Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,534 members, 7,823,319 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders (1442 Views)

Happy Birthday To One Of The Greatest Midfielders We've Ever Seen, #yayatoure / Premier League Payments 2017/18: Man United Receive More Than Manchester City / Which Team Won The First Match In This Current 2017/18 English Premier League? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by inMyOpeenion(f): 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2017
EPL TOP SIX SEARCHING FOR THEIR KANTE

Talking of extreme impact and swift crucial-ity, Chelsea's Defensive Midfielder has unarguably offered what only couple of footballers offered in the 25years history of the English Premier League. He is the first footballer to play a striking significant role in two EPL consecutive years.

He secured the trophy with Leicester City (an unlikely winner) before switching allegiance to Chelsea. He performed with Leicester positively, seeing him being a runner up of the PFA award behind his team mate Riyad Mahrez.

He furthermore won the coveted PFA Award in Stamford Bridge and bagging himself also the FWA Award of the year. His contribution to the EPL can't be over emphasized and however, became the first player to win two consecutive EPL trophy in different Jersey.

EPL managers sought for two particular abilities in their Defensive midfielders; they need a Defensive DMF and not an holding DMF; also, Energetic DMF instead of solid. These abilities has been found wanting after the retirement of the likes of Patrick Viera, Claude Makalele and Roy Keane from EPL. Thanks to N'Golo Kante, this era is gradually pitching in again.

Possesion play dominated EPL for a short period but by stat, attacks not balanced with defense will lead any EPL team off the trophy. This helped Leicester in lifting the trophy in the 2015/16 era and also contributed a lot to Chelsea lifting their second trophy in 2 years. Imagine a team playing 12 consecutive matches without conceding a goal.

Starting with Manchester city Pep's team should see the need of getting a strong, solid and energetic DMF. Pep noticed how possession play wouldn't earn him profit for his sweat in the EPL. Playing fernandinho in different position and Ilkay Gundogan with injury issues plus the fact that he plays Silva and De Bruyne in the midfield trio, getting a superb DMF would likely get him the trophy

Still in Manchester... Manchester United are poised to overthrow Chelsea in the battle of the Midfields. A record-breaking and in-form Pogba moving forward as an AMF, seeing (the mobile) Ander Herrera paired with (strong but immobile) Nemanja Matic [I]if finally brought in from Stamford[/i] would give Jose a balanced and unpenetratable midfield.

Off to Mersyside. Liverpool's Klopp see's the reason of a DMF, he however wants an upgrade for Jordan Henderson who was obviously in a great form for their 2016/17 era; hence he is bent on adding Leipzig's Naby Keita to Anfield's players.

Liverpool, compared with Manchester City would use two attacking Midfielders and rely on just one DMF. The arrival of Salah would definitely push Coutinho to the midfield alongside Adam Lallana, Hence Klopp will definitely need a strong cover behind them.

North London would however not be needing the introduction of another DMF. Granit Xhaka, signed last summer has been a Hybrid Midfielder, a tough tackler and a genuine deep playmaker. The only con of this wonderful player is that he get too much in trouble with the Referees, but second half of last EPL was great for him.

He, however worked well with Ramsey thrpughout last season and he featured well in Wenger's 3-4-3 formation used for the final 2 months of the 2016/17 EPL. Wenger is not the type to get a DMF easily given the fact that he still has Coquelin and Elneny on bench.

Tottenham seems to be great in midfield already with Victor Wayanma who enjoyed a successful last season. This saw Eric Dier pushed to DMF and he performed well. The WhiteHeartLane is the only top six of the EPL that needs a foward thinking Midfield instead of Defensive after the signing of Moussa Sissoko from Newcastle prove unsuccessful.

Chelsea on the other hand is going to storm England with an all-round perfect Midfield. With the signing of Tiemoue Bakayoko from Monaco who can be broadly compared with Kante, I see a deadly and fearsome Midfield in Stamfor Bridge next season.

Cc: Mukina2
Lalasticlala
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by Segadem(m): 3:38pm On Jun 29, 2017
na only six team dhey England ni? grin
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by inMyOpeenion(f): 3:43pm On Jun 29, 2017
Segadem:
na only six team dhey England ni? grin
nah! Just picking the top six teams.
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by Funlord2(m): 4:40pm On Jun 29, 2017
Wetin all dis noise dey about?

Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by ChristineC: 8:57pm On Jun 29, 2017
I actually think Chelsea's midfield will be the worst next season.

when a team line up with N'golo Kante, Nemanja Matic and Tiemoue Bakayoko in the same squad I wonder if the coach is trying to protect the Queen. brute force, zilch ball sense, zilch retention ability, creativity numbers in the negative scales. that's invariably more work load on Eden Hazard and we all know how he crumbles like paper bag when he's pressured grin grin grin

I pity Chelsea.

good effort from you though in this male dominated caban.

1 Like

Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by ogbiwa: 10:24am On Jun 30, 2017
Good analysis OP. Surprising you're a lady.

For Ars, Granit Xhaka is not a mobile DMF. He's simply a deep lying midfielder who, because of his passing range and long pass ability, prefers spraying the passes out wide from an almost static position. However with Wenger joining the band of copycat managers switching to the 3-4-3 after Conte's obvious success with it, it is almost ideal for Xhaka as the formation plays to his strengths. In this formation it's all about the wingbacks and attacking players, the holding midfielders basically do less other than protecting their back 3 and occasionally linking up with the attacking trio. Only one or two solid DMFs are needed here to make sure the wingbacks and attacking trio receive the ball when they get into forward position. Little wonder we started seeing the best of Xhaka towards the end of the season when Wenger switched formation. Recommended buy: Aguero/Lacazette/Mbappe, Van Dijk, Fabinho/Gueye/Keita/Bakayoko and/or recall Nwakali and give the kid a chance, Keep Ozil, Perez and Bellerin. Sell: Gibbs, Chamberlain, Sanchez if he can get Mbappe or Lemar, Debuchy, Giroud, Walcott, Ramsey, Wilshire, Schzesney.

For Liv, Jordan henderson comes close however having started almost half of the season on the treatment table, I don't see him having that sustained effect. Also Can doesn't do it for me as he is inconsistent. No idea why Klopp is letting Lucas leave and recruiting Salah where he already has an array of attacking wingers in Mane, Lallana, Coutinho and even Firminho. Time will tell. Recommended buy: Bakayoko, Reina, Ryan Bertrand, Keep Coutinho and Lucas and bring back Sakho rather than splashing out all that money on Van Dijk. Sell Moreno, Sturridge.

For Mnu, Ander Herrera is my best pick at DMF besides Kante. Fast, strong, energetic, mobile, box to box, has a good eye for a pass, can score goals, breaks up play and sets up attack in one move (like he did against Chelsea to set up Rashford), is better than Kante in his ball technique and attacking play, brilliant man-marking skills (they had to remove Eden Hazard from his pocket while washing his shorts after the Chelsea game). I remember watching the Man Utd-Chelsea game and thinking this is the guy that should have cost 89m while Pogba should have been 32m. With Herrera, Pogba, Carrick, even Blind in United's ranks, going for Matic could mean Jose is reverting to his defend, choke and hit on counter tactics that brought him success in his first stint at Chelsea and also to Leicester City. Though I guess new and brilliant Prem Managers now like Pep, Conte, Poch, Klopp etc would have learnt how to counter such tactics. He must know there's so much demand on him now to win the title with this expensively assembled squad.
Recommended buys: Aguero, Sanchez, Morata, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, Keep De Gea. Let Ibrahimovic leave.

To be continued

1 Like

Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by inMyOpeenion(f): 1:30pm On Jun 30, 2017
ChristineC:
I actually think Chelsea's midfield will be the worst next season.

when a team line up with N'golo Kante, Nemanja Matic and Tiemoue Bakayoko in the same squad I wonder if the coach is trying to protect the Queen. brute force, zilch ball sense, zilch retention ability, creativity numbers in the negative scales. that's invariably more work load on Eden Hazard and we all know how he crumbles like paper bag when he's pressured grin grin grin

I pity Chelsea.

good effort from you though in this male dominated caban.
something you're yet to know about Chelsea: they are always willing to keep more clean sheet, concede less goals and are always wanting to be a goal threatener! Don't write them off cos when they sell off their static Matic that lacks creativity and eye for spray passes and they bring in Bakayoko (alongside the Almighty Kante) who is better going forward and as well as defending; with Sandro on the left as an LB and (if God willing) Jeremy Toljan on that CB replacing or playing alongside Cahill... That's when you'll realize that it will take 2 Pogba and 2 Sanchez to get past those Defenders repeatedly.
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by inMyOpeenion(f): 1:46pm On Jun 30, 2017
ogbiwa:

For Ars, Granit Xhaka is not a mobile DMF. He's simply a deep lying midfielder who, because of his passing range and long pass ability, prefers spraying the passes out wide from an almost static position. However with Wenger joining the band of copycat managers switching to the 3-4-3 after Conte's obvious success with it, it is almost ideal for Xhaka as the formation plays to his strengths. In this formation it's all about the wingbacks and attacking players, the holding midfielders basically do less other than protecting their back 3 and occasionally linking up with the attacking trio. Only one or two solid DMFs are needed here to make sure the wingbacks and attacking trio receive the ball when they get into forward position. Little wonder we started seeing the best of Xhaka towards the end of the season when Wenger switched formation. Recommended buy: Aguero/Lacazette/Mbappe, Van Dijk, Fabinho/Gueye/Keita/Bakayoko and/or recall Nwakali and give the kid a chance, Keep Ozil, Perez and Bellerin. Sell: Gibbs, Chamberlain, Sanchez if he can get Mbappe or Lemar, Debuchy, Giroud, Walcott, Ramsey, Wilshire, Schzesney.

For Liv, Jordan henderson comes close however having started almost half of the season on the treatment table, I don't see him having that sustained effect. Also Can doesn't do it for me as he is inconsistent. No idea why Klopp is letting Lucas leave and recruiting Salah where he already has an array of attacking wingers in Mane, Lallana, Coutinho and even Firminho. Time will tell. Recommended buy: Bakayoko, Reina, Ryan Bertrand, Keep Coutinho and Lucas and bring back Sakho rather than splashing out all that money on Van Dijk. Sell Moreno, Sturridge.

For Mnu, Ander Herrera is my best pick at DMF besides Kante. Fast, strong, energetic, mobile, box to box, has a good eye for a pass, can score goals, breaks up play and sets up attack in one move (like he did against Chelsea to set up Rashford), is better than Kante in his ball technique and attacking play, brilliant man-marking skills (they had to remove Eden Hazard from his pocket while washing his shorts after the Chelsea game). I remember watching the Man Utd-Chelsea game and thinking this is the guy that should have cost 89m while Pogba should have been 32m. With Herrera, Pogba, Carrick, even Blind in United's ranks, going for Matic could mean Jose is reverting to his defend, choke and hit on counter tactics that brought him success in his first stint at Chelsea and also to Leicester City. Though I guess new and brilliant Prem Managers now like Pep, Conte, Poch, Klopp etc would have learnt how to counter such tactics. He must know there's so much demand on him now to win the title with this expensively assembled squad.
Recommended buys: Aguero, Sanchez, Morata, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, Keep De Gea. Let Ibrahimovic leave.

To be continued

Among all these Managers, I guess Mou is still using this 'try and error' thingy. Seriously, I see no need for him getting Matic. He's always too bent on defense. This isn't too bad tho, He should get a sharp and swift striker if he actually wants the same thing he did at Chelsea in Man Utd, back then he had a Drogba.

Klopp? Just leave that guy, he's the opposite of Mou, he's crazy on recruiting attacking midfielders. He will learn his lessons this season in UCL.

Chelsea too... Getting too much of defense on their transfer table

Cabalaero
Sandrow
Blackayoko
Trojan and yet, some are still saying they shouldn't have sold Ake, Cahill is still instrumental, Alonso is a good defender and scorer.

And they are even going for the wrong striker - Lukaku. I pray they don't overuse Hazard next season. Vitolo might come tho
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by ChristineC: 2:17pm On Jun 30, 2017
inMyOpeenion:
something you're yet to know about Chelsea: they are always willing to keep more clean sheet, concede less goals and are always wanting to be a goal threatener! Don't write them off cos when they sell off their static Matic that lacks creativity and eye for spray passes and they bring in Bakayoko (alongside the Almighty Kante) who is better going forward and as well as defending; with Sandro on the left as an LB and (if God willing) Jeremy Toljan on that CB replacing or playing alongside Cahill... That's when you'll realize that it will take 2 Pogba and 2 Sanchez to get past those Defenders repeatedly.
you are making postulations.
which club will assist Chelsea's transfer budget with £40m for static Nemanja Matic to begin with? grin grin
so Bakayoko is now the next best thing slice bread hehehe

If Chelsea don't bring in a creative midfielder who can also retain the ball under pressure by the end of the transfer window, better expect the worst.
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by inMyOpeenion(f): 2:36pm On Jun 30, 2017
ChristineC:
you are making postulations.
which club will assist Chelsea's transfer budget with £40m for static Nemanja Matic to begin with? grin grin
so Bakayoko is now the next best thing slice bread hehehe

If Chelsea don't bring in a creative midfielder who can also retain the ball under pressure by the end of the transfer window, better expect the worst.
I know all these are just speculation born out of positive hypothesis. Come back when the transfer window closes to count the players Chelsea will buy, that's when you can boldly say they should expect the worst.
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by ogbiwa: 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2017
Continued

For Mnc, I think traditionally Pep is a coach that favours possession, attacking play, which is why he fills his midfield with attacking players like De Bruyne and Silva at same time, and when he plays otherwise DMs like Toure, Gundogan, Fernandinho and even Delph, we find they end up joining the attack. Pep builds his team play from the back, not from the midfield. This is why he prefers and splashes the big bucks on ball-playing GKs and CBs over traditional ones ergo Bravo over Hart and Stones over Demichelis/Otamendi. It gets bad that he would rather play a ball playing CM in defence like he does so often with Fernandinho (At Barca Pep has severaly used Yaya Toure in defensive roles and was also responsible for the successful transition of Javier Maschareno from a CDM to a now reputable CB). So outright DMFs don't generally last in Pep's teams as they're not key components of his playing style. I reckon If they can manage to keep Vincent Kompany on the pitch for as many games next season, keep Silva/De Bruyne fit as well as hold Aguero and keep him happy, with the addition of the Benfica shot stopper and Bernado Silva and a few further tweaks, he's got a great squad and no reason not to be a top runner for the title next season. If Pep doesn't win a trophy next term especially the title, I reckon he'll leave or be sacked either way. He's too proud and City is too ambitious to endure two barren campaigns
Recommended buy: Dani Alves/Kyle Walker/Hector Bellerin, Danny Rose, Keep Aguero. Regardless of what anyone thinks he's still a 20+ goals a season striker, except they can use him to exchange for Sanchez, another 20+ a season. Though not an outright striker like Aguero but that's why they've got Jesus right. Sell: Now they've gotten another expensive GK I think it's time to finally let Hart leave for good. Also let Iheanacho leave to a lesser club for more game time and experience. He can come back later. I was never among those who thought he should be at City at this time. Yes kids his age succeed at bigger clubs but this is not just about age now for young Kelechi but mental strength as well which I think he's lacking at this stage. Also clear Sagna, Kolarov, Clichy, Fernando, Nasri

For Che, the champions once again look like a complete team with capable hands in all departments like they did during the victorious 2014/2015 campaign. And in Conte they have a manager who looks like he knows how to grind out results when it matters, Sir Alex Ferguson mould. However with the uncertainty surrounding the future of Diego Costa, I have to say the blues need to sort out that uncertainty and fast. Before you know it one unresolved bad blood can suddenly spread so fast and in turn transfer to every other aspect of the team, thereby crippling a once efficient machine, as every cog has to be effective to keep the machine running. Did I say bad blood? Yes I did and will explain. As class an act and as gentlemanly as Conte has been throughout last season, I don't think there was anything classy about informing your top striker and top scorer that you don't need him anymore THROUGH A TEXT. That's just silly. And players can be funny. Smaller issues can make them down tools and decide not to play for a manager to get him sacked. Where have we heard something like this before? Yes you guessed...Chelsea. So Conte and the Stamford bridge hierarchy must solve this mess fast before one seeming small issue crumbles the whole pack of cards they built last season, case of little leaven leavening the whole lump. Then Chelsea don't have an awful lot of creativity in their starting 11, it beats the common imagination then when he has one of the most creative midfielders in the world idling away on his bench. Give Cesc his due chance mate! Gosh! Other than that, I think Conte still has the most complete squad from the GK all through to the front and should be a force in the coming campaign.
Recommended buy: Bakayoko, IF Matic leaves, Aguero/Kane/Josh King, IF Costa leaves, Lanzini/Sigurdsson/Eriksen IF he won't keep using Fabregas, keep Bastchuayi as cover, not seen his best yet, and definitely keep Courtouis whatever it takes. Sell: Willian. The man is too good for the bench. Allow him go somewhere else he'll get playing time. The World Cup is less than a year away, repeat same for Zouma, though make it a loan. Allow Ake join Bournemouth. He's obviously happy when he's playing there and for sakes you guys have enough talents already, allow the Cherries have just this one it'll help them greatly. Finally, If Costa finds a suitable club, let him leave with the dignity he deserves and cash in on him. If I was Costa I'd probably never play for Conte with my whole heart again.

For Tot, What a job Pochettino and chairman Daniel Levy have done at the club. I think other upcoming clubs should study Spurs as a model of "how to run a football club with modest means". They've been slowly and steadily building in the background and then suddenly it blew up, suddenly the power mantle in North London has shifted from the red side to the white side. Want proof? for starters they're going to the champions league next season, Arsenal are not. I think we have to finally admit that the Spurs are now here to stay as a Premier League powerhouse because they've now permanently disrupted the traditional top four as we used to know it. At times last season they blew teams away with terrifying ease and grace, even teams that were traditionally above them in rankings and ratings. And in Walker/Alderwereid/Vertonghen/Rose they've got one of the most compact rearguards in the land. Wanyama has been a mountain all season and bullish. Son epitomizes Poch's phenomenon of never stop running. Eriksen and Alli played so well that the links with Barca were no fluke, and in Harry Kane they've got a potent mixture of Shearer, Nistelrooy and Bergkamp rolled into one, all on a budget that would make other Prem big spenders cover their faces in shame.Way forward? They're already on track, with the construction of a new stadium that would in itself portray their current statement. I see them finishing above Arsenal again next season, and the season after that. They may not win the title yet, especially because moving to new grounds can be one of the most challenging periods in a club's history: Ask Arsenal at the emirates, West Ham at the Olympic Stadium and...Tottenham at Wembley. Their biggest challenge however will be holding on to this talented crop of players and keeping them together. I fear that will be impossible though. But one thing is sure: we won't be hearing Saint Totterinham's day jokes again for quite sometime.
Recommended buy: Van Dijk, Ousmane Dembele, Mahrez, Josh King, Keep Alderwereid, Walker, Rose, Alli, Eriksen, Kane. Sell Moussa Sissoko, for same reason as Willian above.
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by iPopAlomo(m): 9:59pm On Jun 30, 2017
ogbiwa:

To be continued

I stopped reading this shit when you said Arsene Wenger joined the 3-4-3 bandwagon... know your history boy... that was Arsene's formation in his early years as an Arsenal manager... all this biscuit fans serf... gerrahia mehn!!!
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by ogbiwa: 9:09am On Jul 01, 2017
iPopAlomo:

I stopped reading this shit when you said Arsene Wenger joined the 3-4-3 bandwagon... know your history boy... that was Arsene's formation in his early years as an Arsenal manager... all this biscuit fans serf... gerrahia mehn!!!

Sorry mate. The insults are unnecessary though. But it seems like you have limited understanding of the game, even though it's my understanding that you've been following for so long like you say.

For starters I never claimed Conte is the originator of the 3-4-3 nor that Wenger doesn't know about the formation. Of course he knows the formation and every other formation there is. He's a professional football coach that's his job. That's where you failed the first understanding.

Secondly, we're not doubting whether he has used this formation in the past before. Heck every coach out there has tried their hands on several formations in the past trying to find the one that works for them. Wenger we know generally settled for the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. He introduced modern English football to that attacking style. But for him to have never ever trialled the 3-4-3 anytime for the past 10 years+ only to 'remember' it this year, midway into the season, in the same season and league, that another manager has started using it to devastating effect, reeks of hypocrisy bro.

Thirdly though this is a point on tactics I hope you know something about it. The modern 3-4-3 relies heavily on attacking wingbacks. When did you think the concept of attacking wingbacks was introduced into football? For that matter when did you think full backs (RB & LB) became secondary wingers? Only a few years ago, full backs were primarily concerned with defending while the outside wingers (RMF & LMF) were largely entrusted with crossing the ball. Back then a static, slow player could still play as a full back. Now full backs are generally the fittest people on the team cos they defend and attack. Football changes and so does tactics. So that your manager tried 3-4-3 sometime ago by lining up 4 midfielders in a line doesn't mean that's the same thing now. If not, name the 'wingbacks' he used in his 3-4-3 back then and the ones he used this season.

Enough said
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by iPopAlomo(m): 9:30am On Jul 01, 2017
ogbiwa:

Sorry mate. The insults are unnecessary though. But it seems like you have limited understanding of the game, even though it's my understanding that you've been following for so long like you say.

For starters I never claimed Conte is the originator of the 3-4-3 nor that Wenger doesn't know about the formation. Of course he knows the formation and every other formation there is. He's a professional football coach that's his job. That's where you failed the first understanding.

Secondly, we're not doubting whether he has used this formation in the past before. Heck every coach out there has tried their hands on several formations in the past trying to find the one that works for them. Wenger we know generally settled for the 4-3-3. He introduced modern English football to that tactics. But for him to have never ever trialled the 3-4-3 anytime for the past 10 years+ only to 'remember' it this year, midway into the season, in the same season and league, that another manager has started using it to devastating effect, reeks of hypocrisy bro.

Thirdly though this is a point on tactics I hope you know something about it. The modern 3-4-3 relies heavily on attacking wingbacks. When did you think the concept of attacking wingbacks was introduced into football? For that matter when did you think full backs (RB & LB) became secondary wingers? Only a few years ago, full backs were primarily concerned with defending while the outside wingers (RMF & LMF) were largely entrusted with crossing the ball. Back then a static, slow player could still play as a full back. Now full backs are generally the fittest people on the team cos they defend and attack. Football changes and so does tactics. So that your manager tried 3-4-3 sometime ago by lining up 4 midfielders in a line doesn't mean that's the same thing now. If not, name the 'wingbacks' he used in his 3-4-3 back then and the ones he used this season.

Enough said

Mr man... if you're a football fan... because I'm sure you aren't an arsenal fan... as long as you watch football... every time we have a red carded player (Arsenal in this context) we use three at the back... 3-4-2 or 3-5-1...

please... in the last ten years... I can get my kobo Arsenal has played at least one match with a man down...

like I said... you just started watching football... we've been a football fan since 1996... Arsenal fan since 1999...

Then Arsenal's don't use full backs... we've always patronize wing backs... Dixon, lauren, Cole, Eboue, Sagna, Clichy... all them niggas bombing forward...

guy... I played football manager too... got into it 2007... and yes wing backs existed...

A very solid example of a wing back... my best ever forever... Roberto Carlos... was he a full back or a wing back... played when footballers still use boxer pants to play football...

you know nothing about tactics... even the O.P is more sound tactically than you... and she's a lady... which means she earns my respect... you on the other hand...
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by ogbiwa: 11:54am On Jul 01, 2017
iPopAlomo:

Mr man... if you're a football fan... because I'm sure you aren't an arsenal fan... as long as you watch football... every time we have a red carded player (Arsenal in this context) we use three at the back... 3-4-2 or 3-5-1...

please... in the last ten years... I can get my kobo Arsenal has played at least one match with a man down...

like I said... you just started watching football... we've been a football fan since 1996... Arsenal fan since 1999...

Then Arsenal's don't use full backs... we've always patronize wing backs... Dixon, lauren, Cole, Eboue, Sagna, Clichy... all them niggas bombing forward...

guy... I played football manager too... got into it 2007... and yes wing backs existed...

A very solid example of a wing back... my best ever forever... Roberto Carlos... was he a full back or a wing back... played when footballers still use boxer pants to play football...

you know nothing about tactics... even the O.P is more sound tactically than you... and she's a lady... which means she earns my respect... you on the other hand...

Mate I never came on this thread to exchange words just football chatter. Though I realize now football chatter is not complete without disagreements and conflicting opinions.

However you're conflicting yourself bro. What started this discuss was you saying Wenger played 3-4-3, I clearly explained the tactic behind that to you, now you turned to say it's 3-4-2 or 3-5-1? Are those football formations? The FM game you played where did you see any of those formations? That a manager tweaks his team around cos of a red card does that suddenly mean that's the formation the manager is known for and plays? I don't argue if you can't be consistent with your points mate.

Secondly I honestly suggest you either google or ask football savvy people on the full definitions of FULL BACKS (RB,LB) and WING BACKS (RWB,LWB) and the DIFFERENCE between them. You most likely can't tell the two apart with what you posted up there and these are not things you learn by just watching football passively for 20 years. Some of them are things you learn by asking questions and researching. So I won't even begin trying to correct what you wrote. Sagna is not a full back right. Wehdone Sir. So because a right or left back bombs forward automatically transforms him to a wingback? You just don't know the difference mate! Pls name one team in any developed league in the world that plays full backs that don't bomb forward, in this day and age?

Finally, I'm not an Arsenal fan nor do I dislike Arsenal. So long as it's a football club I don't have to be a fan to know details about that club, which it seems like I unfortunately do more than you who has been watching for a century. Note at no point here have I mentioned when I started watching football or who started before the other. I feel those are inconsequential if you can't state basic football facts and be consistent with them.

I know you might still probably reply to spew more inaccuracies but I'll probably not reply again as there's obviously nothing to gain in it for me.

Peace.
Re: 2017/18 EPL: A Battle Of The Midfielders by iPopAlomo(m): 12:46pm On Jul 01, 2017
ogbiwa:

Mate I never came on this thread to exchange words just football chatter. Though I realize now football chatter is not complete without disagreements and conflicting opinions.

However you're conflicting yourself bro. What started this discuss was you saying Wenger played 3-4-3, I clearly explained the tactic behind that to you, now you turned to say it's 3-4-2 or 3-5-1? Are those football formations? The FM game you played where did you see any of those formations? That a manager tweaks his team around cos of a red card does that suddenly mean that's the formation the manager is known for and plays? I don't argue if you can't be consistent with your points mate.

Secondly I honestly suggest you either google or ask football savvy people on the full definitions of FULL BACKS (RB,LB) and WING BACKS (RWB,LWB) and the DIFFERENCE between them. You most likely can't tell the two apart with what you posted up there and these are not things you learn by just watching football passively for 20 years. Some of them are things you learn by asking questions and researching. So I won't even begin trying to correct what you wrote. Sagna is not a full back right. Wehdone Sir. So because a right or left back bombs forward automatically transforms him to a wingback? You just don't know the difference mate! Pls name one team in any developed league in the world that plays full backs that don't bomb forward, in this day and age?

Finally, I'm not an Arsenal fan nor do I dislike Arsenal. So long as it's a football club I don't have to be a fan to know details about that club, which it seems like I unfortunately do more than you who has been watching for a century. Note at no point here have I mentioned when I started watching football or who started before the other. I feel those are inconsequential if you can't state basic football facts and be consistent with them.

I know you might still probably reply to spew more inaccuracies but I'll probably not reply again as there's obviously nothing to gain in it for me.

Peace.

English is worrying you...

when arsenal is a man down...
when an arsenal player has been sent off...
when an arsenal player is injured and all 3 subs has been used...

Arsene Wenger uses 3 at the back...

thereby switching his favoured 4-3-3 to 3-5-1 or 3-4-2... the only person looking for straws to clutch on his you...

fyi: from Google...

A wingback is expected to go up and down their respective wings to support in attack when in possession and come back and defend when out of possession.
A fullback's primary job is to defend first and then if the team is on the ascendancy, join in on the attack.
But, in modern football, there's hardly any difference. You see fullbacks like Shaw, Baines, Alves, Alba etc who are more suited to an attacking role i.e wingback than a fullback but are comfortable playing either position with ease.

better read my previous posts again...

3-5-1 and 3-4-2 indicates a player is missing...

(1) (Reply)

The English Premier Leaguetable After Saturday's Round Of Matches / Mourinho Hopes To Coach Man. Utd. / Alex Ferguson Faults Chelsea, Defends Ref Clattenburg In ‘racism’ Row

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.