for of Samsung copying the overall look and feel of the iPhone. Samsung agreed to pay the to pay Apple $548 million in damages for infringing on a number of iPhone and iPad patents. While Samsung is still owing around $149 million, the remaining $399 million balance has been wiped out but will certainly be recalculated in the lower courts.

Conclusion:

Apple hires the best designers in the world, and they produce the best designs for the Apple smartphones and that is why they are at the top in the tech industry and 9th largest company worldwide according to Forbes.

The fact is, so many young smartphone companies are taking inspiration from iPhone. They want to start from what’s already working in the smartphone industry, implement their own technology at least have a say in this ever growing industry. But while everywhere seemed calm and anybody brand can pop up, copy and do smartphone design malpractice on another brand and still make sales, will this always be the same every year in this industry?

Source:
http://droidengage.com/smartphone-brands-that-couldnt-stop-themselves-from-copying-apple/

Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by Kondomatic(m): 9:07am On Jun 29, 2017
Apple also copy from others, the only difference is that Apple copies responsibly.

1 Like

Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by CodecJay(m): 9:11am On Jun 29, 2017
Kondomatic:
Apple also copy from others, the only difference is that Apple copies responsibly.

Thank you for using that word "Responsibly" It means alot.

See, it is cool to copy and copy responsibly, but it is foolish to copy and not add your own unique touch to what you have copied before bringing it out to the public. The outcome is that your copied product can never be greater than the original if you fail to add your own touch to the finish.

1 Like

Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by ipobarecriminals: 9:41am On Jun 29, 2017
nah dem sabi.They kip dumping worthless plastic calculator they Kal phone here..With useless battery
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by daamazing(m): 9:58am On Jun 29, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
nah dem sabi.They kip dumping worthless plastic calculator they Kal phone here..With useless battery
oga shift... Use your tecno camon c8 in peace!
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by ipobarecriminals: 10:11am On Jun 29, 2017
daamazing:
oga shift... Use your tecno camon c8 in peace!
sorry,I'm not a fan of Tecno.i once use Tecno A phantom, I nor how much I sell it off.Nor of my family use Tecno.Iphone 6 dey, Samsung and LG dey.
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by paulgabrielz: 10:15am On Jun 29, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
sorry,I'm not a fan of Tecno.i once use Tecno A phantom, I nor how much I sell it off.Nor of my family use Tecno.Iphone 6 dey, Samsung and LG dey.

same here oooh
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by daamazing(m): 10:21am On Jun 29, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
You hype iPhone, Samsung, LG and fault devices like one plus, Vivo, xiaomi, Meizu.. grin.. You know nothing sir!

1 Like

Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by ipobarecriminals: 10:27am On Jun 29, 2017
daamazing:
You hype iPhone, Samsung, LG and fault devices like one plus, Vivo, xiaomi, Meizu.. grin.. You know nothing sir!
I can't waste my money to buy Maizu, Naomi Vivian, 1+1 whatever useless brand dey are.I can't allow one roadside mechanic to dey use petrol to wash my device.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by CodecJay(m): 12:18pm On Jun 29, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
Lmao, it's not their fault, they are trying to immitate what is already working in the market. At least that's what they believe in china

But, wait oga, who kips dumping? iPhone or the chinese phones I just mentioned?
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by MrBONE2(m): 12:57pm On Jun 29, 2017
Even Tiger and Lion Wood copy me on how i play Guwara Guwara grin
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by Ennyholar: 5:01pm On Jun 29, 2017
ipobarecriminals:

Thats how Evans find and kidnap them

I love my Tecno and am enjoying it in peace

2 Likes

Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by TappGroupNG: 5:03pm On Jun 29, 2017
Some tecno phones are not bad at all.
This new L9 and Camon cx is quite good
ipobarecriminals:
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by ddjay: 5:10pm On Jun 29, 2017
mcheeww, what annoys me d most is dat iPhone home button dat dey r over-coppying and even gave it a nickname called fingerprint scanner
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by Tamaramientei: 5:30pm On Jun 29, 2017
My friend that uses the L9+ can't stop raving over the phone
TappGroupNG:
Some tecno phones are not bad at all.
This new L9 and Camon cx is quite good
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by MarkWayne89: 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2017
Everybody is copying everybody, but OnePlus exaggerated a bit with their last model. Seriously now, it looks way too much like an iPhone 7!
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by realtem(m): 2:51pm On Jun 30, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
I can't waste my money to buy Maizu, Naomi Vivian, 1+1 whatever useless brand dey are.I can't allow one roadside mechanic to dey use petrol to wash my device.
Chai, see hatred.

But seriously, i don't know what is the problem with guys like you. Most people agree that sammy,apple,lg and other top smartphone manufacturers are the best, anybody that argues otherwise must have a nut loose in their head. but these chinese brands provide nice specs at a cheap price, they are the reason some people use smartphones today, they are the reason some people know how using a fingerprint scanner feels today and so on.
Let everybody buy according to their financial status(who told you camon cx owners don't want an s8+).

As you dey vex say make we no use chinese brands again.... Coman dash me s8 na grin
Re: 6 Smartphone Brands That Couldn’t Stop Themselves From Copying Apple by TappGroupNG: 2:58pm On Jun 30, 2017
The phones are really good to me
Me that can't afford a Samsung can at least buy a good tecno phone
Tamaramientei:
My friend that uses the L9+ can't stop raving over the phone

(1) (Reply)

Brand New Xiaomi Redmi 4x Up For Grab / Did GLO Add To Its 4G LTE Bandwidth Frequency? / Samsung Introduces Cheaper Galaxy S10 Lite, Galaxy Note10 Lite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.